Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

K I'll order some.

The seat is loving huge and rad. I could ride a long ways with it but I'm used to uncomfortable butt stuff so iunno how other people would like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I'm used to uncomfortable butt stuff.

Go on...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

GriszledMelkaba posted:

First bike I've had with ABS. The whole thing feels like I'm cheating at riding a motorcycle, everything is so effortless. I definitely quickly passed the phase of new purchase "oh god what have I done" feeling real quick with the first wheel loft. I recommend.

Also are axle sliders a worthwhile thing to put on or do they not really protect that much?

They keep you from grinding down your swingarm or scuffing up the bottom part of your forks too badly. You could probably do it the ghetto way and use some threaded rod, nylock nuts, and skateboard wheels if you don't want to spend too much on it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Honestly the 701 is the bike I'd like to have most, more than a SuperDuke even.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

What's the deal with the 701's engine? Is it just a tuned/tweaked 690 out of an SM-C/E etc?

I'd love to pick one up used in a few years when the price goes down, but I've already owned a 1st gen/2007 SM 690 and the only real reason I sold it was cuz I wanted more oomph uphill in the mountains I usually ride in. I figure I'd probably be better off with a Duc Hypermotard.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, it's just the same engine that's been in the other KTM 690s the past few years. They came out (are coming out?) with a new version this year for the Duke/SMC but the 701 got the older one. I think I read somewhere that it got some tweaking to be smoother, but not more power.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Its the 690cc (as opposed to 685 or w/e it was before) engine that the 690 SMC got in europe and the 690 Duke R got in the US. So its newer than the one in your 690 SM and makes a few more ponies but it's an evolution not revolution.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Motorrads dyno shootout between the 654cc and the then new 690cc engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did someone say supaaaaarmotoooooooo

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pn4CoQhT2-4

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Yeah that's illegal? I've reported you.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

Goddamn my wheelies are loving dogshit

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That was beautiful. Also that's not Z3ns YouTube account.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Shimrod posted:

That was beautiful. Also that's not Z3ns YouTube account.

Karma's a bitch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If a supermoto wheelies on a road and no one sees it, is it illegal?

wallaka posted:

Karma's a bitch.

:golfclap:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

wallaka posted:

Karma's a bitch.

:golfclap:

Nice.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

wallaka posted:

Karma's a bitch.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The neutral and oil indicators on the 701sm like to try to escape

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The neutral and oil indicators on the 701sm like to try to escape

Like, toward the sky? Or they have a tendency to fall out?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

In that gif they're both out about an inch from the dash

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

If any of you need to replace tyres any time soon I suggest Dunlop Alpha 13s. I just replaced my tyres and these are insane.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went to the Tri-Cities Kart Club with a handful of other goons last weekend, it was a blast, even though my bike didn't work for poo poo.

They let me borrow a 350XC with a trials tire on the front and a flat track tire on the back, though, so it was all good. It grips better than you'd think.

It was also a drat good showing. I'm bummed I'll miss the first race in the Cascadia SM series.

(Photos are by Gollous, I think. Or he might not be a goon at all)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Why didnt your bike work for poo poo?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hint- You want the bike.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
$16k for a sumo... Someone wake me up when the 701sm is selling for less than what my local KTM dealer is listing for old stock 1290 Super Dukes.

Also, when they are affordable.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Do it!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That's about $5k over MSRP

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Deeters posted:

That's about $5k over MSRP

Maybe thats a $5000 exhaust.

It isnt

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JB50 posted:

Why didnt your bike work for poo poo?

First day: the caliper was pretty gunked up and only one piston was pushing under normal pressure. That pad would heat up and I'd lose brakes on the first pump after 4 or 5 laps. If I squeezed the lever another time I'd get some bite back, but it was straight to the bar on the first pull.

Second day: clean the poo poo out of the caliper and pistons, make sure the spacing is all good then go to start it up and it won't fire. I check it and I'm not getting spark. A resistance and continuity check on the ignition coil was giving me no continuity on the primary coil, but normal resistance on the secondary. It's either a case of Italian electrics, or the BATTERY MAX warning on the bike was something to be taken serious(it popped up because I pulled the lights off :shrug:)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nah isn't my conversation exchange I just think the cost is absurd. Supermotos are way overpriced and that's partly what holds back the popularity. Sure used they're not too expensive but finding anything that doesn't need an oil change every two hours and rebuild every 1.5k miles can be pricey

There's like three aprillias in the group I ride with and I think they're all currently broken

Every post is

"Dude just got my new Aprillia! Check it out"

*three days later*

"Well gently caress my engine blew"

Even new DRZs are stupid expensive. Not bad used by any means. But that amount of cash for a new 400cc with 5 gears and a carb? Lmao

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Buy the Husky you don't need money when you're dead from bad wheelies

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Buy the Husky you don't need money when you're dead from bad wheelies

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
I'm looking to buy this DR-Z that is for sale near me. What has me worried is that it has Rockstar energy drink stickers all over it and it has had engine work done to it already at ~14000km. Seller claims there wasn't anything broken and all the original parts come with. Current mileage is 24000km. Any reason to have engine work done with such low kilometers? Should I be worried about it? Its the only one for sale reasonably close to me and has some nice mods done to it with yoshimura exhaust and fcr39 carburetor.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That depends. What was the engine work? How much is that one selling for? A picture alone isn't great to assess a bike.

Sumos that look like that break my normal "should I run from buying this bike" meter because everyone who owns a sumo mods and thrashes it by the very nature of supermotos.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah and a sticker kit really doesn't mean anything, they are ridiculously popular for supermotos. It's not as much of an indicator s it would be on any other type of bike

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Mursupitsku posted:

I'm looking to buy this DR-Z that is for sale near me. What has me worried is that it has Rockstar energy drink stickers all over it and it has had engine work done to it already at ~14000km. Seller claims there wasn't anything broken and all the original parts come with. Current mileage is 24000km. Any reason to have engine work done with such low kilometers? Should I be worried about it? Its the only one for sale reasonably close to me and has some nice mods done to it with yoshimura exhaust and fcr39 carburetor.

What kind of engine work? BB Kits are p.standard on DRZs, but I'd be wary of one with "only 200mi on the new top end" or something goofy like that. Cam chain tensioners are a thing people usually replace with a manual one, and valves are either a common or mandatory upgrade depending on what flavor of aftermarket cams it might have.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zeti quick turn throttle problems. ('13 drz) Went to pick up my bike after getting some parts installed and the throttle was sticking/binding, not retracting properly. They fussed with it a bit and figured out it was binding because it didn't have the grooves as seen in the pics as compared to the OEM tube. What gives? Every variation of quick turn throttle tube online looks the same (groove-less) and all the reviews said they installed it no problem. Just ended up leaving my bike and they're going to order it

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Throttle cam looks too wide.

I wouldn't buy any drz with work done, who knows how well it was done. You want power, buy a 690 SMC. You want something cheerful and unintimidating? Buy a drz. You want something a bit better than a drz but not as crazy as a 690? 610/630/690 SM.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Throttle cam looks too wide.

I wouldn't buy any drz with work done, who knows how well it was done. You want power, buy a 690 SMC. You want something cheerful and unintimidating? Buy a drz. You want something a bit better than a drz but not as crazy as a 690? 610/630/690 SM.

This. the po of my pile bought it with a "fresh big bore kit". it blew up in short order because the po of the po forgot what a gudgeon pin retainer is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Can you really forget something you don't know?

Edit: ...supermoto?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDqs0bQ6Ew

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread