Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

They are really awkward. I wouldn't say Kid Icarus levels of awkward, but someone described this games controls as "trying to pat your head while rubbing your belly" and it's something I'd agree with.

When you are able to get your head around them they are probably some really enjoyable controls, but I can understand why people who haven't got to that point have gripes about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Corneria was just easy as piss, you just flew in a circle and aimed the side. Landmaster boss had tank control problems, the gyro aiming was fine.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Yeah, some of the attacks near the end got too close together and somewhat aimbot-y, but alt route Corneria wasn't too bad.

Y'know what's fun? Co-op mode. I don't like the term "girlfriend mode" but my wife and I played through the levels I've played so far in coop and had tons of fun. She's not a big starfox person but after a couple of stages playing on the pad and being the gunner said "yeah I could see why people like this".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like the split controls co-op mode but it does seem like a waste to spend so much time optimising the game to display two screens at once without adding a true co-op or multiplayer mode with each player on a single screen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I'm someone who could never get used to Splatoon's gyro aiming but I'm getting acclimated to Star Fox Zero's aiming scheme a bit better. However there is one thing I'm having trouble with, and that's doing somersaults with the sticks rather than the x button. Is it that I just flick the left stick down and the right stick up simultaenously? I feel like my timing is just off or i'm trying to cheat it by already boosting or ascending while trying to do the other.

Game's pretty fun otherwise, though I'm a bit annoyed that in one of the Zoness missions When you're escaping the base as it explodes they throw like 5 searchlights right at you with no warning. Completely messed up my up-until-then stealth run. Oh well, lesson for next time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crawfish posted:

They are really awkward. I wouldn't say Kid Icarus levels of awkward, but someone described this games controls as "trying to pat your head while rubbing your belly" and it's something I'd agree with.

When you are able to get your head around them they are probably some really enjoyable controls, but I can understand why people who haven't got to that point have gripes about them.

I really don't see it unless you're trying to use the gamepad aiming for everything. 60% of the time it's exactly like Star Fox 64 with slightly different controls, 20% of the time it's walker or gyrocopter stuff which is still fairly simple and the other 20% of the time you're basically just glancing down at the controller for a few moments.

Like I seriously do not understand how people are 'fighting' the controls when it is mostly generic Star Fox.

Angry_Ed posted:

So I'm someone who could never get used to Splatoon's gyro aiming but I'm getting acclimated to Star Fox Zero's aiming scheme a bit better. However there is one thing I'm having trouble with, and that's doing somersaults with the sticks rather than the x button. Is it that I just flick the left stick down and the right stick up simultaenously? I feel like my timing is just off or i'm trying to cheat it by already boosting or ascending while trying to do the other.

Game's pretty fun otherwise, though I'm a bit annoyed that in one of the Zoness missions When you're escaping the base as it explodes they throw like 5 searchlights right at you with no warning. Completely messed up my up-until-then stealth run. Oh well, lesson for next time

You have to press both strongly upwards at the same time, not just press them upwards. It's a little weird and using the button is just easier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 23, 2016

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Star Fox never had a forced perspective camera

And a second screen to look at that might be pointed 90 degrees offset from your TV

It's not the controls per se

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Star Fox never had a forced perspective camera

And a second screen to look at that might be pointed 90 degrees offset from your TV

It's not the controls per se

What does it matter where the screen is? I'm still not clear what your actual issue is, you just keep saying 'it's bad.'

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Star Fox Zero is so loving good jesus christ

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Pomp posted:

Corneria was just easy as piss, you just flew in a circle and aimed the side. Landmaster boss had tank control problems, the gyro aiming was fine.

Landmaster boss was the first time I really got the hang of using the gamepad and motion, I think. You HAVE to use it on that boss fight, otherwise Fox just spins in a circle and takes hits.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What does it matter where the screen is? I'm still not clear what your actual issue is, you just keep saying 'it's bad.'

No, I think you've been doing that with "it's good." I'm not mad at you for liking it like you seem to be mad at me. I can explain again though.

It is not easy to keep your land master straight (holding up and to the right based on the cinematic camera perspective) when you are trying to turn your reticule to the left using gyro. It's also not easy to look at your TV to dodge when you are looking off to the left of your TV at the tablet to secure your 90 degree angle to make your shots.

I wind up accidentally driving right towards the boss, or turning too far away from him so my reticule can't quite reach, or otherwise failing to dodge his poo poo. I didn't die fighting him, it just took ten minutes of barely hitting him before I turned the game off in boredom.

If the gyro reticule would let you shoot in any direction, instead of having an arbitrary boundary that is based on a hemisphere from the front of your cockpit (that you need to check your TV to estimate the limits of), it would work fine. Or if the camera stayed in normal behind-the-ship third person, so you didn't have to adjust your analog tilt based on an arbitrary camera angle you aren't looking at.

If you like it that's good too, but it sure isn't the same as prior games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

It is not easy to keep your land master straight (holding up and to the right based on the cinematic camera perspective) when you are trying to turn your reticule to the left using gyro. It's also not easy to look at your TV to dodge when you are looking off to the left of your TV at the tablet to secure your 90 degree angle to make your shots.

You don't need to look at the TV screen to dodge constantly? You have plenty of vision just from your front cockpit which is a way the game has been playable since before Star Fox Zero. It sounds like you're constantly trying to look back and forth when that is 100% unnecessary.

AdmiralViscen posted:

(that you need to check your TV to estimate the limits of)

What? Why? I can't even figure out how looking at the TV would help with this. You can see that on the bottom screen and everything.

AdmiralViscen posted:

If you like it that's good too, but it sure isn't the same as prior games.

It absolutely is, it sounds like you're convincing yourself the controls are more complicated than they are. Like you're describing this insane complex game where you're trying to look at two screens at once at the same time and it really isn't that. You can focus on one screen almost entirely.

The fact that you insisted that people would obviously be confused and bewildered by Aquarosa makes it sound a lot more like you're misunderstanding the controls than anything. If you're not then I really don't understand your descriptions at all.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I insisted that? I didn't just say I disliked it and wondered how many people who were enjoying the controls had tried it (and the desert boss, which was my main area of dislike)?

You are going way harder at this than I am

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

McStephenson posted:

Yeah, some of the attacks near the end got too close together and somewhat aimbot-y, but alt route Corneria wasn't too bad.

Y'know what's fun? Co-op mode. I don't like the term "girlfriend mode" but my wife and I played through the levels I've played so far in coop and had tons of fun. She's not a big starfox person but after a couple of stages playing on the pad and being the gunner said "yeah I could see why people like this".

How do you do co-op? I was looking all over for the option but I never saw it.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Beat Venom! Now I'm on a quest to get all the alternate paths and secret levels.

Trying the aquarossa fight. It's kicking my rear end, but it feels that I'm just really bad at it, as opposed to trying to fight with the controls or the second screen. Trying to do strafing runs and then backing off when it's going to use the electric shield is pretty simple, but I keep flying into the lasers like an idiot and I tend to ignore the the shots of the small fry as I'm trying to shoot down the turrets.

raditts posted:

When you're on the map screen, select a stage you've visited once before, and then it'll let you pick between solo and co-op.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

XavierGenisi posted:

Trying the aquarossa fight. It's kicking my rear end, but it feels that I'm just really bad at it, as opposed to trying to fight with the controls or the second screen. Trying to do strafing runs and then backing off when it's going to use the electric shield is pretty simple, but I keep flying into the lasers like an idiot and I tend to ignore the the shots of the small fry as I'm trying to shoot down the turrets.

Basically there are two options. One is strafing runs but the other is just to fly in a circle around it and boost when one of the lasers is about to fire. As long as you aim to the left (or right) and properly manage break and boost you can reliably just fly in a circle and occasionally move to the side when you see the center thing begin to spark.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So you can only co-op on levels your already beat? Ugh.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

raditts posted:

In the main game select a mission and hit x instead of a.

Person with pad shoots and person with pro controller or whatever flies and can shoot a little as well

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

raditts posted:

So you can only co-op on levels your already beat? Ugh.

No. If you entered a level once, you can ollie out and go back to the map screen, and it'll give you that option.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Star Fox Zero is so loving good jesus christ

e: Also Guard since I managed to squeeze a little of that in.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I am really enjoying this game, but the sand worm is really kicking my rear end, any suggestions?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
When the game is actually being Star Fox, its solid and fun.

Holy crap though. I wish someone had a rolled up newspaper to bap the idiot in the room that kept going "Oh lets have a silly forced cinematic camera boss fight/Gyrocopter/Walker that handles like total rear end section here!" over the nose. I don't know why anyone thought using the giant shoebox-sized Gamepad as a motion controlled aiming device was a remotely clever idea.

I also miss Falco's smartass Brooklyn voice actor. The new one sounds too soft and half-hearted.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 23, 2016

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Calihan posted:

I also miss Falco's smartass Brooklyn voice actor. The new one sounds too soft and half-hearted.

Isn't it the same guy though??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Calihan posted:

Holy crap though. I wish someone had a rolled up newspaper to bap the idiot in the room that kept going "Oh lets have a silly forced cinematic camera boss fight/Gyrocopter/Walker that handles like total rear end section here!" over the nose. I don't know why anyone thought using the giant shoebox-sized Gamepad as a motion controlled aiming device was a remotely clever idea.

Are the voice actors in Zero the same ones as 64 or new ones trying to sound like them? Too bad they changed them though, I actually kind of liked the ones from Assault.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Calihan posted:

The last fight just doubles down on the bullshit. The Walker really is a bit poo poo.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Kin posted:

The last fight just doubles down on the bullshit. The Walker really is a bit poo poo.

Yeah you would of thought that of all things would have been kept as a pure and proper Starfox fight but nope. Enjoy both your Walker AND viewscreen bullshit that adds nothing of value to the encounter whatsoever.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Isn't it the same guy though??

If it is, he sounds completely different to the voice he did in SF64/SSBB.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Cellophane S posted:

I am really enjoying this game, but the sand worm is really kicking my rear end, any suggestions?

That fight got a lot easier when I started using the gamepad and gyro as my primary screen/controls and the TV as my backup. When I tried to do anything by looking at the TV, I could only get the landmaster to go in little circles.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Bean posted:

That fight got a lot easier when I started using the gamepad and gyro as my primary screen/controls and the TV as my backup. When I tried to do anything by looking at the TV, I could only get the landmaster to go in little circles.

Yeah anything in tank/walker mode, the aiming reticle on the gamepad is far more accurate. No idea why but the one projected on the TV is amazingly wonky.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 23, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Okay, got the game and only played a little bit of the training mode, going to play later, was wondering if the players who are farther in this thread can basically give me the gist of the controls, namely:

For On rails sections, how often should I be looking at the second screen? Or should I just stick to only looking at the TV?

For All Range Mode sections, I take it that it's more of a mix, being like "Look at TV and fly into proper positioning or Lock On, and look at gamepad when close by or ready for shooting"?

Mostly just thinking about Arwing but if there's any special considerations for other vehicles I'd appreciate some words on that too.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Calihan posted:

If it is, he sounds completely different to the voice he did in SF64/SSBB.

You're misremembering. The heavy Brooklyn voice was literally only in Brawl, 64 was just the usual grumpy rear end in a top hat thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Ventana posted:

For On rails sections, how often should I be looking at the second screen?
Never, but you can if you feel the need to, which is kind of the point of it being there.

Ventana posted:

For All Range Mode sections, I take it that it's more of a mix, being like "Look at TV and fly into proper positioning or Lock On, and look at gamepad when close by or ready for shooting"?
For general All Range Mode sections, you might only need to tap ZR to get an idea of where things are.

For boss fights that are permanantly Locked On (or an All Range Mode boss that feels like locking on would benefit you) switch your focus to the cockpit view and look up to make sure you're not nosediving into anything or being chased while you're shooting sideways.

It's hard to explain since it feels like second nature to me and I just look at what I want or need to.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Bean posted:

I'll try that!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Szmitten posted:

It's hard to explain since it feels like second nature to me and I just look at what I want or need to.

No it's okay, what you said makes sense to me, I just wanted some direction, thanks a bunch!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Calihan posted:

I miss when he would just say "d-d-d-dammit"
Is there a setting to put on SNES voices

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Playing Zoness co-op with my girlfriend. The opportunities for loving with the direct-i player are endless.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Is it worth $60 or should I wait for the price to come down

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RC Cola posted:

Is it worth $60 or should I wait for the price to come down

It's worth it imo. The game feels amazing and unique once you understand the controls.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's worth it imo. The game feels amazing and unique once you understand the controls.

Swiveling in my chair to aim 90 degrees to the left at Wolf's ship makes me feel like I'm in one of those turrets in the Millennium Falcon. It's great!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I was playing OK with the default motion controls, but once I switched it to only activate when I hit ZR it was much more intuitive and easier for me to use. I recomend giving that a shot if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Just did Arcade Mode and holy poo poo there's 19 possible routes leading up to endgame. That's crazy.

• Locked thread