Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

The Muscle relaxant has a hidden damage bonus to any "precision" weapons, like the crossbow, the Sniper Rifle, the A.W.P, etc etc...

Basically, if you pick up something and a blue arrow appears above your head, some sort of special synergy has activated. One example is Alpha Bullets + Omega Bullets = Reload speed boost (?) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I kinda wish the game would spell some of this stuff out somehow instead of just burying it as deeply as possible in the code.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I remembered, I found my first caped bullet kin my last run and remembered to let him live.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
For me the caped bullet kin usually has a big hot ball of death about to hit him before I realize I shouldn't kill him.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Particulator + Hip Holster + Backup Gun (+ Shadow Bullets but that's not even neccessary) is an extremely awesome combo. Just mash fire and reload, point vaguely into enemy direction (optional) and concentrate on dodging.
Really, the only reason i didn't flawless the Dragun on that run (the first time i ever got there, too!) is because i also found the red scarf on that run for the first time, and it completely hosed up my dodge roll game.

And i still didn't even get hit on the first phase, and only twice on the second.

Now that i actually know how the red scarf works (hold dodge button to teleport to mouse cursor), i could definitely flawless the last boss with ease in that setup.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

The Muscle relaxant has a hidden damage bonus to any "precision" weapons, like the crossbow, the Sniper Rifle, the A.W.P, etc etc...

So that's why my Hegemony Rifle started clearing house all of a sudden.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It turns out that Angry Bullets with Bee Hive is pretty drat broken but it also makes the Dragun impossible if you use it because the game becomes an input eating slideshow.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Jibo posted:

It turns out that Angry Bullets with Bee Hive is pretty drat broken but it also makes the Dragun impossible if you use it because the game becomes an input eating slideshow.

This combo also takes out Kill Pillars in about 8 seconds.

Also wow Clone makes getting the Lead God cheevo pretty dang easy.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Jibo posted:

It turns out that Angry Bullets with Bee Hive is pretty drat broke

Seems appropriate

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Wow, I've been incredibly lucky with this game apparently deciding nah, gently caress you. I finally ran into it when trying to get the TV down to the Blacksmith. ...first room off the elevator was one of the hammer rooms where you have to roll. I attempt to throw the TV across, standing right on the edge it goes about halfway and then falls in the pit. I don't even care that my setup was good enough to beat the Dragun, I was annoyed enough to be like yeah, taking a break.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Floodkiller posted:

So that's why my Hegemony Rifle started clearing house all of a sudden.

Yes, I think that for some reason it affects that gun as well, which turns it into an absolute monster. That combo carried me to my first victory against the Lich.

Edit: Found this:

It is exactly as good as you think it is.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 23, 2016

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

When he says "I need to see..." does that mean he's going to take my health (meaning I need 7 hearts and have to throw my run) or do I just need 6 hearts?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
You just need to have 6 full hearts.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Holy poo poo the 7 leaf clover is OP as gently caress, it replaces EVERY CHEST in the game with red and black ones.

Edit: Thanks 7 leaf clover, you're the best. Even managed to save the pig from dying!

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 23, 2016

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lich down! Muscle relaxant, heavy bullets, magic sweet plus sniper rifle killed him faster than I could gently caress it up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How do secret rooms work and how do I find them?

How long will ammo cubes stay in a room before despawning? Hearts and keys will stick around, but I've tried leaving ammo to come back and grab and it's always gone.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

How long will ammo cubes stay in a room before despawning? Hearts and keys will stick around, but I've tried leaving ammo to come back and grab and it's always gone.

Any item left in a room that can be of use to you later on has a chance to be taken by Ralph the Rat.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Just assume any guns, items, armor or ammo boxes will be stolen by the rat as soon as you leave the room.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're pretty unpredictable, but they kinda seem to tend towards being on the outside of the map, and maybe somewhat more likely in chest rooms. If you shoot a piece of wall with non-starter weapon and it gets cracks in it, it's a secret room entrance and you can open it with a blank or explosives. I'm pretty sure the secret room entrance will only be in a piece of wall that could be a regular room entrance but isn't. I find it's they're unpredictable enough that it's not worth hunting for them beyond a shot at each other door spot in the chest rooms and throwing out any leftover blanks after finishing the floor on random rooms with space around them.

There's one in the tutorial with pre-revealed cracks if you didn't spot it and have no idea what the cracks look like, it's at the part just before the boss fight, in the room to the left.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 23, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Yes, I think that for some reason it affects that gun as well, which turns it into an absolute monster. That combo carried me to my first victory against the Lich.

It's probably because the tooltip when you pick it up says "So Accurate", so for pun reasons.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I've put around ten hours into this game so far, enjoying it for the most part although I think drop rates need to be far less swingy than what they currently are. I'm not making it super far yet, only to the third stage or so because I enjoy playing like an idiot, but I've had several runs where I'll only get maybe three drops the entire time and have to pray a key appears in the shop so I can open a chest, and other runs where I've had three ammo drops on the same floor.

A couple questions: is there any rhyme or reason as to how many waves a room has? Sometimes it's just one, sometimes it's two and it just feels like the game's wasting time.

Also, is it just random when enemies drop money or are you supposed to influence that somehow? That's my biggest issue with the previous question, clearing out two large waves of enemies to get a whopping four coins out of the deal feels like I've just had my time wasted. Especially when I go do other, much faster and easier rooms where the game decides every enemy's going to drop money and I come out with twice that much.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Every room's spawns and wave totals are pre-set based on the room type. There are a number of rooms I started to recognize after long enough and I'd find myself thinking "okay grenade enemies are going to spawn here so I can use that to my advantage."

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think this is the most attempts it's taken anyone in this thread, but even my twitchy tilty rear end could pull off this run with Membrane + Stinger + Angry Bullets:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
drat, had an amazing run that fell just short...

Unlocked the level 3 shortcut, unlocked the Robot and got halfway through stage 3 of the Lich before dying

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
turns out getting the chandelier and mine cart kills is worthless :smith:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Is the Blank shrine supposed to be limited? The first time I used it I got like 5 chests, then another time only one came out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It annoys me a bit that more difficult rooms don't offer better drops, at least as far as I can tell.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I also don't think chests should be locked. The game is stingy enough on ammo and gun drops.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kiranamos posted:

Is the Blank shrine supposed to be limited? The first time I used it I got like 5 chests, then another time only one came out.

I don't think I've ever gotten more than one chest from that shrine, didn't know they can drop more.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Broken Cog posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten more than one chest from that shrine, didn't know they can drop more.

I've only had a single brown chest drop from the blank shrines and never thought to use them more than once since the other shrines all seem to be single use.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I also don't think chests should be locked. The game is stingy enough on ammo and gun drops.

It gets better when you unlock things like the mimic tooth necklace, shelleton key, and akey-47

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Found this:

It is exactly as good as you think it is.
Wow. That must be close to being hands down the best item in the game. And I thought bloody eye was OP...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It annoys me a bit that more difficult rooms don't offer better drops, at least as far as I can tell.

gently caress that fourth level room that's horizontal and has the pit in the middle that spawns like four waves of every enemy that can possibly spawn on that floor. It takes longer to finish than one of those challenge shrine rooms and doesn't even have a guaranteed drop. Isaac eventually solved this by making your active items recharge double for large rooms; EtG should do something similar.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
^^^ Isaac also does't do the waves of enemies thing. You roll into a room and can see everything you'll have to deal with and don't really have to worry about getting sniped by something that spawned off screen that you didn't see.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not just the more difficult rooms but the rooms that take longer to clear. Nothing knocks the wind out of my sails faster than having a bunch of like 3+ wave rooms in the 4th or 5th floor that just suck up all your ammo and give you maybe a couple of extra casings for my efforts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm hoping they continue to rebalance - and not by waiting until an expansion is released.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'm just deeply upset at the fact that there's no Robocop Auto-9 analogue in this game, nor a ROTT-style drunken missile launcher.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

Any item left in a room that can be of use to you later on has a chance to be taken by Ralph the Rat.

If you hide in a hallway and wait for Ralph to spawn and take a couple shots at him he'll gently caress off and won't come back on that floor (I think). I'm not 100% on this but it seemed to be true from my observational experience.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to do a 180 casings/4 keys run to fix the third floor elevator. On the first run I managed to pick up four keys from drops, but only 175 casings total for the three floors. Then on the next I only had one key drop and not a single store had a key for sale during the first or second run. I ended up destroying about 25 chests and only one dropped a single half-heart, one exploded, and the rest were trash. Didn't see a single trash eater in the merchants.

I finally got it but holy poo poo the RNG really fucks you on keys sometimes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also bosses should drop ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Yesterday I got a room that had one of the big red Chests with a fuse coming off it so naturally I rushed over there to open it and it turned out it was a mimic. Thanks a lot, game, way to be a loving rear end in a top hat.