Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cricket snuck up on me in the middle of nowhere by herself while I was in a shootout with synths and I blew her away because she looked like a raider, all before I could buy the Spray N Pray :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Cricket snuck up on me in the middle of nowhere by herself while I was in a shootout with synths and I blew her away because she looked like a raider, all before I could buy the Spray N Pray :(

Is it not possible to loot vendor inventories in this game? I'd have thought you'd be able to grab it from the pack brahmin.

Then again, it would make it ridiculously easy to get a powerful gun at the very start of the game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

QuantaStarFire posted:

Is it not possible to loot vendor inventories in this game? I'd have thought you'd be able to grab it from the pack brahmin.

Then again, it would make it ridiculously easy to get a powerful gun at the very start of the game.

I still got the Overseer's Guardian, which is a way more powerful gun to someone like me who likes semi-autos, but no the inventory for traders is typically hidden in a safe somewhere under the world so that you can't just murder everybody to tear down any merchant-based gating systems

I'm also locked out of Chang's Revenge or whatever it's called because I accidentally picked up a can in a bush that they owned apparently and they went HAM on me :(

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

I'm also locked out of Chang's Revenge or whatever it's called because I accidentally picked up a can in a bush that they owned apparently and they went HAM on me :(

*steals coffee cup*
THAT'S MINE! *revs minigun*

Owned items should really have a specific value attached to them so people don't get immediately murderey because you stole a battered clipboard or something. Maybe they give you a warning when you steal a low-value object (but don't do anything), and take there poo poo back and/or kill you for the high-value stuff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hell, they had that in Fallout 3.

I remember accidentally grabbing a tin can while trying to use Moira's workbench. Her bodyguard grabbed it from me and I just carried on as normal.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I tried to rob Trashcan Carla and now she won't sell to me and won't get the gently caress out of sanctuary. I'm gonna have to murder her out in the middle of nowhere just so no one ever knows my shame.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sanctum posted:

So was there ever a fix for settlements not producing water? I eventually gave up trying to fix the problem and cheated myself 10k purified water but then I felt like I was cheating when I starting peddling water everywhere even though I totally earned it with the wall of industrial water purifiers I built around castle.

If you have water purifiers, they will dump a bunch of water into your workbench every 24 hours of game time, as long as there is no water in there already. So you need to empty it regularly.

Also, sleeping or waiting in a chair for 24 hours doesn't count. You have to let the time pass naturally, which I believe takes 25 minutes or so.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Colon Semicolon posted:

I reached the Institute finally and I'm not really sure what to do. On one hand I finally found son, on the other hand I really want to free slaves. I fear that will mean killing son and kicking me out of this totally rad looking place though, and I'm not sure I wanna do that.
Also like, I was expecting the institute to be alot more evil than this. I guess we're doing the 'even super advanced machines can't be free people' bullshit that every story does. Atleast these guys seem like they're actually interested in creating something else besides that.

There are no satisfying endings. Just play the game for a while, then decide which group of people you want to slaughter for no good reason, and move on to the next playthrough.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, tamed monsters count towards defense of your communities? Wasteland Whisperer and Animal Friend just got a lot more attractive.

Once I build up enough resources this run I'm gonna have a No Humans Allowed settlement somewhere. Just Protectrons and Mr. Handies tending crops with Deathclaws and Yao Guai guarding the place.

Kinda surprised there isn't an option to build a Sentry Bot to be an, er, sentry with a buffed-up defense rating automatically added to the settlement. I mean, you could always put your robot on guard post duty but that's not the same.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Speedball posted:

Oh, wow, tamed monsters count towards defense of your communities? Wasteland Whisperer and Animal Friend just got a lot more attractive.

Once I build up enough resources this run I'm gonna have a No Humans Allowed settlement somewhere. Just Protectrons and Mr. Handies tending crops with Deathclaws and Yao Guai guarding the place.

Kinda surprised there isn't an option to build a Sentry Bot to be an, er, sentry with a buffed-up defense rating automatically added to the settlement. I mean, you could always put your robot on guard post duty but that's not the same.

In my current game I've setup shop on the overpass above Graygarden, with an expanded Mr. Handy farm below. It's pretty much the best.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Rage posted:

I tried to rob Trashcan Carla and now she won't sell to me and won't get the gently caress out of sanctuary. I'm gonna have to murder her out in the middle of nowhere just so no one ever knows my shame.

I had Mama Murphy's chair sitting in the middle of the road in Sanctuary, then gave her drugs till her heart gave out. Then the chair sat there empty, until I killed Trashcan Carla and left her body on the chair. A message to everyone in town of what will happen to them if they don't farm my adhesive crops.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bethesda patched Wasteland Workshop and somehow managed to gently caress up female PC face textures in the process. Why don't we have a :dice: or :frontear: for them yet?

https://community.bethesda.net/message/53589

Edit: Temporary fix: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12217/

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Finally I can play as my trueself, a lady with really bad vitiligo

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Rage posted:

Once you get your own vendors up and running in Sanctuary, she's basically useless.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Are follower perks always active or just when you have that follower? Does dogmeat have one?

I managed to get this game running smoothly before and it almost felt like cheating. Coming back something feels 'off' with my mouseaiming. I set the FOV to 90, disabled mouse accel but aiming was still laggy/floaty. Then I remembered to disable vsync and that was a huge improvement but something is still clunky and imprecise about looking around. Is there some launch option I'm forgetting?

e: Disabling motion blur was the missing puzzle piece

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 22, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sanctum posted:

Are follower perks always active or just when you have that follower? Does dogmeat have one?

I managed to get this game running smoothly before and it almost felt like cheating. Coming back something feels 'off' with my mouseaiming. I set the FOV to 90, disabled mouse accel but aiming was still laggy/floaty. Then I remembered to disable vsync and that was a huge improvement but something is still clunky and imprecise about looking around. Is there some launch option I'm forgetting?

Once you get the perk, it's always active. This leads to weirdness where you're telling that companion poo poo like "YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND" or "LET'S DO THE HORIZONTAL MAMBO" and then literally immediately after tell them to gently caress off to bumfuck nowhere because they're no longer relevant. Dogmeat does not have a perk, per se, but he can find stuff for you (and steal the Cryolator right out of its master locked case in Vault 111 as soon as you get him).

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

tadashi posted:

Once you get your own vendors up and running in Sanctuary, she's basically useless.

They updated her, if you've got Wasteland Workshop she now has shipments of 100 and 200 concrete which is super useful if you're building concrete structures. Otherwise yeah she's useless.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am so goddamn torn by FO4's survival mode.

On the one hand - I love all the consumable/recharge aspects, though I'd love it more if it had numbers or a meter or SOMETHING. The diseases are annoying enough that I always carry around a small stock of antibiotics and think carefully before using one. Ammo having weight is fine and I find myself hoarding supplies a lot less due to the lowered carry weight.

On the other hand - enemies are still bullet sponges. Pipe rifles in certain enemy hands become insane murder machines, while barely scratching my armor in others. No autosave has made me lose SO GODDAMN MUCH GROUND. Sneak and stealth feels super OP in this mode. Modding weapons/armor feels even more critical since you need all the DR you can possibly get (And getting plenty of explosion resistance is SUPER helpful).

I dunno. I want to like it so much, most of the features are so great, but two of them are so awful that I'm finding myself disliking it more and more.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I loving love it, my only real complaint is the sleep to save thing because I wish there was a save progress and log off option like in Final Fantasy game boy games, and the save is deleted upon being loaded again.

This annoyance will only last until somebody mods in a sleeping bag you can take with you that weighs a bunch to balance it out

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

I loving love it, my only real complaint is the sleep to save thing because I wish there was a save progress and log off option like in Final Fantasy game boy games, and the save is deleted upon being loaded again.
Yeah, I really wish there was save-on-exit. It's apparently extremely controversial to ask for though, given the reaction over on the Bethesda forums (which are bad not just by official forum standards, but now by forum design and functionality standards).

quote:

This annoyance will only last until somebody mods in a sleeping bag you can take with you that weighs a bunch to balance it out

I actually want to try making this mod when the CK comes. Not sure how far I'll get though.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

I actually want to try making this mod when the CK comes. Not sure how far I'll get though.

No need to, there are already 2 mods for that.

Campsite: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11734/

Camping Supplies: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11118/

Having a sleeping bag, or even a deployable tent with you in survival mode is really nice.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Well survival definitely helps legendary enemies earn that prefix. After all since they can take well over a half dozen .45 rounds to the temple and still manage to drop a heavily armored target in three hits from a 10mm pistol there must be campsites where settlers swap tales in hushed tones.

Personally though I'm finding it really aggravating.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how so many of the cages seem to feed into each other. You need a lot of animal meat for bait (and to repair/reset them) but usually the most common meat is from plant-eaters who can be lured with carrots and razorgrain, which I always have plenty of.

Nother thing I like about Automatron's DLC that wasn't mentioned in the thread yet: I like the new enemy mobs. Rust Devils and the Mechanists' swarmbots are fun to fight.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I got a lot of mileage from explosives early on. Good damage all at once and quite likely to bust legs up

Otherwise useless perks like lifegiver are nice. The 30% mitigation from lone wanderer more so

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Otherwise useless perks like lifegiver are nice. The 30% mitigation from lone wanderer more so

Choosing perks was always difficult before survival, now it's hellish since so many are much more useful. But with the reduced carry weight (Which seems buggy as hell, my CW bounces from 160 to 260 regularly for no reason I can determine) I have a difficult time justifying taking LW, especially since encumbrance is so much worse now than it was and I risk life and limb by carrying too much.

Speaking of, does strong back level 4 do anything different in survival since there is no fast travel?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

khy posted:

Choosing perks was always difficult before survival, now it's hellish since so many are much more useful. But with the reduced carry weight (Which seems buggy as hell, my CW bounces from 160 to 260 regularly for no reason I can determine) I have a difficult time justifying taking LW, especially since encumbrance is so much worse now than it was and I risk life and limb by carrying too much.

Speaking of, does strong back level 4 do anything different in survival since there is no fast travel?

I doubt it. LW does add a bunch of carry weight but of course, nothing like a sentry bot companion.

Get scrapper and break down guns with lots of mods and any site with a provisioner assigned acts as a shared a shared inventory, which also helps as they tend to give components from the heavier junk you find around

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I haven't played in ages. What are the damage numbers in the new survival mode? Pretty sure it was the usual "you do half damage, enemies do double damage" before, but I can't find any information about the new mode.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

khy posted:

Well survival definitely helps legendary enemies earn that prefix. After all since they can take well over a half dozen .45 rounds to the temple and still manage to drop a heavily armored target in three hits from a 10mm pistol there must be campsites where settlers swap tales in hushed tones.

Personally though I'm finding it really aggravating.

If you've got so much trouble taking down one enemy then you've probably messed up somewhere in your strategy and perk tree. You've usually got an advantage over a single enemy in new survival mode compared to the old, but a significant disadvantage over several. Are you really investing perks in carry weight at this point?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Wait there's no meters? So you can't tell if you're hungry or injured without looking at the status menu? Maybe that's something they're going to add in later, it's still in beta after all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Does bypassing companion carry weight limits by commanding them to pick up stuff off the ground still work in survival mode?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Wait there's no meters? So you can't tell if you're hungry or injured without looking at the status menu? Maybe that's something they're going to add in later, it's still in beta after all.
You can see the icons for them in the hud. A water drop means you are thirsty, and a fork and knife means you are hungry.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I can't get the Silver Shroud quest to progress. I've already got the suit and hat but when I talk to the dude in the Memory Den I just get a generic reaction. I've tried listening to the SS radio cast while walking around Goodneighbor but it just keeps playing stories (and, frankly, it's getting pretty boring).

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Smol posted:

I haven't played in ages. What are the damage numbers in the new survival mode? Pretty sure it was the usual "you do half damage, enemies do double damage" before, but I can't find any information about the new mode.

Everyone, including you, does more damage and can take less. Combat engagements are very fast as a result.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Svartvit posted:

If you've got so much trouble taking down one enemy then you've probably messed up somewhere in your strategy and perk tree. You've usually got an advantage over a single enemy in new survival mode compared to the old, but a significant disadvantage over several. Are you really investing perks in carry weight at this point?

No, I'm using a companion for my CW issues, but I plan to take them eventually and was curious about the strong back perk 4 and how it'd work in survival. I've been focusing on boosting damage via rifleman and mods, boosting DR via armorer, and then the usual hacking/lockpicking up to expert.

The biggest issue is the legendary usually murders the poo poo out of my follower (who lacks the intelligence to fight from cover more often than not) and this leaves the entire group attacking me instead. And while I can take out most smaller enemies easily, by the time I get to the spongey enemies I'm at half health or less. Since health regens so slowly I have to fall back and they get fairly aggressive when they're the last ones alive.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 23, 2016

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Question about the new survival mode:

The general strategy to make the game easy to just always be in power armor (other than in the beginning), using water purifiers to make 200 bottles of water a day and trading the water for fusion cores (and whatever else you need). Does doing that still make survival mode relatively easy, other than the constant hassle of having to deal with eating and drinking and sleep and no saves?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Orange Sunshine posted:

The general strategy to make the game easy to just always be in power armor (other than in the beginning), using water purifiers to make 200 bottles of water a day and trading the water for fusion cores (and whatever else you need). Does doing that still make survival mode relatively easy, other than the constant hassle of having to deal with eating and drinking and sleep and no saves?
Power armor doesn't protect you from the new combat diseases.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Sunshine posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm waiting for the mode to come out on console, but I've already been gameplanning for it. I think the way to make it easiest would be to go BoS so you have vertibird access (would still work if you go minutemen without aggroing BoS). Then have two primary stations where you have water networks up and running, and have them fairly close together. I was thinking maybe Nordhagen beach and the Castle. Then when you're low on supplies, you can take vertibirds back and forth, and water at one will refresh while you grab water from the other and sell it to your merchants there.

If you connect those two settlements together with a supply route, you can get 3 or 4 junk merchants and just buy the poo poo out of their junk, which would keep your workshop network plenty stocked with building materials. As you connect settlements to the network, you can add more junk to it via merchant instead of running around looting poo poo. That'll be important since ammo has weight now, and picking up junk means less bullets you can carry. With a bunch of weapons merchants, you could stock up on ammo and fusion cores as well. And of course a surgeon can provide you with all your medical supplies for treating your diseases and poo poo. Then you could just sort of build out from the east, while taking a flight home every now and again to spam water and rebuild your stockpiles.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Did survival mode just get added on console?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Power armor doesn't protect you from the new combat diseases.

Bahahaha. This highly advanced armour is impervious to radiation but is powerless against the mole rat sickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
The diseases are currently a nuisance at most. I'm currently level 59, and have yet to run out of antibiotics at any point, despite not having the perk required to craft them.

• Locked thread