Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

OhsH posted:

Monza?

pass

Yeah, I'm not going to try to force a race on a track like that. If I can get any time in, it will be for early Interlagos practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Monza aka everyone dies in turn 1. Even more than usual.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Shine posted:

Much more mentally draining, though; I gotta take a break after a tense race.

The GT3 races I did at Sonoma were proof of that: those are some of the more stressful iracing races I've ever done, probably only second behind the last few laps of my only win at Indy, when everyone behind me had fresher tyres but couldn't get close enough to get alongside into turn 1 or 3. Doesn't help that the Cup track version, while being the best Sonoma, doesn't really have any straights where you can rest and check how much time is left or how you're doing on fuel milage; you have to check that poo poo either going through one of the esses and potentially crashing or very quickly on the front straight or down the hill into 4A...

One wee feature that iracing could do with for timed races is having a time left counter permanently in the black box beside the lap count and lap time: it'd be a small thing but incredibly helpful. Perhaps also get the spotter to record lines telling you how long you have left at certain points - not much more than after every hour

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 21, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

One wee feature that iracing could do with for timed races is having a time left counter permanently in the black box beside the lap count and lap time: it'd be a small thing but incredibly helpful. Perhaps also get the spotter to record lines telling you how long you have left at certain points - not much more than after every hour,

I would love this, just an option to call out 10 and 5 minutes to go would be great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IceAgeComing posted:

The GT3 races I did at Sonoma were proof of that: those are some of the more stressful iracing races I've ever done, probably only second behind the last few laps of my only win at Indy, when everyone behind me had fresher tyres but couldn't get close enough to get alongside into turn 1 or 3. Doesn't help that the Cup track version, while being the best Sonoma, doesn't really have any straights where you can rest and check how much time is left or how you're doing on fuel milage; you have to check that poo poo either going through one of the esses and potentially crashing or very quickly on the front straight or down the hill into 4A...

One wee feature that iracing could do with for timed races is having a time left counter permanently in the black box beside the lap count and lap time: it'd be a small thing but incredibly helpful. Perhaps also get the spotter to record lines telling you how long you have left at certain points - not much more than after every hour

I know after you guys left, I was doing my stint and I looke at the clock and it said 1:05 remaining or something and I said to my team mate "okay, bring her in ina bout 5" and he said "nah mate, if you could do another 15 minutes that'd be great, okay?"

And I was like "okay." :smith: :smith:

Not that it wasn't fun but it was hard work and took a lot of concentration.

Okayama, by comparison, was like those Gran Turismo Endurance races where you just turn your brain off and log laps - super relaxing. Sonoma was hell.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Zolder death chicane :argh:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

Who is Moxieman? Make yourself known!

Still wondering about this, is it someone's friend they've pulled in for BES?

Also I'm still looking for drivers for the Sat PM race for Independent Gents. McLaren/Merc/Audi all acceptable choices. Depending on fuel use I'm looking at long/short/long stints with just one tyre change so could probably run with just two drivers.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

IceAgeComing posted:

The ability to customise the black box is pretty much the one thing I want more than anything in this game.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Vando posted:

Still wondering about this, is it someone's friend they've pulled in for BES?

Also I'm still looking for drivers for the Sat PM race for Independent Gents. McLaren/Merc/Audi all acceptable choices. Depending on fuel use I'm looking at long/short/long stints with just one tyre change so could probably run with just two drivers.

He's a friend of mine (also a goon, he just doesn't post much), yeah.

I'm in for the Saturday PM race. Any of those cars is cool with me, just let me know which one I should practice with.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Vando posted:

Who is Moxieman? Make yourself known!

Hi there it's me, the moxieman.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Lord Crapulus posted:

Zolder death chicane :argh:
Which one?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

The first one, i.e. the one with the huge towering curbs that make you spin when you get too much of them with cold tires. Oops!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Eyud posted:

He's a friend of mine (also a goon, he just doesn't post much), yeah.

I'm in for the Saturday PM race. Any of those cars is cool with me, just let me know which one I should practice with.

Merc is probably best for Monza, go with that.

Also for IceAge: are you in for the Sunday race or is your name just left in the sheet from last week?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Vando posted:

Merc is probably best for Monza, go with that.

Also for IceAge: are you in for the Sunday race or is your name just left in the sheet from last week?

I can do both, yeah

Although I've not been able to get as much practice done as I've wanted; I let my mum use my computer to print something a few days ago and somehow she managed to infect me with a bunch of terrible adware which was a bitch to get rid of

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

Although I've not been able to get as much practice done as I've wanted; I let my mum use my computer to print something a few days ago and somehow she managed to infect me with a bunch of terrible adware which was a bitch to get rid of

God drat lol, just do it for her.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Man, someone has to talk me in to a T300, because it's a lot of coin (I know it's not a "lot" in the sim wheel universe, but still). My G25 still works fine, but is low on buttons and the FFB is not especially outstanding in this the YOOL 2016.

I'm especially of annoyed that to get the best price I have to buy the vanilla wheel and get a garbage set of pedals I will never use, I'd happily pay the same for the wheel base and say the GTE rim, or slightly more for the F1 rim. And speaking of rims, have any Canadians used dwstore.ca? They have all the TM stuff for suspiciously low prices, although the T300 set itself is best-priced at Costco of all places.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Amazon generally has decent TX and T300 bundles if you're looking for all thrustmaster gear.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Belt drive > gear drive.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I noticed the difference between the DFGT and the G27 wheel, don't know that it actually helped at all though.

tater_salad posted:

Belt drive > gear drive.

Someday, someday, I just figure I've dropped enough money on this stupid game already.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Father's day is coming up and that's what I'm getting myself.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

When I get money I might get this bundle for Iracing/ps4 poo poo? You guys think it's good?

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...s=thrustmasters

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The T300 is good, the T3PAs are good and I've heard the alcantara rim is real good so yeah.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Possibly Chicken posted:

When I get money I might get this bundle for Iracing/ps4 poo poo? You guys think it's good?

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...s=thrustmasters

I have the same base (TX) and Rim. They are nice. Not sure about the pedals.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Double post.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Keeping the G25 pedals because they are quite decent, shifter too. I just, like I said, am annoyed I can't get the base and rim of my choosing for approximately the same price as wheel + lovely pedals (this is by design, I presume). The servo base is unavailable on Amazon.ca, and .com is way more hassle than it's worth.

If D&W is legit I could get the base and F1 rim for about $500Cdn, but I'll probably just Prime the T300 package for $100 less and the rim at a date TBD.

And also for Canadians, Best Buy is having a monitor sale and the Dell E2715H is $179 (but sold out online, check your local), the Acer K272HL is $199, which I got, and there's a nice looking HP 27CW for $229 but it's 14ms. All 27 inchers, if you haven't parsed the model numbers by now.

I considered a 21:9 ultra wide but I didn't like the height of the 29" screen - super short - and was not prepared to spend a crapton on a curved screen that my video card could barely drive anyhow.

edit: D&W is $60 shipping, plus tax so nah - about $150 more for a servo base and F1 rim than T300 setup.

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 24, 2016

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: The Gooncar Finale at Summit, Sunday 9:30pm GMT+1 (10:30pm grid time) :siren:

Will be at:

Summit Point! Watch out for unguided Fruitstripes (RIP)

Featuring:

Yeah it's still the Skip Barber!

:supaburn: Newbies welcome!

If you're new and haven't been added to the league yet, apply HERE and also GET IN MUMBLE DETAILS IN THE OP

(The weird session timing is because there's a 60 min qual before the race to make best use of the full 2hr timeslot)

:siren: THIS IS IN TWO HOURS FROM THIS POST :siren:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Thanks for the season, Vando. It was neat.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What did I miss?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Crappy walked away and OhsH netcoded off of Capital Gorson

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
REMINDER: there's a race next week that isn't in the calendar. Because it's a tournament race and they're "special".

So it starts at the usual time with a 30 minute "qualifying" session, though the times don't count: grid will be based on reverse championship positions for...

Race 1: New Hampshire Road! Finishing positions will determine the grid (reversed again) for...

Race 2: New Hampshire Oval!

Tune in for me losing my poo poo trying to make the iRacing website launch the right session at the right time. Endless fun!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lord Crapulus posted:

Thanks for the season, Vando. It was neat.

Agreed, though I only got in for a couple races at the end. I'd be happy to chip in for another season if somebody with better organization wants to set it up.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks Vando for the season. It was fun - would do it again if time permits.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I take back most of the bad things I said about Sonoma, I think it's actually pretty good for the Skippy. Racing might be a whole different thing since there really isn't a good passing zone anywhere, even in this slow thing, but hotlapping was neat. I am going to get SO MANY offtracks if I'm pushing though.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
First ever Super Late Model race was a disaster, due to "Let's see how many are racing next race....10, awesome."

"Do I have a set?" Nope.

Ran a USA set that got good times but got so loose after 20 laps or so I was having no fun, then found that running the lowest possible line made it workable, until someone brake checked me for some reason (I also forgot that oval guys use voice chat exclusively). Sigh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My dega fun... race for third was on!

https://youtu.be/g6rHm2LKhpA#t=36m1s

Should start at ~36min in.

Also if you stick around you'll see me miraculously make it through the big one.. then an incident 2 laps later.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

Vando posted:

grid will be based on reverse championship positions

uh oh..

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So they are kinda scanning the dirt tracks.

https://twitter.com/iRacingMyers/status/726045932278669312

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
They are going to make some poor guy eat more of it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd pay $20 to see Dave Kaemmer eat it. Also I just noticed it's labelled turn 1, this company is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They're sure going through a lot of effort to pretend like they're what, microanalyzing dirt or something? Stop the charade, we all know you're just going to create the dirt art and then have the tires have less grip, we don't need this whole show of "we're getting down to the molecular level".

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 29, 2016

• Locked thread