Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
dropped in my first scouting match and a teammate brought a Griffin 2N (good) with an ERPPC and three LRM5s

we lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

quote:

Game Services Offline Update - Game Services Restored
by Brian Windover in [ Announcements ] on, Apr 22, 2016 4:20 PM UTC

:420::tinfoil::420:

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

dropped in my first scouting match and a teammate brought a Griffin 2N (good) with an ERPPC and three LRM5s

we lost

This is unironically my exact loadout, except I use PPCs

edit: YESS I'm logged in

Onkel Hedwig fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 22, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

we lost

He's technically playing by PGIs desire for that particular mech. They want it to be a long range support medium.

I play it like it should be... SRMS and Medium lasers

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Sorry about that

Unplanned outages are never fun

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Number19 posted:

Sorry about that

Unplanned outages are never fun

Can you find the person who wrote the outage notice and slap them upside the head for publishing a document with "may of" in it?

Edit: Wrong stupid mistake.

Xyretire fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 22, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Every time they show the new pack mech modeled I have this twinge of "I should have gotten one of those" and then I remember their pricing model and go do something better with my life.

So just buy it when it comes out. The pre-order bonuses are usually garbage. 6.5m C-bills is trivial, the cammo is nice I guess if you dig that but whatever, and the modules are pointless the vast majority of the time. If it turns out ot be a good mech buy it if you want to when it's been out a week or whatever. All you miss out on is pre-order BS and you might dodge an Archer.

I bought the Marauder a day after it dropped and bought the Archer pre-order. Guess which one makes me feel like an idiot?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Tried out 4 srm6 artemis and 2 lbx10 on a mauler. It tore up anything that got within a couple hundred metres. I'll try 4 lbx10s next

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So just buy it when it comes out. The pre-order bonuses are usually garbage. 6.5m C-bills is trivial, the cammo is nice I guess if you dig that but whatever, and the modules are pointless the vast majority of the time. If it turns out ot be a good mech buy it if you want to when it's been out a week or whatever. All you miss out on is pre-order BS and you might dodge an Archer.

I bought the Marauder a day after it dropped and bought the Archer pre-order. Guess which one makes me feel like an idiot?

The cyclops is calling softly to me in my sleep. I don't regret buying the Marauder at all but I worry that wont be lucky twice in a row.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Stringbean posted:

He's technically playing by PGIs desire for that particular mech. They want it to be a long range support medium.

I play it like it should be... SRMS and Medium lasers

all SRMs :colbert:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

taqueso posted:

all SRMs :colbert:

SRMs and Flamers :getin:

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Stringbean posted:

SRMs and Flamers :getin:

Flaming SRMs

1 Day free premium: APRIL2016FPT

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Super 3 posted:

Flaming SRMs

1 Day free premium: APRIL2016FPT

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to seeing his well premium stacks with the tournament supporter boost.

Gotta get those fat stacks

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
So 4v4 is kinda fun

I really wanna run it with four robots that complement one another (even if "also has a shitload of missiles" is the only way they do)

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The power combo we settled on a few days ago against clans was 2 griffins with ECM and SRMs (maybe flamers too) and 2 BJ-1Xs doing their laserboat thing. Tear off a heat sink and throw an AMS on these and the splatcrow swarms are seriously neutered. Hunchback 4SPs are also interchangeable with those 1Xs because they can eat damage forever, but they are significantly slower unfortunately.

It did really well against IS teams as well, and the big problem we ran into as all mediums is if a scout team dropped as all lights that focused on legging us and gathering intel, but it only happened once iirc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

The power combo we settled on a few days ago against clans was 2 griffins with ECM and SRMs (maybe flamers too) and 2 BJ-1Xs doing their laserboat thing. Tear off a heat sink and throw an AMS on these and the splatcrow swarms are seriously neutered. Hunchback 4SPs are also interchangeable with those 1Xs because they can eat damage forever, but they are significantly slower unfortunately.

It did really well against IS teams as well, and the big problem we ran into as all mediums is if a scout team dropped as all lights that focused on legging us and gathering intel, but it only happened once iirc.

yeah that sounds about right. I might have to finally break out my -2N over the -3M since the extra speed probably isn't worth it

Oxides seemed to be p. effective too because there's no 50-point pinpoint alphas out there to really mess them up

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Also I think that given the low-alpha nature of the game mode you could win by taking, say, four PPC/ERPPC jumpsnipers and staying at range the whole game

like I seriously think you could win with Panthers if you had enough time

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The problem with taking jumpsnipers is that you will get dogged down and murdered because the majority of mediums you'll be fighting aren't that slow. Either you'll be fighting mediums that can still maneuver to approach and then murder you, or you'll be fighting a light that is stupid fast that will run in and gut you horribly.

I had some success with a pirate's bane with an ERPPC that I was playing as a joke. Killed two wounded stormcrows and evaded a third to win by dropship boarding.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

The problem with taking jumpsnipers is that you will get dogged down and murdered because the majority of mediums you'll be fighting aren't that slow. Either you'll be fighting mediums that can still maneuver to approach and then murder you, or you'll be fighting a light that is stupid fast that will run in and gut you horribly.

I had some success with a pirate's bane with an ERPPC that I was playing as a joke. Killed two wounded stormcrows and evaded a third to win by dropship boarding.

yeah that makes sense

I just have this vision of like two sets of PPC Panthers doing an overwatch retreat against a bunch of Streakcrows on Polar that can't quiiiiite catch up to them before being legged

incidentally legging seems to be The Way To Go in this gamemode

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Super 3 posted:

The cyclops is calling softly to me in my sleep. I don't regret buying the Marauder at all but I worry that wont be lucky twice in a row.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Like I said, I"m waiting until I see what the quirks are.

That said, speaking of Marauders I've been having a good time in a 3R with 2 LBX10 and 2 LL. The spread reduction really helped.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I've been seeing a lot of SHD-2D2s with four SRM4 and an AC/10 or LBX-10. any good?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Server poo poo the bed, 5 people on each team got the idea to restart the client...

e: Also am getting better at Lights. Aim for Rear Side Torsos. Love that poo poo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

As the owner of both those packs I'm pretty sure I know which one :suicide:

Honestly I'm just gonna wait for the Cbill release. I have plenty of mechs. Fully 1/4 of my poo poo isn't even kitted out at the moment, so there's literally no reason to add more to that pile.

Although if the Cyclops ends up being good I'll probably fork over some cash for it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
calling all hunchback bros, I wanna run a 4 AC/20 -4G lance in scouting at some point and aim only for legs

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Legging reminds me of the match we had a few days ago, where we were on 4v4 defense on Grim Plexus. We captured 10 points and killed 3 mechs, then waited the timer out until the dropship showed up. The Jenner that remained tried making a mad dash for the drop ship, so we legged it, stripped it's arms off, and took almost all of it's armor while we ran around it, shooting the air in front of it until the dropship timer counted down. Good times.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
What are the best current IS mechs?

Trying to update my CW deck, right now - heres what I have

TDR-5SS, 9SE
BLR-1S
STK-4N
Maulers
MADs
BJ-1X x2
Ravens
Wolfhounds
Firestarters
Warhammers
Banshees
Atlases

my deck right now is TDR-5SS, WHM-5D, WHM-7S, BJ-1X, what should I buy?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

FARTSTAR posted:

What are the best current IS mechs?

Trying to update my CW deck, right now - heres what I have

TDR-5SS, 9SE
BLR-1S
STK-4N
Maulers
MADs
BJ-1X x2
Ravens
Wolfhounds
Firestarters
Warhammers
Banshees
Atlases

my deck right now is TDR-5SS, WHM-5D, WHM-7S, BJ-1X, what should I buy?

Black Knights seem to be where it's at for heavies. You've got everything else to make a varied dropship.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The lpl banshee is loving nuts

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
had a 1360 damage round last night i the old lbx mauler.

turns out lbxs on a ddc are still garbage. people are going to expect you to tank the entire enemy team and you need to torso twist for that

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
That tourney 10% c-bill bonus really adds up. Lost a match but still managed to net 330k

Time to drag out the WHM-BW and start buying everything.

The war horn they give you is pretty awesome too. A cheering crowd when I get a kill in my IFR is worth it even more.

e: I kind of like the MLX over the ACH... I don't know why though. The ACH is better in every sense of the word.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Im just getting back into this and want to get a new mech. I dont have any lights yet and want to pick one up.

What id like is something very fast with all the sensors for scouting, and preferably lots of missile slots. Id like to load it up with streaks if i can. Any recommendations?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ptkfvk posted:

Im just getting back into this and want to get a new mech. I dont have any lights yet and want to pick one up.

What id like is something very fast with all the sensors for scouting, and preferably lots of missile slots. Id like to load it up with streaks if i can. Any recommendations?

Not doing that.

If you want to putter around with shitloads of streaks a Jenner IIC is going to be your best bet, but it's better loaded up with regular SRM6s

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ptkfvk posted:

What Cyrano said, you want missiles go with the Jenner IIC or plotz some change down and buy an Oxide. But streaks aren't what you're going to want in either.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

cool beans. thanks

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also don't devote tonnage to BAP or something thinking you're getting "all the sensors" so you'll be a scout. Scouting in this game - where it exists - is more about seeing the enemy without being seen, in which case an ECM is what you need.

Really, though, lights here are mostly for outmaneuvering assaults to rip up back armor.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

yeah, im trying to get more competitive. i like goofy loadouts though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Scouting Trip Report:

Good mechs to bring are Blackjacks, Griffins, Shadow Hawks, Centurions, and Oxides, but really anything that can rock a bunch of SRMs or MLs is very good. Ideal group is probably two BJ-1X and two GFN--2N

Shoot legs! All of those robots can leg clan mechs very quickly

Scouting is actually p. important because most clan groups will be Streakcrows, Splatcrows, or SPL crows. You can focus down their legs from range and win very quickly, but only if you know where they are

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The Pirates Bane seems to be far and away the best scouting mech. Tiny, ECM, and tons of module slots for extended range sensors, seismic, and target info mods. It also eats assaults within the first minute or two of a match.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Teamkill/damage timer is bullshit, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
NAME'N'SHAME

• Locked thread