Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The DS2 references are definitely a lot less in your face than the constant DS1 references. Most of them are buried in item descriptions rather than visiting iconic areas and fighting iconic enemies from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mr Dog posted:

Speaking of which

Where did Leonhard gently caress off to, I want that Darkwraith key. I have the pale tongue from Siegward's area of the Undead Settlement and Leonhard gave me the cracked orbs.

This all worked fine when on my initial blind playthrough.

He's not back at the shrine? You might have to progress a little more like Road of Sacrifices and see if he shows up again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

I have a theory that the giants in DS2 were suffering from some kind of curse which is what messed up their faces and souls. I base this on them turning into trees upon death, and a similar fate befalling the Londor pilgrims. The Londor pilgrims have hoods that are also really evocative of the DS2 giant's face. Perhaps a result of the flame dying out, but then why did it affect those foreign giants so much earlier than the rest of the world?

Maybe distance from the Flame has something to do with it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

Literally laddersmith Gilligan's corpse next to the Profaned Capital bonfire

Ahh, moneybags...

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Your Computer posted:

It's really cute when people do that though. I just embered in the swamp to get Yellowfinger Heysel's stuff, and I'm immediately invaded by two guys while fighting him... they then bow to me and help me kill Heysel before murdering me :kimchi: Biggest feelgood moment of DS3.

In unrelated news, I think I've figured out what From tried to do with Titanite in this game. I've already complained that your supply of titanite in this game is incredibly limited, making it a bad idea to experiment with weapons until you're basically done with the game and you only seem to get the ability to buy shards/chunks after they're no longer useful... but it turns out that a huge amount of enemies actually have titanite on their drop tables. Almost every enemy from the High Wall to the swamp can drop Titanite Shards for example, they just made the drop rate infinitesimally small. With some number adjustments, they could fix it. :pray:

Are you nuts? I finished NG with like 80 shards and chunks each. The only thing really restricted in your first playthrough are slabs and scales.

E: You can farm gardens like... 30 minutes into the game for titanite.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 23, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Use all the cracked orbs

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not to bring up the argument again but the giants did have faces. If you go back into DS2 when you fought the Giant King, you can find a burned giant body and it's face with eyes and teeth. Granted it doesn't look human and more of a shark teeth thing but its' there.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Haha what? I can't walk through a zone in the latter half of the game without tripping over a pile of normal/large shards. I end up selling them for souls when I'm close to a level but not quite there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Blessed weapon is so awful. Emit Force looks really bad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitZ4JYZG6g

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

DkS2 Is referenced less directly than DkS1. The lords all having thrones seems to be related to the same kind of throne Vendrick wanted so badly, since the throne of want seems to be related to the bonfires just like the Lord's thrones.

Yhorm the Giant is the same kind of giant seen in DkS2, even though he seems to have eyes when you fight him, he is still made from some kind of wood and has the empty pit for a face.

In the Profaned Capital, you can find Laddersmith Giligan and a large number of ladders that he built before dying.

You are invaded by both Creighton the Wanderer and Alva.

The fact that locations from Darksouls 1 are present and locations from Darksouls 2 are not, in my opinion, validates my long held belief that Drangleic was never in the same location as Lordran.

Speaking of locations, I loved the Kiln of the First Flame. I loved seeing all the towers and stuff tumbling into the void below. Such a cool place, it's a shame you don't get to see more.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah that's ... pretty crazy. Of all the Bloodsouls games DS3 is by far the most liberal with upgrade materials, and it's the only one where you can buy infinite chunks with no penalty (you could in DS2, but they are very expensive so they'll bloat your soul memory).

In fact if you really want super early chunks you can murder High Priestess Emma to beckon the Dancer and immediately unlock the very final area of the game. Chunks for days.

NTT posted:

Use all the cracked orbs

I didn't use a single one on my first playthrough. Then again I think I didn't come back to Leonhard until a while later. The only way I even noticed him was by running around Firelink a whole bunch and accidentally "attacking" him by falling on his head.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The dude with the darkwraith cell key just kind of shows up in my game after a while, I don't know what specifically triggers it. I know I didn't use anywhere near all my cracked orbs though, but I also had a shitload of them from farming darkwraiths for their loving sword.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Rokstar posted:

The dude with the darkwraith cell key just kind of shows up in my game after a while, I don't know what specifically triggers it. I know I didn't use anywhere near all my cracked orbs though, but I also had a shitload of them from farming darkwraiths for their loving sword.

You just have to beat Vordt I think

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

All the things that are referenced in the lore, which is the extent to which DS1 affects the story as well. I mean, none of the DS1 references actually advance the plot. You don't have Frampt pop up halfway to tell you what to do. Its all background stuff. The game could stand perfectly fine on its own, your knowledge of the prior games just explains the lore supporting it.

If anything, I feel like a lot of this lore is basically "tying up" whatever loose ends may still lie from Dark Souls 1. It offers closure in a lot of ways, and also raises fun questions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Regarding Leonhard, from the wiki:

quote:

After obtaining 1 Pale Tongue, and lighting the Cliff Underside bonfire or defeating the Curse-Rotted Greatwood in the Undead Settlement, he will give you the Lift Chamber Key to the locked door below the Tower on the Wall bonfire. Head there, unlock the door, take the lift down and defeat the Darkwraith there to obtain the Red Eye Orb.

So if you've done all of that and he's not there, just move forward with the game I guess.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I got Dark Armor on my first Darkwraith kill (in Farron Swamp), the Dark Sword on my second Darkwraith kill (the one guarding the Red Eye Orb).

Get on my level :grin:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

argondamn posted:

I give up. Blue Sentinels might as well not exist.

Works well for me. Are you embered? I definately get more hits embered. Just wear the covenant item and clear out stages as you go. It isnt as regular as the wolf covenant for sure.

Also, just to cover all the bases, the way of the blue and the blue sentinels are two different things.

Also go into options and enable cross region play for a bigger pool to pick from.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 23, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Brannock posted:

I got Dark Armor on my first Darkwraith kill (in Farron Swamp), the Dark Sword on my second Darkwraith kill (the one guarding the Red Eye Orb).

Get on my level :grin:

Did all that before you did. Only in reverse.

Scrub. :colbert:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Regarding Leonhard, from the wiki:

So if you've done all of that and he's not there, just move forward with the game I guess.

Aah. Serves me right for using Wikidot instead of Fextralife.

First playthrough I killed Curse Rotted Greatwood, but that's before I found out that doing that locks you out of Mound Makers.

Thanks!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Rokstar posted:

He is there from the start, he just gives you some cracked orbs, after a while he'll give you the key to the real orb

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
The way this game kicks you from a boss fight if your wifi disconnects, even though you're not summoning or anything, is really loving cool and good. what a cool and good feature that this game has.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do I actually have to be in AL to use the Black eye orb? Can't get it to work.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Aah. Serves me right for using Wikidot instead of Fextralife.

First playthrough I killed Curse Rotted Greatwood, but that's before I found out that doing that locks you out of Mound Makers.

Thanks!

It dosent lock you out of the coveneant, from what i read you can get it later via the sirris chick or whatever her name is.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Very very last room

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Glenn_Beckett posted:

The way this game kicks you from a boss fight if your wifi disconnects, even though you're not summoning or anything, is really loving cool and good. what a cool and good feature that this game has.

You were probably going to lose anyway

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NESguerilla posted:

It's a specific spot. The game will tell you when you're in the right place.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Willfrey posted:

Works well for me. Are you embered? I definately get more hits embered. Just wear the covenant item and clear out stages as you go. It isnt as regular as the wolf covenant for sure.

Also, just to cover all the bases, the way of the blue and the blue sentinels are two different things.

Also go into options and enable cross region play for a bigger pool to pick from.

Nope. Doesn't work at all for me and a lot of people. I've done a bunch of playthroughs and literally left my ps4 on for two days to see if I'd ever get a summon.

I've had one and the host was already dead.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Dont games on wireless connections.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

Are you nuts? I finished NG with like 80 shards and chunks each. The only thing really restricted in your first playthrough are slabs and scales.

E: You can farm gardens like... 30 minutes into the game for titanite.

Exactly, you finished the game with that much. At that point it makes no difference how many you've looted because you can buy an infinite amount anyway.

I'm talking pre-endgame. If you spent all your Titanite Shards from the High Wall on, say, the Longbow then you pretty much screwed yourself because you're not going to be able to get any more shards until you reach the swamp, leaving you chipping away at bosses with an un-upgraded weapon. If you start reinforcing your starting weapon or something and find out that you prefer the moveset of whatever new weapon you just looted, too bad! Once you get the ability to buy Titanite Shards you're already using a weapon upgraded with Large shards so while you can upgrade any new weapons a little bit, they'll still be a lot worse than whatever you started upgrading. Same with Chunks.

I just think it's badly balanced, because it seems that mobs are supposed to drop upgrade mats but From tuned their droprate way too low.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

argondamn posted:

Nope. Doesn't work at all for me and a lot of people. I've done a bunch of playthroughs and literally left my ps4 on for two days to see if I'd ever get a summon.

I've had one and the host was already dead.

I wonder if it is a console thing. Works well for the PC master race

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I have now died to the loving Crystal Sage as a Lvl 27 pyro about 15 times. 7 of those, summons couldn't make it through the loving FOG WALL

I sure am glad we made greatswords do .5% more damage but maybe From could focus on fixing their suuuuper hosed up glitches at some point jesus i'm pissed i keep losing to this chump boss

someone hold me :smith:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Regarding Yhorm and whether or not he's a DS2 giant/giants have faces:

Look at his ashes on the throne in Firelink. Case closed. :colbert:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Anal Surgery posted:

I have now died to the loving Crystal Sage as a Lvl 27 pyro about 15 times. 7 of those, summons couldn't make it through the loving FOG WALL

I sure am glad we made greatswords do .5% more damage but maybe From could focus on fixing their suuuuper hosed up glitches at some point jesus i'm pissed i keep losing to this chump boss

You ain't the only. My 2nd run and that dude is my wall for now.

Mostly cuz he keeps blind shoting me with the crystal wave while I take his clones. If I don't take out his clones, then I get killed by a barrage of spears.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

It does the same thing if your framerate dips too low

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anal Surgery posted:

use a quick hitting weapon and a summon. Those long windups leave you too open in the second phase.

That said there is a degree of luck involved on where his clones spawn and what spells they cast.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Willfrey posted:

Dont games on wireless connections.

it also does this if steam goes down

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Exactly, you finished the game with that much. At that point it makes no difference how many you've looted because you can buy an infinite amount anyway.

I'm talking pre-endgame. If you spent all your Titanite Shards from the High Wall on, say, the Longbow then you pretty much screwed yourself because you're not going to be able to get any more shards until you reach the swamp, leaving you chipping away at bosses with an un-upgraded weapon. If you start reinforcing your starting weapon or something and find out that you prefer the moveset of whatever new weapon you just looted, too bad! Once you get the ability to buy Titanite Shards you're already using a weapon upgraded with Large shards so while you can upgrade any new weapons a little bit, they'll still be a lot worse than whatever you started upgrading. Same with Chunks.

I just think it's badly balanced, because it seems that mobs are supposed to drop upgrade mats but From tuned their droprate way too low.

No I'm saying I finished the game with that many of each because I was drowning in both of them so goddamn much I had nothing left to use them on and they continued to accumulate.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Mostly cuz he keeps blind shoting me with the crystal wave while I take his clones. If I don't take out his clones, then I get killed by a barrage of spears.

You should be methodical and use the walls to your advantage. Look to your left immediately when you enter the boss room. See that corner? Only one of the Sages may (if it spawns there) have line of sight to you, meaning you can take out the clones and/or dash to the real Sage in a more controlled manner without having to panic and worry about being hit by 4 Crystal Spears at once.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fighting the loving giants and then having someone invade is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm using a 60 faith build and it lets you oneshot in pvp with the sunlight spear, it's loving crazy