Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
giffan
Jul 10, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I don't mind it being limited to roads and parking lots. I don't need GTA: Final Fantasy edition, but I do wonder how this will work once the car is modded to fly. Will we be just as limited as far as where we can land?

Yeah, I was thinking it would be quite a feat for them to go off rails because of crash physics and whatnot. Also, chocobos.

The flying car will probably work the same way, I think. Unless it doesn't, then hell yeah I want to land that car on a remote island and find a moogle cave or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So this is pretty awesome. Someone wrote up a guide of XV's combat and divided it into small sections where each is coupled with a short video demonstration. Most videos out in the wild do a really poor job of this and provide misleading information (yay age of internet streaming....). This guide provides all of the good stuff. After reading it and watching all of the videos, I can definitely say that it will help players enjoy the combat system much more.

https://sites.google.com/site/darkwavestyle/games-research/final-fantasy-xv-platinum-demo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Xavier434 posted:

So this is pretty awesome. Someone wrote up a guide of XV's combat and divided it into small sections where each is coupled with a short video demonstration. Most videos out in the wild do a really poor job of this and provide misleading information (yay age of internet streaming....). This guide provides all of the good stuff. After reading it and watching all of the videos, I can definitely say that it will help players enjoy the combat system much more.

https://sites.google.com/site/darkwavestyle/games-research/final-fantasy-xv-platinum-demo

Nothing made me more depressed than someone playing the demo, getting stabbed in the face 1000 times and going "Man this game sucks!"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Terper posted this in the FF megathread and not here for some reason. Good thing I keep a throw-away twitter account so I can see what probably terrible nothings we can unlock! Although 45,000 followers and the first thing isn't even unlocked? Yeesh.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apparently, Tabata and the crew gave Aaron Paul some expensive Japanese whiskey as a present before the Uncovered event, so he was drunk while on stage.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Novacrystallis released a summary of the recent ATR. The part about Tabata's daughter is hilarious.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/04/final-fantasy-xv-active-time-report-april-edition-summary

quote:

• Tabata couldn’t actually finish Final Fantasy II.
  • Tabata apologized about his comments regarding Final Fantasy XIII recently. He mentioned that he is a fan himself and the comment he made was meant to be about comparison between the technology FFXIII had and the one FFXV uses.
  • The teaser trailer for Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (movie) has been viewed over 2 million times in total. Brotherhood: FFXV (anime) over 4 million times so far.
  • The team is glad they have gotten more people to know the FFXV universe now through the anime and movie.
  • They didn’t plan to do that slot thing before the release date got leaked. It was planned last minute.
  • Tabata’s daughter told him that his English is terrible.
  • You don’t have to watch the FFXV anime or movie to play the game.
  • North American event director Matt Kishimoto is in a meeting in Japan right now regarding E3 2016.
  • The next Active Time Report will be at E3 2016.
  • Pre-orders for FFXV are doing better than Square Enix imagined in Japan.
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV Japanese theatrical release date.
  • Justice Monsters releases on Android next week, iOS in June and Windows 10 in Summer. 90,000 Japanese users have registered for the game.
  • Square Enix confirmed they will be producing 10,000 more Ultimate Collector’s edition worldwide for the game. They can’t promise it will arrive on the day of FFXV’s release.
  • Tabata yet again confirmed the game will feature New Game+.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Terper posted:

Apparently, Tabata and the crew gave Aaron Paul some expensive Japanese whiskey as a present before the Uncovered event, so he was drunk while on stage.

Anybody who saw him on stage could guess that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/04/22/meet-final-fantasy-xvs-legendary-composer.aspx

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

In a country of humble folk she tops them all

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Awesome, I didn't even realize she was doing the music for this. There's been a huge void, musically, since Uematsu left and besides the battle theme from XIII, I can't really recall any memorable songs that Hamauzu composed. I have really enjoyed the music Shimomura composed for Kingdom Hearts so I'm optimistic that she'll do a great job with XV.

On the subject of music, does anyone else think "Stand by Me" is out of place in this game? Not that I have anything against the cover, it's a beautiful song and I don't even know enough about Florence to have an opinion on her. But the inclusion of it in XV breaks my immersion in the world they're trying to build because in my mind it's already linked so strongly to the real world.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shoren posted:

Awesome, I didn't even realize she was doing the music for this. There's been a huge void, musically, since Uematsu left and besides the battle theme from XIII, I can't really recall any memorable songs that Hamauzu composed. I have really enjoyed the music Shimomura composed for Kingdom Hearts so I'm optimistic that she'll do a great job with XV.

On the subject of music, does anyone else think "Stand by Me" is out of place in this game? Not that I have anything against the cover, it's a beautiful song and I don't even know enough about Florence to have an opinion on her. But the inclusion of it in XV breaks my immersion in the world they're trying to build because in my mind it's already linked so strongly to the real world.

The game's plot is basically Stand By Me. It's a roadtrip with 4 guys, the movie is super popular in Japan.

You're also missing out on all the FF14 OST which is fantastic.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Tae posted:

The game's plot is basically Stand By Me. It's a roadtrip with 4 guys, the movie is super popular in Japan.

Yeah, XIV's composer, Masayoshi Soken, is a huge Uematsu fanboy and has done a fantastic job with the soundtrack. It's a great mix of classic Final Fantasy instrumental pieces, hard rock/metal, and electronic pieces.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My issue with XIV's soundtrack is that I don't forsee myself playing the game, and as far as checking out OSTs goes there are a bunch of different ones and I don't know where to start. :saddowns:

Shimomura's work is good, but only having recently discovered and played Live a Live, her more recent stuff now seems relatively samey. Or maybe that's because it's mostly for the same series but the music in Uncovered and Platinum Demo certainly fit in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhr2mLhmdR4

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Shoren posted:

I agree that it feels out of place and I say that as a big fan of the song, the movie, and FF, mostly because what I enjoy about FF is the other-worldliness of it. I can deal with it though, it's really no big deal.

I'll say that FF15 isn't really telling the same story as Stand By Me, which was an interesting combo of coming of age/facing mortality/the consequences of exploring newfound freedom. FF15 has some of that but also has family issues (facing dad and/or living up to his expectations) and a bit of saving/impressing the girl. Those are coming of age story beats but just not the same ones Stand By Me used.

FF15 most certainly doesn't have a pie eating contest ending in every contestant and the audience throwing up. That scene still makes me laugh uncontrollably to this day.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Better get used to that real world influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVkj9WYtnI

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Tae posted:

Ah, I didn't know about the movie or its popularity in Japan. That makes sense, but I still don't like it. I like the "fantasy based on reality" angle, still I think pop culture is taking it too far.

I'm like AlphaKretin, never touched the online games, probably won't either, and there's so much it's hard to get into. I'll look into it, I'm sure there are some gems in there.

bloodychill posted:

I agree that it feels out of place and I say that as a big fan of the song, the movie, and FF, mostly because what I enjoy about FF is the other-worldliness of it. I can deal with it though, it's really no big deal.

I'll say that FF15 isn't really telling the same story as Stand By Me, which was an interesting combo of coming of age/facing mortality/the consequences of exploring newfound freedom. FF15 has some of that but also has family issues (facing dad and/or living up to his expectations) and a bit of saving/impressing the girl. Those are coming of age story beats but just not the same ones Stand By Me used.

FF15 most certainly doesn't have a pie eating contest ending in every contestant and the audience throwing up. That scene still makes me laugh uncontrollably to this day.

I feel the same, it won't ruin my enjoyment of the game, but it'll be a bit jarring when it comes up at first. I'm sure my mind will come to associate it with XV soon enough.

After reading about the movie's plot and the pie-eating contest, I kind of hope they say least reference that in the game, in some obscure way. Seems like it would be so ridiculously hilarious to see a bunch of anime pretty-boys lose their lunch in a chain reaction.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

AlphaKretin posted:

Shimomura's work is good, but only having recently discovered and played Live a Live

Yoko is good as gently caress and the first game I played where she did the music was Front Mission 1. Also if you didn't pick the coolest shinsanken inheritor (the girl) for the final party in that game, smdh

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shoren posted:

besides the battle theme from XIII, I can't really recall any memorable songs that Hamauzu composed.

Final Fantasy 13 has really good music.

AlphaKretin posted:

Shimomura's work is good, but only having recently discovered and played Live a Live, her more recent stuff now seems relatively samey. Or maybe that's because it's mostly for the same series but the music in Uncovered and Platinum Demo certainly fit in.

She certainly has a recognizable style, but she covered a lot of ranges in all the things she's done. It's distinctive, but usually not really samey per say. The only things I'd really boil down hard as samey would be several pieces throughout the Mario&Luigi games and the sad piano themes she does, mostly from the KH series (Roxas, Ventus, Aqua, and whatever the piano theme in DDD was are all extremely alike) but also dips into other games too. The battle themes usually have some distinct flavor to them that you can pick them apart.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's bizarre that Squaresoft/-Enix had employ of Yasunori Mitsuda and never had him compose a Final Fantasy and that Hitoshi Sakimoto has only really done Ivalice for them.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
I don't remember any of the music from 12 or 13, but when I heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI4hHjECZws from around a minute on is when I stopped worrying about the music for this game. Most memorable music they've used in a trailer since, I dunno, Chrono Cross? Can't wait to hear how it's used in the game.

Also, Heart of Gold feels like such a strangely perfect fit. I'm excited.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chocobo Theme and more.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
did he drift on the chocobo? this game is the best thing

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am really excited for the car, but I gotta say that I am even more excited about those chocobo mechanics. It looks like riding one is more fun than just "running faster" like many past FF titles have been.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta chocobo fast

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

drat it Ignis, I was turning into even more of a fan of you than I already am when I saw you driving in the center of the lane without cutting into the bike lane or wiggling to and fro every three seconds but then when you put the car into reverse you didn't manually see what was behind you you used the drat rear view mirror. I hate that poo poo, when backing up ALWAYS look behind you, it gives you a greater range of vision than just looking in the mirror.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

did he drift on the chocobo? this game is the best thing

just wait until you slipstream behind another chocobo!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Final Fantasy XV: The Phantom Pain

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Don't jinx it!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
But Ignis, I'm already a Diabolos...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX3JmfVC1W8

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Hey, it's more stuff about Kingsglaive: http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-xv-spin-off-movie-still-looks-incredi-1778846614

It sure looks purdy, but man, flashbacks of The Spirits Within and its disastrous consequences...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They isn't really comparable. Spirits Within was a big-budget theatrical flop, while this was created for the sake of promotion using CG on par with what they regularly use in their games, like Advent Children. It's not cheap, I'm sure, but it's not a threat to the stability of the company.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Gologle posted:

drat it Ignis, I was turning into even more of a fan of you than I already am when I saw you driving in the center of the lane without cutting into the bike lane or wiggling to and fro every three seconds but then when you put the car into reverse you didn't manually see what was behind you you used the drat rear view mirror. I hate that poo poo, when backing up ALWAYS look behind you, it gives you a greater range of vision than just looking in the mirror.

He looked behind him at first and onlz then used the rear view mirror, don't worry.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

They isn't really comparable. Spirits Within was a big-budget theatrical flop, while this was created for the sake of promotion using CG on par with what they regularly use in their games, like Advent Children. It's not cheap, I'm sure, but it's not a threat to the stability of the company.

I dunno, the screenshots I've seen look ridiculously high quality, like kinda busted right past the uncanny valley good. I think they might be actually spending some real money on this thing. It's not getting a theatrical release outside Japan so it's not like they're burning money on it, but still this seems like a step up in effort from Advent Children.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Schwartzcough posted:

Hey, it's more stuff about Kingsglaive: http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-xv-spin-off-movie-still-looks-incredi-1778846614

It sure looks purdy, but man, flashbacks of The Spirits Within and its disastrous consequences...

Bummed there's no red band trailer released for this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't forget Advent Children is 11 years old now, you can get a lot more bang for you buck than you did back then

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't forget Advent Children is 11 years old now, you can get a lot more bang for you buck than you did back then

Yeah. Even SEGA put out fantastic CG trailers and shorts when they briefly flitted with putting effort into modern Sonic games.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

What are the odds Luche Lazarus betrays them all three minutes in?

Being "seen as trustworthy" is maximum film code for "is untrustworthy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traverse
Oct 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

What are the odds Luche Lazarus betrays them all three minutes in?

Being "seen as trustworthy" is maximum film code for "is untrustworthy".

I'd bet on it. There's also something about his face that bothers me.

Seems like the Etro painting is still in. I'm curious about the difference between the Kingsglaive and the Crownsguard too. Are the Kingsglaive like... Regis's personal hit squad?

• Locked thread