Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Pontiff is super interesting to me, lore-wise.

He's one of the few bosses across all the soulsborne games that's actively planning and doing things, along with like... Nashandra? and maybe Seathe? Most others are just guarding wherever. But the Pontiff is working with Aldritch to prepare for whatever comes after the fire dies, with himself on top and in control. Also he's super loving creepy. Like he sends his outrider knights out, wearing these rings that encourage them to just mindlessly attack so they become crazed beasts, while maybe keeping an eye on them with the doll? And a bunch of other stuff, like what was going on with the Dancer.

But you only learn any of this from reading item descriptions. Just going by the game, he's some random boff.

For some reason I also kind of feel like he tore Anor Londo out of where ever it was and anchored it to the Valley. Somehow. Or maybe just that he took advantage of it appearing there? Or maybe it was always there and the Valley was built around it. Or...

I almost feel like Anor Londo and Lothric switched places. Like Lothric should be connected to/above the Valley, and Anor Londo still up on that mountain. Probably I'm crazy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Spiritus Nox posted:

Something I've been wondering - is there any lore at all that makes any mention of the black goo dragon things? I've had a theory that they're the spirits of the ancient dragons migrating between hosts and occasionally bursting out to gently caress poo poo up, but that's pure speculation on my part.

It's the abyss, which is closer than ever thanks to, you know, the dude not linking the fire.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Popelmon posted:

I'm pretty new to Dark Souls (finished 2 right before 3 was released, finished 3 and I'm playing 1 now) and I have a question for the veterans: Is it me or is it loving impossible to trigger jump attacks reliably? In all 3 games it has been a gamble if up+RT would actually trigger the jump attack or if it would just launch the normal R2 attack. Or maybe my 360 controller is broken?

In 3 they made it so you can do an R2 jumping attack by pressing R2 while sprinting, which is usually easier to do. I think the more frustrating combat option to be locked behind an inconsistent button combo is the shield kick, which can be devastating in an instant.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

In 3 they made it so you can do an R2 jumping attack by pressing R2 while sprinting, which is usually easier to do. I think the more frustrating combat option to be locked behind an inconsistent button combo is the shield kick, which can be devastating in an instant.

Yeah, I always gently caress it up. Either I want to kick and end up just uselessly clanging off their shield, or I want to attack and just end up kicking the air impotently.

Also I got my 30 vertebrae.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Sorcerers -- do Farron Dart // Great Farron Dart ever become worthwhile to use? They're nigh-useless in PVE so I imagine they're PVP spells, but even GFD does like 30-40 damage a pop at 35 int.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where can I find a piece of Titanite Slab? My Dark Sword is +9 and I want to bring it up to 10.

Currently in the Grand Archives

Also, how many are in the game?

Second question, Is the stat cap 40 for STR? I just hit it and I see I can go further but does it lose it's efficacy beyond 40? Should I just forcus on Endurance/Vit? ?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah it wasn't too bad in 3, I actually used the R2 charge a lot. I'm trying to kill the dragon at the beginning of DS1 right now and the unreliability of the combo is really in this fight.

In 3 I have died to a few knights when the shield kick turned into an impotent R1 attack so I absolutely agree with you on that.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm liking the Demon's Souls items making a comeback again, blessed weapons with regenerator's ring and adjudicator's shield sun princess ring and ancient dragon greatshield for HP regen builds. Pity there's no Vinland/Velstadt armour this time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

m.hache posted:

Where can I find a piece of Titanite Slab? My Dark Sword is +9 and I want to bring it up to 10.

I counted four. One's given to you near the end of Siegward's quest. You should be able to find another one very shortly. When you reach the Archives' final shortcut (it's at the end of a lengthy enemy gauntlet and it'll take you back to the Dragonslayer Armor area), trigger the elevator at the bottom and then quickly roll off like you did at the Giant's Tower in the Undead Settlement. A second elevator will come up from below and take you to the Slab.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

m.hache posted:

Second question, Is the stat cap 40 for STR? I just hit it and I see I can go further but does it lose it's efficacy beyond 40? Should I just forcus on Endurance/Vit? ?

There is one in your area. A switch on the upper level lowers a book shelf near wax bassin on the ground floor.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Brannock posted:

Sorcerers -- do Farron Dart // Great Farron Dart ever become worthwhile to use? They're nigh-useless in PVE so I imagine they're PVP spells, but even GFD does like 30-40 damage a pop at 35 int.

not really but you can quickly chain Farron Dart and also use it while running so that's p nice

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Does poise do anything at all in this game?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

Pontiff is super interesting to me, lore-wise.

He's one of the few bosses across all the soulsborne games that's actively planning and doing things, along with like... Nashandra? and maybe Seathe? Most others are just guarding wherever. But the Pontiff is working with Aldritch to prepare for whatever comes after the fire dies, with himself on top and in control. Also he's super loving creepy. Like he sends his outrider knights out, wearing these rings that encourage them to just mindlessly attack so they become crazed beasts, while maybe keeping an eye on them with the doll? And a bunch of other stuff, like what was going on with the Dancer.

But you only learn any of this from reading item descriptions. Just going by the game, he's some random boff.

For some reason I also kind of feel like he tore Anor Londo out of where ever it was and anchored it to the Valley. Somehow. Or maybe just that he took advantage of it appearing there? Or maybe it was always there and the Valley was built around it. Or...

I almost feel like Anor Londo and Lothric switched places. Like Lothric should be connected to/above the Valley, and Anor Londo still up on that mountain. Probably I'm crazy though.

most of the bosses come off as kinda just sitting there if you don't pay attention or read item descriptions.

even some people in this thread didn't realize the first boss in ds2, the last giant, was the giant lord, the boss you fight way later in a memory of a past time despite them being the only giants that large and the last giant flipping the gently caress out when you see him. aldrich is a similar kind of thing where the name and design tell you a lot he's the Devourer of the Gods and attacks you using Gwyndolin's body. i helped someone through the nameless king fight and they didn't even figure it out after reading the item descriptions.

you'll actually see people say the games have no story or lore or whatever due to the fact it isn't fed to you in cutscenes it's bizarre.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe the implication is that they're Irithyll outriders transforming into beasts, like Vordt.

they're weird lovely dragon transformation experiments
related to that though is that the dogs in irithyll aren't actually dogs. take a look at their heads- they're fuckin' people aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Brannock posted:

no and they're also trash in pvp too because anyone running away to estus can just estus so quickly that theyll eat a hit while drinking and heal to full anyhow

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Pity there's no Vinland/Velstadt armour this time.

Welp, can't believe I didn't think of that before, hopefully we get some Garl throwback set in DLC somewhere.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

I loving love this game.

:suicide:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Edit: ^ this seems to happen to me more in Dark Souls 3 than any other game, it's almost like their attacks are just a tiiiny bit faster when you're about to kill them

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I honestly can't tell, but on my NG+ SL99 character, I have 31 poise and I can't remember the last time something knocked me over

It just so happens that the fattest looking armor also has the most Poise :allears:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Comfiest loving game
Won both my fights too :buddy:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

From what anyone can tell, all poise does is make your super-armor attacks give you more unbreakable frames. Only a small amount of weapons have super-armor so no one ever really notices it.

Don't build for poise.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

most of the bosses come off as kinda just sitting there if you don't pay attention or read item descriptions.

even some people in this thread didn't realize the first boss in ds2, the last giant, was the giant lord, the boss you fight way later in a memory of a past time despite them being the only giants that large and the last giant flipping the gently caress out when you see him. aldrich is a similar kind of thing where the name and design tell you a lot he's the Devourer of the Gods and attacks you using Gwyndolin's body. i helped someone through the nameless king fight and they didn't even figure it out after reading the item descriptions.

you'll actually see people say the games have no story or lore or whatever due to the fact it isn't fed to you in cutscenes it's bizarre.

That's true, but most bosses, at the time you go and kill them, actually ARE just sitting there. Like for the majority, they're either mindless beasts/demons/hollows, or their ambition is to claim a territory and kill any challengers.
Like the giant lord- in the memory he's doing poo poo, leading an invasion, but as last giant he's all but dead and just hanging out in this hole until he sees you.

It fits the nature of the world/series- everything's dead/dying, it's all winding down. Even the bosses are just waiting until the end.

Very few bosses have actual goals and are actively trying to achieve them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Two things from my latest invasion:

1) no one EVER sees the caestus parry coming.

2) If you act like a puss and hide behind your phantoms or in fortified positions, your "friendly" mad phantom summon WILL turn on your because he's bored.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Babe Magnet posted:

From what anyone can tell, all poise does is make your super-armor attacks give you more unbreakable frames. Only a small amount of weapons have super-armor so no one ever really notices it.

Don't build for poise.

it doesn't actually seem to do this as far as anyone can tell from testing it.

the only thing people have 100% for sure confirmed is it gives you more frames where you can't get hitstunned at the end of your roll.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Poise gives larger numbers in a stat screen.

I'm level 25 and in the darkmoon blades, standing around not getting any hits at all, lemme tell you my feelings on DS3 PvP one month into the game's life.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You are way too low level for darkmoon.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Mazerunner posted:

That's true, but most bosses, at the time you go and kill them, actually ARE just sitting there. Like for the majority, they're either mindless beasts/demons/hollows, or their ambition is to claim a territory and kill any challengers.
Like the giant lord- in the memory he's doing poo poo, leading an invasion, but as last giant he's all but dead and just hanging out in this hole until he sees you.

It fits the nature of the world/series- everything's dead/dying, it's all winding down. Even the bosses are just waiting until the end.

Very few bosses have actual goals and are actively trying to achieve them.

Lothric had a goal; sit back with my bro and watch the world burn!

On that note, is it ever explained or implied anywhere why Nameless King attacks you, aside from being a dragon-loving prick?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Archdragon Peak boss can gently caress right off, every god drat lovely camera Souls boss rolled in to one.

More like Arsedragon Peak

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Alright, I'm kinda lost. Just took down Aldrich with some help, Yhorm i think is last on my sights, Where the hell is this Ithryll dungeon?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Can you still aim spells with binoculars?

This is from like 10 pages ago but I saw one or two people say no, which is wrong. The answer is yes, you can aim spells (well sorceries at least) with binoculars.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Game's been network erroring like crazy on Xbone for a few hours now, anyone else? Infinite loading screens all the time and it's throwing me back into menu from most pvp encounters now, gäh

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

jvilmi posted:

Game's been network erroring like crazy on Xbone for a few hours now, anyone else? Infinite loading screens all the time and it's throwing me back into menu from most pvp encounters now, gäh

It's Xbox Live having issues for the last few hours

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

You are way too low level for darkmoon.

On the 18th minute, I got summoned. Only to find the statbar to the left indicating the host died before I got in. Farts.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

On that note, is it ever explained or implied anywhere why Nameless King attacks you, aside from being a dragon-loving prick?

Not directly. I think the implication is that by ringing the bell you're challenging him to a deathmatch. Somehow. For some reason.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, I'm kinda lost. Just took down Aldrich with some help, Yhorm i think is last on my sights, Where the hell is this Ithryll dungeon?

I can't remember exactly the details of how to get there did you get to the lake, underneath the entrance bridge? There's a building near the sewers that lead to where Sieg was in the kitchen.

Sakurazuka posted:

Archdragon Peak boss can gently caress right off, every god drat lovely camera Souls boss rolled in to one.

More like Arsedragon Peak

Don't lock on, and stand close to but in front of his head

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mazerunner posted:

Not directly. I think the implication is that by ringing the bell you're challenging him to a deathmatch. Somehow. For some reason.

I can't remember exactly the details of how to get there did you get to the lake, underneath the entrance bridge? There's a building near the sewers that lead to where Sieg was in the kitchen.

Don't lock on, and stand close to but in front of his head

Oh, so where I found two different ashes, and some really hosed up monsters?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Lothric had a goal; sit back with my bro and watch the world burn!

You kind of just killed a dragon before visiting so

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i assume he's fighting you because you came on his turf and started killing everyone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fargin Icehole posted:

Tower by the dam on the lake. FYI you can't get in if you have a summon with you (but can summon in the dungeon proper).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao at the red phantoms attacking my purple rear end while I'm trying to fight the host

if you were a mound maker, maybe but I'm trying to make your job easier my man

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Not that I've really noticed. But then again, I also wear the Firekeeper torso because I think it looks nice so I just have no poise to begin with. :shrug:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Someone family share the game to an alt account and cheat engine your poise to the cap and see if it does anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

ShadowMar posted:

the only thing people have 100% for sure confirmed is it gives you more frames where you can't get hitstunned at the end of your roll.

This is the only benefit I've seen from it, which is way bigger than it ought to be in PvP.

Does having huge armor change the hitbox at all? I feel like people over-estimate where I'm at because of my magnificent girth