Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's got huge thermal mass so, while it would be a hell of a lot slower to heat up/cool down, it should keep temperature for quite a lot longer.

That’s a given, but it’s it’s an outcrop of bedrock, it’s also going to act as a sink indefinitely. Rock is a good deal more conductive than concrete or brickwork.

That could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the climate.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
All you need is some tusks and a googly eye and you could always obliquely mention "the elephant in the room"

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I can't help but think my cats would be all

24/7

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

poo poo yeah, cats would love that thing. Alternately, get a couple goats to chill on it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We had one of those in our basement as a kid. The house was supposed to have a full basement but the blasting for the bedrock was not going well and causing problems for the neighbors wells. So they made half the basement a crawl spaces where there was still rock, and had some of the rock stick into the full height section rather than lose a foot off the whole room.

It was very cool. I hope no one ever tries to make it into a full finished basement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Platystemon posted:

That’s a given, but it’s it’s an outcrop of bedrock, it’s also going to act as a sink indefinitely. Rock is a good deal more conductive than concrete brickwork.

That could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the climate.

Wouldn't it be constantly pulling the interior temperature towards the year-round average air temperature in the area? Seems like that would be universally helpful unless you're parked on a hot spring or trying to heat a house in the arctic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, yes and no. I mean yes it would pull toward a more average temp, but in the winter, that's not really going to help. It means it'd naturally try to keep your house above the outside temp, but it'd also try to keep your house probably BELOW the desired inside temp. It's a lot easier to insulate your house against cold air outside than a giant heat sink inside. So in cases where your desired house temp is somewhere between the outside temp and the rock, it's great. In case where the rock temp is between your desired house temp and the outside, you're fighting it.

I think.

That being said, my parents house was this weird sorta hexagon with a couple wings off it, and in the center of the hexagon was a big gently caress-off fireplace, brick chimney thing about 8' across, as a central post in the house. Build a giant fire in there for a day and that thing would hold temp for DAYS after the fire was out, was super nice.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
"What size doors do we need to order?"
"Eh, it doesn't matter."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No way that wall was there before the doors. No way. I have to believe someone decided the wall needed to come out afterwards, or it is possibly even a permanent temporary wall. I would just say temp, but there's the fire alarm, sooooo v:v:v

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bad Munki posted:

That being said, my parents house was this weird sorta hexagon with a couple wings off it, and in the center of the hexagon was a big gently caress-off fireplace, brick chimney thing about 8' across, as a central post in the house. Build a giant fire in there for a day and that thing would hold temp for DAYS after the fire was out, was super nice.

not to be creepy but do you have a pic because that sounds dope as hell

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not really that dope: because of the shape of the house, the portion of the roof surrounding the fireplace was marginally sloped, but the roof over the two wings was flat, and this was in super rainy and somewhat snowy southeast AK, so now I have a deep repulsion to flat roofed houses. Like, I was looking at houses in the middle of the Arizona desert at one point my life and every time I saw a flat-roofed house, which is totally fine there, I noped right out, my brain wouldn't even consider it.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics though. Roof situation aside, yeah, the fireplace thing was pretty cool, and while it was fairly typical 70s/80s fare (the house was built in 1980), the layout of the house in general was solid. Couple that with it being on top of a forest-covered hill almost entirely within the one lot, it was an awesome place to grow up.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 23, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Most of the houses around where I lived had good sized chunks of gneiss poking out in the basements. Those basements were delightfully cool on the hottest days of the summer, and never too cool in the winter. It's just really good insulation and a temperature equalizer.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bad Munki posted:

Not really that dope: because of the shape of the house, the portion of the roof surrounding the fireplace was marginally sloped, but the roof over the two wings was flat, and this was in super rainy and somewhat snowy southeast AK, so now I have a deep repulsion to flat roofed houses. Like, I was looking at houses in the middle of the Arizona desert at one point my life and every time I saw a flat-roofed house, which is totally fine there, I noped right out, my brain wouldn't even consider it.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics though. Roof situation aside, yeah, the fireplace thing was pretty cool, and while it was fairly typical 70s/80s fare (the house was built in 1980), the layout of the house in general was solid. Couple that with it being on top of a forest-covered hill almost entirely within the one lot, it was an awesome place to grow up.

it sounds it

the town i grew up in has the only twin octagonal houses in america and this reminded me of them, i've always had a soft spot for them because they remind me of home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_and_Stancliff_Octagon_Houses

im gonna try a link a google book excerpt about it but idk if anyone else would ever care about it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Did they just randomly draw some lines in the cement?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think they started in the bottom middle and did okay with the surrounding hexagons. Then the acid kicked in and they forgot how geometry works.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Maybe it is a flattened version of a 4th dimensional hexagon. If you model it correctly, it becomes an object with 6 faces that can travel through time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to guess they have a hexagon-pattern stamp and whoever used it didn't know to line up the second impression with the edges of the first.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I turned on the lights in my kitchen a few minutes ago (I don't use that light much) and they flickered and went bzzzzz. So I turned off the breaker for that circuit and investigated. Turns out the screws that hold the wires in the wall switch hadn't been tightened down properly, and had been like that since before I moved in. They weren't even finger tight, just kinda sitting there. I tightened them down by hand, then noticed the other switch in that box (garbage disposal) was the same way.

Turns out the garbage disposal is on a different breaker from the lights, despite the switch being in the same box. :supaburn:

The shock felt mild, just a bit tingly, but afterward I noticed both hands were tingly. Right is the one that made contact. Not sure what left was doing, or if it was touching anything (I'm normally pretty careful about that sort of thing, but I guess my attention lapsed). So either the tingling in my left hand was just adrenaline, or I might have maybe come a wee bit close to dying. :shrug:

I have written a note to myself and any future owners on the inside of the door covering the breaker box.

Edit: lol, it still flickers if I poke one of the sockets in the light fixture

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 24, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
For clarification, it's not uncommon at all for multiple circuits to be found in one box. That wasn't a freak accident, so store that experience for later use :)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
These are cheap and nobody has any business opening a panel cover or unscrewing an outlet without owning one (or more).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

For clarification, it's not uncommon at all for multiple circuits to be found in one box. That wasn't a freak accident, so store that experience for later use :)

Haha, yeah, I'm not really that surprised, it was just a moment of thoughtlessness. Forget testing tools (which I already own) I could have just flipped the switch to make sure the circuit was dead. :downs:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

In all seriousness I assume that was once a basement that has been finished and turned into an inlaw apartment complete with attached kitchen. Or, possibly it's a house on a slope and someone at some point decided to build an addition, and removing the huge boulder first was going to be both way too costly, and potentially dangerous to the foundation. Especially if it's not actually a boulder but rather an exposed hunk of bedrock.

It's amazing, though. I'd be sorely tempted to take a stone sculpture class or two, and then get some chisels and hammers and try my hand at permanent indoor sculpture.

Nope, there's no basements in this area of California. They literally just poured what looks like a slab foundation around this boulder.

Looking at the lot it seems like it was really the only place to put a house and they didn't have the means or didn't want to get it removed in 1947 when it was built.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It might have been a lot easier to get it removed in 1947 than it would be today. I don’t mean because it wasn’t surrounded by a house; I mean because you may have been allowed to employ explosives.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It might have been a take on some movements in 60s design. They really liked to incorporate existing boulders and landscape features into their houses. It looses something outside of the appropriate colors and interior design though. What year was the house built?

I mean, I'd want a boulder in my house. I'd screw hand-holds into it and do bouldering in the privacy of my own home!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 24, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Yeah, I'm maybe naive, but I assume when there's a giant boulder in the middle of a house, that it's a feature instead of a bug. I'd be totally on board for a boulder house.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh man. Going back and looking at the listing, Bolderhouse is awesome! It's on top of a hill looking over a town in the desert. It's got a den that's nothing but bookshelves, a nice pool, a fantastic patio... Man, all that thing needs is some updated paint and paneling on the inside, and some updated land and rock scaping on the outside. If the electrical and plumbing and if the house is securely bolted to the boulder.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh man. Going back and looking at the listing, Bolderhouse is awesome! It's on top of a hill looking over a town in the desert. It's got a den that's nothing but bookshelves, a nice pool, a fantastic patio... Man, all that thing needs is some updated paint and paneling on the inside, and some updated land and rock scaping on the outside. If the electrical and plumbing and if the house is securely bolted to the boulder.

You could also chain your bike to it, saving on concrete.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Zopotantor posted:

You could also chain your bike to it, saving on concrete.

What if we put the boulder on wheels? Then we could move it! And probably the whole house! Then we can safely park ANYWHERE!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Turns out the garbage disposal is on a different breaker from the lights, despite the switch being in the same box. :supaburn:

Uhh, multiple circuits sharing a box is allowed. Think about it: all of your circuits come together in your main panel. As for the flickering at the socket, that sounds like a bad connection there. Either a wire is loose, or the spring at the bottom of the socket isn't making contact with the bulb all the time.

FCKGW posted:

Nope, there's no basements in this area of California.

Just subways :v:

fake edit: pretend I wrote a 400 pound chunk of concrete joke.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

kid sinister posted:

Uhh, multiple circuits sharing a box is allowed. Think about it: all of your circuits come together in your main panel.
This is probably a thing that is different based on what country you're in, but the main panel isn't considered to be the same as 'a box' over here.

I'd be well surprised and pissed if I pulled a fuse and it disconnects only half of a box. Those brown wires carry 240V 16A.

My house is built under 1962 code, which is basically "burn your house down if you want". GFCI is recommended, and if you do 150mA is fine, but you don't have to.
One of the few things that isn't allowed is running multiple groups in the same conduit. Boxes are considered part of the conduit. It seems stupidly dangerous to me that something like that would be allowed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Deedle posted:

This is probably a thing that is different based on what country you're in, but the main panel isn't considered to be the same as 'a box' over here.

I'd be well surprised and pissed if I pulled a fuse and it disconnects only half of a box. Those brown wires carry 240V 16A.

My house is built under 1962 code, which is basically "burn your house down if you want". GFCI is recommended, and if you do 150mA is fine, but you don't have to.
One of the few things that isn't allowed is running multiple groups in the same conduit. Boxes are considered part of the conduit. It seems stupidly dangerous to me that something like that would be allowed.
So every single circuit where you're at has its own dedicated length of conduit (and boxes)? Sounds like the conduit manufacturers have an excellent lobby presence :)

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Slugworth posted:

So every single circuit where you're at has its own dedicated length of conduit (and boxes)? Sounds like the conduit manufacturers have an excellent lobby presence :)
Yes, that said, my house only has 5 groups. The 3 phase stuff needs 3 5/8" conduits and special boxes, because you can't have more than one phase in a conduit.

So yeah at the main panel there are 7 conduits coming out for those 5 groups.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

You were beat by 2 days posting that picture.

Deedle posted:

You're from the UK? I thought they called GFCIs something different there.

Then why even run conduit there? The 2 main benefits of conduit instead of running bundled wires is to run multiple circuits along the same path, and ease of updating the wiring in the future.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bad Munki posted:

Well, yes and no. I mean yes it would pull toward a more average temp, but in the winter, that's not really going to help. It means it'd naturally try to keep your house above the outside temp, but it'd also try to keep your house probably BELOW the desired inside temp. It's a lot easier to insulate your house against cold air outside than a giant heat sink inside. So in cases where your desired house temp is somewhere between the outside temp and the rock, it's great. In case where the rock temp is between your desired house temp and the outside, you're fighting it.

I think.

That is exactly right. I'm sure it works out fine in Riverside, but in cold climates you definitely want insulation between your home and the ground (you just don't need nearly as much of it compared to the outside air).

Slugworth posted:

You can get by with a lot fewer circuits in 240v systems.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Repost or not, I want to know why there is styrofoam on the walls.

My guess? A self-installed cooler. Not a giant walk-in restaurant cooler, but regular cheap styrofoam cooler.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

It's just fairly standard polystyrene insulation. Obviously poorly retrofitted in, but the application is probably as simple as 'it's a wall, and it needed insulation'.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kid sinister posted:

You were beat by 2 days posting that picture.

You're from the UK? I thought they called GFCIs something different there.

Then why even run conduit there? The 2 main benefits of conduit instead of running bundled wires is to run multiple circuits along the same path, and ease of updating the wiring in the future.

RCD, which stands for Residual Current Device. As for the conduit issue, I have no idea, but the UK is also the place where they think ring mains are a good idea so it might have something to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
UK rings aren't 16A though, they're 32. Deedle is probably in some other Euro country (which probably requires conduit because they consider unprotected NM cable frighteningly vulnerable to damage and thus dangerous).