Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

At the WG PAX afterparty. Guess what's coming back to tanks?

The T-50-2.

(Only on console)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vorkosigan posted:

The T-50-2.

(Only on console)

Top speed, downhill, sharp turn, octuple barrel roll :allears:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vorkosigan posted:

The T-50-2.

(Only on console)

Cocktease.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Dox023 posted:

As one of those older players who came back to WoT, owns a type 59, and has upwards of 650 games in it this is pretty accurate.

I don't think I have ever been ammo racked in it before, nor have a large amount of my shots hit the dirt rather than where I aim. I have however been set on fire and burned to a horrible death, but that's because I run cheap gas instead of a fire extinguisher.

Literally never run gas over an extinguisher

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

primelaw posted:

In 650 games I think I got set on fire like 3 times. I figure it's an acceptable risk. Unless you have a good reason not to it helps with the acceleration issues in the 59.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Type 59 only has a mythic rep because:

1) When it originally came out, it was the best T8 premium option by far (far more fun than the Lowe, and there weren't that many Clownshoes around), and at only 7500g it was a relative bargain.
2) It was a T-54 with the T-44's gun, and before power creep came in and its armor was nerfed, it was pretty OP for a premium.
3) People - from purples to lipstick-red shitlers - played almost nothing else when playing casually and built up amazing crews on them, which up to present day allows even the shittiest old player to have a bit of an edge over the average player's 'not even 100% crew' or 1-2 1/2 skill crew tanks.
4) They've taken on a 'rarity' simply because the thousands of people who bought them ~back in the day~ quit won tanks a long time ago.
5) Newer players see friends and older players raving about theirs for reasons 1-3, and they're pissed they can't get one.

The only reason I never bought one way back when was that I was convinced we were going to wait forever for Chinese tanks, and I had my Lowe.

More importantly , it existed before gold rounds could be bought with credits and power creep hadn't shown up. If a Type was top tier there was an good chance it was immune to half the enemy team.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

CitizenKain posted:

More importantly , it existed before gold rounds could be bought with credits and power creep hadn't shown up. If a Type was top tier there was an good chance it was immune to half the enemy team.

I remember trying to fight a Type 59 in my Hellcat. It was basically impossible to reasonably damage it, and even if you could pen it by getting close enough to hit drivewheels, you would just get murdered after firing twice.

And now 240 pen APCR makes a mockery of its armor. Still, I've baked a cake and already carved a rough LTraktor shape, now I just need to mix up the frosting and food coloring and go to town.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

primelaw posted:

Artillery. Literally your only defense is driving away before enemies get near you.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

CitizenKain posted:

Also, a whole bunch of people driving Lowes turn into a bunch of people fighting over a sniping rock in the back, while a whole bunch of people driving Type 59s with its reputation of immunity turned into a wolfpack by default (because everyone got to the enemy at the same time).

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

Ramsus posted:

I actually prefer the fv4202.

It's not like the 4202 is any better. The few times that I've played it, I was insta-penned several times by tier 6 mediums.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Except you should run food over gas if you're not going to run an extinguisher, because at least with food you have a distinct advantage in all areas versus only the acceleration.

And y'all don't know arty focus until you turn purple, that's when it gets really crappy.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

pun pundit posted:

Also, a whole bunch of people driving Lowes turn into a bunch of people fighting over a sniping rock in the back, while a whole bunch of people driving Type 59s with its reputation of immunity turned into a wolfpack by default (because everyone got to the enemy at the same time).

I only remember seeing a couple of images that showed why they removed it from the store. Literally every battle was just a type 59 slugfest. Wish I bought one when I had the chance :(

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I remember when it first appeared on the test server and went "yeah guys, this thing sucks". That was mostly based on the low ammo count. However, unlike the test server where I actually did run out of shells, in the real world, you rarely get through 3/4th of your shells before the battle ends.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Well, that and the first test version actually being kinda bad. Something like a pre-buff T-34-3 but with the D-10T.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

primelaw posted:

Except you should run food over gas if you're not going to run an extinguisher, because at least with food you have a distinct advantage in all areas versus only the acceleration.
I run premium gas and chocolate instead of extinguisher and medkit on my Luchs. I just like the idea of squeezing every last little bit of juice out of that little monster.

A minimum 40k credit resupply bill after every battle gets a bit expensive, but hey whatever.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

primelaw posted:

And y'all don't know arty focus until you turn purple, that's when it gets really crappy.

Fair enough, I mainly run my 59 for doubles and to level the crew as well as occasionally making credits. The 59 prints money though so I could still turn a big profit running food.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

primelaw posted:

I used to run cola, but now I don't have premium, so I already lose money on my M12 even with just gas. Once my tax return comes in I think I will buy gold and premium, and then I'll run cola again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tank cake gauntlet thrown down

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/494164-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too-contest/page__st__60__pid__10063352#entry10063352

it is delicious

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I dunno man that looks more like a Cunningham to me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^^ That LTraktor is awesome.

Cake chat. :toot:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Nordick posted:

I was thinking it looks a bit like the FV215 183...

Either way, it's beautiful! Not quite as beautiful as Eargesplitten but it's a close second!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

deathbagel posted:

Either way, it's beautiful! Not quite as beautiful as Eargesplitten but it's a close second!

:wink:

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Saw this happen...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nordick posted:

deathbagel posted:

Whatever tank it is, it definitely isn't a WG imaginary paper tank. I've developed a prototype.

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

SpiDeR posted:

Saw this happen...

How in the gently caress does someone manage to flip a tog.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

brodoyouevengif posted:

How in the gently caress does someone manage to flip a tog.

It is very easy to back up rock walls and even sheer building sides because new physics, and once you're up, trying to flatten out just sends you higher.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The T59 seems worse than it used to be. On the other hand, I'm worse than I used to be and it was always really easy to kill bad T59s.

Your ammo rack on the 59 is in your turret. If a KV-3 is hitting your ammo rack, you're getting shot in the back or side of it, which means you're getting flanked. That's bad for any tank.

There's a rack behind the lower glacis on the side opposite the driver. Real easy to hit if you're shooting for the lower plate from the front anyway.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

deathbagel posted:

Yea, it's a good tank, it's just not the "OMG Broken Russian Bias Tank!!!!11!" that pubbies think it is. It's just that many of the people who have them have been playing forever and aren't completely retarded so they play them decently. Credit gold shells also made them a lot less impressive since most tanks can just switch over to gold and pen it without worrying about hitting the right spots.

I am a ancient world of tanks player, and my type has a five skill crew, which is pretty OP. I once claimed it never got ammo racked, then I got racked twice back to back. So one skill is safe storage, the crew holidays in the WZ120 which makes that pretty good. I still sometimes get" we have a type 59 so we will win" in chat sometimes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
There is no arty focus like being a purple in a type 59.

All the people claiming it's not a good tank or easy to deal with are wrong, though. Sure it's not as good a tank as the Pershing or CDC, but it's a better experience when you factor in not having to face t10s, and it's a better tank than almost all the other t8 mediums, premium or not.

The acceleration is poor but the top speed is good and it reaches it without trouble. The accuracy isn't good but unlike the Japanese mediums it doesn't give you a false sense of accuracy and the rest of the tank works well enough to get you in close and let the reticle settle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Desuwa posted:

There is no arty focus like being a purple [in any tank].

Fixed that for you. I can't even fault people for doing it, either.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mikemelbrooks posted:

I am a ancient world of tanks player, and my type has a five skill crew, which is pretty OP. I once claimed it never got ammo racked, then I got racked twice back to back. So one skill is safe storage, the crew holidays in the WZ120 which makes that pretty good. I still sometimes get" we have a type 59 so we will win" in chat sometimes.

I didn't know you could even get to 5. I thought it maxed out at 3.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

SpiDeR posted:

Saw this happen...

i wish i was careless enough while playing this game i would really like to "be that guy" that flips his tank (any tank even big arty) on its side every battle but..ya know thats not good for stats id get too depressed while having fun lol

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Fixed that for you. I can't even fault people for doing it, either.

Oh no, I frequently bitch about that, but the Type 59 engenders a special level of attention from pubbies.

And yeah, it's the optimal way to play the game. Doubly so when your skill is low. A 43% shitter in arty is contributing more to his team by sitting on me all game until I poke a sliver out from behind a rock than he is by taking poorly aimed shots at other players on my team. Good players in arty actually focus on me less (when I'm in cover they're not waiting multiple minutes for me to slip out) because they realize when I'm not going to make myself vulnerable, at least for a little while.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 24, 2016

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I was sure I had at least one crew member with 5 skills, but nope. The two that are close were aptly renamed a long time ago :ussr:

Still not too late to do brothers in arms (it is)

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I didn't know you could even get to 5. I thought it maxed out at 3.

They added a bunch of skills for each crew member back in 2012 or something like that. Some of them are pointless to train, but sadly there's nothing else to train half of the time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A Handed Missus posted:

I was sure I had at least one crew member with 5 skills, but nope. The two that are close were aptly renamed a long time ago :ussr:

Still not too late to do brothers in arms (it is)

They hosed up my prime Russian crew's names a long time ago. I had Semen Gushin, Semen Ishutin, and Mikhail Kuntsevich. Can't remember the others.

EDIT: Yakov Smirnov and Sergey Bugay, but they remained unchanged.

For the Germans, I went with Reinhard Assmann and Gunnar Schutze. "Max Assmann" would also work, in hindsight.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 24, 2016

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Type 59 only has a mythic rep because:

1) When it originally came out, it was the best T8 premium option by far (far more fun than the Lowe, and there weren't that many Clownshoes around), and at only 7500g it was a relative bargain.
2) It was a T-54 with the T-44's gun, and before power creep came in and its armor was nerfed, it was pretty OP for a premium.
3) People - from purples to lipstick-red shitlers - played almost nothing else when playing casually and built up amazing crews on them, which up to present day allows even the shittiest old player to have a bit of an edge over the average player's 'not even 100% crew' or 1-2 1/2 skill crew tanks.
4) They've taken on a 'rarity' simply because the thousands of people who bought them ~back in the day~ quit won tanks a long time ago.
5) Newer players see friends and older players raving about theirs for reasons 1-3, and they're pissed they can't get one.

The only reason I never bought one way back when was that I was convinced we were going to wait forever for Chinese tanks, and I had my Lowe.

I totally agree. As someone who has another 2 tier 8 premium meds (4202P and FCM50T, and yes the latter is a big fat medium), I haven't played my 59 in a couple of months because the other 2 are just straight up more fun and farm better with high penetration regular ammo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For the Germans, I went with Reinhard Assmann and Gunnar Schutze. "Max Assmann" would also work, in hindsight.

If I had the cash I'd rename my E-100 crew to Levi, Goldstein, Blumenthal, Liebgott, Rosenberg, and Jung. The last survivors of Barracks D, who overwhelmed the SS troops assigned to guard the only E-100 prototype they'd just finished slave labouring over, and drove it all the way to Berlin - where they personally sent Hitler to hell.

They called themselves the Semite Squad.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 24, 2016

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Are you on NA? If so that's too bad, I think you'd fit right in with the 2PAC leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

If I had the cash I'd rename my E-100 crew to Levi, Goldstein, Blumenthal, Liebgott, Rosenberg, and Jung. The last survivors of Barracks D, who overwhelmed the SS troops assigned to guard the only E-100 prototype they'd just finished slave labouring over, and drove it all the way to Berlin - where they personally sent Hitler to hell.

lmao this is good