Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You guys should check the NMS thread it's got some quality true believing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

On a scale of 1 to Star Citizen, how hilarious is it?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's honestly not THAT bad. There's people actually hyped, but there's also a lot of wary folks too.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

AceClown posted:

Exploring a galaxy, but not with friends, nope, that one thing most people want to do, can't do it, sorry...

I certainly understand this sentiment, but you can apply it to something like rogue likes and say they are "An rpg where you can't save, and if you die you have to start over. Sure sounds fun, huh?"

I think there's something to be said for bending expectations, even if it comes at the risk of not being that thing that everyone thinks they want. I think to complain about this sort of artistic risk-taking you have to be fundamentally boring.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

I want [...] the destruction of our planet [...] in my lifetime. I also [...] like [...] really big dongus.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Mr. Belding posted:

this sort of artistic risk-taking

plz do not troll me in the stabrond thread

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

plz do not troll me in the stabrond thread

*inhales deeply on my harmonica and loads http://reissendewoelfe.de/abc/allthesmallthings-solo.abc*

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
No Mans Starbound

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Rrussom posted:

No Mans Starbound

No Man's Sporebound Citizen

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
No Mans Satisfaction

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mokinokaro posted:

It's honestly not THAT bad. There's people actually hyped, but there's also a lot of wary folks too.

There's one hell of a lot of "Well maybe this game just isn't for you" poo poo in that thread.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I love this thread. It's pretty much the colostomy bag of the games sub forum. All the poo poo from other games seems to funnel here. :)

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I love this thread. It's pretty much the colostomy bag of the games sub forum. All the poo poo from other games seems to funnel here. :)

like attracts like

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This thread is like the Sons of Anarchy one in TVIV; totally acceptable to talk about other shows while openly making GBS threads on SOA-itself.

:allears:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

deadly_pudding posted:

This works, too, but I'd prefer the hardcode version honestly in a game with online multiplayer support.

Not a data file as in "a file which is distributed with the client and parsed at runtime", but a source file which contains a populated data structure.

senae posted:

Not necessarily from a game design point of view, maybe, but switch statements would be helpful for making a series of discrete input options. Like you've got a dropdown with several possible options, a switch statement can be more readable, and a little easier to expand.

Of course, there might be some reason at a low level to not ever use a switch statement that I just don't know, and hardcoding a list of items or w/e is the worst goddamn idea.

You've just described event handling, which is a prime use case for a dispatch table.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Same but unironically

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rrussom posted:

No Mans Satisfaction

I can't get no starbound

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
:nms: is really cool and interesting and impressive. From a technical perspective.

Like a really sci fi episode of Star Trek were they get bogged down in the conceptual stuff and forget that you also need a fun plot to drive it :smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shoehead posted:

:nms: is really cool and interesting and impressive. From a technical perspective.

Like a really sci fi episode of Star Trek were they get bogged down in the conceptual stuff and forget that you also need a fun plot to drive it :smith:

Nah dude if you think it's boring then it's probably just not for you

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
What if starbound had the benz

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

What if starbound had the benz

The what?

I can't Starbound jokes today, I have the dumb.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best episodes of tng are data ones, and also mystery time ones. why is data acting so weird... were they really unconscious for only 30 seconds ?? why is the enterprise frozen in time ?? why are they repeating the same time loop over and over ??

now data is in the 1800s. he is a Frenchman

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Having gone through a bunch of the thread: A to see if starbound was good yet, and then B: Having discovered the answer was no but there were a bunch of insane anecdotes from what working on it was like, to read those, and going through the discussion on the failures of Early Alpha... I wonder if there's space for like, a more involved service that performs some of the usual functions of a publisher. Holding the money in trust to be given out as needed so the developer can't cut and run, requiring an actual design doc and some sort of project management if you want to try to get funded through the service.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nah, that's basically 'a publisher'. Crowd funding works, crowd management does not. Barring some incredibly byzantine representative republic of kickstarter.

It's on people to decide who and how much they should provide patronage to, and we're talking about the price of a lunch or a dinner to possibly get a very cool game for cheap in most cases, so it's not like you're assuming a lot of risk for a comparatively significant payout.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

AnonSpore posted:

Nah dude if you think it's boring then it's probably just not for you

I'm glad it exists though!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I can't leave well enough alone

help

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

help

If I were you, I'd gang bang "well enough" until these are finished. These look good. What are you using to make them with? Any specific program?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Cicadas! posted:

help

Dude, at this point just make your own game!

You're as qualified as Tiy

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

dog kisser posted:

Dont say that, its very rude

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Dont say that, its very rude

I agree with Rrussom. You are being very inconsiderate to the guy by saying that. He has genuine talent whereas Tiy does not. Tiy only has an "eye for talent".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dog kisser posted:

This very thread can set you right on any intellectual quandaries you may have regarding what variety of ill-advised data structure you should use for your items and/or tiles.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

dog kisser posted:

Every time I try to get started on that goal I end up really overwhelmed and stop short of anything productive. Working on this/others has actually made me a lot more comfortable with getting stuff knocked out quickly and neatly, though, and also I really enjoy it. Implementing it, not so much, but I'll get there eventually.

What's the current go-to engine that everybody uses nowadays? Is unity good for 2D stuff now too, or what?

Face Melter posted:

If I were you, I'd gang bang "well enough" until these are finished. These look good. What are you using to make them with? Any specific program?

Paint for general-use, Aseprite for animation and transparency. Yes, that paint. It's what I learned on and I can't seem to let go for some reason. Aseprite is a really great program, though, and I should be using it for more than just animating.

deadly_pudding posted:

This very thread can set you right on any intellectual quandaries you may have regarding what variety of ill-advised data structure you should use for your items and/or tiles.

It's Haskell, right? I'm supposed to use Haskell?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Cicadas! posted:

What's the current go-to engine that everybody uses nowadays? Is unity good for 2D stuff now too, or what?

Paint for general-use, Aseprite for animation and transparency. Yes, that paint. It's what I learned on and I can't seem to let go for some reason. Aseprite is a really great program, though, and I should be using it for more than just animating.

Unity's very much in vogue right now with indies for 2D stuff. Game maker is surprisingly versatile too.

You're pretty much on exactly the same path I was, I used mspaint for years and switched to Graphics Gale when I had to animate. If you're used to mspaint I'd really recommend Gale, you can arrange it so it feels just like paint except you can animate and pick colors with HSL rather than RGB.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cicadas! posted:

Only if you're chasing some kind of pipe-dream it's so elegant aesthetic like Doctor Octopus, or two of my college roommates.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh Cicadas, you should hop on a team for SAGDC this summer. We make the goofiest poo poo every year.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've been wanting to do that myself. Put my speed-modeling skills to the test.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Oh Cicadas, you should hop on a team for SAGDC this summer. We make the goofiest poo poo every year.

Those always turn out the silliest things and I love to follow them, but I've never been able to work up the nerve to participate. Is it very high-stakes?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

Those always turn out the silliest things and I love to follow them, but I've never been able to work up the nerve to participate. Is it very high-stakes?

It's pretty tame. A few people wake up with severed horse heads in their beds and one guy got thrown out of a hotel window but everyone kinda expected that. I mean, it's a competition after all.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

...one guy got thrown out of a hotel window...

Where do I sign up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Arkitektbmw posted:

Where do I sign up?

Best Western.

• Locked thread