Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

FM17 better not have a poo poo match engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Mandalay posted:

Okay, Arsene.

My team was mentally strong

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Adrianics posted:

My team was mentally strong
But physically short.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bogan Krkic posted:

FM17 better not have a poo poo match engine
it also better not have graphical assets created by a placement student, but we both know it will in fact have both those things

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They're already weeks behind schedule so it'll be a rushed mess that will somehow be better in beta than after patching. Again.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm so confused as to why they would be weeks behind schedule since I have very little appreciation of how hard the work between releases is. Wish I could glance at their project management timeline to understand.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Research phase one was supposed to start on the 15th. The database software isn't finished yet because features haven't been finalised.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Is there any way to assign some of your tasks to other staff in the FM Touch app/mode? I created a save on the iPad and can't find it so I loaded it up on the computer and it looks like it is not there either but I am new to this version of the game so I'm completely clueless.

Also, what is "Career mode" because it says its not supported in FM Touch. Does that mean you can just play a single season or is it referring to something else?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mandalay posted:

I'm so confused as to why they would be weeks behind schedule since I have very little appreciation of how hard the work between releases is. Wish I could glance at their project management timeline to understand.

T - 1 month: Copy/paste last year's code for match engine
T - 30 days: Have intern come up with a new press conference question
T - 29 days: Take a volunteer's match engine improvements for use in a beta
T - 28 days: Randomly change UI
T - 27 days: Incorporate slaves' database updates
T - 26 days: Start a beta test
T - 25 days: Send out tweets with random images from UI & ME
T - 24 days: Make videos of Miles self-fellating over new version at Vicarage Road
T - 3 days: Have intern's 3 year old nephew use MS Paint for new animations/graphics
T - 2 days: Throw out improvements to ME, add some random code
T - 0 days: Profit

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
T + 1 days: Launch day patch reverting any good match engine changes.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012
I could live with this year's engine but what really killed it for me was every fullback in the favored personnel list in 2 seasons

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Player falls over in training and gets a blood clot. Out for 5 months.
Just as well he was a Bosman, eh?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Player falls over in training and gets a blood clot. Out for 5 months.

I didn't know you could hire Arsenal's medical team.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Arsenal's medical team is another unrealistic part of the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Liverpool's squad is still going to be better than Leicester in FM17. What a joke.

Arsenal better than Spurs, too.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well I changed up my tactics based on agonizing trial and error + tips from this thread and finished 4th in the premiership as Forest Green. We were 2nd until I bottled the last two games, but still made the Champions League. As an added bonus the board finally expanded the stadium, so we shared a ground with league 1 Bristol City all season (league 1 stadium being 10k more capacity than my own). The upgrade finished, we played one game in the new stadium, and they immediately began a new upgrade, so we're spending another season ground sharing. :psyduck:

On the bright side, this means that after our 5th season in the Premiership we'll be up to a 24k capacity stadium!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've started enjoying this again and stopped noticing as many absurd scorelines, has there been another patch? Or did I just need to spend a few months not playing before getting lonely and crawling back

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've started enjoying this again and stopped noticing as many absurd scorelines, has there been another patch? Or did I just need to spend a few months not playing before getting lonely and crawling back

No changes to the match engine unfortunately.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Also started playing again. Enoying it too.

Although 16 pages in this thread is a sad state of affairs the move out of ray killed this thread.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

sassassin posted:

Liverpool's squad is still going to be better than Leicester in FM17. What a joke.

Arsenal better than Spurs, too.

I think both of those are fair enough. :shrug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

I think both of those are fair enough. :shrug:

Explain how Liverpool's players are better than Leicester's.

FM uses the top 16 players from each squad to calculate strength, and Pace/Acceleration are weighted much higher next year, so in CA-terms Vardy is going to be a monster.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

Explain how Liverpool's players are better than Leicester's.

FM uses the top 16 players from each squad to calculate strength, and Pace/Acceleration are weighted much higher next year, so in CA-terms Vardy is going to be a monster.

So are they saying Liverpool's next season squad will be be better than Leicester's or their 16 best players from this year will be better in FM17?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

So are they saying Liverpool's next season squad will be be better than Leicester's or their 16 best players from this year will be better in FM17?

The latter. Liverpool's researcher (they have one now, it's not just the research head filling in) is instructed to make a) Liverpool's current star players better than Leicester's and b) the average rating of their best 16 players from this season better than Leicester's. Summer transfers don't come into it.

Arsenal & Man City are joint highest
Then Spurs & Chelsea
United
Liverpool
Leicester
West Ham & Southampton
Stoke & Everton
Palace, Swansea, West Brom & Watford
Newcastle & Bournemouth
Norwich & Sunderland
Villa

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That's still probably fair, though. Leicester have done well this season not by having the best players, but by being very tactically organised.
Whereas Liverpool (and Man City, although lol at Raheem Sterling) probably have better technical players man-for-man, but often don't have the faintest idea what each other is doing.

You could argue that FM should reflect that players with better tactical awareness are 'better' overall. Of course, if SI did that, you'd be able to hear the whining from space.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Technical ability is only a part of a player's Current Ability rating. The biggest chunk goes to Physical Attributes (Acceleration, Agility, Pace & Stamina are generally very "expensive"), and Mental Attributes like Positioning, Teamwork, Bravery, Work-Rate etc. all add in. Football Manager does take into account those things.

What players do Liverpool or United have that are better than Jamie loving Vardy who's lightning quick, runs all day and never gives up, and has top class finishing? What strength in depth actually exists in their squads these days?

It's a disgrace and even though I hate Leicester I'm not happy.

You're right, though, it's to keep the plastics happy. Players and researchers. Surprised Mile's beloved Watford are so low actually.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've been given a transfer budget of $90 million and after selling Payet and Berardi for a combined $120 million I have stacks of cash, but I'm not in the Champions League so no one better wants to join. How do I spend my money I've never had this kind of money to spend before

Also, I don't think its too bad to suggest that Leicester have the 7th best first team squad in the PL, they've won the title on determination and organisation, not on individual ability. Arsenal, City and Liverpool man for man have better players outside of maybe 3 or 4 Leicester players, but are shambling along due to a lack of leadership and stagnation at the clubs. I don't think Villa have the worst squad in the league either, its just that they don't anyone on or off the pitch that seems to care.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As long as the Leicester researcher has free rein to make players like Mahrez, Vardy, and Kante among the best in the league I'm actually reasonably okay with them not being given as much strength in depth. Fact is they didn't win the title through the depth of their squad, they won it by having a really good core of players that play phenomenally together, and then luck with injuries and a non-crowded fixture list meant they could play the same team featuring those players week-in, week-out. Players like Okazaki and Ulloa and Albrighton played their parts but it wasn't them who won the title and I'm fine with them not getting put among the best players in the league just because Leicester won the title.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

As long as the Leicester researcher has free rein to make players like Mahrez, Vardy, and Kante among the best in the league

He doesn't. Coutinho will be better than all of them because he's probably the best player Liverpool fans can think of.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

He doesn't. Coutinho will be better than all of them because he's probably the best player Liverpool fans can think of.

Well in that case this is complete bullshit. Coutinho's a good player and I like him but there's no chance he should be better than Mahrez in FM Land.

I hope the Leicester researcher games the system the way the researchers used to by maxing out the important stats and giving all 1s in the unimportant ones so that Vardy still hits 20 a season.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

What are SI basing their decision to make Liverpool's best players better than Leicester's best players on? Just something they thought?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

Liverpool man for man have better players outside of maybe 3 or 4 Leicester players, but are shambling along due to a lack of leadership and stagnation at the clubs. I don't think Villa have the worst squad in the league either, its just that they don't anyone on or off the pitch that seems to care.

Huth and Morgan are better than all of Liverpool's centrebacks. Mahrez better than Coutinho. Vardy better than Sturridge. Kante better than Henderson riding Can's shoulders. Schmeichel is way better than Mignolet. Fuchs is better than Moreno. Drinkwater, Albrighton, Schlupp (really fast so that's good in FM)... Nathan Dyer?

Andy King's gonna win the Euros (edit: but so is Joe Allen so I guess that's a tie).

sassassin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 3, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jyrka posted:

What are SI basing their decision to make Liverpool's best players better than Leicester's best players on? Just something they thought?

It's usually based on the league table with Liverpool boosted up into a special category because they're a "big team", this season they've picked it out of Howard Webb's hat or something idk.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

How does club reputation work?

Got Mansfield into the prem, fluked a godlike run at the end of last season to sneak 2nd in the championship while Peterborough threw away every game they could. Problem is my team was barely good enough for the championship and I can barely tempt anyone that woud be considered good in the championship let alone prem quality. Is this just a "your odds are 5000-1" maybe if you survive we will join and will be more reasonable next season or is this fms way of saying win the champs league then maybe you can sign a player from wolves?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Reputation doesn't update until like June or something. If it's still May, wait a bit longer and see if it gets easier to lure them.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Belgian Cup final got postponed a couple of times because some idiot thought that having it during an International week was a good idea.
Anyway, in his press conference before the game, the manager of our opposition decided to comment on how unworthy we were for praise - pure luck, apparently, that we'd got so far. I guess the way we'd already clinched the Belgian League title with half a dozen games remaining was pretty lucky. And the way we'd made our way to the Champions League Quarter-Finals? Also lucky.

Unfortunately, by having the game postponed twice, it meant that my weekend squad - the ones who only lost one league match all season - would NOT be the ones facing his team. Rather, it would be midweek XI that had made it to the Champions League QFs and won at least half of our Cup games, who would be playing the game.

Good try, opposition manager. But you're worse at mind games than Kevin Keegan.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://streamable.com/kd39

i lost this game btw

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is gauld On A Goal Drought? the game will literally bug out to make sure a player doesnt score if they're On A Goal Drought

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

"your odds are 5000-1"

Hey, maybe you'll win the league?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Does anyone actually do anything when your fitness guy tells you players are "exhausted and in need of a long rest"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Coohoolin posted:

Does anyone actually do anything when your fitness guy tells you players are "exhausted and in need of a long rest"?

I tell the player Im gonna rest him then he gets mad at me and says he doesnt need a rest so I tell him he knows his body better than the physio and he can play