Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

jivjov posted:

Agreed. Something like WorseBad Company doesn't even seem like it'd be possible by the "rules" of Stands as of part 3. Part of me likes seeing the evolution, but another part of me kinda wishes Araki had nailed all this down from the introduction of Stands.
It's better this way. I'd rather Araki write interesting encounters than find himself beholden to a rigid power system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
I'm not saying that an evolving OP/ED isn't cool, I'm saying that right now it feels like a few things are missing in the OP. The ED works well enough because the camera moves smoothly through some scenery and we know more characters will pop in later; it doesn't feel lacking. The OP, meanwhile, has a bit of awkwardness to it I wasn't expecting after the 4 phenomenal OPs which came before it. I'll bet the OP lengthens out to the standard 1:30 and will evolve into a slicker form soon enough, though.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's something specific to koichi, that's all I'll say. They weren't trying to obscure the fact that he gets one.

Vague spoiler: I realize that Koichi's stand may have been part of the inspiration to have the OP evolve in the first place, but they still could've found a solution besides having him pose next to nothing, in the context of others posing next to their stands.

Moltrey posted:

The pause after Okuyasu kicks the can is a lead in to the three beats that are synched to the zoom in to Josuke, it's a stylish transition

I don't care if they synced it with the music, it was a virtually still image that stayed on the screen long enough to give time to a whole other character (8 beats). It's a placeholder.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Hey Koichi, let's go home."

"Sure."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

guts and bolts posted:

Today's episode was neat. Okuyasu being a member of the main crew was obvious from the OP, so it's hard to feel any tension about his welfare, but that doesn't really seem like the point of his scenes anyway - less about if he joins Team Josuke and more why, which is fine and good. His self-deprecation strikes me as endearing and kinda sad - he actively says things about how unintelligent he is, and while that is so far more or less true, his solution to the trap was useful! Older brothers should support their younger brothers. :(

Yeah, I feel like him saying things like "I'm not smart" are self-deprecating remarks he began telling himself after Keicho's abusive comments.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Weird specifics you say? Calluses my friend, calluses is all I'll say. :allears:

I don't get this. Is this a reference to my tendency to type mad :words: about poo poo no one reads, or a reference to the 1998 classic The Faculty, which I (creepily enough) just got finished watching?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, I feel like him saying things like "I'm not smart" are self-deprecating remarks he began telling himself after Keicho's abusive comments.

Yeah, it reads like he internalized it as a fact because of his brother, who is abusive and sucks. :( Okuyasu even tells Josuke he won't help against Keicho, despite the fact that Keicho has treated him in truly horrific fashion, because he must think it's normal or okay for Keicho to literally try to kill him for being a waste; I feel bad for Okuyasu and I want him to succeed a lot in this part, now. I Am Rooting For Okuyasu™

IronicDongz posted:

I can't believe Koichi if loving dead

This was the most shocking thing, to me, like I predicted he'd survive and get a Stand even, but here we are, episode 4 in the books and he's definitely, unequivocally dead

Seems especially weird since he's in the OP a couple times, what a good fakeout

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Kaasen posted:

I'm not saying that an evolving OP/ED isn't cool, I'm saying that right now it feels like a few things are missing in the OP. The ED works well enough because the camera moves smoothly through some scenery and we know more characters will pop in later; it doesn't feel lacking. The OP, meanwhile, has a bit of awkwardness to it I wasn't expecting after the 4 phenomenal OPs which came before it. I'll bet the OP lengthens out to the standard 1:30 and will evolve into a slicker form soon enough, though.

Vague spoiler: I realize that Koichi's stand may have been part of the inspiration to have the OP evolve in the first place, but they still could've found a solution besides having him pose next to nothing, in the context of others posing next to their stands.

I don't care if they synced it with the music, it was a virtually still image that stayed on the screen long enough to give time to a whole other character (8 beats). It's a placeholder.

Yeah but it's also funny. Koichi is kind of a goofy guy who isn't very sure of himself hence his stand's initial form and gradual evolution as he grows as a person and that intro just emphasizes it, so it works regardless.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The only things this OP really "spoils" are a few characters introduced fairly early on, but they're basically just character designs completely out of context for people who don't know yet (which... is kind of lazy to be honest), and Koichi very obviously getting a stand and Okuyasu very obviously joining the duwang gang, but both weren't really things that needed hiding. They happen so early in the grand scheme of things. Plus like people have said it doesn't so much matter that you know IF they do these things, but HOW.

Battle Tendency's OP was way worse about it, specifically with the Caesar thing. That was just weirdly blatant, when nearly every other reference in the CG intros felt like a hidden little easter egg for people who dug around. Like when Season 1 was airing I really knew very little about JoJo outside of "Part 3 has Jotaro and Dio" because yknow. Internet. Za Warudo and all that. But when it got to BT I was like "oh who's this cool blonde guy with the bubbles oh I guess he's dying cool thanks i guess?"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I like how the Arrow either gives you a Stand, or kills people who can't handle one (like, say, Holly or young Josuke for example). So Koichi is hit and clearly doesn't have what it takes so, welp he's gonna die. But then Josuke heals him, so he is gonna live. So uhhh.... poo poo, what now? So his spirit encases his Stand in an egg, ready to hatch when he is capable of handling his new psychic powers. It's an incredible train of logic, I love it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Just watched the new episode.

Arrrrgh whaaaaaaat it's a 3 parter, the Nijimura Brothers!? Episode was wonderful, of course, and I'm glad they're not rushing, but I'm watching this with people who haven't read the manga and knowing that the Nijimura Bros' mini arc is so well done, it's just painful to be drawn out so. Having discovered the series in late 2015, we would watch 2-3 episodes of JoJo a night up until this season, I'm only now recognizing how spoiled we were.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I like how the Arrow either gives you a Stand, or kills people who can't handle one (like, say, Holly or young Josuke for example). So Koichi is hit and clearly doesn't have what it takes so, welp he's gonna die. But then Josuke heals him, so he is gonna live. So uhhh.... poo poo, what now? So his spirit encases his Stand in an egg, ready to hatch when he is capable of handling his new psychic powers. It's an incredible train of logic, I love it.

Is that an official explanation? Or fan theory?

I assumed that he would have been fine had he not been shot right in the throat...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Josuke basically cheated the universe into giving Koichi a stand.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Angelo was shot in the mouth and was perfectly fine once Keicho took the arrow out, while Koichi was inches from death. Wouldn't getting hit with an arrow like that kill you pretty much instantly? I'd say the fact that he didn't die immediately shows he was capable of getting a stand, but wasn't quite ready for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Momomo posted:

Angelo was shot in the mouth and was perfectly fine once Keicho took the arrow out, while Koichi was inches from death. Wouldn't getting hit with an arrow like that kill you pretty much instantly? I'd say the fact that he didn't shows he was capable of getting a stand, but wasn't quite ready for it.

Angelo's stand messes with liquids and he could presumably stop his own bleeding with it or something. Koichi's stand is breakfast.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

jivjov posted:

I assumed that he would have been fine had he not been shot right in the throat...

I don't know if Araki Said it but Keicho's apparently done this a few times. He seemed pretty sure the arrow didn't work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I for one am glad Koichi lives because, spoiler, his stand ability is one of my favorites in all of Jojo comics.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, KoichI is not the kind of person who could manifest a Stand. If DIO took the body of Koichi's great grandfather, then Koichi would presumably be going through what Holly went through. Josuke helped Koichi game the system but the system just spat out an egg in response. Still, alive with an egg is better than dead with no egg at all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jivjov posted:

i've said it before, probably even in this thread directly, but stands are a pretty direct manifestation of someone's mental fortitude. if someone has the ability to handle a stand, the arrow will pull it out of them and they'll be perfectly fine right away. see: angelo. the fact that koichi lay there bleeding out for most of the episode even once the arrow was pulled out was a clear sign that he was slowly dying and would have entirely bled out if josuke hadn't healed him. but since josuke DID heal him, there's really no alternative other than him having a stand. it basically gives one no matter what, the difference between people being that some will die from the exertion while others won't.

hence the egg. koichi isn't exactly up to snuff when it comes to having a stand and being able to do things with it, so he's going to need to mature just a bit in some way or another before he can actually make something of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I have to wonder if Josuke effectively changed Koichi's personality by healing him. You need a fighting spirit to have a Stand, and Koichi didn't qualify. But now he's healed and DOES have a Stand, so he has to have a fighting spirit by that logic.

Already we saw him planning to take out Keicho with his egg in a life or death situation when he was cowering from some school bullies just a few episodes back.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I bet he wouldn't have been cowering if he had had a giant invisible egg to chuck at their heads.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm gonna work hard to lay a psychic egg, just like my man, Koichi

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cool episode. Though I kind of wished that they renamed Bad Company to Tin Soldiers. Then again, for all I know, someone probably had that idea and it was struck down by that copyright owner.

Koichi eat the egg

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5GXbk58R0

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I disliked Koichi coming out of the manga and rereads didn't help him, but the anime is turning him around for me finally.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Koichi fits a certain character archetype and he is the version of that archetype that I always wish other series would have.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

This but with every instance of "Bad" replaced by "Worse".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lizard Wizard posted:

He's already got one.

yes but his egg stand could really use an egg stand

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The egg is a stand named Humpty with the inverse of Crazy D's power, it can only repair itself.

Get read for JJBA part 4.5: Egg is Breakable

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's going to take the entire part for the egg to hatch and it's going to be just the exact thing needed to take out the main antag, just a heads up

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's going to take the entire part for the egg to hatch and it's going to be just the exact thing needed to take out the main antag, just a heads up

it's a gun

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Inside the egg is another, smaller egg.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Johnny Joestar posted:

The wives of the mini soldiers, wounded soldiers, and mini hippies, petitioning in Stand Congress, doing media tours, and protesting at stand colleges to get Stand Americans to get out of the quagmire that is Jouske-nam?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This was a good episode because Bad Company is one of my favorite stands it looked great

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I disliked Koichi coming out of the manga and rereads didn't help him, but the anime is turning him around for me finally.

Nope, still don't give a drat about him

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o5ysq8PXya1vriyv3_480.mp4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Daisuke Ono is a treasure

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One thing that I really liked with Okuyasu is that, as discussed earlier, he's internalized his brother's abuse to the point where he believes he's truly stupid and incompetent, but this episode shows pretty clearly that that isn't the case. In one swift move, Okuyasu cleverly used his stand to immediately repay Josuke for saving him without putting either of them in danger or bringing himself into direct conflict with his brother. He basically neatly hosed his oh-so-clever brother's plan in an instant when the clever Josuke was going to be forced to run in and die immediately.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

umalt posted:

The wives of the mini soldiers, wounded soldiers, and mini hippies, petitioning in Stand Congress, doing media tours, and protesting at stand colleges to get Stand Americans to get out of the quagmire that is Jouske-nam?

Behold Koichi's stand,「R I C H A R D N I X O N」

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Man, I haven't heard that song they use for the ed since I was a kid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

As an aside, Stephen King wrote a story in one of his short story collections called "Battleground," where pretty much, literally, a guy is forced to fight Bad Company. It was a pretty decent short story and made me love this Stand fight even more when I read it.

A made for TV version actually aired on TV. Someone put it up on Youtube (let me know if we can't link youtube videos with questionable legality and I'll remove it), if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY053duzS8

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Darko posted:

As an aside, Stephen King wrote a story in one of his short story collections called "Battleground," where pretty much, literally, a guy is forced to fight Bad Company. It was a pretty decent short story and made me love this Stand fight even more when I read it.

A made for TV version actually aired on TV. Someone put it up on Youtube (let me know if we can't link youtube videos with questionable legality and I'll remove it), if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY053duzS8

I think this was in one of his short story collections - maybe Night Shift - and I remember it being kinda comical. But given how prolific King is, even if part four includes a Stand that is just an evil-looking subwoofer with the power to emit JoJo sound effects as physical objects as depicted in the manga and such, there's a good chance that there's a Stephen King story that also features an evil subwoofer

Or an evil typewriter

Or an evil car

Or an evil laundromat press

(you get it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

guts and bolts posted:

I think this was in one of his short story collections - maybe Night Shift - and I remember it being kinda comical. But given how prolific King is, even if part four includes a Stand that is just an evil-looking subwoofer with the power to emit JoJo sound effects as physical objects as depicted in the manga and such, there's a good chance that there's a Stephen King story that also features an evil subwoofer

Or an evil typewriter

Or an evil car

Or an evil laundromat press

(you get it)

I can't wait for Josuke to punch a typewriter.

• Locked thread