Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
web should die i was much happier before the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The web is not the internet

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
when you just can't handle the fact that validating phone numbers any other way than texting the number is dumb

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

CommunistPancake posted:

there's third party drivers for ext4 on windows (though, if you use them more from windows than linux, just use ntfs or exfat)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, the ext ifs driver actually works just fine, but i expect that it'll be a lot safer to migrate the stuff over to a ntfs partition if you are actually migrating the stuff to windows

The machine runs Windows directly, but hosts two of my largest drives, a 1.5TB and a 4TB, and they're also quite loaded with content, but I suppose I could shrink and gradually migrate them back to NTFS like they originally were a long time ago.

The data is shared to Windows using Samba, so conversion would cut that out. Then I could run Netatalk in a Linux container to host the data to my primary desktop, a Retina 5k iMac.

Currently, those two drives are offline to Windows and attached directly to the Ubuntu VM.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i like to imagine that someone manually typed out each and every option in those boxes

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I once filled out a job form where you had to list your previous employers. In a drop down menu.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

gonadic io posted:

I once filled out a job form where you had to list your previous employers. In a drop down menu.

:psyduck:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah ive seen that before. generally for super poo poo 11 page applications that you cant click back on.

I don't gently caress with those things any more.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

kuroshi posted:

The machine runs Windows directly, but hosts two of my largest drives, a 1.5TB and a 4TB, and they're also quite loaded with content, but I suppose I could shrink and gradually migrate them back to NTFS like they originally were a long time ago.

The data is shared to Windows using Samba, so conversion would cut that out. Then I could run Netatalk in a Linux container to host the data to my primary desktop, a Retina 5k iMac.

Currently, those two drives are offline to Windows and attached directly to the Ubuntu VM.

maybe you need someone more qualified to run your data warehouse?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
its cool im sure your lovingly collected trove of flac encoded john galt speeches has strict data requirements

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
forgot for a second that I was posting in YOSPOS. carry on.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

maybe you need someone more qualified to run your data warehouse?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

kuroshi posted:

why

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
python's lack of labeled break is a gigantic pain in the balls

gently caress u guido "code so complicated to require this feature is very rare" my rear end

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
gently caress pythonic anything too

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
labeled breaks was a feature that I got all :prepop: when I first saw it in perl

and later java, holy poo poo I didn't expect seeing this feature in java of all programming languages

but hey maybe this is a good incentive for pushing your style towards wrapping more stuff into small functions and return from them instead of breaking

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 24, 2016

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I'll bitch about Python just about any chance I can get, but ever since I learned Java had labeled breaks I have searched for an appropriate opportunity to employ them. I've tried for years to come up with a good excuse to use this feature and baffle onlookers, but every time I've tried it turned out to be cleaner to structure the code in some other way- collapse loops, break out a function, etc.

In all seriousness, what's your use case?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
searching and doing business logic/set math on multiple huge sorted lists without just searching through the whole cartesian space

its a big ugly function out of necessity. believe me I wouldn't hesitate to break it down to smaller functions if i could (i have like a billion 3 line functions so it's not like im allergic)

point is: why is a labeled break so taboo?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

its a big ugly function

that's where you're going wrong. you're trying to use python to write ugly code. python is only for beautiful code. take your stinking business logic somewhere else please, we're trying to make art here

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
a labelled break is a glorified goto

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qntm posted:

uhhuh?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

qntm posted:

so is an unlabelled break, or indeed a function call

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
and gotos are bad

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

In all seriousness, what's your use case?

it's an easy way to refactor a nontrivial method with multiple returns and return values into a method with a single return — without doing a complete rewrite that could change its semantics

this is needed before such a method can be inlined inside an another

it's not the nicest refactoring but I don't know any other way to do it

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

tail call optimization is also not Python because you shouldn't be recursing, it's too mathematical

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

AWWNAW posted:

tail call optimization is also not Python because you shouldn't be recursing, it's too mathematical

you can hack it with a decorator and trampolining

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

AWWNAW posted:

also it makes debugging a bit harder which is actually a non-trivial reason

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

AWWNAW posted:

indeed, the pythonic thing is to write explicit loops because it's clearer, but not to nest them because that would be complicated again

basically try not to need to do anything complex, please, we like our problems to be simple round here

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

also it makes debugging a bit harder which is actually a non-trivial reason

excuse, not reason. like simple tail recursion is literally equivalent to a loop with an explicit stack, except for some reason nobody ever complains that your stack trace doesn't show how many times you went round the loop before you ran out of heap space. possibly because it's not a big deal in practice???

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Java code:
// font defined elsewhere
IntStream displayableCodePoints = IntStream.range(minCodePoint, maxCodePoint).filter(codePoint -> font.canDisplay(codePoint));
java 8 feels good, man

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wheany posted:

Java code:

// font defined elsewhere
IntStream displayableCodePoints = IntStream.range(minCodePoint, maxCodePoint).filter(codePoint -> font.canDisplay(codePoint));

java 8 feels good, man

did java just now get arrow functions?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

akadajet posted:

did java just now get arrow functions?

well, 2014. but yes, arrow functions were one of the additions to java 8

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That line could use font::canDisplay, too, instead of the arrow syntax. I'm not sure which version is more clear, though.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

CPColin posted:

That line could use font::canDisplay, too, instead of the arrow syntax. I'm not sure which version is more clear, though.

yours is. also the best decision Java 8 made wrt lambda was opting single method interfaces or whatever into the lambda pattern. so many anonymous classes just get sit replaced by a nice lambda.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CPColin posted:

the arrow function version by far

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

CPColin posted:

i forgot method references existed.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Soricidus posted:

excuse, not reason. like simple tail recursion is literally equivalent to a loop with an explicit stack, except for some reason nobody ever complains that your stack trace doesn't show how many times you went round the loop before you ran out of heap space. possibly because it's not a big deal in practice???

its non trivial not a showstopper, u just gotta be aware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Soricidus posted:

indeed, the pythonic thing is to write explicit loops because it's clearer, but not to nest them because that would be complicated again

basically try not to need to do anything complex, please, we like our problems to be simple round here

stupidest python thing is the restriction to LR grammar in the main lang b/c that's real useful