Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
It's better than the first two arcs, but everything just feels really generic and bland.

All of the monsters are just big purple demon things, Mamoru has gone from endearingly ineffectual goofball to mean-spirited incompetent, both episodes have devoted about 70% of screentime to the transformations and catchphrases (much of which are directly the same as the original series, which begs a direct and unfavorable comparison), the attempts at comedy are pretty much just "put an SD face in an angular bubble on screen," the music for any non-action scenes is bland and wouldn't be out of place in a dating sim, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I must've missed the part where Mamoru's being a dick.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

I must've missed the part where Mamoru's being a dick.

His attitude at the theme park felt a lot more put-upon and lovely than I think would've in the original series. He was basically like "yeah, other guy, sorry you also got roped into this bullshit." And then, even though he had his intensely dorky communicator watch, he took about half an hour to run a block and a half in search of his missing daughter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This is a marked upswing from Season 1/2 but I don't trust Toei enough for them to keep it going for 13 episodes.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

so like he's being a dick because he isn't super exciting for being a babysitter?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

so like he's being a dick because he isn't super exciting for being a babysitter?

Sulking around and pissing and moaning while your daughter is having a great time is typically regarded as such, you goon

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

he like sighed about it once but then still made sure the kids were having as much fun as possible while also being considerate and apologetic to his pal who didn't expect that mamoru's suddenly gotta babysit, i fail to see how this is overreacting or being a dick

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I didn't really see him and being a dick at all. More of sighing because Chibi-Usa ran outside of the park by herself causing him undue stress. Like a real parent would experience but minus the immediate call to local authorities about a missing child. I am liking the battles this season a lot more. You can definitely see bits of the experience they learned from Pretty Cure in there mixed with the manga. As for the purple eldirtch monsters I'm pretty sure they were like that in the manga as well. I'm also holding out for Tuxedo Mask to start throwing roses again. With all the flowers in the OP and ED there better be some sort of flower being thrown at enemies.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't even believe Mamoru's amazing stupid watch.

Also, a Sailor Moon candy crush and/or Puzzle and Dragon type game appears in western app stores:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Goddammit I went through the trouble of getting the Japanese version of that app for nothing.

I'm holding off on Crystal S3 until its done, more of a fan of binging something than going week to week.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They couldn't get Stephanie Sheh for like two minutes?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

They couldn't get Stephanie Sheh for like two minutes?

I like the Japanese voices because I don't like baka gaijins in my phone games :japan:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I already miss smiling shadow face Tomoe.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

I thought this the entire time I watched Super S

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

a cartoon duck posted:

Does he ever do that in the manga?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lot of funny little moments this episode, both in the art and in the voice acting. Good stuff.

Plus, a scandalous kiss. :eyepop:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
drat this finally feels like Sailor Moon y'all

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
The inners sneaking around like cartoons while Michiru and Haruka are so mysterious and fabulous they practically glitter... I'm so okay with this season

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Webbeh posted:

drat this finally feels like Sailor Moon y'all

thats probably the sickest praise i've seen for this beleaguered series since it started. hell yeah.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:yeah:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, the subs were bad this week. Yikes.

But, nonetheless:
https://twitter.com/yuyucow/status/724617063000616964

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

Haruka makes me feel things

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Famine Poodle posted:

Haruka makes me feel things

Gay?

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

THAT'S what that is

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Michiru rocking out on the violin for an attack is real good.

I meant to watch S sorta concurrently but ended up finishing binging through all of it today, haha. How is Supers? Everything I've heard about the Pegasus gives me pause.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Strange Quark posted:

I meant to watch S sorta concurrently but ended up finishing binging through all of it today, haha. How is Supers? Everything I've heard about the Pegasus gives me pause.

I don't really remember it fondly, other then to tease my sister about it. It's probably about average though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The Pegasus stuff is pretty dumb though if my residual memories are right.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Legitimately the most unnerving poo poo when you're 9

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A new prep school? Well, surely this new establishment won't turn out to be evil like every new thing in town ever.

E: to be fair they know it's totally going to be evil as much as i do.

e:e: new ending too, cool.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2016

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I miss the old ending :(

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

That was a different singer for the opening too, right? Also +1 to missing the old ending, needs more space lesbians.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Strange Quark posted:

Having just gone through the entire series for the first time, Super S is clearly the lowlight, but it's still entertaining. The first three villains are pretty fun, and the finale is pretty cool. Hope you like Chibi-Usa, though, because hot drat is her stink all over that season. The interaction with Pegasus basically requires that she be present and involved in ending every battle.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No Outer Senshi theme when Uranus and Neptune transformed, instead It's some lame, unremarkable soundtrack playing :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ALFbrot posted:

Having just gone through the entire series for the first time, Super S is clearly the lowlight, but it's still entertaining. The first three villains are pretty fun, and the finale is pretty cool. Hope you like Chibi-Usa, though, because hot drat is her stink all over that season. The interaction with Pegasus basically requires that she be present and involved in ending every battle.

I thought Chibiusa was pretty fun in S, but then she was also mostly comic relief in fights, so. Guess I'll try out a few episodes sometime.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Torrannor posted:

No Outer Senshi theme when Uranus and Neptune transformed, instead It's some lame, unremarkable soundtrack playing :(

:unsmith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4758Hw5XZFs

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Why do I get the feeling that this new ending theme is setup for a third that plays more like the Madoka credits once we hit endgame and all that entails?

Dare I trust Toei to not gently caress up such a venture?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A good episode!

The subs are still so bad, alas.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Actually, I'm going to revise that both up and down. A fantastic episode and terrible subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Actually, I'm going to revise that both up and down. A fantastic episode and terrible subs.

Everyone goes down.

• Locked thread