Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
can someone explain why mori conceded? twitch chat thinks mengucci is scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They were probably both hosed on a draw and are on the same team.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Lancelot posted:

can someone explain why mori conceded? twitch chat thinks mengucci is scum

The reason that one of them conceded is because they're on the same team (and thus probably friends to at least some degree). A draw confirms neither of them makes the top eight. A concession is worth some amount of favor in the future to one of them.

The reason that Mori conceded is unclear and we'll probably never know. Maybe they discussed ahead of time, maybe Mori agreed that Mengucci would have won if the game had played out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It looked like he pressured Mori into it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/bg-sacrifice-deck-tech/

LSV article on the GB aristocrats deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BizarroAzrael posted:

I mentioned LSV's Blister pods as there was a running bit on Limited Resources because he advised against BFZ GB sacrifice and picking Blisterpod before doing that himself within days.

Is the list somewhere? I've been building BW midrange but I might give it a go, I love Aristocrats.

This is what I'm playing tomorrow at a GPT. I'm guessing LSV has 4 abbeys instead of the rogue's passage. Also I don't think they are using Fleshbag Marauder.

Deck: GB Rites

//Creatures
4 Blisterpod
2 Loam Dryad
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Nantuko Husk
2 Liliana, Heretical Healer
2 Fleshbag Marauder
4 Catacomb Sifter

//Spells
4 Collected Company
4 Cryptolith Rite

//Land
3 Westvale Abbey
1 Rogue's Passage
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Hissing Quagmire
6 Forest
4 Swamp

Display deck statistics

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 23, 2016

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Rinkles posted:

It looked like he pressured Mori into it.

If you don't concede to me you'll never get another one of my hugs.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Bant company is bad and they deserve each other. I think the line was that the dramoka plus avacyn in the air beats out a deck completely out of reflector mages. After a while we would start to see (assuming no den pros) avacyn chumps. This would eventually win against a mirror with no sideboarded Dramoka (eventually barring krasis tapdowns). What a loving slog

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
It did not look good on camera. It looked like the more experienced, A-personality guy bullied his less-experienced Japanese teammate into a concession.

Yeah probably comes off worse for Mengucci since at no point in that discussion did it ever seem like he would be the one willing to concede to his teammate.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is Marshall Sutcliffe the most professional-looking man in Magic?

He's the only person amongst all of Wizards, pro players, and community who knows how to dress himself.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

1: Jon Finkel(43 loving points)
2: Seth Manfield(39)
3: Brad Nelson(39)
4: Luis Scott-Vargas(39)
5: Shouta Yasooka(37)
6: Steve Ruben(37)
7: Luis Salvatto(36)
8: Andrea Mengucci(36)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm probably 12 cards from building it, but I like playing removal. Might be time to main deck Kalitas.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Coverage is supposed to start at 9am local time tomorrow which is midnight PST tonight.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

qbert posted:

It did not look good on camera. It looked like the more experienced, A-personality guy bullied his less-experienced Japanese teammate into a concession.

Yeah probably comes off worse for Mengucci since at no point in that discussion did it ever seem like he would be the one willing to concede to his teammate.

I heard of Katsuhiro Mori in the early 2000s(and he literally has his own wikipedia page) and hadn't heard of Mengucci until maybe a couple of years ago.

Like, the rest of it might be a legit issue, I wasn't watching at that point, but not the experience thing

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

qbert posted:

Coverage is supposed to start at 9am local time tomorrow which is midnight PST tonight.

They're doing best of five matches, but do you know if they're sequentially or concurrently ordered?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Elyv posted:

I heard of Katsuhiro Mori in the early 2000s(and he literally has his own wikipedia page) and hadn't heard of Mengucci until maybe a couple of years ago.

Like, the rest of it might be a legit issue, I wasn't watching at that point, but not the experience thing

Ah, my bad then. That point aside, it did feel like personality type had a lot to do with the decision.

clamiam45 posted:

They're doing best of five matches, but do you know if they're sequentially or concurrently ordered?

I think the last Pro Tour they showed every match sequentially for the Top 8.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah Pro Tour top 8s show every single match. So semi-finals will probably be at an semi-reasonable if early time for east coast/central.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Plus you can rewind the Youtube and watch it at 2x speed and skip right through the garbage. I have done that for European Pro Tours before. Wake up at like 7 ET, watch the quarterfinals in 2x and catch up to the semi-finals.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Has an official deck list came out for GR Goggles Ramp?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LSV doesn't usually have badpinions, but him coming out against funny deck names and in favor of """"""descriptive""""""" ones is definitely a black mark on his record

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

JerryLee posted:

LSV doesn't usually have badpinions, but him coming out against funny deck names and in favor of """"""descriptive""""""" ones is definitely a black mark on his record

yeah

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

80s James Hetfield posted:

Has an official deck list came out for GR Goggles Ramp?

Yeah would be interested to see this too, and also to see the list for the u/b demonic tentacles deck to see how much it differs from the pact decks I've seen before.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibler being salty about people calling this the greatest t8 of all-time is really wonderful, because he's sort of trying to play it off like he's joking, but he's really transparently not joking.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The one in Hawaii that had Finkel vs Kibler has to be pretty high on the list, right?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

rabidsquid posted:

Kibler being salty about people calling this the greatest t8 of all-time is really wonderful, because he's sort of trying to play it off like he's joking, but he's really transparently not joking.

gently caress Kibler.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

He also says "Practice Cutthroat math. It’s tricky, and the deck does surprisingly large amounts of damage. You don’t want to leave wins on the table. Sometimes Abbey is a better sac outlet than Husk, as it eats all the Cutthroats at the same time, getting you more triggers. A board of 2 Cutthroats, Husk, 2 Visionaries, deals 6 life loss with Husk eating things, and the full 10 with Abbey (plus whatever Ormendahl attacks for)."

Am I missing something or does a board of 2 Visionaries, 2 Cutthroat and a Husk cause you to lose 7 life? You'd get 2 triggers off of the Visionaries, 2 from the first Cuttthroat and 1 off the last one.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

Kibler basically shits on magic until it's time for the PT or to talk about his legacy so gently caress him.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

He also says "Practice Cutthroat math. It’s tricky, and the deck does surprisingly large amounts of damage. You don’t want to leave wins on the table. Sometimes Abbey is a better sac outlet than Husk, as it eats all the Cutthroats at the same time, getting you more triggers. A board of 2 Cutthroats, Husk, 2 Visionaries, deals 6 life loss with Husk eating things, and the full 10 with Abbey (plus whatever Ormendahl attacks for)."

Am I missing something or does a board of 2 Visionaries, 2 Cutthroat and a Husk cause you to lose 7 life? You'd get 2 triggers off of the Visionaries, 2 from the first Cuttthroat and 1 off the last one.

Yeah he probably just did the math wrong. That's still a 3-point difference using Abbey, though, which is something I didn't even think of until I read that. That deck is so fun to watch, it wins from 20 without attacking (or attacking once with Ormendahl) pretty well.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JerryLee posted:

OTOH, you should be able to tell what it is a deck does by someone naming it. There's still room for funny names, they just.. have to involve what the deck does in some capacity.

The Aristocrats is like four levels removed from the original deck, which kind of made sense, but even then it was a stupid gimmick name about Blaspehmous Act.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 23, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lets Pickle posted:

Yeah he probably just did the math wrong. That's still a 3-point difference using Abbey, though, which is something I didn't even think of until I read that. That deck is so fun to watch, it wins from 20 without attacking (or attacking once with Ormendahl) pretty well.

I just think its funny that he got the math wrong while telling you to do the math better.

Zergden
Apr 6, 2009

Wurzag posted:

Yeah would be interested to see this too, and also to see the list for the u/b demonic tentacles deck to see how much it differs from the pact decks I've seen before.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/round-13-seth-manfield-vs-brad-nelson-2016-04-23

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Alaan posted:

8: Andrea Mengucci(36)

god damnit

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Niton posted:

The Aristocrats is like four levels removed from the original deck, which kind of made sense, but even then it was a stupid gimmick name about Blaspehmous Act.

Wasn't it called Aristocrats because it ran Falkenrath Aristocraft and Cartel Aristocrat

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

is CoCo gonna be the new birthing pod in modern?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

AgentSythe posted:

god damnit

Why are we supposed to hate him? The concession thing? I like his legacy vids and he's easy on the eyes which is a rare skill for magic professionals.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Wow this post from 1 year ago showed up on the new page of the thread.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Dungeon Ecology posted:

It already kind of is. Somewhere between CoCo and Chord, Pod lives on.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rabidsquid posted:

/
https://mobile.twitter.com/bmkibler/status/723938825584709632

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Niton posted:

I love Aristocrats and I love me some LSV, but even I have to question what they were thinking with the interaction between X and Y.

This feels like it happens every rotation, and unless Wotc gets real cool about spoilers and increases their playtesting department from like, 12, to whatever can compete with the best teams/minds in the game trying to break the format, its going to keep happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sickening posted:

Someone's deckbox is picked up by the player to his left here at states. They ask the players, players say they don't have it. They go to the. Cameras, indeed one does, player still here. Jace's recovered and the player isn't dq'd?

Judges :colbert:

Played against the person who had their jaces stolen in round 3 today and I was scummed in such a way that I was at a loss and was at felt totally at fault for letting me guard down.

First off, I had a light hearted convo about him getting his poo poo stolen and I was happy that he got his 4x foil jaces back. Any day someone has video proof of your stuff getting stolen and you get them back its a good day. I mull to 5 and lose despite a languish being a 5 for 1 in one of the turns. He beats me down with manlands with me thinking "have we really gone so many turns he could have 15 lands out?". Anyway, i scoop and we go to game two.

Game two is going great and I am keeping his bant/coco threats off the board. Its the end of turn 7 for him, he plays a morph with 4 mana open and a negate in the graveyard. I untap with a avancyn and I feel good with being ahead. I play a land, (number 8) and declare attacks. He bounding krasis to tap avancyn. Something tells me now is a great time to secure the waste for 7, when I have an abbey in play and only his two lands untapped. I cast secure for 7 and uses the land to megamorph a stratis dancer. Tide swining play. He asks if I am done, moving me along, I say go and he draws.

gently caress.

I call a judge and and my now excited opponent now sees that he got away with his cheat and now its too late. He had 4 mana open for bounding krasis but only tapped 2 lands to give himself protection with stratis dancer. He knew I did notice and he seems like a veteran of these types of calls. The judge comes back and gives him a verbal warning, nothing is reversed, and now he is ahead. Next turn (now turn 10) he is activating man lands with mana to spare. I think "that is odd" and do a quick count. Sure enough, he has 11 lands in play on turn 8 with bant company. I also make a judge call and again its too late.

Having to babysit every move your opponent makes in competitive rel loving sucks. The current system rewards being a scumbag.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 23, 2016

• Locked thread