Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Okay, I don't have that, so it might potentially be the Steam Overlay causing the stutter. Is there a guide out there for how to disable the overlay .dlls without loving up the rest of Steam, or is it simple as locate file --> delete.

From a Reddit guide:

Less a fix, and more a compromise from /u/EnthusiasticMuffin, "Go to nvidia control panel and add the DS3 exe Set to adaptive vsync and turn on triple buffering Set maximum prerendered frames to 1 Turn on threaded optimization Edit: Set adaptive to half refresh rate for locked 30fps(if you have a 60hz panel) if you want.

From /u/Haseltine, removal of the GameOverlayRenderer.dll and GameOverlayRenderer64.dll from the Steam installation folder to another folder may fix stuttering related to the Steam overlay.

From /u/buggalugg, under "Optimization" in Geforce Experience anti-aliasing may be enabled for each frame. Turning this off may stabilize framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay I'll try those things the next time I load up the old dish soaps.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mistle posted:

:agreed:

I'm half inclined to reinstall Payday 2 just for co-op shootmans shenanigans, but then I remember the reason I uninstalled it: updates every other day, making GBS threads on UI/QoL/aesthetic mods with false positives for cheating, poor difficulty balance... I actually got out shortly before the whole microtransactions/safe-and-drill nonsense.

They're still bad with nickel and dime DLC, though.

Updates remain large and take a lot of read/write to install, difficulty balance remains an issue, and I'm convinced they're going to release premium DLC for this game until doomsday. They have released a considerable amount of free DLC since they introduced safes, and they're currently working on a total rework of the skills system to follow the comprehensive weapon rebalance that happened in October.

False positives for cheating don't really happen unless the host is running Hoxhud with its awful anti-cheat enabled. The base game only ever seems to detect DLC unlockers, and will never flag your account in any permanent way. Just about the only way you can be flagged permanently for anything is if you get banned from the community hub, which would only happen if you admit to cheating on the steam discussion forums.

Overkill rolled out "weapon boosts" which provide the same benefits as stat-boost skins but drop like normal weapon mods. Safes and drills are definitely a thing, but you can gain any benefits they might provide just by playing the game and getting card drops. It was a mistake not releasing this the same day skins were introduced, but it's here now.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played the original Payday with a friend for a few hours a whole ago, thinking that it'd be Rainbow Six but with bank heists, but nope, it's just a cop-shooting rampage simulator. Is Payday 2 the same way?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm playing Twilight Princess HD and, while it pains me to admit this, it does not hold up as well as I remembered. While it's still really cool and fun to play, and the game oozes personality in its little touches, some of the bad design choices like making you clear an area as a wolf and go and redo it as a human every time and the rigid linearity of the game really stand out coming off of Majora's Mask 3D. Considering they fixed the most annoying quest in Wind Waker HD, it's a shame they didn't rethink some of the stuff in this one.

It's also not the best HD port ever. The character models are certainly great-looking, but there's a lot of... obvious geometry to the environments and even more obvious JPEG backgrounds to the game that could've used a touchup.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jay Rust posted:

I played the original Payday with a friend for a few hours a whole ago, thinking that it'd be Rainbow Six but with bank heists, but nope, it's just a cop-shooting rampage simulator. Is Payday 2 the same way?

Dude you gotta play the Payday 1 levels with buildings. The street cops will climb 50 stories like spider man to jump through a window to shoot you.

Officer in pursuit!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm playing Twilight Princess HD and, while it pains me to admit this, it does not hold up as well as I remembered. While it's still really cool and fun to play, and the game oozes personality in its little touches, some of the bad design choices like making you clear an area as a wolf and go and redo it as a human every time and the rigid linearity of the game really stand out coming off of Majora's Mask 3D. Considering they fixed the most annoying quest in Wind Waker HD, it's a shame they didn't rethink some of the stuff in this one.

It's also not the best HD port ever. The character models are certainly great-looking, but there's a lot of... obvious geometry to the environments and even more obvious JPEG backgrounds to the game that could've used a touchup.
Twilight Princess is gorgeous, and I'm glad I played it, but it's really just a slow retread of Ocarina of Time. Had I played Ocarina first I'm sure I would have hated it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played Ocarina first and don't mind Twilight Princess, it's certainly not the worst Zelda game. It is very slow and easy though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

It's a horde shooter, not a tactical shooter. It's more like Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor than Rainbow Six and Counter-Strike.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
twilight princess is a pretty divisive game tbh. people either like it or really hate it.

which is weird because people definitely loved it when it game out (8.8 and all).

i rented it for the gamecube after it came out and i liked it. and then i picked up tphd and that's been pretty fun as well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Instant Sunrise posted:

twilight princess is a pretty divisive game tbh. people either like it or really hate it.

which is weird because people definitely loved it when it game out (8.8 and all).

i rented it for the gamecube after it came out and i liked it. and then i picked up tphd and that's been pretty fun as well.

My biggest issue with it isn't that it's a bad game but just that it's a painfully safe Zelda game that doesn't do anything particularly interesting and the few interesting things it does do kind of suck.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
TP isn't bad persay but its really bland and they threw out a potentially interesting plot for more Ganondorf.

I liked Wind Waker a lot better.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

What are people's favorite co-op games on PC? My friends and I just finished torchlight 2 and trine 2, so I'm looking for suggestions on what to play next.

We've already played broforce, monaco, castle crashers, and left 4 dead, if that helps.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Double Dragon Neon, Rayman Legends, Far Cry 3's seperate Campaign Co op.

Thos are the three that are the top off my head.

DD Neon is just goddamn 80s as hell and the villain is just full of bone puns. Plus a very kick rear end soundtrack.

Here I'll give ya a sample.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4plVuPWNicU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dad Jokes posted:

What are people's favorite co-op games on PC? My friends and I just finished torchlight 2 and trine 2, so I'm looking for suggestions on what to play next.

We've already played broforce, monaco, castle crashers, and left 4 dead, if that helps.
Syndicate

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shovel Knight's really good. I'm using the armor that gives you tons of magic, and the magic item that gives you temporary invincibility.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And speaking of shovels, hoo boy!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Residents Evil 5 and 6 are great co-op, you can make fun of the stupid story together

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

Plus a very kick rear end soundtrack.

Related, I got Tales from the Borderlands in the Humble Bundle and on top of all the other praise for the game I'd already heard the soundtrack is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2YT2w9Pvyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGqW68-Mo2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWAOFp-8RxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNaPCIxCmWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U38x6ghBHc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

And speaking of shovels, hoo boy!

What on earth

E: Nevermind you already changed it back in the time it took to post this

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

resident evil 5 was where you shoot black people right

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shovel Knight's really good. I'm using the armor that gives you tons of magic, and the magic item that gives you temporary invincibility.

Wait until you get to Plague of Shadows.

Accordion Man posted:

TP isn't bad persay but its really bland and they threw out a potentially interesting plot for more Ganondorf.

I liked Wind Waker a lot better.

Ganondorf showing up at the last minute was pretty lame, but I don't feel the game is all that bland. Its visual style is really striking to me. Something about it does feel a bit rushed out the door, though. It certainly has some of the least interesting boss fights in the entire series, but also some of the best setpieces.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not gonna lie my only beef with TP is how loving ugly/hideous the characters look. That baby is just offsetting and creepy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
being a wolf in tp was really lame

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
^^ Jinx!

I feel that liking or disliking Twilight Princess hinges largely on how you felt about the stupid wolf sections and the stupid wolf combat.

I thought they were stupid.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This probably gets asked a lot, but if I liked The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us but didn't like Borderlands' aesthetic or writing, is Tales From Borderlands worth looking into?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

being a wolf in tp was really lame

Yeah it's weird how ridiculously limited your options are in wolf form considering how much time you spend that way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

This probably gets asked a lot, but if I liked The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us but didn't like Borderlands' aesthetic or writing, is Tales From Borderlands worth looking into?

I've never gotten past the first chapter of either Borderlands game but I think Tales is probably my favorite Telltale game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FactsAreUseless posted:

my favorite armor is the one that charges up the floor sweep thing when you bounce because you should be bouncing a lot

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

post your favorite shovel knight songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-1NZyFuSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ViaW63n2dQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PtA4hYUJzg

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jay Rust posted:

Nearly the whole Steam thread gushed about how Good Tales from Borderlands is.

And they have a huge hate boner for that series.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 23, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yay :)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dad Jokes posted:

Arma 3 is a really good co-op game and they're about to release a co-op campaign in a few weeks. You can make your own co-op missions and stuff in their editor, or play stuff that other people made on the steam workshop.

you can also make mario kart poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCFmfQ7GRI

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

Tales is a game even people who despise the main series can love. Play it, its great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me TP was really hurt by the fact I played it right after Okami. It made a good but flawed game seem so much worse. I mean I know people also have mixed feelings about Okami but it's literally one of my favorite games ever so TP didn't stand a chance.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Dad Jokes posted:

My friend it is time to try out factorio

Also saint's row and orcs must die 2

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Shaking my head at the lack of Magicka in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6BRKuhn0Og&t=157s

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Boy, Rust takes a little bit of time to load huh?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the strongest

• Locked thread