Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Also in sunbro news, I found a greatshield with a taunt skill today. Maybe that'll help keep particularly dumb hosts alive for a little longer, who knows.

Jimbot posted:

Is there a secret or good method of getting the items on the lava floor? Does this game have the that ring from Dark Souls 1 where it reduces lava damage to basically nothing?

Flash sweat pyromancy, red bug pellet, and lots and lots and lots of estus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Am I insane or is the lock-on range in DS3 noticeably shorter than it was in previous games? After 150+ hours of the first two games my timing is all off trying to lock-on on maximum distance and I'll frequently drop lock-on while casting. This has made my sorcery build very frustrating (on top of all the other frustrations of playing a sorcerer).

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
120k Souls, just gone, like dust in the wind...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Is there a secret or good method of getting the items on the lava floor? Does this game have the that ring from Dark Souls 1 where it reduces lava damage to basically nothing?

Even at 70% fire resist, you'll die going in and coming back. If you're fast enough, you can probably Homeward Bone out before you die, but it's otherwise a suicide mission.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Internet Kraken posted:

You know if you just ignore all the stuff from DS2 that happens to be in it.

voltcatfish posted:

And yet it's covered with dark souls 2 references so i dunno

where tho? maybe i missed them? I noticed a plethora of darksouls 1 callbacks and references, and none from ds2. what are they/where are they?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Estus and Flash Sweat will get you there and maybe back.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Also, always remember the greatest weapon of all: gravity.

Kittycat ring is super amazing for invasions because you can get to your hosts quickly without damage or make ridiculous escapes from high.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Question: How many of you complaining about invasions are using smaller weapons that can't reliably hit multiple targets? They work in PvE with smart play but they are awful in multiman invasions.

Switch to a weapon with a wide swing arc and I guarantee you will suddenly find yourself winning more invasions.

God yes. It's great to taunt phantoms into bumrushing you, kiting them through a doorway, and stunlocking them all as they get caught up on each other while you tear through their HP with a wide-arcing weapon.

Monomythian posted:

Kittycat ring is super amazing for invasions because you can get to your hosts quickly without damage or make ridiculously escapes from high.

I had Fall Control perma-attuned in DS1 just cause people would get severe tunnel vision and follow me off 90% damage drops. Spook is the same thing + Hush, and only requires 10 INT, folks.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Zand posted:

where tho? maybe i missed them? I noticed a plethora of darksouls 1 callbacks and references, and none from ds2. what are they/where are they?

ShadowMar posted:

that's exactly why there's a giant tree in firelink that drops seeds as well as all sorts of items, armors, and weapons that mention things directly from it and multiple invaders directly out of that game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zand posted:

A few of the items (Knight Slayer's Ring, Seed of a Giant Tree, the Drang set/maces) and some of the invaders. None of what happened in DS2 is featured in or impacts upon the story of DS3.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

Am I insane or is the lock-on range in DS3 noticeably shorter than it was in previous games? After 150+ hours of the first two games my timing is all off trying to lock-on on maximum distance and I'll frequently drop lock-on while casting. This has made my sorcery build very frustrating (on top of all the other frustrations of playing a sorcerer).

You're not insane, they nerfed lock-on something fierce in this one. The range is shorter, it immediately breaks if the enemy gets behind you and it breaks after ~1-2 seconds if your target is behind an obstacle or otherwise out of view.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Profaned Capital boss spoilers: I read after the fact that Siegward can solo the boss by himself, but that, uh, certainly didn't happen for me. He got owned within 30 seconds and I picked the Storm Ruler off of his corpse and figured it out because I remember Storm King from Demon's Souls. Thankfully Yhorm's attacks are extremely telegraphed and easy to dodge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zand posted:

Literally off the top of my head;

-Corpses turning into trees
-All the items and weapons from DS2
-Children of the Abyss
-Wolnir

And other stuff. The DS2 references aren't thrown in your face as much and a more subtle, which frankly I prefer. There are subtle DS1 references as well but a lot of other ones that are just pointless callbacks thrown in your face. Which From loves to do so I'm hardly surprised by them though.

Vermain posted:

A few of the items (Knight Slayer's Ring, Seed of a Giant Tree, the Drang set/maces) and some of the invaders. None of what happened in DS2 is featured in or impacts upon the story of DS3.

You know, if you don't remember anything that happened in that game sure.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Vermain posted:

oh okay. for a second I thought i completely missed something the way people were responding. flavor text and a few items, maybe a couple of assets like a tree graphic... cool neat. compared to the references to ds1, ds2 is barely acknowledged at all. what a pity :\

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

You know, if you don't remember anything that happened in that game sure.

Which specific events or ideas are you thinking of?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zand posted:

oh okay. for a second I thought i completely missed something the way people were responding. flavor text and a few items, maybe a couple of assets like a tree graphic... cool neat. compared to the references to ds1, ds2 is barely acknowledged at all. what a pity :\
There are several items that are literally called "Drangleic [thing]" dude. By comparison, count the number of times characters in DS3 say the word "Lordran".

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zand posted:

Irithyll is possibly (probably) Eleum Loyce, Yhorm is a descendant of the Giant Lord, Ocelotte and Shanalotte are both half-dragons with names that end in -otte (it's gotta mean something...), along with all the references in item sets, Creighton invades, the Giant tree in Firelink, etc

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Profaned Capital boss spoilers: I read after the fact that Siegward can solo the boss by himself, but that, uh, certainly didn't happen for me. He got owned within 30 seconds and I picked the Storm Ruler off of his corpse and figured it out because I remember Storm King from Demon's Souls. Thankfully Yhorm's attacks are extremely telegraphed and easy to dodge.

On my last playthrough it was me, Siegward, and some random sunbro all taking turns charging and wailing on him with the dumb shockwave thing. It was the coolest thing that's happened in this game so far just for how ridiculous all the shockwaves looked coming from all corners of the room like that.

Also the Shield of Want is a pretty big DS2 reference because wasn't that King Vendrick's shield?

Basically the plot of Dark Souls is "wibbly wobbly timey wi--thrall you didn't see smacks you in the back with an axe--you died."

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 23, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oh yeah and I refuse to believe Archdragon Peak isn't the Dragon Eyrie and that the huge corpse you find isn't the Ancient Dragon.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Samfucius posted:

120k Souls, just gone, like dust in the wind...

Report back again after you lose over 600k souls. :suicide:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TopHatGenius posted:

Report back again after you lose over 600k souls. :suicide:

At least Soul Memory is gone.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Everywhere I invade, it's either some people hosting a fight club, or a gank squad. It's really tiring.

I just want to gently caress around with someone while they're trying to progress through the level. Though it is really satisfying to kill one of those fuckers hosting their gank squads.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The hitbox on the loving Dancer's bullshit gently caress you grab is absolute garbage like what even the gently caress

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

on my first playthrough he loving wrecked yhorm by himself and i barely got to hurt him. my second playthrough he got destroyed within a few seconds and i had to fight him solo. it's weird.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Fuligin posted:

Oh yeah and I refuse to believe Archdragon Peak isn't the Dragon Eyrie and that the huge corpse you find isn't the Ancient Dragon.

How you doing on the boss?

Cause boy oh boy you are gonna love his lore.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Irithyll is possibly (probably) Eleum Loyce, Yhorm is a descendant of the Giant Lord, Ocelotte and Shanalotte are both half-dragons with names that end in -otte (it's gotta mean something...), along with all the references in item sets, Creighton invades, the Giant tree in Firelink, etc

I definitely missed the bit at the end of Yhorm's soul description. Why doesn't he have the DS2 giant's face, though?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

Which specific events or ideas are you thinking of?

All the things that are referenced in the lore, which is the extent to which DS1 affects the story as well. I mean, none of the DS1 references actually advance the plot. You don't have Frampt pop up halfway to tell you what to do. Its all background stuff. The game could stand perfectly fine on its own, your knowledge of the prior games just explains the lore supporting it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Shindragon posted:

How you doing on the boss?

Cause boy oh boy you are gonna love his lore.

Half health baby, just another forty deaths and I'm golden

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vermain posted:

I definitely missed the bit at the end of Yhorm's soul description. Why doesn't he have the DS2 giant's face, though?

He kinda does:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want someone to explain what the usurper ending implies because I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it despite it seeming kind of straight forward. I get that I took the first flame for myself but I'm not sure why the sun now has a white ring or why I give 2 shits about Londor

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elman posted:

He kinda does:

I also thought that, but he clearly has eyes and a face in the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hamsterlady posted:

Everywhere I invade, it's either some people hosting a fight club, or a gank squad. It's really tiring.

I just want to gently caress around with someone while they're trying to progress through the level. Though it is really satisfying to kill one of those fuckers hosting their gank squads.

Same. I get that you are invading to gently caress with someone's game, but that was always the trade off of being un-hollowed. You get stronger and you can summon, but you might have to fight someone as well. It isn't exactly fun for anyone involved if it's one red invader versus Able Company, three phantoms and host.

I think I just don't get why people summon so many. I only summon for bosses and even then only if I am at my wit's end since it utterly trivialize them most the time. I know people like different things but what's the point of playing Dark Souls with God mode on?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobTheJanitor posted:

Normally stuff like that creeps me out, but those enemies are just so over the top that it kind of wraps around to being hilarious. Like hello I'm a spider centipede demon with 10,000 legs and no face and evil hair and I scream when you stab me and... I don't know, there's a limit to horror where it just becomes comedy. I mean, if I found one under my bed I'd probably scream and need a change of pants, but that's a different story.

Pretty much exactly my opinion on them. Same with the giant gecko babies in the dungeons, you kind of end up appreciating the ways in which the enemy is designed to evoke fear instead of, like, actually being afraid of it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Same. I get that you are invading to gently caress with someone's game, but that was always the trade off of being un-hollowed. You get stronger and you can summon, but you might have to fight someone as well. It isn't exactly fun for anyone involved if it's one red invader versus Able Company, three phantoms and host.

By gank squads I mean people who summon three phantoms and hang out at the bonfire waiting for invaders.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think I just don't get why people summon so many. I only summon for bosses and even then it utterly trivialize them half the time. I know people like different things but what's the point of playing Dark Souls with God mode on?

if you ever manage to isolate the host into a 1v1 by killing off their gang of summons you will realize how truly awful at the game most of those people are

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

I also thought that, but he clearly has eyes and a face in the game.

You're right, his face starts shrouded but during his fight you can clearly see that he's supposed to have a normal face. Also his skull is just a big human skull. From clearly wanted us to all think he looked like a DS2 giant at first though. I'm not sure what the deal is with all that.

I have a theory that the giants in DS2 were suffering from some kind of curse which is what messed up their faces and souls. I base this on them turning into trees upon death, and a similar fate befalling the Londor pilgrims. The Londor pilgrims have hoods that are also really evocative of the DS2 giant's face. Perhaps a result of the flame dying out, but then why did it affect those foreign giants so much earlier than the rest of the world?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Speaking of which

Where did Leonhard gently caress off to, I want that Darkwraith key. I have the pale tongue from Siegward's area of the Undead Settlement and Leonhard gave me the cracked orbs.

This all worked fine when on my initial blind playthrough.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I decided to watch some LP's of the early game and I totally missed Yoel, and left Siegward sitting at the elevator humming to himself. Resisting the alt urge.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

You're right, his face starts shrouded but during his fight you can clearly see that he's supposed to have a normal face. Also his skull is just a big human skull. From clearly wanted us to all think he looked like a DS2 giant at first though. I'm not sure what the deal is with all that.

I have a theory that the giants in DS2 were suffering from some kind of curse which is what messed up their faces and souls. I base this on them turning into trees upon death, and a similar fate befalling the Londor pilgrims. The Londor pilgrims have hoods that are also really evocative of the DS2 giant's face. Perhaps a result of the flame dying out, but then why did it affect those foreign giants so much earlier than the rest of the world?

Then there's also the man-serpents in Archdragon Peak, which I feel like are meant to be like the serpent soldiers from Sen's Fortress but undergoing the same sort of hollow-out-your-face curse the DS2 giants had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zand posted:

Literally laddersmith Gilligan's corpse next to the Profaned Capital bonfire