Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Detectorists is charming and hilarious. Everyone please watch it and maybe Netflix will hurry and get S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Netflix suggested that I watch 'How to get away with murder' and despite the show's high ratings I really don't like it. I just can't watch this kind of older series formula anymore with the addition of every cast member going 'behold how masterful I am, watch as I intellectually slam dunk all of you right now'. Not for me, I dropped it after the first episode.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Palpek posted:

Netflix suggested that I watch 'How to get away with murder' and despite the show's high ratings I really don't like it. I just can't watch this kind of older series formula anymore with the addition of every cast member going 'behold how masterful I am, watch as I intellectually slam dunk all of you right now'. Not for me, I dropped it after the first episode.

It gets better once they warm up to each other a bit and you get a taste of the mystery but I still couldn't say I really recommend it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That new Pee Wee movie was weird and not that good. Had a few good bits, but meh. Good for Paul Reubens, though. You could tell he was having a blast.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Season 2 of Daredevil just went up at 3am EST today. Made it through 3 episodes before work, and so far, it's awesome!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

10 Beers posted:

Season 2 of Daredevil just went up at 3am EST today. Made it through 3 episodes before work, and so far, it's awesome!

Awesome like last season or they fixed the pacing issues awesome?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

wormil posted:

They fixed the pacing issues from what I've seen. New characters are not just jammed in but slowly introduced and not immediately giving Daredevil their complete backstory.

There's also a scene that is as good or better than the hallway fight from first season.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm about 3 episodes into the season and it's kinda meh for me so far. But yeah that fight scene was loving good(the stairwell right?)!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's a much better season of television so far, and Foggy isn't totally insufferable now. That said, it's not completely engaging and lacks a hook like Kingpin. But I really liked Jessica Jones, and I know there are a lot of people who preferred season 1 of DD to that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really enjoyed both season 1 of DD and JJ and am currently marathoning season 2 all day.

I never really felt the first season had pacing issues but I may just be in the minority. Season 2 has been fantastic thus far IMO.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I didn't have any problems with the pacing in season 1 either, but I'm easy to please. I'm only 4 eps into season 2 but it's really good so far; it actually feels like a natural progression from where they were in season 1 instead of just more of the same with some new characters thrown in. I also like that Punisher is being depicted as an unhinged lunatic instead of a cool badass antihero.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

A lot of folks are still complaining about pacing and how it seems disjointed because they've shoveled three different major (well, at least two, I never thought Elektra was super important in the MCU, but maybe I'm just misogynistic and ignored her books as a kid,) characters and subsequent storylines into one show. I wasn't super fond of Elektra because her showing up causes Matt to just become a bumbling idiot who manages to gently caress up everything he's supposed to be doing because *old girlfriend*. The ninjas were a bit over the top and silly to me however, they are pretty much canonical to the source material. There are only a couple loose ends which don't seem to be dealt with by the end of S2 (the hole :argh: ) but it sounds as though they will be used to lead into more MCU show branch-offs. I think my personal least-favorite bits were the flashbacks which show Matt and Elektra's history, because, well, she's never been much more than a boring ninja in a silly outfit to me personally.

The casting for Frank Castle is bar-none the best part of the second season imho, and while a bunch of goons hated on Karen Page and "her terrible writing" I enjoyed seeing her get some screen time. The excuse for Castle's ridiculous combat aptitude is pretty reasonable (he got shot in the head which leaves him in permanent fight-or-flight state, giving him the ability to be running on pure adrenaline basically at all times - although it's not as cool as Death just having a boner for him.)

An extremely satisfying season, most of the failings of the show were more of the failings of the source material from what I recall of reading DD books, such as the back and forth fighting between Foggy and Matt, which has been going on ever since DD began and will probably never ever end, despite how infantile it often seems.

They also bring Fisk back in and show one of my personal favorite, penultimate Punisher scenes ( not much of a spoiler if you're familiar with anything about Punisher the prison fight.)

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Mar 23, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, I'm probably done with DD. Enjoyed the comic as a kid but not the series.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
It might just be because I just finished watching the arrow and the flash (both on netflix) but the 2nd season of DD is far better then those shows and in my opinion one of the best super heroes shows I have ever seen. I think I could say one of the best shows in general that I have ever watched.

Besides Jessica Jones are there other super hero shows that people feel are better then DD s2? I'm going to need my fix once I'm done binging through this season.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Clinton1011 posted:

It might just be because I just finished watching the arrow and the flash (both on netflix) but the 2nd season of DD is far better then those shows and in my opinion one of the best super heroes shows I have ever seen. I think I could say one of the best shows in general that I have ever watched.

Besides Jessica Jones are there other super hero shows that people feel are better then DD s2? I'm going to need my fix once I'm done binging through this season.

I've heard good things about Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD, but I've never watched either one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

10 Beers posted:

I've heard good things about Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD, but I've never watched either one.

SHIELD is really odd because the first season is noooooooooot great but after that it gets pretty dang entertaining.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The first half of S1 AOS is mediocre, second half is much improved; but it takes off like a roller coaster after that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

Yeah, I'm probably done with DD. Enjoyed the comic as a kid but not the series.
If nothing else, look up which episode has the Punisher in prison. It's maybe the best ep of the season, and one of only two eps from s02 with Vincent Donofrio, iirc..

I liked Agents of Shield because it's fun and funny, the later seasons got kinda complicated and I petered out on watching them. I liked Agent Carter but haven't gotten around to seeing the newer episodes yet, for some reason it reminds me a lot of Torchwood.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Clinton1011 posted:

Gotham is worth a watch but I don't know if it's better or even "good" necessarily. It has some really, really great episodes but I just can't pin down how I feel about it as a whole. I didn't like it as much as Flash, but liked it more than Arrow. The tone and approach is completely different.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

He Never Died is on Netflix and is amazing.

This view may be biased based on my love for Henry Rollins

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

I liked Agents of Shield because it's fun and funny, the later seasons got kinda complicated and I petered out on watching them.

All you have to remember about AOS, is that ...Ward... is always evil and is the best TV villain because he sees himself as the good guy; and May is always irrelevant. Everything else is just side story. Seriously, imagine the series that way and you never get lost. I like that they are not afraid of making big plot moves and the pace is fast for TV. My wife misses an episode here and there and I have to spend 5 minutes explaining things. The only show I watch with a faster pace is The Last Ship (which does more in one episode than some series accomplish in a season).

13Pandora13 posted:

Gotham is worth a watch but I don't know if it's better or even "good" necessarily. It has some really, really great episodes but I just can't pin down how I feel about it as a whole. I didn't like it as much as Flash, but liked it more than Arrow. The tone and approach is completely different.

The only CW series I like at all is izombie but S2 is boring me. My daughter enjoys it and we watch it together otherwise I would have quit. (although I never get tired of Major's constant torment) Gotham never interested me, at all. It looks well made but over-dramatic, just not my thing.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I'd say the pacing issues were fixed but the final few episodes felt like a slog to me, mainly because they were pretty fight-heavy putting DD against the same boring opponents. The events of those episodes kind of blended together for me eventually.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
New season of Archer is up. Not great, but a thousand times better than Archer Vice was.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Season five of both Bob's Burgers and Parts Unknown just went up. Goodbye, weekend.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

New season of Archer is up. Not great, but a thousand times better than Archer Vice was.

I'm already tired of Mallory's disdain for the baby...and just the baby dynamic in general. I wish they would have kept it as Archer trying to be a better guy and get back with Lana without having the baby story line.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Lemmy is loving great.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've been watching this Roseanne ""Collection"". It's kind of super annoying.

It's reminded me that it was actually a really funny show. But there are currently 50 episodes on it, and they're all in random order!? It's seriously as if you ordered the episodes right, and then hit a randomizer. In these episodes, Rosanne and Jackie are both pregnant, and episodes just keep jumping from "I'm sick of being pregnant" to, "I just got pregnant!" to "This new baby is hard" to "Hey, I'm thinking of getting pregnant."

If I hadn't watched the poo poo out of the show as a kid, I'd have know clue what's happening.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No, crass blue collar comedies from that era are garbage. Why would you expect it to hold up?

Try Married, With Children next up and let us know how great it used to be when you were 20-30 years younger.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

coyo7e posted:

No, crass blue collar comedies from that era are garbage. Why would you expect it to hold up?

Try Married, With Children next up and let us know how great it used to be when you were 20-30 years younger.

Holy poo poo, is this ever true. I was getting ready for work the other day and noticed that MwC was on, and thought "Oh, neat!" I made it through about five minutes before I couldn't handle it anymore.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

10 Beers posted:

Holy poo poo, is this ever true. I was getting ready for work the other day and noticed that MwC was on, and thought "Oh, neat!" I made it through about five minutes before I couldn't handle it anymore.
I saw some write-up the other day about Friends and how the entire premise and progression of the show was the only character with half a brain and who most people forget was literally a scientist, slowly lost his mind by hanging out with one-dimensional people. Oh poor Ross, how the mighty have fallen

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mountain Men was pretty okay. Tyler Labine is always fun and his brother directed it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Paradoxically all the friends annoy the hell out of me but I will still watch the show if it comes on.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

They were on a break.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I noticed that Rick and Morty is now on Netflix and EVERYBODY should watch that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Palpek posted:

I noticed that Rick and Morty is now on Netflix and EVERYBODY should watch that.

What country because it's not on US Netflix but has been on US Hulu for awhile.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
It's on the norwegian netflix at least, but only the first season last time I checked.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

coyo7e posted:

I saw some write-up the other day about Friends and how the entire premise and progression of the show was the only character with half a brain and who most people forget was literally a scientist, slowly lost his mind by hanging out with one-dimensional people. Oh poor Ross, how the mighty have fallen

God, Ross was the worst

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

epsilon-6 posted:

God, Ross was the worst

Ross is the Ted Moseby of Friends

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How soon will the new Game of Thrones be available on hbogo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How soon will the new Game of Thrones be available on hbogo?

Should be immediately after airing as far as I know.