Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess it's just European Youtube commenters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mu Zeta posted:

Youtube commenters

Never read the comments.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I also base my ideas about whole continents on youtube comments.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rumda posted:

That is a thing though, you can tell it even with water it's slightly different drinking it out of a big chunky worry-more-about-the-floor-than-the-glass glass than a wine glass.
I'm pretty sure you're deluding yourself.

KozmoNaut posted:

Not an electric kettle or stovetop kettle for boiling water, I'm talking about old-fashioned tea pots* for brewing loose leaf tea directly in. There are all kinds of superstitions about washing those out, apparently the limescale and tea remnants left on the sides add to the flavor or something.

* I should have written "pots" instead of "kettles".
Oh, teapots, yeah. Those are not kettles. I'm not convinced it makes any noticeable difference to not wash them, and obviously you have to if you leave wet leaves in there and they go mouldy or whatever, but most of the time there's no reason to bother washing a teapot.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I once had a co-worker try to claim to me that in India they don't put milk in chai.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mad Hamish posted:

I once had a co-worker try to claim to me that in India they don't put milk in chai.

Of course not. They put chai in milk. :v:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Not sure it counts as a 'trend' if it's something people have been doing for upwards of a thousand years. I'm sure it doesn't stop people being dicks about it of course.

edit: the not cleaning out teapots thing

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm talking about old-fashioned tea pots* for brewing loose leaf tea directly in. There are all kinds of superstitions about washing those out, apparently the limescale and tea remnants left on the sides add to the flavor or something.

* I should have written "pots" instead of "kettles".

This is something specific only to certain kinds of unglazed clay pots (yixing, mostly), because the clay is still porous and it absorbs some of the flavour of the tea. Ideally you should only use them for one kind of leaf, too.
If it's just an ordinary glazed china pot though, then yeah, there's no reason not to wash it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure you're deluding yourself.

Oh, teapots, yeah. Those are not kettles. I'm not convinced it makes any noticeable difference to not wash them, and obviously you have to if you leave wet leaves in there and they go mouldy or whatever, but most of the time there's no reason to bother washing a teapot.

The mold add flavor. It's to die for.

Also my greatest tea sin is I don't have a proper tea pot. I use several pryrex cups and watch glasses.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mad Hamish posted:

Even if they don't, who cares?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The_White_Crane posted:

This is something specific only to certain kinds of unglazed clay pots (yixing, mostly), because the clay is still porous and it absorbs some of the flavour of the tea. Ideally you should only use them for one kind of leaf, too.
If it's just an ordinary glazed china pot though, then yeah, there's no reason not to wash it.

That makes sense, kinda like cast iron and carbon steel pans that suck major rear end until you build up a layer of seasoning on them.

Of course, that's a whole area of spergdom unto itself :)

I still can't get over the ridiculous hipster wank that is modern pour-over coffee, what with all the obsession over pouring patterns and weights and precise timing and poo poo. They're just doing what people did before they had automatic drip machines, but they act like it's all mystical and bringing them closer to the bean or what the gently caress I don't even know.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Saturday night I went out to a place that served their drinks in mason jars, and all their food was on wooden boards. Thought of you guys :h:

While looking for photos on zomato I found this which is apparently attributed to them.

Which is a really poorly executed presentation. Single scotch egg in a cheap bowl? Works for them I guess.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Is that part of a number underneath the scotch egg bowl? Are front doors as tables a thing now?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

While looking for photos on zomato I found this which is apparently attributed to them.

Which is a really poorly executed presentation. Single scotch egg in a cheap bowl? Works for them I guess.

My mom had those kind of bowls when I was little... they fell apart so fast :( I remember eating mac and cheese in them....

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If I remember right, steam would loosen the glue on those bowls (and similar bamboo spoons), which means that they'd completely fall apart in no time if sanitized

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Disco Salmon posted:

My mom had those kind of bowls when I was little... they fell apart so fast :( I remember eating mac and cheese in them....

Yeah we had them too, we used them for salads. I assume they must be cheap because we were poor as hell.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

bringmyfishback posted:

I have had ten million cups of the tea in the Middle East and 80% of the time, it's been Lipton's Yellow Label, with mint and sugar. Maybe it's a UAE thing, I dunno. Hope that helps a bit!

On topic, that retarded series about Marcel from Top Chef made me angry. Molecular gastronomy is cool, but stupid (and that dude is a tool.)

Food service secret: that tea you get at every single Chinese place that tastes the same no matter what place you drink it? Taj Mahal Orange Pekoe.

When I was briefly in HK a lot of the tea was lipton or British brands like PG, because colonialism.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah we had them too, we used them for salads. I assume they must be cheap because we were poor as hell.

Same here we had those bowls for YEARS though and they trucked on for ages - I assume you are Americans but these were/are available in Australia and there was a big salad serving bowl one we used for fruit/salads

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

If I remember right, steam would loosen the glue on those bowls (and similar bamboo spoons), which means that they'd completely fall apart in no time if sanitized

You could use a quat. Much more expensive and difficult than just having a hot-cycle on the washer though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mad Hamish posted:

In Bangladesh they don't use regular milk but instead use a big glob of sweetened condensed milk and at least 3 spoons of sugar.

Can't decide on what tea to drink? Try 7 layered tea! The guy is working on a 10 layer version too. Each layer is a different flavor and he uses different types of black and green teas grown nearby.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

Saturday night I went out to a place that served their drinks in mason jars, and all their food was on wooden boards. Thought of you guys :h:

Weird presentation, but that slaw and what I assume are fried pickles? :love:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

When the gently caress did people not want plates? This trend is dumb as gently caress

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's fish and chips. Wooden boards are an upgrade over the standard newspaper wrapping.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Food service secret: that tea you get at every single Chinese place that tastes the same no matter what place you drink it? Taj Mahal Orange Pekoe.
What sort of weird Chinese restaurant serves black tea instead of green?

Mu Zeta posted:

It's fish and chips. Wooden boards are an upgrade over the standard newspaper wrapping.
I wish fish and chip shops still just wrapped food in paper. These days they all seem to use boxes, so the more other stuff you order, the less chips you get.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

That is a lamentable portion of fish and chips. Look at those chips. The shame would overpower the vinegar.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

de la peche posted:

PYF Stupid Food Trend: Look at those chips. The shame would overpower the vinegar.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

More like worst fish & chips.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tiggum posted:

What sort of weird Chinese restaurant serves black tea instead of green?

Most Chinese places in America (and most of the world actually) serve black tea because for a long time good Green Tea was very hard to find in the west due to the fact that it doesn't keep well at all. I know your lovely gimmick is being shocked that things are different than in your tiny part of Australia but it's true, Chinese people do serve black tea in large amounts of the world.

Also it's not that rare in actual China, and in Hong Kong (at least among the locals I was with) black tea was much more common than green or white tea but that's probably the British influence. The Brits drink black tea for the same reason people from the middle east do, for a long time the Tea trade was centered in China and Green Tea doesn't keep long enough to travel by caravan or sailing ship to Britain or the Middle East.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I know your lovely gimmick is being shocked that things are different than in your tiny part of Australia

Hey. He is also really bad at video games.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have never seen green tea served in Chinese restaurants. Only Japanese places.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Most Chinese places I've been to serve either jasmine or oolong tea.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Tiggum posted:

I wish fish and chip shops still just wrapped food in paper. These days they all seem to use boxes, so the more other stuff you order, the less chips you get.

That's because you're Australian, Tiggum. We still do good fish and chips in the UK. Well, at least in the North we do.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey, I live in Australia and I still get fish and chips in a paper wrapper. :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Can't decide on what tea to drink? Try 7 layered tea! The guy is working on a 10 layer version too. Each layer is a different flavor and he uses different types of black and green teas grown nearby.

What about layered kale smoothies?

Also I guess I lead my life in jars now:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

AlphaKretin posted:

Hey, I live in Australia and I still get fish and chips in a paper wrapper. :colbert:

But do you get those anaemic looking abominations? Or do you get proper chunky chip-shop chips?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Roro posted:

But do you get those anaemic looking abominations? Or do you get proper chunky chip-shop chips?

Depends where I buy 'em. :v:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Instant Jellyfish posted:

In Bangladesh they don't use regular milk but instead use a big glob of sweetened condensed milk and at least 3 spoons of sugar.

Unlike almost everything else in this thread, I want to try this. It's beautiful.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Most Chinese places in America (and most of the world actually) serve black tea because for a long time good Green Tea was very hard to find in the west due to the fact that it doesn't keep well at all. I know your lovely gimmick is being shocked that things are different than in your tiny part of Australia but it's true, Chinese people do serve black tea in large amounts of the world.

Also it's not that rare in actual China, and in Hong Kong (at least among the locals I was with) black tea was much more common than green or white tea but that's probably the British influence. The Brits drink black tea for the same reason people from the middle east do, for a long time the Tea trade was centered in China and Green Tea doesn't keep long enough to travel by caravan or sailing ship to Britain or the Middle East.

Most of the places I've been to in NYC served black tea, but they had a selection or you could bring your own. When I went to Guangdong we drank mostly pu-erh. Many restaurants had gongfu tea sets available, but you could bring your own tea so that probably isn't very representative. In Hong Kong, hot tea served in restaurants was pretty varied, in my experience. The milk tea made with black tea was great and I would drink it cold for breakfast everyday if I could get it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fools Infinite posted:

Most of the places I've been to in NYC served black tea, but they had a selection or you could bring your own. When I went to Guangdong we drank mostly pu-erh. Many restaurants had gongfu tea sets available, but you could bring your own tea so that probably isn't very representative. In Hong Kong, hot tea served in restaurants was pretty varied, in my experience. The milk tea made with black tea was great and I would drink it cold for breakfast everyday if I could get it.

My favorite Chinese place in NYC serves oolong. It comes out so hot that I have to wait until the meal's almost over to drink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

chitoryu12 posted:

My favorite Chinese place in NYC serves oolong. It comes out so hot that I have to wait until the meal's almost over to drink it.

They don't give you those little ceramic cups for the tea?

• Locked thread