Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/5530112407.html

That looks incredibly clean for that price, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I like it, and the bed seems like it would be so useful.

(Seriously though it does look pretty clean)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

I like it, and the bed seems like it would be so useful.

(Seriously though it does look pretty clean)

Yeah, I laughed at the truck shot too. It's not an S2 or turbo, but those have been going up in price lately. Gonna go check that thing out on Tuesday or Wednesday. It would be awesome if it looked in good in person as it does in pictures. What do I need to look at on 944's? Common rust spot kind of stuff.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't have too much experience with them, but a friend has one. From what I remember his has (factory I think?) rust proofing on the rockers and underneath, not a spec of rust on his and I haven't really heard about rust issues with them. The only things I can remember he had to deal with over the years are the struts for the rear hatch getting tired (lots of glass so the thing weighs a good amount), some electrical issues with the gauge cluster, and I think the lock/opening mechanism on the trunk and passenger door gave out and he had to replace/finagle with them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

I don't have too much experience with them, but a friend has one. From what I remember his has (factory I think?) rust proofing on the rockers and underneath, not a spec of rust on his and I haven't really heard about rust issues with them. The only things I can remember he had to deal with over the years are the struts for the rear hatch getting tired (lots of glass so the thing weighs a good amount), some electrical issues with the gauge cluster, and I think the lock/opening mechanism on the trunk and passenger door gave out and he had to replace/finagle with them.

They're galvanized, but that doesn't mean there's not some loving battery tray that collects water and then somehow rusts out the floorboard so I figured I'd ask. I know the general issues with them are belts/waterpumps/tensioners and that the clutch is a major PITA. Sounds like fun to me! I'm sure it's probably rough as hell in person so it doesn't matter.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

fknlo posted:

They're galvanized, but that doesn't mean there's not some loving battery tray that collects water and then somehow rusts out the floorboard so I figured I'd ask. I know the general issues with them are belts/waterpumps/tensioners and that the clutch is a major PITA. Sounds like fun to me! I'm sure it's probably rough as hell in person so it doesn't matter.

I just remembered, he had his balance shaft belt snap (It's a separate belt I guess, or maybe its on the accessory belt?). Don't know about the clutch, his is an auto :(
Good luck, and maybe someone else has more experience with them can chime in on regular issues.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Motronic is the person to hear from.
One of the problems mine had was the cam position sensor harness would get slightly loose; going over bumps would sometimes interrupt the signal and kill the motor. The solution is apparently to zip tie the hell out of the harness to its mounting bracket.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
That car was not very clean. Definitely some bondo and resprayed panels. He said he'd take "any reasonable offer", but I don't imagine half his asking price being reasonable. Not sure if I'd want to pay $2k for it either. Oh well.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive weekend car that will also get some fair-weather daily driving duties. I live less than 3 miles from work, gym, stores etc and my V8 S4 is overkill. I've primarily been looking at miatas and E30/E28 bimmers, but a couple attractive looking 944's came up on craigslist in my area. How bad of an idea is a 944 for the aforementioned purpose? Cars in question:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5544994941.html
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5523186344.html

Edit: I will also be parking them outside...

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 20, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

willroc7 posted:

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive weekend car that will also get some fair-weather daily driving duties. I live less than 3 miles from work, gym, stores etc and my V8 S4 is overkill. I've primarily been looking at miatas and E30/E28 bimmers, but a couple attractive looking 944's came up on craigslist in my area. How bad of an idea is a 944 for the aforementioned purpose? Cars in question:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5544994941.html
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5523186344.html

If you already own a V8 S4, no matter how bad a $3000 944 gets it's going to seem more reliable.

Print out one of the good forum buyers' guides and take it with you, and don't be afraid to walk. They made a bunch of these.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you already own a V8 S4, no matter how bad a $3000 944 gets it's going to seem more reliable.

Print out one of the good forum buyers' guides and take it with you, and don't be afraid to walk. They made a bunch of these.
Actually my S4 has been a peach so far. I got it with 36k miles and put 10k on it so far. It's had a couple very minor things (clutch position switch, throttle body cleaning) but overall has been very reliable. I'm sure it will be a different story closer to 100K though. It's under a carmax warranty until next year or 100K as well.

Will a 944 be a lot worse than a miata or E30 era bmw maintenance/reliability wise? I don't have a ton of wrenching ability or time, although there is a good german indie shop down the road from me.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

willroc7 posted:

Actually my S4 has been a peach so far. I got it with 36k miles and put 10k on it so far. It's had a couple very minor things (clutch position switch, throttle body cleaning) but overall has been very reliable. I'm sure it will be a different story closer to 100K though. It's under a carmax warranty until next year or 100K as well.

Will a 944 be a lot worse than a miata or E30 era bmw maintenance/reliability wise? I don't have a ton of wrenching ability or time, although there is a good german indie shop down the road from me.
Especially compared to a Miata.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

willroc7 posted:

944 maintenance definitely includes the Porsche tax. You can save an insane amount of money if you can do any of the required wrenching yourself. From what I've read, the clutch is the probably the most painful maintenance item on them. If it was ever upgraded it's not an issue. Outside of that most work seems pretty reasonable and there are diy's for everything. Like someone else said, they made a lot of them, don't buy one that doesn't work for you. Like the one I looked at yesterday. The body was in way worse shape than I want to deal with.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

fknlo posted:

944 maintenance definitely includes the Porsche tax. You can save an insane amount of money if you can do any of the required wrenching yourself. From what I've read, the clutch is the probably the most painful maintenance item on them. If it was ever upgraded it's not an issue. Outside of that most work seems pretty reasonable and there are diy's for everything. Like someone else said, they made a lot of them, don't buy one that doesn't work for you. Like the one I looked at yesterday. The body was in way worse shape than I want to deal with.

Yeah I've been building a 944 for spec racing for ... too long now... and mechanically they're rather easy to work on. The clutch isn't difficult it just takes a long time since so much has to come out first. Parts are definitely expensive, though. I nearly had a heart attack when my friends broke a fuel pump on a chevy small block and picked one up at O'Reilly for $25. Those are $200+ for the 944 (mechanical vs. Bosch electrical).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah I've been building a 944 for spec racing for ... too long now... and mechanically they're rather easy to work on. The clutch isn't difficult it just takes a long time since so much has to come out first. Parts are definitely expensive, though. I nearly had a heart attack when my friends broke a fuel pump on a chevy small block and picked one up at O'Reilly for $25. Those are $200+ for the 944 (mechanical vs. Bosch electrical).

That's why you put the small block into the 944 :getin:

I've been looking at possible engine swaps, so that's right up my alley. Probably one of the reasons why the condition of the body would be my main concern.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

fknlo posted:

That's why you put the small block into the 944 :getin:

I've been looking at possible engine swaps, so that's right up my alley. Probably one of the reasons why the condition of the body would be my main concern.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5546495045.html

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Whatever happened to the guy with that white 944 with the small block swapped in.

I think the thread was titled nine fo fo ls juan.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

iron block? :rolleyes:

For real though, cars with the swap already done are probably going to cost you a lot less unless you have a bunch of stuff sitting around. I don't and wouldn't be at all against buying something like that. Huge caveat that I'd be really reluctant to risk buying out of state and traveling for one that was already done without someone really knowledgeable going over it first.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bajaha posted:

I just remembered, he had his balance shaft belt snap (It's a separate belt I guess, or maybe its on the accessory belt?). Don't know about the clutch, his is an auto :(
Good luck, and maybe someone else has more experience with them can chime in on regular issues.

Balance belt is in front of the timing belt and he's drat lucky it didn't rip the timing belt to shreds when that happened.

This is one of the reasons I don't run belt covers. Also because I'm lazy.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

That's like 5 minutes away. I should offer him the 3k that car's worth and see what happens.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Bajaha posted:

Whatever happened to the guy with that white 944 with the small block swapped in.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575724
heh, still had it bookmarked. Thread poster has a black one, but this guy has the white one I guess:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575724#post420780092

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Another 996TT sold: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911996-twin-turbo-coupe/
36.5k with this for the story: An inspection and oil change from Zuffenhausen Porsche in Arizona was performed in August 2015, and a low “over rev” incident report has been provided

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Another 996TT sold: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911996-twin-turbo-coupe/
36.5k with this for the story: An inspection and oil change from Zuffenhausen Porsche in Arizona was performed in August 2015, and a low “over rev” incident report has been provided

260 range 2 over revs.

That's not all that low. Could be higher though. Probably a pretty drat good price.

e: Oh my god I want this Alfa I wonder what that will end up going for? I really need to look at that site more often.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 21, 2016

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011

Bajaha posted:

Still here, not much progress to report.

literal Anime
Jun 26, 2015
http://i.imgur.com/h88sM7X.jpg

recently got a 944 that's been prepared for track use by it's previous owner. It's spectacular as a DD.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
When do Porsches typically come off lease? Can I expect a good number of 2015s to show up this time next year?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Been shopping for a miata and this popped up. How bad is this going to hurt my wallet?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5551836135.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Been shopping for a miata and this popped up. How bad is this going to hurt my wallet?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5551836135.html

Probably the big thing to know is that they are susceptible to the same IMS failure as the 996 and early 997.

I've been thinking of dropping my NA Miata for a 987 because I'm to tall for the NA and want something more comfortable after a back injury. If anyone here has 987 experience, I'd love to hear it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

blk posted:

Probably the big thing to know is that they are susceptible to the same IMS failure as the 996 and early 997.

I've been thinking of dropping my NA Miata for a 987 because I'm to tall for the NA and want something more comfortable after a back injury. If anyone here has 987 experience, I'd love to hear it.
Says the ims had been done in the ad. I'm not too big for a Miata though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Hello again Porsche thread. I'm tentatively in the market for a 911 in the 30-45k range as a weekend/whatever car. I'd consider a Cayman but the back seat is a big deal since it allows a booster :3: seat. So from what I've seen the 05-08 S seems to be the sweet spot for performance, price, and reliability but I want to know what issues to look for and options are must have. My rules are manual, coupe, and prefer RWD (since our other cars are AWD). I know of the IMS issue but what else is there to beware of other than the obvious used car garbage?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

When do Porsches typically come off lease? Can I expect a good number of 2015s to show up this time next year?

I don't have data, but I suspect the majority of leases are in the 36-48 month range like any other brand.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is Edmunds fair for valuing cars? I'm thinking of doing something really stupid:

http://www.panjo.com/buy/2014-cayman-s-certified-11k-miles-highly-optioned-210755?index=15

Edmunds says it's worth about 15k-20k less than asking.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Residency Evil posted:

Is Edmunds fair for valuing cars? I'm thinking of doing something really stupid:

http://www.panjo.com/buy/2014-cayman-s-certified-11k-miles-highly-optioned-210755?index=15

Edmunds says it's worth about 15k-20k less than asking.

Basically that's a two year+ old Cayman s. Might need new stuff like brakes soon if he beat on it hard. He says "almost" $88000k msrp (I would believe a window sticker, not what he decided to round to) and if he bought an optioned out late model year left on dealer lot special then he MAYBE paid invoice for it (maybe less). So maybe he paid $80k? Then the deal looks like poo poo because that guy only lost $10k and got to drive a Cayman s for two years without spending a dime on maintenance. I would need: exact purchase date to see if it's actually closer to 2.5 years or older, carfax and a Porsche dealer inspection to make sure no accidents or anything was replaced, and then window sticker and then you could use window sticker to input the options in Edmund builder to get invoice price

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/930622-boxster-spyder-fs.html

I'm finding it tough to price this. Perfect options, but the mileage is quite high. What would be a decent price on this?

edit: Although it seems silly to get a 5 year old, 70k car for 50k when a new M2 is the same price.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 6, 2016

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw this the other day

Not the greatest pictures admittedly, but it was super dark and I only had an iPhone.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Residency Evil posted:

I'm finding it tough to price this. Perfect options, but the mileage is quite high. What would be a decent price on this?

edit: Although it seems silly to get a 5 year old, 70k car for 50k when a new M2 is the same price.

I owned one of these and that price is high. Rennlist people are insane 90% of the time.

That car was low 60s new. LWBs were free and dumb people optioned the sofas back in. When I bought mine a used set was $5k so I figured I'd run the sofas for a while and pick up used LWB seats later. Now they trade hands for 8-9k.

Even though that engine is drat near bulletproof it's still a poo poo load of miles for a Spyder. Most people treat them like a GT3/RS where they're driven hard but only occasionally. On Rennlist people think the LWBs make the car worth a lot more. It's definitely a desirable feature but he should be asking 5k less. It's going to sit for a while.

Oh and you're not getting an M2 anytime in the next 18 months unless you pay someone handsomely for their spot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I think I've seen them for in the mid 40s, which is about where I'd want that one.
That said, you live in a place where it almost never rains? That top is kind of a drag to operate, even if you get it down to a minute.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

I think I've seen them for in the mid 40s, which is about where I'd want that one.
That said, you live in a place where it almost never rains? That top is kind of a drag to operate, even if you get it down to a minute.

Haha, I live in Wisconsin. The only reason I'm considering it is because I live close to work, could take the bus if really needed, girlfriend is buying a V90, and I'm moving next year. Sounds like closer to 40k would be a better price. Reasonable?

The alternative is waiting to next year when more Cayman GTSes come off lease.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I would not buy that car if I couldn't drive it with the top off 90% of the time. I'd offer 43.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

I would not buy that car if I couldn't drive it with the top off 90% of the time. I'd offer 43.

I offered 40k (which is a bit low). He countered with 47k. I have to keep reminding myself that 55k is a lot of miles for one of these, and that I'd ideally be buying next spring as opposed to right now.