Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Honestly I expected that stations would not even have scanners, since their weight seems to be related to the size of the ship. A station-grade scanner has to be, what, 10^6 tons or so, and the the size of an asteroid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Is all of this stuff going to be a paid update, or patched in?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This all sounds like standard QoL stuff, but the engineers will be on planets, so you'll need Horizons to get to them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just the engineer things are related to Horizons. The ui overhaul, mission overhaul, balance changes to missiles, extra large and huge weapons, ice field mining, etc are all coming to stand alone too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

Is there literally any way to get the black friday paint job if you missed it by a short time?

Can you even buy it?

Next best thing is to buy the tactical paint job for your chosen ship, if it is available on that hull anyway.

IMO tactical graphite actually looks better but the black friday could be applied to any ship instead of being purchased on a ship by ship basis.

I'm looking forward to reconfiguring my iClipper with 2 medium beams and 2 large multicannons.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
You know you're bored when you plot out an exploration route roughly based on Battlestar Galactica.Turns out someone had put together the numbers. Given the producers of the show actually hired someone who was versed in mapping out things in space I was curious to how this plotted out in Elite (with a bit of imagination).

Nerdy observations:
The Lagoon and the Orion nebula are the only two things that exist in Elite and BSG.
The Helios system (where Caprica is) does exist in Elite However it's right in the bubble and nowhere out where it is in BSG.

The whole trip from the Twelve Colonies (presumably somewhere in the Peresus arm) to Sol is around 4500LY. The fleet on average does jumps of 5LY however it's implied 30LY calculations are possible but was only ever done within a known area.

Of course Elite's jump systems are all together far faster than Battlestar's with calculations taking seconds (vs 12 hours) and cooldowns being minutes at worst.
So the four or so years in BSG takes merely a few hours in Elite. For instance the trip from Caprica to Kobol took BSG around 50 days to cover roughly 1000LY.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WebDog posted:

You know you're bored when you plot out an exploration route roughly based on Battlestar Galactica.Turns out someone had put together the numbers. Given the producers of the show actually hired someone who was versed in mapping out things in space I was curious to how this plotted out in Elite (with a bit of imagination).

Nerdy observations:
The Lagoon and the Orion nebula are the only two things that exist in Elite and BSG.
The Helios system (where Caprica is) does exist in Elite However it's right in the bubble and nowhere out where it is in BSG.

The whole trip from the Twelve Colonies (presumably somewhere in the Peresus arm) to Sol is around 4500LY. The fleet on average does jumps of 5LY however it's implied 30LY calculations are possible but was only ever done within a known area.

Of course Elite's jump systems are all together far faster than Battlestar's with calculations taking seconds (vs 12 hours) and cooldowns being minutes at worst.
So the four or so years in BSG takes merely a few hours in Elite. For instance the trip from Caprica to Kobol took BSG around 50 days to cover roughly 1000LY.

This is cool.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

froody guy posted:

Uhm.... the game? :v:

Oh yeah, I forgot I paid for that too ^_^

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Battlestar Galactica would have been ganked on arrival to the bubble anyway.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

When is this latest update going to be rolling out? Do we even know yet?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gonkish posted:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/theengineersbetadate

quote:

I am delighted to announce The Engineers (Elite Dangerous 2.1) will be available to players with beta access in the week ending 8th May.
1.6 might be coming at the same time...?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Gonkish posted:

They've had p. longish beta periods in the past because they sell those beta keys for serious money, so I'd assume 14th or 20th of May

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
In their financial update they were talking about June I think, but that'd be a long rear end beta so maybe they've moved it up.
Kind of suspect their delay was at least in part so that they could get Rift support properly sorted by launch date (lol).

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Plek posted:

Honestly I expected that stations would not even have scanners, since their weight seems to be related to the size of the ship. A station-grade scanner has to be, what, 10^6 tons or so, and the the size of an asteroid?

never been scanned by a station. What prompted this post?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

nippythefish posted:

The mention of the upcoming traffic control comms taking notice when you disappear from their scanners, like if you went silent running.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Natsuumi posted:

The mention of the upcoming traffic control comms taking notice when you disappear from their scanners, like if you went silent running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcArnepkhv0

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

I've been away for a while, idly wondering if we'll ever get big multi cannons and even suggesting to a couple of buddies that instead of a standard minigun style, why not something like an auto-cannon like on an Apache or similar.

poo poo yes. :getin:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

nippythefish posted:

Yeah it was in response to the comms chatter bit. I was just feeling particularly annoyed about ship system weights after looking at a python in coriolis.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just wish that going silent would actually keep you from getting scanned by the NPCs patrolling stations. :colbert:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Tippis posted:

I just wish that going silent would actually keep you from getting scanned by the NPCs patrolling stations. :colbert:

NPCs have special radars that can track silent ships and can also scan ships that use their chaff. We don't get those luxuries being filthy CMDRs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey, so I'm wanting to pick this up again.

I've always been a bounty hunter, but I want to give trading a go. I've got a Vulture and probably somewhere in the vincinity of 8 million or so.

How should I start trading and is there a beginner's guide somewhere? Cheers!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I am hoping there is a LOT of chatter though, instead of the same handful of phrases we already hear from the station announcers. I want to hear the guys in the control tower spit out whatever passes for space coffee and start yelling into the mic when I slam my ship into a tower or something after forgetting how to land again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

H13 posted:

Hey, so I'm wanting to pick this up again.

I've always been a bounty hunter, but I want to give trading a go. I've got a Vulture and probably somewhere in the vincinity of 8 million or so.

How should I start trading and is there a beginner's guide somewhere? Cheers!

It kind of depends on how “properly” you want to do it and how open you are to the various cheesy shortcuts available to you.

The basics are as basic as you'd imagine: buy low, sell high. Use the map to find export routes and follow those. For a bit less trial-and-error fumbling in the dark, use something like eddb.io to find multi-step or direct back-and-forth trading routes. The key here is volume, volume, volume — and the more direct (and quick) the route, the better. For this, any of the big haulers is the best bet.

The next step up is to do rares trading. There are a couple of established circuits to follow (see OP+1 for a map), but some of that is a bit old as certain items have been removed and the legality of others have changed in Power Play. For this, volume still helps, but there's a strict upper limit to how much you'll carry at one point since only so many items are spawned for you. Rather, the key here is distance — the farther you travel from the point of purchase, the more valuable the rares get. The circuits are designed with this in mind: two legs in opposite directions with a big gap at the end of each to ensure that you get that much-needed distance. So here, you want a balance between space and jump range, probably with a bias towards the latter. Almost any multi-role will do as long as they don't have a tiny FSD slot.

And for the ultimate cheese, there's Robigo — taking smuggling missions from the rim. Here, speed is key, both regular and interstellar, since you're going to travel 300+ Ly before hastily trying to dock and not get scanned in the process. You'll often find missions that only require you to carry 1–3 tonnes of goods for something on the order of 1,000,000Cr/ton in rewards, so lots of cargo space is pretty much optional — indeed, more cargo just means you have to take more jumps, which means more interceptions, which means slower earnings. For this, you pretty much want an exploration ship, but with some coincidental cargo space. But all of that is assuming you actually do the missions. There's always the cheese++ variant, where you deliberately fail the mission just to get your hands on valuable cargo, and then turn right around and sell that for a profit.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Holy Braben I've been away few months and it takes a while to learn the ropes again. Most of all what is the Keelback? Better than the ASP for trading?

I also realized I'm not that space rich afterall. Which is the best way to invest 20M and grind some serious cash back possibly helping fellow goons doing that (no powerplay bullshit please)? I was thinking about going nuts with the Lakon 7 and back to business with those good ole fish and tobacco runs but.... not sure about the fun factor :ohdear:

And, which is the station/system with all the facy modules to pimp my ride? Not much in Skvortsov

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

froody guy posted:

Which is the best way to invest 20M and grind some serious cash back possibly helping fellow goons doing that (no powerplay bullshit please)? I was thinking about going nuts with the Lakon 7 and back to business with those good ole fish and tobacco runs but.... not sure about the fun factor :ohdear:

Tippis posted:

And for the ultimate cheese, there's Robigo — taking smuggling missions from the rim. Here, speed is key, both regular and interstellar, since you're going to travel 300+ Ly before hastily trying to dock and not get scanned in the process. You'll often find missions that only require you to carry 1–3 tonnes of goods for something on the order of 1,000,000Cr/ton in rewards, so lots of cargo space is pretty much optional — indeed, more cargo just means you have to take more jumps, which means more interceptions, which means slower earnings. For this, you pretty much want an exploration ship, but with some coincidental cargo space. But all of that is assuming you actually do the missions. There's always the cheese++ variant, where you deliberately fail the mission just to get your hands on valuable cargo, and then turn right around and sell that for a profit.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

froody guy posted:

Most of all what is the Keelback? Better than the ASP for trading?

Keelback's just an up-gunned Type-6. It has a fighter bay, so when those are implemented it'll be a bit more unique, but right now it's just a Type-6 that also has medium hardpoints, a bigger powerplant, and carries slightly less cargo.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

He specifically said he wanted some fun factor, don't tell him to do Robigo Shuffle

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

DreadLama posted:

I've read it but I'm too old for that, my heart pressure could dangerously spike if cops kill me (again) because I accidentally push the boost button instead of the silent running one while trying to quickly approach the letterbox without being noticed :ninja:

YellerBill posted:

Keelback's just an up-gunned Type-6. It has a fighter bay, so when those are implemented it'll be a bit more unique, but right now it's just a Type-6 that also has medium hardpoints, a bigger powerplant, and carries slightly less cargo.
Ah cool that's pretty useless then. I pretended I knew what fighter were (never heard before) so you answered that one too.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Another thing I noticed is that the type of the economy (agriculture, extraction, high-tech....) is not listed anymore in the commodities market nor in the system overview. Any reason for that or it just happened?

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

froody guy posted:

Holy Braben I've been away few months and it takes a while to learn the ropes again. Most of all what is the Keelback? Better than the ASP for trading?

I also realized I'm not that space rich afterall. Which is the best way to invest 20M and grind some serious cash back possibly helping fellow goons doing that (no powerplay bullshit please)? I was thinking about going nuts with the Lakon 7 and back to business with those good ole fish and tobacco runs but.... not sure about the fun factor :ohdear:

And, which is the station/system with all the facy modules to pimp my ride? Not much in Skvortsov

The Keelback is awful...it's a Type 6 that's been fitted for a bit more firepower at the cost of a shitload of cargo space.

You can fit a perfectly serviceable Asp Explorer with 20 mil and do some shadow deliveries from Robigo.

If you're on Inara, there's an awesome tool for finding anything you want (definitely search for the closest system with a discount, which is almost always worth the extra jumps).

e: I guess I waited a bit too long to answer

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

nippythefish posted:

If you're on Inara, there's an awesome tool for finding anything you want (definitely search for the closest system with a discount, which is almost always worth the extra jumps).
I found out about Inara just yesterday from the Diamond Frogs thread and man that site has all the awesome in one place (except I still don't know how to use it)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
eddb.io is awesome. Best way to use it is to go into the Stations page of the site, choose the type of thing you want to buy, enter the system you are currently in, then choose a Li Yong-Rui controlled system. Get your 15% discount for shopping at Yong-Mart! The only exception to shopping at Yong-Mart is if you're buying outside of Yong-Mart to get a cheap hauler with an A class FSD to get to a Yong-Mart to do your shopping.

Eddb for the modules uses the same module names as coriolis.io

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

froody guy posted:

Another thing I noticed is that the type of the economy (agriculture, extraction, high-tech....) is not listed anymore in the commodities market nor in the system overview. Any reason for that or it just happened?

It's listed in info tab on the star map. Also, if you're in "Map" view mode, it's listed in the popup for the selected system, and of course, you can colour-filter it by type of economy in the same view. In the system map, it's listed in the info tab for the currently highlighted station.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Keelback is utterly irrelevant when you look at the Asp Explorer.

Speaking of which, I just bought an Asp Explorer for trading. Decent Cargo so I can make some money and some weapons so I can get out of trouble if I end up in some.

The Commodity GUI is still...well awful. How do I tell which commodities are a cheap price and how do I figure out where to sell them for profit?

Also: Does smuggling only happen via the bulletin board? Or are there cooler ways to do it?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

H13 posted:

How do I tell which commodities are a cheap price and how do I figure out where to sell them for profit?

Third party websites and advice from Diamond Frogs. Trading using the internal stats is pointless, Frontier exports the trade data to the websites via some neato hooks, so you can just find the most profitable trade routes via http://eddb.io/

Smuggling only happens via the bulletin board? Err yes kinda, depends on what you mean by smuggling

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

froody guy posted:

I found out about Inara just yesterday from the Diamond Frogs thread and man that site has all the awesome in one place (except I still don't know how to use it)

Click on the "outfitting" subtab. Enter the item you're looking for, the system you're in, and check the "Just discounted" box.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The "best" way to smuggle is through bulliten board missions.

It's possible to fly around looking for random junk and then flying it to a station with a black market to sell but it takes a long time and you won't make much money doing it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

The "best" way to smuggle is through bulliten board missions.

It's possible to fly around looking for random junk and then flying it to a station with a black market to sell but it takes a long time and you won't make much money doing it.

Well, except for that alien stuff. That sells for enough you can make millions simply by finding a barnacle and farming it. (Just make sure to occasionally send your ship away, call it back and land again next to the barnacle. Extensive relogging can lead to weird behaviour like your ship slowly sinking into the surface until you can't exit or enter anymore.)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right...

So how do you make a boatload of cash with trading? I did a few runs that I found using one of the websites mentioned above and in my Asp I was making about 40k per run. Considering I could go res hunting and get about 100k per ship, this seems a bit weak. I thought trading was the quickest way to make money in the game?

I'm still having fun doing something different other than flying around asteroid fields and shooting the same ships over and over again, but I'd like to make some decent cash as well. Is trading something that only becomes really worthwhile when you have massive holds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

Right...

So how do you make a boatload of cash with trading? I did a few runs that I found using one of the websites mentioned above and in my Asp I was making about 40k per run. Considering I could go res hunting and get about 100k per ship, this seems a bit weak. I thought trading was the quickest way to make money in the game?

I'm still having fun doing something different other than flying around asteroid fields and shooting the same ships over and over again, but I'd like to make some decent cash as well. Is trading something that only becomes really worthwhile when you have massive holds?

So there's this thing, this system, called Robigo. It's grindy and poopsocky as gently caress but it's a money printing service.

Go there in an Asp fitted for long haul (it's a 390ly+ trip as the station sits outside of the bubble) with at least 50 tons of cargo space.

Take the shadow smuggler missions that only require you to move like 3-10 pieces of cargo. Stack 1-3 of them (any more and you'll regret it later).

The catch is you have to make it to the mission drop-off locations without being scanned and for every mission you take there will be a corresponding NPC or Cop that stalks you all the way back. Be careful/wary while fuel scooping and if you can't boost away post-interdiction then log out and log back in before the scan completes.

7-10 million credits per run. Average run time, leaving the bubble, getting the missions and hitting all drop-offs, 90-120 minutes.

e: player scans count as scans too. Do it in solo/private group if you don't want to potentially lose all missions as soon as you undock from the outpost in Robigo.

• Locked thread