Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
guys you can stop being so negative because Batman "v" Superman is the #3 DC movie of all time! It beat out:

4. The rear end Pile, Man of Steel
5. A Batman movie released 27 years ago
6. A Batman movie released 11 years ago
7. A Superman movie released 10 years ago which was so bad they rebooted the franchise to release The rear end Pile, Man of Steel, which made a whopping 25% more, to substantially poorer reviews
8. A Batman movie released 21 years ago
9. Dumb Gay Batman 1
10. A Superman movie released 38 years ago
11. Deadpool punchline feat. Ryan Reynolds
12. A Superman movie released 35 years ago
13. Zack Snyder Rapes: Watchmen
14. Dumb Gay Batman 2
15. sssh bruce willis is napping :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tezzor posted:

guys you can stop being so negative because Batman "v" Superman is the #3 DC movie of all time! It beat out:

4. The rear end Pile, Man of Steel
5. A Batman movie released 27 years ago
6. A Batman movie released 11 years ago
7. A Superman movie released 10 years ago which was so bad they rebooted the franchise to release The rear end Pile, Man of Steel, which made a whopping 25% more, to substantially poorer reviews
8. A Batman movie released 21 years ago
9. Dumb Gay Batman 1
10. A Superman movie released 38 years ago
11. Deadpool punchline feat. Ryan Reynolds
12. A Superman movie released 35 years ago
14. Dumb Gay Batman 2
15. sssh bruce willis is napping :kiddo:

I'm putting a blanket over Bruce because I don't want him to get cold :)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Have the live-action versions of Batman become somewhat 'less' over the years?

Adam West Batman sort of did the least amount of stuff, but at the same time seems like the version that is most justice seeking, most intelligent, most deductive, and most skillful fighter* (*We don't really get to see it, but let's just assume.) by the nature of the universe he lives in.

Batman in the Burton/Shumacher eras seem to follow suit a bit. As the series goes on, he becomes less and less a detective and solver of crimes.

Nolan Batman, on the other hand, seems to remove a lot of this. Batman/Bruce isn't a genius, he needs Lucius to invent and get stuff for him. He's not into the mind of the criminal set despite his own experiences in the underworld as he needs Alfred to find him mercenaries and help set up production, he's not building his gear in house as much as he's outsourcing to China to make parts, a sort of poo poo detective.

Then in BvS: Bruce gets caught sneaking around, he gets his secrets found out, it takes him apparently a long time to figure out a search that a boat is called White Portuguese, he's duped by Luthor, he's hopeless ineffectual against Superman entirely until the final act, not very stealthy except when hiding on walls. On the upside, they've seemingly made him pretty smart enough to build killing weapons in his basement.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

Then in BvS: Bruce gets caught sneaking around, he gets his secrets found out, it takes him apparently a long time to figure out a search that a boat is called White Portuguese, he's duped by Luthor, he's hopeless ineffectual against Superman entirely until the final act, not very stealthy except when hiding on walls. On the upside, they've seemingly made him pretty smart enough to build killing weapons in his basement.

Reminder that Kevin Smith and CineD said this was the smartest and most detective-y Batman ever because he plugged a USB drive into a computer which is what Lex wanted him to do.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Batman would never plug an untrusted usb device into a computer that wasn't airgapped! He studied IT security under Ra's al Goon

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The next iteration of Batman on film will be Bruce hiring an army of teenagers to be Batman for him because he's too lazy to actually get vengeance on his own. He did his weekend tour of duty as Batman and he's retired at 24 from it. But Gotham needs a Batman and his parents need avenged, so time to throw another kid out there in a costume to fight lunatics at night.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Reminder that Kevin Smith and CineD said this was the smartest and most detective-y Batman ever because he plugged a USB drive into a computer which is what Lex wanted him to do.

lol, did he find it in the parking lot labeled 'lex's passwords'?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For a evil supergenius Lex had pretty bad IT physical security.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

:chloe:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Can you imagine being so invested in a lovely movie you have to waste time sabotaging rival movies?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

that is a lot of butthurt fanboys

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

To be fair, Batman by himself was the most tolerable thing in the movie by a mile, even if you HATED the movie that's pretty obvious

It's real hard to gently caress up Batman. It takes bat nipples to do that.

Tezzor posted:

To be fair that's one of Zack Snyder's two watchable movies.

Also I think people are landing too hard on Zack Snyder. He clearly has no idea what the gently caress is going on, and DC has a mandate list that is rear end backwards, insane, and out of touch ("Let's start with the avengers and build backwards to solo movies! Genius!") but frankly the dude was hired to do a job.

And he kind of did it well. Notice people aren't in here bitching the action sucked, or the movie looked ugly? It didn't. It looked good, the action was actually one of the few redeeming things. It's just that everything holding that stuff together was an absolute clusterfuck.

In other words if I could search+replace Zack Snyder hate with David S Goyer hate, I'd totally do it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 23, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zack snyder said they went through 100s of superman costumes and that the red shorts wouldn't work. it's worked for like a hundred years dude. i think he's just as to blame for it being poo poo as goyer or the execs.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also I think people are landing too hard on Zack Snyder. He clearly has no idea what the gently caress is going on, and DC has a mandate list that is rear end backwards, insane, and out of touch ("Let's start with the avengers and build backwards to solo movies! Genius!") but frankly the dude was hired to do a job.

And he kind of did it well. Notice people aren't in here bitching the action sucked, or the movie looked ugly? It didn't. It looked good, the action was actually one of the few redeeming things. It's just that everything holding that stuff together was an absolute clusterfuck.

Actually, people have been saying that this film and Man Of Steel looks dour and drab, with the heroic scenes of Superman rescuing people looking like it's shot like a horror film. The cinematography might look competently done, but the ultimate result is still unfitting. It's like getting Roger Deakins to film your birthday party, but it now looks like Sicario, all bleached out and overlit by natural lighting, it's not going to be a memorable event.

Blazing Ownager posted:

In other words if I could search+replace Zack Snyder hate with David S Goyer hate, I'd totally do it.

Nah, I'm firmly putting blame on both. More on Snyder because he ultimately interpreted what Goyer wrote and, I believe, had editorial control so poo poo that could have explained plot elements got edited out, but I'm sure that blatant stuff like the jar of piss was Goyer trying to be clever. And you know Goyer wanted to return to that Joker well from The Dark Knight, so he took that leftover material and used it for Lex.

Groovelord Neato posted:

zack snyder said they went through 100s of superman costumes and that the red shorts wouldn't work. it's worked for like a hundred years dude. i think he's just as to blame for it being poo poo as goyer or the execs.

And you know what? It's realistic, too. How else is Superman going to use the bathroom? The suit has a hole or maybe some sort of fastener that's covered up by the shorts. He just drops the shorts, does his business, wipes, then up they go and up, up, and away.

(Seriously, I've thought way too much about this recently, but it's been more about catsuits as the costume for the action woman and the limits of the practicality, so why Superman wears trunks over his suit is somewhat related).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

in the 30's it was a visual shorthand cribbed from circus strongmen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he said that like it was a bad thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Superman should be naked, like that smurf from watchmen

Gods dont care about your puny clothes

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Superman should be naked, like that smurf from watchmen

Gods dont care about your puny clothes

Viewers willing to look harder will be rewarded by the additional thematic complexity and character depth conveyed by superman's frequent erections during emotionally incongruent and inappropriate moments.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
some loving hardcore nerds itt dedicated to the cause you brave bastards

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I never really followed comics but superman and batman were in the same city? If so why didn't they bump into each other in their solo movies?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Homo posted:

I never really followed comics but superman and batman were in the same city?

they actually aren't.

but this is not the movies only flaw, please dig deeper

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Is the topic title still correct after 70+ pages?

I'm not sure if this is bad or not, can someone help me out?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

Is the topic title still correct after 70+ pages?

I'm not sure if this is bad or not, can someone help me out?

It was directed by Zack Snyder, so yes

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It was directed by Zack Snyder, so yes

Thanks, friend

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

Notice people aren't in here bitching the action sucked, or the movie looked ugly?

They're not?

Well let me remedy. As has been said before, Zack Snyder is probably an amazing photographer. He LOVES recreating still panels from the comics (usually achieved with slow mo), but it doesn't work for the movie.

Example: the hurricane scene. Superman in a billowing cape in front of a broken sky with sunlight streaming behind him looks good as a photo. But in the movie it comes across as people dying in a flood begging for help and this alien dickhead is floating over them like "lol I bet you wish you could do this lmao". Snyder is incompetently sacrificing action or at least a comprehensive scene to basically work a photograph into the movie.

The flipside of that is the actual action which absolutely, irredeemably looks like poo poo. The Batmobile chase is a completely pointless scene because Batman steals the Kryptonite in a better scene OFF CAMERA.

The title fight is a 30 second mess of dust effects ending with a Looney Tunes scene where Batman spins Superman around on a rope. It looked cheesy as gently caress and really needed some calliope music to punctuate how pants-shittingly stupid it is.

Then Superman punches a poorly animated cave troll until it gets nuked in a generic explosion while Roland Emmerich guest directs the scenes that cut away to military personnel talking into headsets in front of consoles describing what just happened which is the worst loving cliche in film.

THEN the bad cartoon cave troll becomes more CGI and Batman turns to rubber to zip away from the cheesy electrical storm as the movie goes into full Star Wars prequels green screen and a rubber Wonder Woman lunges at the cartoon cave troll in a big cgi crater and at this point you couldn't possibly care about this poo poo story or these poo poo characters, but now to add insult to injury you realize you're watching lovely prequels George Lucas green screen action because Snyder is too much of a hack to pull off Michael loving Bay action and at least have real explosions and a real set for the cartoon fight.

But Batman murdering those henchmen because Superman doesn't realize he's Superman and can save his own mom was cool (if you've literally never heard of John Wu, Yuen Woo Ping, Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, or Iko Uwais).

Overall 1/10. It proudly stands next to the pantheon of great DC CGI action scenes like the finale of Green Lantern and the 100% CGI Halle Berry Catwoman fight.

Then I have to dock it that point because for like $900 and an afternoon of shooting the Netflix show Daredevil had a fight scene (stolen almost whole cloth from Oldboy) that managed to have far more impact and excitement in it than a half billion dollar BvS movie.

And Aquaman holding his breath and poking the camera was probably the most poorly filmed professional movie scene since Cannon Films went under. What a loving embarrassment.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
some of the film analysis posts on sa are not bad. Maybe you should apply that to serious films and not movies which are by their very concept dumb hollywood gunk

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The jar of piss could have been a clever little joke if what's-her-face had noticed it right before the bomb went off and had started to get up or warn the room that something might be up or whatever. At the very least a man that should be in attendance left her a jar of piss and there are bailiffs about. I'm sure leaving an open container of medical waste laying around with the intention of making a threat/maybe causing someone to accidentally consume it would at least get you detained for a few minutes. I have no idea why she just stared in horror at it for what felt like ten miserable minutes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like to imagine Snyder spent like a whole day filming and refilming until midnight and trying to get the senator to really dig deep and get the true emotion thst scene needed of looking at a jar of piss and the other parts of the movie where the editors and actors had ideas and questions on how to make the movie good he was like whatever and put in some headphones and smoked weed

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

many johnnys posted:

haha

I always maintained that superman killing big badguys isn't a big deal.

Batman's nemeses are mostly mortal crazy people, so yeah, catch them, capture them, hand them over to the cops and let society deal with them. It's not his job to decide life or death, that's up to us. But you ain't gonna cuff doomsday and toss him into a jail cell.

I've always had the impression that modern Batman was just a giant straw man argument in favor of capital punishment and a police brutality. The people of Gotham would be a thousand times safer if they had a militarized police force that gave summary executions to any nutjob they captured in a costume.

Really all of the comic book universes are hosed up in a really unsettling way. The heroes keep harping on the importance of justice, but the actual systems of justice are 100% nonfunctional. Mass murderers escape on a yearly basis so our heroes have someone to heroically punch to save the helpless masses. How could anyone even pretend our traditional systems of justice and democracy are adequate in a world of shapeshifters, mind controlling devices and world threatening alien invasions? Why does anyone even go to work in these settings? You'd think in that sort of insecure environment all liberal democracies would be replaced with total war police states and half the society would be joining death cults.

naem
May 29, 2011

Batman question: so if he sees a bunch of guys committing a crime and punches them (until they stop), then hangs them by their ankles from a lamppost, do the police just assume that "yes these are criminals because they are tied up, we will charge them with, something"

Like does batman get out his phone and film them crime-ing first and then email the cops or how does

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

oldpainless posted:

I like to imagine Snyder spent like a whole day filming and refilming until midnight and trying to get the senator to really dig deep and get the true emotion thst scene needed of looking at a jar of piss and the other parts of the movie where the editors and actors had ideas and questions on how to make the movie good he was like whatever and put in some headphones and smoked weed

did you imagine the characters from watchmen yelling all the time or was zack snyder the only person on the planet earth who did that

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

naem posted:

Batman question: so if he sees a bunch of guys committing a crime and punches them (until they stop), then hangs them by their ankles from a lamppost, do the police just assume that "yes these are criminals because they are tied up, we will charge them with, something"

Like does batman get out his phone and film them crime-ing first and then email the cops or how does

why do you think it's so trivially easy for the criminals to get back on the street?

batman's vigilante actions are a defense lawayer's wet dream and actively hamper the prosecution of the criminals he temporarily puts in jail before they are acquitted or released without charge.

is it any wonder one of the biggest villains in his rogue's gallery is a former district attorney?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

naem posted:

they probably have to cut them loose literally and figuratively beginning the cycle anew.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Halfway through the movie superman gets a text from Bruce saying he has to stop the riddler and batman never shows up again

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Well to be fair actually imprisoning or treating Gotham's criminals would hamper Batman's life goals of savagely and ruthlessly beating mentally ill poors on a nightly basis.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Yeah, it would be like a cool little game. You get to join the mob and do all sorts of illegal poo poo, and chances are high that Batman will find you long before the cops do. You'll take some rough blows or get a batarang to the hand if you're stupid enough to draw a heater, but at the end of it all, you'll recover and 9/10 times the cops won't have poo poo to do but question and release you when they find you. Since Batman does their job for them on a nightly basis, Gotham cops have got to be lazier, more corrupt and even more inept than normal. Truly a Gangster's Paradise.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its pretty unrealistic that batman hasn't just been shot to death already, imo :kiddo:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Make the most revolutionary story ever where it turns out sometimes beating people in the head or chest with blunt objects actually causes them to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, it would be like a cool little game. You get to join the mob and do all sorts of illegal poo poo, and chances are high that Batman will find you long before the cops do. You'll take some rough blows or get a batarang to the hand if you're stupid enough to draw a heater, but at the end of it all, you'll recover and 9/10 times the cops won't have poo poo to do but question and release you when they find you. Since Batman does their job for them on a nightly basis, Gotham cops have got to be lazier, more corrupt and even more inept than normal. Truly a Gangster's Paradise.

they address this problem in Dark Knight Returns. Batman starts giving criminals minor injuries (like broken bones) that will keep them immobile for a while, because he knows the system will just let them go

eventually he just says "gently caress it" and murders the Joker too :v:

• Locked thread