Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

stubblyhead posted:

My morning has been questionable up til now, but now that I know of the existence of Batzarro things are turning around.

MALB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The upside-down pouches are a nice touch.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It occurred to me while watching some dudes put up a new gas station sign that "MART" is short for "MARKET". That's my whole story, a quick google search both confirms and denies and I don't care about etymology so

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

It occurred to me while watching some dudes put up a new gas station sign that "MART" is short for "MARKET".

Or, quite possibly, it isn't.

e: In the sense that first you had the English word market and then English-speakers shortened it to mart. It's possible of course.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Or, quite possibly, it isn't.

e: In the sense that first you had the English word market and then English-speakers shortened it to mart. It's possible of course.

Market is from Old French marchiet. Mart is from Middle Dutch markt. Both are originally from Latin mercatus. If you have the thought "hey, this modern English word sounds a lot like this other modern English word", it's almost never the case that one is a neologism based on the other. Shared etymology or false cognates are far more likely.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you have the thought "hey, this modern English word sounds a lot like this other modern English word", it's almost never the case that one is a neologism based on the other. Shared etymology or false cognates are far more likely.

Especially since the entire history of England consists of being conquered by everyone all the time so you'd get huge amounts of different (sometimes repeating) foreign influences. It's completely possible that a few dozen Middle Dutchians conquered England several times but no-one noticed because the next wave was already on its way.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Especially since the entire history of England consists of being conquered by everyone all the time so you'd get huge amounts of different (sometimes repeating) foreign influences. It's completely possible that a few dozen Middle Dutchians conquered England several times but no-one noticed because the next wave was already on its way.

Well, we probably inherited it via the Germans.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Well, we probably inherited it via the Germans.

Oh yeah I bet they invaded a buncha times too. Very welcoming place, England. I'd visit some day but I don't want to have to lord it over all those natives :(

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
People should just listen to "The history of English" podcast if that stuff fascinates them. There's a lot of times where the same word enters English twice via Germanic languages and then again through French, and you can tell the difference because the stupid french couldn't pronounce W's so it's Guillame not William and 'guardian,' not 'warden' but we have both now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

People should just listen to "The history of English" podcast if that stuff fascinates them. There's a lot of times where the same word enters English twice via Germanic languages and then again through French, and you can tell the difference because the stupid french couldn't pronounce W's so it's Guillame not William and 'guardian,' not 'warden' but we have both now.

Did the same happen with GIF and JIF?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Careful now. You're going to spark a nerd holy war with that.

(I pronounce it JGIF)

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Or guarantee and warranty. I noticed this when i was too dumb to figure out how to open the packaging on a camera memory card and started to just read the trilingual fine print on the back as if that was going to help somehow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

french couldn't pronounce W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYT0QcI-9Q

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My uncle was a ship engineer & did a lot of travel to oversee the actual constructions of the ships. He had a colleague surnamed Høst. The French had a very hard time with that name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Snapchat A Titty posted:

My uncle was a ship engineer & did a lot of travel to oversee the actual constructions of the ships. He had a colleague surnamed Høst. The French had a very hard time with that name.

I'm reasonably sure the ø sound or something close to it exists in French. Maybe the French just don't like Germanic peoples.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Seems like they would just say 'ost.

edit: I don't think anyone outside of Scandinavia knows how to pronounce Ø, I had to look it up myself.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jerry Cotton posted:

"gif" is an Old English word; it's apparently pronounced "yiff".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm reasonably sure the ø sound or something close to it exists in French. Maybe the French just don't like Germanic peoples.

No yeah ø is similar to how the french pronounce the vowel combo eu. But only people who are familiar with both languages know that. Then there's the mute initial H & the -st ending & you're left with a vowel you aren't familiar with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Besesoth posted:

"gif" is an Old English word; it's apparently pronounced "yiff".

Fun fact: if you're reading an OE text and don't know a verb it's absolutely safe to just assume it means to kill.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

irl gif is pronounced hrefff. Like how a spaniard would pronounce Xef.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I pronounce it kihvi in case anyone is interested.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

I pronounce it kihvi in case anyone is interested.

yeah but youre finnish though right? Afaik Finland is an inferno of sweaters, vodka, knife fights, & saunas. All men have long hair like they were in an 80s metal band, and all women are wider than they're tall. Everybody is an expert sniper & the elected officials look like they were born too soon or have baby alcohol syndrome .

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ech that sounds kinda harsh. I don't believe even half of that, but that's the danish stereotype of finns.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nah that was Jif and Cif.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah that was Jif and Cif.

Wow. I never realized we use peanut butter as a cleaning agent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hopefully not vice-versa, although it would explain the current economic woes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My Bloody Valentine

My Funny Valentine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you come to Europe do not buy Cif thinking it is peanut butter.

Not a good idea.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Inzombiac posted:

My Bloody Valentine

My Funny Valentine.

What?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My Bloody Valentine is the name of both a band and a slasher movie, which is probably a play on My Funny Valentine, a jazz standard from the late 1930s.

At least that's what I assume they meant.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

My Bloody Valentine is the name of both a band and a slasher movie, which is probably a play on My Funny Valentine, a jazz standard from the late 1930s.

At least that's what I assume they meant.

Also you give valentines hearts and hearts pump blood.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought My Bloody Valentine was about the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre but then what do I know.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They were asked before if it was a reference to the film and Kevin said it wasn't and if I remember correctly didn't offer an explanation as to where it came from.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

EmmyOk posted:

They were asked before if it was a reference to the film and Kevin said it wasn't and if I remember correctly didn't offer an explanation as to where it came from.

Well he is the laziest man in music.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Monkey posted:

Also you give valentines hearts and hearts pump blood.

What? That doesn't make any sense.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
I just realized that "podcast" is a portmanteau of iPod and broadcast.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

All on Black posted:

Thread title. Personal On Demand (POD) broadcast, afaik.
Wait no Google backs you up. Where the hell did I hear this?

E: OK so Microsoft tried to make up their own etymology for it. Wonderful.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Apr 25, 2016

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
Makes sense to me. I imagine other tech companies don't love using an Apple term for something that has become somewhat ubiquitous nowadays.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Phlegmish posted:

Seems like they would just say 'ost.

edit: I don't think anyone outside of Scandinavia knows how to pronounce Ø, I had to look it up myself.

Germans do :colbert: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All on Black posted:

I'm still not sure what a podcast is but if I ever bother to look it up, I'll post in this thread.