Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This new chapter of keyman is Extremely Good

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Keyman-The-Hand-of-Judgement/Vol-010-Ch-049--Key-049---Demon?id=270036#1

There's also a new chapter from volume 17 of I am a hero, so expect the rest of the volume soon I wager

Volume 17 cover is also rad

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/I-Am-a-Hero/Vol-017-Ch-192?id=270295

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
That reminded me to check for the raws for volume 20, which are available.

Plot still seems to be going strong through 20.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
IAAH is on volume 20 already? drat son

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
New chapters started dropping this week. Which led me to find out there's a live action movie coming out in two days?! It looks okay too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBp7zW9hxZY

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

.Clash posted:

New chapters started dropping this week. Which led me to find out there's a live action movie coming out in two days?! It looks okay too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBp7zW9hxZY

Holy poo poo that looks actually good. The only trouble I have with it is I can't use it to sell the manga to my friends because it shows straight up what the series is about and the first volume works ~so well~ if you have no idea what to expect.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Does I Am a Hero actually have much in the way of an ongoing plot, or does it fall into the standard zombie trap where it's not so much a story as it is a random sequence of circumstances?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Does I Am a Hero actually have much in the way of an ongoing plot, or does it fall into the standard zombie trap where it's not so much a story as it is a random sequence of circumstances?

I haven't kept up with it, but it seemed to building toward something last time I checked, since it started doing something different with the zombies by implying that they weren't just simply undead. Whether that development is good is debateable though. It's strong point really is its main characters, since each time the plot sidelines the main cast, it tends to get a lot less interesting, unless you happen to like the world-building going on when it does that.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
It definitely is building towards something and the implication that the zombies aren't exactly plain zombies is there quite early in the story. It's somewhat interesting as itself, but the main draw for me is the MC and how he's doing and coping with the situation. I'd like to grab whichever nerd wrote Zombieland and plant him in front of the manga and say "Look, THIS is how you write a likeable main character with actual flaws surviving in a zombie apocalypse!"

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

didnt the story go away from the original main guy for like 40 chapters? i stopped reading when it went to that other group

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That trailer was...way less embarrassing than most live action adaptations!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

didnt the story go away from the original main guy for like 40 chapters? i stopped reading when it went to that other group
Yes, but it returned to him. It's on another group now, but it's been switching around to various groups to show what the gently caress's even going on with all the zombies and poo poo.

Spoilers: A LOT OF THINGS ARE GOING ON!

The development of the situation worldwide is probably the more intriguing part of it. One of the more recently translated volumes took it to an entirely new level, and that switch over to the other group set it up. I'd say keep going, often there's more setpieces than dialogue so you can usually just blitz through chapters as you take it all in.

Bad Seafood posted:

Boy howdy does it ever have a central plot.

You get bits and pieces of it over time but most definitely, it's heading towards a conclusion of some sort eventually, rather than just "survivors survive or don't!"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 22, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Good to know.

I was interested in checking it out after hearing all the praise for it, but zombie stories tend to lean heavily on lazy writing conventions that don't do much for me anymore. If it can avoid that, I'll gladly give it a glance.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Laputanmachine posted:

I'd like to grab whichever nerd wrote Zombieland and plant him in front of the manga and say "Look, THIS is how you write a likeable main character with actual flaws surviving in a zombie apocalypse!"

"Likeable" is not really the word I'd use for the MC.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Paracelsus posted:

"Likeable" is not really the word I'd use for the MC.

Relatable then, in the sense that he clearly has his own poo poo to deal with on top of all these zombies. He is a good guy at heart and does all he can to be a hero, but it isn't easy and that's what makes me cheer him on. As a character he is on a whole other level than an insufferable Mary Sue whose only function is to pander for the vacuous Big Bang Theory crowd.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the MC for IAAH fits the mold of the author's other works for the most part, even looks kinda like the Boys On The Run fella.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Well, I mean, he looks more like someone else

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's weird but some of my favorite parts of the manga are still pre-zombie apocalypse and I mean that as a compliment to Hanazawa not a detraction

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I really love this manga, but killing off one of the best survivors, and in the stupidest way was a terrible move. Really upset about that.

And also, is that our pal Asano Inio in these past two chapters?

The latest Manben features Hanazawa Kengo. It doesn't have subs available yet, and it also seems very spoilery.

Dude's got full on gym equipment in his studio, which I found to be very funny because he is super doughy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yes and it does this several times but around vol 20 most plot strands seem to come together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Coaaab posted:

Well, I mean, he looks more like someone else

Haha, nice.

ahiwattamplifier posted:

I really love this manga, but killing off one of the best survivors, and in the stupidest way was a terrible move. Really upset about that.
Yep still one of the worst parts of the manga, it just screamed "I don't know what to do with them from here so guess I'll just have them abruptly and conveniently get killed"

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i just want someone to finish translating the last volume of boys on the run

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I just want someone to translate at all, then make the various Lupin III manga actually available. :saddowns:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Oda a bro I feel the same way, it was a copout so we can get some MC lovin

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Believe in Helck Daniel Lau

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014

It gets dark to a point where it is almost psychedelic, it doesn't help that no one has much of a character arc or at least something that makes sense. It really does feel like Kengo just hated women when he wrote that manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnonSpore posted:

Believe in Helck Daniel Lau

No

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Captain Invictus posted:

Haha, nice.

Yep still one of the worst parts of the manga, it just screamed "I don't know what to do with them from here so guess I'll just have them abruptly and conveniently get killed"

it's really stupid and random, i guess i'm glad it wasn't just me thinking that

Luceid fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 24, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey can you shut the gently caress up about untranslated stuff as a general rule of thumb please

like half a dozen folks in adtrw can read japanese and that's just swell but for the rest of us it'd be gosh darn fantastic if you did not mention stuff that hasn't been translated into english yet, for any series, thanks!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New Groundless

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/groundless-sekigan-no-sogekihei-r15097

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Captain Invictus posted:

hey can you shut the gently caress up about untranslated stuff as a general rule of thumb please

ok thats fair but its still lousy

Luceid fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 24, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a new Vinland Saga.

Thorkell is still the best.

kawaii

As expected, Floki continues to be a real fuckhead

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

like half a dozen folks in adtrw can read japanese and that's just swell but for the rest of us it'd be gosh darn fantastic if you did not mention stuff that hasn't been translated into english yet, for any series, thanks!
While it's true this is more or less an unwritten courtesy rule of the subforum, there's no need to snap and rip somebody's head off over it. Calm down.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New chapter of Cradle of the Sea

http://bato.to/reader#48c718b8acfff1e6

half a flashback, and its really powerful

I think giving matches to Evan in the middle of a ships hold will probably come back to bite her though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Gakkou gurashi

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gakkou-Gurashi/Gakkou-Gurashi--046?id=271622

~~bad times are here again~~

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In case someone still cares, the "who will Madarame date?" arc of Genshiken has apparently ended.

Accurate description of this arc: a long, drawn-out fart.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014

Mikl posted:

In case someone still cares, the "who will Madarame date?" arc of Genshiken has apparently ended.

Accurate description of this arc: a long, drawn-out fart.

Can't bother to check, who is it?

ALSO, I am A Hero? More like I am Setting up this Next Plot Point Stay With Me Guys amirite

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It still amazes me how Genshiken went from one of my favorite series ever (back when it was the original 9 volume run) to absolute garbage with its return which at this point is probably longer/contains more content than the original run.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I caught up on Nidaime and reread the original run last week, and it really is quite a remarkable difference.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Madarame's left hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ahiwattamplifier posted:

No one. Seriously. We got like a thousand chapters of "YOU MUST SOLVE THE HAREM SITUATION, CHOOSE BETWEEN ONE OF THESE GIRLS (and Hato) WHO YOU'LL DATE", and his answer was "you know what? I don't want to date any of you." Wa wa waaaaaaa.