Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I don't remember the game being so dark on the interiors, but I have a habit of cranking gamma when I can. But seeing enemies peppered with arrows is still satisfying after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Seiren posted:

The saying 'ahead of its time' applies here, but in a bad way. There was a PC port, but I haven't spent enough time with it to really tell you if that fixes those issues or not.

It at least doubles the draw distance and gets rid of the frame rate issues. Having, like, infinite times more ram to work with has its advantages.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
New-ish weapon already.

Episode 02 - Sniper Capability Enabled

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Does sniping have a point if enemies can pick you off from just as far of a distance without much effort? On the plus side, head shots look very satisfying to pull off, even in N64 quality graphics.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Man, all the memories are coming back to me now. Particularly those two Entrails that snipe at you from beyond the fog distance where the mysterious bridge between two mountains symbol is. gently caress those guys and gently caress the n64 unable to handle the game in that area. I can't wait until the PC port gets released! Though I haven't seen anything said about it since the first came out though.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah, those 2 at the top of the towers when you get to the second level are awful. The ledge is not long enough for you to get completely out of range of the Endtrails. Sniping can be useful, but the sniping sections with Endtrails have them all facing you and they seem to have much better senses than other Endtrails. For example, the one in that inner area that was wandering around the bottom wasn't aware we were there until I missed with that pistol shot. Stuff like that will come up again and it's there that sniping will shine. You just have to make the shots count because if you miss or don't kill with the shot they run around like a prehistoric genetically modified chicken with it's head cut off.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Requesting you do your best impression of "I AM TUROK" to show Joshua Fireseed how it's done

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I forgot that you have to backtrack through huge empty levels. By far the worst part.

AstroWhale fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 14, 2016

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Alright everyone, I just got the Turok Remastered Version, and dang is it awesome! Trust me when I say that the improved draw distance isn't the ONLY new feature that the game has! Best of all, you don't even need to HAVE the bells and whistles if you don't want it! If you go into the menu, you can make the game run just like it did on the N64, with block(ier) graphics and everything!

But enough about that, I want to talk about how they handled the Campaigner boss fight, because as it turns out, they SIGNIFICANTLY changed that fight in almost every way. Two of the Campaigner's moves are different, he uses different voice clips at different times, his weapon resistances have changed, and even the cinematics have been tweaked! So, let's dive right in, starting with...

THE CINEMATICS

First of all, there's one rather cool change during the Campaigner's death throes...

Yes, you're seeing it right! Tal'Set HIMSELF is now standing right behind the Campaigner, flexing his muscles like a boss. In addition...

Nightdive has removed the GAME OVER message that used to be seen at this moment here. However, it DOES appear at the end of the credits, replacing the Cheat codes that you got in the original versions. So now, let's move on to...

THE MOVES

To start with, the Campaigner has always been a jumpy dude.

In fact, the guy was practically Tigger's long lost buddy. There wouldn't even be a reason WHY he was bouncing, he'd just randomly pound the ground. But in the REMASTERED version...

Ergh...wait, what, what's he doing?! What's he...

No, NONONONONONONONONO-

:kingsley: :kingsley: AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! :kingsley: :kingsley:

Yes, you are seeing that right. The Campaigner literally just launched my stuff 10 FEET INTO THE AIR!! Granted, I was diagonal jumping , but still, LOOK at that air time! And the fun doesn't stop there.

You see, in addition to sending you into the stratosphere, the Campaigner will actually home in on you as he's doing it. His attack literally functions as both a ground pound AND a homing missile rolled into one! The only way to consistently avoid it is to jump right as he's about to land. If you do it right, he won't hurt you, though he WILL still send you blasting off again. And speaking of heavy impacts...

Nightdive has also significantly increased the range of the Campaigner's melee attacks. It used to be that the guy had to be right up in your face to connect with any of them. The range on his attacks was SO abysmal, in fact, that you could literally trivialize the entire fight just by doing this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBDswdN5wOI&t=45m44s

Yes, the guy would actually do nothing but flail at the air while you pounded him to death with the Auto Shotgun. Don't be fooled by the fact that the runner took damage; the only reason he took any amount of damage at all was because he was focusing more on killing him quickly than he was on not taking damage. If he had wanted to, he would've avoided every single one of those swings by just standing still, and occasionally tapping the Down-C Button.

In the REMASTERED version however...

Yeah, he's GREATLY increased his range. In fact, I'm willing to bet that they actually TRIPLED the range on his attacks! Now, you have to be much further away from him than before, which means...

That you're now vulnerable to his ranged attacks as well. Ergo, there are no safe places to be anymore. You cannot just lock him into a never ending chain of melee attacks like you could before. He'll simply just blast you away if you try that nonsense.

So that all sounds pretty insane, right? Dude's gotten a lot HARDER, hasn't he? Well, he has...buuuuut...he also has a new weakness...

WEAPON VULNERABILITIES

So, remember how the Campaigner was immune to almost all of your weapons in the original versions? Well, he's still pretty bulky...

But now you have a NEW secret weapon, the Quad Rocket Launcher!

WHOO, look at it go!

Holy cow...I just blasted away 75% of his health bar using nothing but Rockets! I got a Backpack, got my full retinue of 48 Rockets, and went to town on him! So, this then makes the Campaigner significantly easier than before, right? Well, actually, the Quad Rocket Launcher has a rather....steep downside.

For as powerful as the Rockets are, they also have a nasty tendency of hurting YOU as well. See, the Campaigner is almost ALWAYS charging right at you, which means that you could very easily end up getting splash damage. If that happens, you'll lose 20+ Health in the process. And to make matters worse...

The Rockets have a rather steep charge-up time, and the Campaigner is constantly jumping/teleporting/sprinting around the arena, so actually setting up the shot is easier said than done. If you're too close, you'll get 20+ Damage to the face. But if you're too far, you'll wind up missing. In this way, the Rockets are helpful, but they still won't save you if you lack skill.

And no, the Grenade Launcher still doesn't do anything. The Knife, the regular Bow and Arrow, and the Quad Rocket Launcher are the only weapons that have gained the ability to hurt him. Other than that, he's still just as much of a damage sponge as he was before. With that said, we find ourselves at the very final change...

THE VOICE CLIPS

Now, don't get the wrong idea. The Campaigner still has the same line delivery and the same voice as he did before...but his voice clips now play at different times than they did before. For example, remember the Campaigner's gloriously hammy victory quote? Remember how he bellows THE UNIVERRRSE.....IS MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE whenever you get a game-over? Well guess what? You don't need the game-over anymore! He'll now use that quote during the actual fight! You don't need to die anymore in order to hear him roar that line at the top of his lungs :allears:.

However, there is one other change. And unfortunately, it is, IMO, the one negative change out of all the others.

Remember how the Campaigner used to go "UUUUGGGGGHHHH!!" during his death throes? How he would roar in pain one last time, as he slumped to the ground? Well, those clips no longer play during his death animation. Now, the guy's just completely silent....for some reason. I don't know why they made that change, but IMO, I think it takes some of the oomph away from your victory. Good thing they added in Tal'Set, huh?

And that's all the changes they made to the Campaigner. As far as I'm aware, there are only two minor changes that were made to the other bosses. They got rid of the little tunnels that you could go in during the T-Rex fight, and you can now OHKO the Longhunter's trucks! Yes, just go right up behind them, strike them with the Knife as shown here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMUA25UNI6I&t=7m20s

And there you go! No more Longhunter tedium! Other than that though, they were pretty much unchanged. The Campaigner was the only one that got overhauled to the extent that he did.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed that brief little write up. Have a nice day, and God bless you!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 16, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Somebody said that the Chronoscepter kills the Campaigner in two shots in the remastered Turok 1. I guess they drastically decreased the amount of damage he needs to take to die overall. The fight does look pretty tedious in the original, but I think they swung it in the other direction a little too drastically.

Great write-up!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Y-Hat posted:

Somebody said that the Chronoscepter kills the Campaigner in two shots in the remastered Turok 1. I guess they drastically decreased the amount of damage he needs to take to die overall. The fight does look pretty tedious in the original, but I think they swung it in the other direction a little too drastically.

Great write-up!

Thanks Y-Hat! I really appreciate that!

As for the Campaigner's durability...well, I think the truth is a bit more complicated than that. I tried the Chronoscepter myself on Hardcore, and it seems like Night Dive changed the way it works. Instead of doing one big blast of damage, like it seemed to on the N64, it now does a series of continuous hits. So the more dead on accurate you are with it, the more damage you do. If you manage to be BANG on the money, you'll actually take off HALF of the Campaigner's lifebar in one hit.

The flip-side to that though is that, again, you have to be DEAD ON accurate with it. Otherwise, you'll only do about an 1/8th of the Campaigner's health. As for all the other weapons, it seems like the Campaigner is still pretty tanky against every other weapon. Explosive shotgun shells seem to do about as much to him in the Remastered version as it did in the N64. It's just that Night Dive seems to have tweaked the Chronoscepter slightly, an also turned off a few of the Campaigner's invincibility flags.

So, yeah, the dude does die pretty fast if you know what you're doing. But I think he's still a lot more satisfying to fight now than he was before, just because he has an actual chance of killing you this time. That exploit I mentioned above really did cheese the fight back in the N64 days...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 16, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

That is an amazingly awesome write-up. I'm super happy to see all these little tweaks that got made to the game. I can't wait to play it myself. Also from the speedrun how much did they bump the knife damage up by? Or were they playing on a lower difficulty? They took out the shaman in one knife hit.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Another interesting thing is that the rocket launcher in the remastered version doesn't use 4 rockets per shot like it did in the original so that new rocket launcher vulnerablity is very :gibs:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

It should be fine if the maximum rockets is around 12 with a backpack, considering the original had 48. Then it's just a power boost to the rocket launcher.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Uh worded that wrong, you still get 4 rockets per pull of the trigger, but it only uses 1 ammo per 4 rockets!

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Yay, we're up to Turok 2. The only of the main three games I ever actually fully beat without massively cheating.

Which is saying something, because Turok 2's levels are labyrinthine and incredibly long. Not to mention I did not have the most amount of patience as a kid, so getting through those slogs was... something for me.

Though on a slightly more personal, and possibly cute note: Back when I was a kid asking for these games for Christmas, I hand-wrote my Christmas/Birthday lists, and apparently my handwriting when writing out 'Turok' wasn't the best, mostly because my u and r blended together. So forever more my family calls the games 'Twok' because that's what it look like I wrote. Ah, memories. :allears:

Also, I do not envy you when you get to Level 4.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Uh worded that wrong, you still get 4 rockets per pull of the trigger, but it only uses 1 ammo per 4 rockets!

Nah, you worded that right, the error in communication may be on my end. In the N64 version you could hold a max of 48 rockets with a back pack, which was 12 shots since you use 4 per shot. So since you use 1 per shot in the remake, if your max rockets are now 12 you get the same amount of shots.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Yay, we're up to Turok 2. The only of the main three games I ever actually fully beat without massively cheating.

Which is saying something, because Turok 2's levels are labyrinthine and incredibly long. Not to mention I did not have the most amount of patience as a kid, so getting through those slogs was... something for me.

Though on a slightly more personal, and possibly cute note: Back when I was a kid asking for these games for Christmas, I hand-wrote my Christmas/Birthday lists, and apparently my handwriting when writing out 'Turok' wasn't the best, mostly because my u and r blended together. So forever more my family calls the games 'Twok' because that's what it look like I wrote. Ah, memories. :allears:

Also, I do not envy you when you get to Level 4.

Turok 2 was my first experience with black Friday. I attempted to buy it from Toys R Us for $30 like the add, then found out that was a mail in rebate and a discount you'd get for buying it with a system I already had and my 16 year old self needed like 75 up front. Then I opened it on Christmas morning to my surprise. My mom was great at noticing what presents to get for people.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 03 - I am Tu-rok

Spudd posted:

Requesting you do your best impression of "I AM TUROK" to show Joshua Fireseed how it's done

Don't tempt me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:stare: Those are some grisly deaths, especially for the N64.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
GAH! I want the Turok toys!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

How can you regret something so beautiful?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Maybe it's a Denny Crane situation and he says it all the time so he doesn't forget his name?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

What in the hell is that in the bottom right corner? I just know this can be turned into a forum emote or smiley/animation thing or whatever SOMEHOW............

Hey BlindSally, didn't the above pictured thing's brother/lover/obvious relative play the big bad in your Shadows of the Empire LP?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I'm fairly certain that's Adon. She's a little different in the comics. For instance, her and Joshua Fireseed are a thing in Turok comic land.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Is that a perk of being Turok? It's very hard to say. I assume Adon has a great personality, and fantastic sense of humor.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

PSWII60 posted:

I'm fairly certain that's Adon. She's a little different in the comics. For instance, her and Joshua Fireseed are a thing in Turok comic land.

Wait really? So that whole "Adon likes Joshua" thing that kinda comes out of nowhere in 3 is from the comics? A bit strange if you ask me.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

My memories of Turok 3 are fuzzy at best and non existent at worst. Any how have a new episode.

Episode 04 - Now Leaving Port

Next one's gonna be delayed a bit. Did you know it's kinda easy to accidentally delete a save game in Turok 2?

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ahh... Oblivion. I love those guys. Their designs are fairly neat, they're pretty challenging, and I admit I kinda like their 'lore'. But then I have a bit of a soft-spot for things such as this.

I do like the idea that they introduce in that from now on, every stage has two Warp Portals, and you don't know which one's which your first time through, so there's now always going to be the trepidation of 'is this going to be safe?' This becomes more so when you consider the Talisman chambers are required to beat the game. Of course, you don't have to do the Oblivion portals... but there is a very good reason to... :twisted:

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
That Oblivion segment really reminded me why I hate playing shooters on a controller nowadays. Seeing your aim meander past enemies all the time makes the sperg in me froth at the mouth. Kinda funny considering how much I played Golden Eye on the N64 when it was hot poo poo.

But drat, I didn't remember the creepy narration that happens with your first visit to Oblivion. I really can't wait for Night Dive Studios to finish their Turok 2 remaster.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

The Flesh Eaters are easily one of my favorite things in this game. The creature designs are good, but that cutscene perfectly gives the impression of "Oh poo poo, what did I just walk into? I'm really not wanted here." The environment is very dark, oppressive, and alien compared to the rest of the game too, just to add a little extra punch.

The opening for the next area is another favorite spot of mine.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

PSWII60 posted:

The Flesh Eaters are easily one of my favorite things in this game. The creature designs are good, but that cutscene perfectly gives the impression of "Oh poo poo, what did I just walk into? I'm really not wanted here." The environment is very dark, oppressive, and alien compared to the rest of the game too, just to add a little extra punch.

The opening for the next area is another favorite spot of mine.

Agreed. Though some of the voices I think might've been done better? I'll give it this, it's a hell of a lot better than what we'd get these days where they would all sound like the bass was cranked to 11 and the VAs gargling rock salt before each take. Having that nice actual variety in the voices really made you feel you were going up against a legion.

Also, yeah. Area 2 is awesome. The first section is so much fun. The rest of the level's pretty fun too, but I find it sort of interesting how if you look at the levels, there's definitely a sort of progression. You go from the Human lands in the Lost Lands to somethings more... Tribal for area 3, degenerating further in area 4, until you finally get to something completely bat-poo poo alien in 5 and 6, to show you really aren't in Kansas anymore (or wherever Joshua is from, I don't think it's really stated where his tribe is). All leading up to the final fight with the Primogen itself. Which is a fight I hated as a kid, and I can't wait to see you smoke 11 year old me at it. :v:

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah... In addition, comic Adon is actually a hologram that has physical properties. But even though she's basically a really sentient computer, she also has a mother that she speaks very fondly of? Who was also a sentient, touchable computer??

SkyTalon2314 posted:

(or wherever Joshua is from, I don't think it's really stated where his tribe is)

Oklahoma. :v:

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, my home state? I KNEW there was a reason behind the Fireseed casino!

Also, I. AM. TOO-ROCK.

WE. ARE. TOO-ROCK.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Tu-rok
Too-rock.
Two-Rock.

holy poo poo i just realized it's an analogy for testicles :aaaaa:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Well, you would need a big set of cojones to take on cybernetic dinosaurs with a bow.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Never thought Turok would be from an area so close to Texas :v:

Ah. Am. To-rock

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Those sniping sections look like a pain in the rear end unless you get a headshot off the bat.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I always thought of it as TOR-OCK.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I always heard TWO-ROCK.

Y-Hat posted:

Those sniping sections look like a pain in the rear end unless you get a headshot off the bat.

That's accurate actually, thankfully they have short attention spans so it's not usually too long until they forget about you. Finding the enemies first in the mist can be fun though. Incidentally I like the Mystery Case Files hidden object games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
Hello again! We've reached the second Turok game, which means that we get to explore more cut content. However, I'm going to break it down a bit, level by level, because to do otherwise would result in a ridiculously large post. So to start off, here's a link for later use:

operative lm, Seeds of Evil, and The Port of Adia

And here's the post itself, just so people can see it and not have to click a pesky link. Enjoy!

quote:

Seeds of Evil is a huge game. In terms of scale, it's likely one of the largest FPS games on the Nintendo 64. Twenty-nine to 30 enemies, four enormous bosses, and roughly 23 weapons (depending on how you view them) spread out over six sprawling levels. And even this is only due to the fact that Iguana Entertainment had to twice put in a special request for a larger cartridge to hold it all (8 MB just didn't cut it, and they quickly found out that 16 MB wouldn't either).

So how would you feel if I told you that Seeds of Evil was, at one point, planned to be significantly larger?

Years ago, when Acclaim went bankrupt, most of their stuff was auctioned off or otherwise disposed of. Among the items that were rescued was a rough draft for the in-house published strategy guide (file last modified August 6, 1998; the initial creation date seems to be lost, but the draft requests certain weapon and boss text to be submitted before July 9), and it's a gold mine of information.

Now, way back when (March '98), IGN reported that the then-upcoming Turok 2 would feature "eight unique graphic sets" for each of the eight levels. "Eight, you say? LM, stop it with your crazy talk." It's true! Much like Dinosaur Hunter, there would have been eight levels, but no hub from which to access them. The game would have progressed linearly as Joshua Fireseed attempted to stop the Primagen from destroying the Energy Totems. Most of the levels now present in the second Turok game appear here, roughly in the same order.

But The Port of Adia is not one of them.

Seeds of Evil would have started with what is now the second level, Slaughter by the River of Souls and continued on from there. But this is not to say that The Port of Adia was too much of a latecomer. An issue of the Official UK Nintendo Magazine shows screenshots of The Port of Adia while still referring to the game's eight levels. While it hasn't been spelled out anywhere, I believe that one of the original level ideas was considered too difficult for the N64. We'll be coming back to what this level would have been a bit later, but for now, just know that it was removed from the rotation and The Port of Adia was put in its place, just moved to the front of the game.

So is there anything that can be said about this level? Sort of, though it's less about the level itself and more about an enemy that used to be in it.

Meet the Hunter:

The Hunter is a bit of cut content that's nevertheless managed to pop up quite a bit throughout Seeds of Evil's promotional content. It even managed to get an entry in the game's manual, which says:

quote:

Hunters are the result of centuries of selective breeding. Bred to perform as reptilian bloodhounds, the Hunters are also used as instruments of terror and death. Heavily muscled and powerfully built, they can leap great distances and are extremely deadly.

It's unknown how often the Hunters would have appeared throughout the game, but they at least would have made an appearance in The Port of Adia (or at least what appears to be The Port of Adia), as seen in this screenshot of the game's level editor:

And since I'm here, a brief shout out to the original texture set for the Raptors, which was another prominently-displayed element of the game before its release:

• Locked thread