Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Willfrey posted:

its almost like they were trying to keep you from cheesing everything in the game with arrows

That's what your inventory limit is for. Having a storage limit is stupid and unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

If you're not serving the One True God Aldrich and PvPing in that area you're doing it wrong.

Lothric archers up top, deacons on a high ledge, hidden giant, a basement where you can trap people, its an invaders wet dream.

Worst case scenario the host runs back to the start of the zone and has nowhere else to go.

So I am new at this pvp thing here - I was using drang hammers and could never hit anyone because the range is so small. What is a good weapon with a bit more reach that would do better? Also I am bad.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Willfrey posted:

its almost like they were trying to keep you from cheesing everything in the game with arrows

Which makes sense for your character inventory, but has absolutely nothing to do with the bonfire storage limitation, which is absolutely unnecessary.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hm. Well (MAJOR SPOILERS) I've had my wedding and everything, I seem on lock for the Usurper ending; does killing her now affect that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kiggles posted:

Which makes sense for your character inventory, but has absolutely nothing to do with the bonfire storage limitation, which is absolutely unnecessary.

All your stuff resupplies when you hit a Bonfire, and bonfires have never been more plentiful, so it's understandable why From implemented such a small limit for your stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If anything, I feel like a lot of this lore is basically "tying up" whatever loose ends may still lie from Dark Souls 1. It offers closure in a lot of ways, and also raises fun questions.

As one would expect, really. Dark Souls 2 doesn't have many loose ends that need tying up. The DS2 Curse Bearer found his nirvana and transcended the Curse. Dark Souls 2 was always a more personal story, only indirectly related to the issue of the First Flame/Age of Dark dilemma which is what Dark Souls 3 brings something resembling closure to.

Willfrey posted:

I wonder if it is a console thing. Works well for the PC master race

It does. For a very select amount of people. The rest don't get summoned, ever. It's just something hosed up with From's matchmaking, it's affecting Blue Sentinels/Watchdogs/Darkmoon and there's no discernible rhyme or reason to whom it affects. If you're one of the lucky ones, great, relish it. Get them Proofs. If you aren't, you pretty much have to wait for a patch (hahaha).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Calaveron posted:

All your stuff resupplies when you hit a Bonfire, and bonfires have never been more plentiful, so it's understandable why From implemented such a small limit for your stuff.

Yes... and you are limited to how many arrows you can store at the BONFIRES to 1 full resuply. That means 99 arrows on your person. 99 arrows at the bonfire. Limiting arrows on your person so you don't plink literally everything in the level? Fine. Limiting the arrows in STORAGE, when the NPCs will respawn as soon as you hit the fire? Obnoxious.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Calaveron posted:

They could have just lowered the amount that you can carry at a time, then. It's pointless busy work to have a tiny storage limit.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hm. Well (MAJOR SPOILERS) I've had my wedding and everything, I seem on lock for the Usurper ending; does killing her now affect that?

Yes. You'll have to wait for after the credits roll to get them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

As one would expect, really. Dark Souls 2 doesn't have many loose ends that need tying up. The DS2 Curse Bearer found his nirvana and transcended the Curse. Dark Souls 2 was always a more personal story, only indirectly related to the issue of the First Flame/Age of Dark dilemma which is what Dark Souls 3 brings something resembling closure to.

Dark Souls 2 sits better with me now with its role being simply a "world tour" sort of game; just an excuse for various locations and lands and lore bits to exist and be explored. That's why the episodic DLC worked so nicely for it, although it helped that the DLC all had vastly better and/or more interesting level design than the main game (although gently caress those super enemy gauntlet areas; the one that leads to the blue Smelter Demon and the road to Alonne can just go get hosed)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The Abyss Watcher sword kicks rear end for farming. Just mash that L1 for days and laugh as they're unable to block or hit you. Stylish as hell, too.

It does make me wish I could purple into the AW fight in that outfit for maximum chaos.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i have to ask, because i can't find this information on fextralife - what is a vicious attack and how do i execute one? i keep seeing people talk about them like they're a thing, and i've certainly poise broken a fair number of bosses (hello executioner's greatsword) but when the boss is in the stunned animation, me wailing on them with my weapon never did a special one-hit-kill animation or anything. is it only certain monsters with certain weapons or something? i have no idea what i am supposed to be doing if i get a boss into a stun pose other than just chop chop chop away but i sure would like to know.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Well they really did ruin the pvp this time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, that final boss is decently fun but I'll be happy if they never repeat the first and second phase being completely separate health bars again. I wasn't too big of a fan of the core design of "everything hits you like a freight train, especially bosses so if you mess up once there goes 90% of your health". Gwyn and Artorias were balls-to-the-wall aggressive but they could at least be parried between their attacks of annihilation. That said (ending spoilers) would it kill them to put as much effort into these endings as they do the rest of the game? This is the last Souls game, at least for a while, so they could at least give the world some finality. I hope that 3rd ending is more interesting and fulfilling than these two wet farts. Then again, they haven't done decent endings since Demon's Souls since it was pretty clear what happened.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

homeless poster posted:

i have to ask, because i can't find this information on fextralife - what is a vicious attack and how do i execute one? i keep seeing people talk about them like they're a thing, and i've certainly poise broken a fair number of bosses (hello executioner's greatsword) but when the boss is in the stunned animation, me wailing on them with my weapon never did a special one-hit-kill animation or anything. is it only certain monsters with certain weapons or something? i have no idea what i am supposed to be doing if i get a boss into a stun pose other than just chop chop chop away but i sure would like to know.

It's only on certain bosses, and works like a backstab from the front basically. Special animation and huge damage, you just have to press the attack button in a specific place in front of them. I only ever did about three in my playthrough and it was usually by accident.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy or are the claws kind of lovely?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

argondamn posted:

Well they really did ruin the pvp this time.

Here's a hot tip:

use the lucerne

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching EnB's "From the Dark" playthrough of DS1 now and it's fun to hear all the fan speculation about Solaire. There's so much grasping at straws, like Solaire using the word "fool" (the Firstborn's foolishness led to a loss of the annals, it's the same word! It must be him!) I was never a fan of the "Solaire is Gwyn's firstborn" theory, so I'll admit I felt kinda smug when I met Nameless King. Considering how seriously some people take Solaire, has there been any fan outrage at the revelation yet?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

The claws have never been good

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

NESguerilla posted:

is it any straight sword or any rapier besides the crystal sage rapier? no? then yea it's lovely.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Anything punch related besides the Manikin Claws is useless in both PVE and PVP.

Babe Magnet posted:

The claws have never been good

Claws were "okay" in DS2 PVE and a very, very strong weapon in PVP if you knew how to play it right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cestus are not useless

they're not good weapons but the only time I've ever gotten hatemail is DS2 cestus pvp. Yes, my friend, keep your shield up. I guarantee you I have more stamina than you do, than you can possibly imagine....

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I found Tsorig's hiding place at the bottom of The Demon Ruins and the fight went perfectly.

That is to say, the first time I met him, I actually dropped down onto his area from the bridge above, not knowing there was an easier way. I was totally surprised by him, but we danced around a bit before his greatsword's ridiculous reach took me by surprise. He curb-stomped me the second time too, after I found the stairs. Third time, I popped the Tears of Denial miracle, which is basically Second Chance. Two-handed my lucerne, down I go. Knowing how good his reach was, I played it safe with hitting him, but he's really good at dodging and he gets this bullshit invincibility during his big charge attack that really took a lot out of me. He has this big ultra attack he does, and I was in the midst of a combo when he let it off, so he hit me full bore with his mega-attack. It kills me...but my miracle kicks in. I'm knocked over, and have to wait for the animation to kick it.

As you may know, he does this rear end in a top hat "victory" gesture when he kills you. Well, as it turns out, he'll do it even if you're not quite dead yet. So, while he was doing his gesture, I got back up, walked over to him, and smacked him three times in the face with my lucerne until he died. Now his armor is mine and gently caress that guy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

cestus are not useless

they're not good weapons but the only time I've ever gotten hatemail is DS2 cestus pvp. Yes, my friend, keep your shield up. I guarantee you I have more stamina than you do, than you can possibly imagine....

That was DS2. In DS3, you are going to do piddly damage and get stunlocked to death by anything wielding a weapon.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

pvp in 3 is just straight sword/rapier or bust with a few exceptions

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

cestus are not useless

Caestus were amazing in DS2 though. You dealt boatloads of poise and damage, both in PvE and PvP and it was so fun that I did two caestus runs (second one was after the DLC so I snuck in some Bone Fist near the end). :3:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
It's weird. I loved all the souls games, loved bloodborne.

I'm also real glad they're giving them a rest. DS3 is just a good game, not something I really want to replay into infinity.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, that's done.

The final boss' second phase is way less intimidating once you know it's coming. Ton of recovery on multiple attacks, slow-rear end swings, not many dirty tricks. It'll kill you in a blink if it catches you in a combo but that's the case for all the other bosses anyway.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fist weapons were garbage in DS1, pretty great in 2 and garbage in 3. Most things that were bad in 1 that got buffed in 2 are back to being terrible again.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Thread goes fast

I was between 80 and 100 and was getting summoned quickly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

Fist weapons were garbage in DS1, pretty great in 2 and garbage in 3. Most things that were bad in 1 that got buffed in 2 are back to being terrible again.

I blame all the fools who whined about DS2 :colbert:

#ds2didnothingwrong

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vermain posted:

That was DS2. In DS3, you are going to do piddly damage and get stunlocked to death by anything wielding a weapon.

yeah I noticed that a bit. Poise is loving useless on 95% of weapons, so the poise-boosting weapon art is good for nothing except maybe the negligible amount of damage resistance it gives you.

It's also kind of bullshit that greatswords can swing out of a roll at the same speed I can do my fastest cestus punch. That trade is simply not worth it.

I've had some cestus luck though with the ring that helps me break guard stamina faster and a club in the off-hand I can use to give myself a damage boost, but it's not enough most of the time.

Your Computer posted:

Caestus were amazing in DS2 though. You dealt boatloads of poise and damage, both in PvE and PvP and it was so fun that I did two caestus runs (second one was after the DLC so I snuck in some Bone Fist near the end). :3:

The only downside they had is that they had garbage durability, but that became less of a problem the faster you got at killing things so it evens out. I wish I could parry with caestii in DS3 like I could in DS2

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I accidentally got dragged into a fight club, hosted by myself, outside the Pontiff's boss arena, in a desperate three hour bid to stay alive that amassed me 75k souls and didn't work out. I was really, really hoping that I could summon enough friendly phantoms to overwhelm or intimidate the invaders enough for me to make a clean get away, or that I could somehow sneak off while everyone was busy spectating and fighting and make a run for the next bonfire. Neither of those ever happened, finally somehow the flood of invasions and red signs slowed down to the point it was just me and a red phantom.

At one point I had five invaders all around me, and here I am sweating my balls off. Some of them actually did try to kill me, and I pretended that they were violating the "rules" of this "fight club" that was totally happening and not just me desperately trying to get invaders to not gank me, and the other non participating invaders helpfully killed them for me. The closest I came to breaking free was when I managed to summon both a friendly phantom AND a bluecop showed up, but then they both died to a katana nippon thousand folded steel master who did the Legion Salute thing.

In the end it came down to me and another katana dude, and I just accepted my fate and let him kill me because the bonfire is like, right there. The reason why I went through all that was because I couldn't and didn't want to fight the two doggies in the basement alone, so I needed summons, but all I kept getting were red signs and invasions. Like seriously, that zone is invasion heaven. Hell, I even got like, 4 blue sentinel/darkmoon summons.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

WrightOfWay posted:

man, ain't that the truth. personally i can't believe that the "all the rings" achievement made it into the full game when it counts +1/+2 versions of the same rings as separate entities and yet ascetics aren't a thing that exists. how does that even

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

homeless poster posted:

man, ain't that the truth. personally i can't believe that the "all the rings" achievement made it into the full game when it counts +1/+2 versions of the same rings as separate entities and yet ascetics aren't a thing that exists. how does that even

are you fuckin' serious, my man

what the gently caress, I thought the covenant rings would be the worst part

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

I wish I could parry with caestii in DS3 like I could in DS2

That reminds me, what can you parry with in this game? There are obviously parry shields, and the katana weapon art parry... but what else?

Having an empty hand just uses the weapon art, and I don't think dual-wielding weapons have a parry either (since you have their dual-attack on L1 and weapon art on L2)? The setup I've had the most fun with in any Souls game so far was in DS2 with a Warped Sword + Espada Ropera powerstanced. Poke on R1/2, spin-to-win on L1 and parry on L2. Survivability, power and style. :c00lbutt:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Do Farron's Watchdogs get anything out of killing invaders, or are they just being completely and utter pricks?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I decided early on this would not be a game where trophies mattered, I mean without Gamerscore what is even the point in the first place am I right

I grinded out the Swordgrass to finish the Wolf covenant but that's because I wanted the shield.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your Computer posted:

That reminds me, what can you parry with in this game? There are obviously parry shields, and the katana weapon art parry... but what else?

Parrying dagger and Farron Greatsword (because that's not an annoying enough weapon to fight already) and the small/med shields and that's it. Besides kataner draw stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So I'm an idiot and used my seigbrau. Any chance someone can drop me one? So mad I can't finish out my Solaire Outfit for Sunbroing.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps hit me up if you can. Should be awake for a little while longer.