Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

LLSix posted:

How do you win a culture victory? I've producing over 300 tourism a turn in 1700 and my influence is still falling with this civ. (I'd post a screenshot but for some reason print screen isn't working). I can win any other kind of victory but I've never even come close to a culture win.

While I'm asking for advice - is there a way to play that doesn't devolve into having to wipe out half the world just to get them to stop attacking me? I usually end up with at least half the world as puppets just because the idiots won't stop attacking and won't make peace even when I consistently crush their attacks.

You don't win a culture victory before the Modern Era at best. And if you're still losing with a Civ, it's probably because they're running Culture - check how their tourism is affecting you. If it's going up, they're beating you and you either need to step up your game against them, or knock them down a peg or six. If it isn't, then they're probably in a Golden Age.

As for avoiding war? Be prepared for it. Have an army on your borders, and if someone starts poking at them, move your units over there as a deterrent. The AI can respect that, though some of them may see it as a challenge (Aztecs, Mongols...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Every victory condition in this game is a domination victory, since anyone you're defeating can stop you doing it by crushing you militarily.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There is always one AI that pumps culture, you can tourism bomb them with great musicians. Closed borders? No problem, just declare war.

Once the AI gets its boxers around its head it'll never give up. You'll be spammed with denounces and insults until you wipe them out completely. They only consider raw army strength, I think, so if you have a small group of units, that could hold off indefinitely using superior position and terrain, the AI will compare your numbers and decide it has the advantage.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

LLSix posted:

How do you win a culture victory?

You save up Faith points until your Tourism production is about as high as it's going to get (Post-Internet, basically) and then you buy as many Great Musicians as possible and send them to the most difficult Tourism target and do concerts. Make sure you pick up one of the ways to allow you to buy Great Musicians along the way.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

LLSix posted:

How do you win a culture victory?

Go full Piety, get Mosques, Pagodas and either Cathedrals or Monasteries, then pick Sacred Sites and spam cities everywhere.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or be France, fill out Aesthetics and pump wonders like a madman. Oh, unlock and build the Louvre for that sweet +16 combo bonus too.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Don't listen to these crazy people. The easiest path to a Cultural Victory is to reduce your nearest neighbor to one city then conquer the rest of the world. If for some reason you didn't go down this path; then just use nuclear weapons to wipe out all the cities of the civs that have too much culture then take their capitals!

If you can't tell I prefer domination victory, because I covet everyone's land.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Or be France, fill out Aesthetics and pump wonders like a madman. Oh, unlock and build the Louvre for that sweet +16 combo bonus too.

Never be France.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

berryjon posted:

With the Goon pack, is this thing supposed to happen, where a City State doesn't get founded, but instead stays a Settler?

Because that Settler is Hong Kong.

This happens without mods, too! :eng101: It's just unbelievably, extremely rare. In the thousand-something hours I've played this game, I've seen it happen like twice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The way I usually win Culture Victories is by dominating in culture with every other civ except one and then just pushing the last one's poo poo in.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

LLSix posted:

How do you win a culture victory? I've producing over 300 tourism a turn in 1700 and my influence is still falling with this civ. (I'd post a screenshot but for some reason print screen isn't working). I can win any other kind of victory but I've never even come close to a culture win.

While I'm asking for advice - is there a way to play that doesn't devolve into having to wipe out half the world just to get them to stop attacking me? I usually end up with at least half the world as puppets just because the idiots won't stop attacking and won't make peace even when I consistently crush their attacks.

Basically, that one civ is winning the culture war, so you need to find a way to gently caress up their ability to do that. Cities produce Culture and Tourism, and it turns out that cities can be hit by nukes...

If you want to go for minimal effort, stage a lightning raid into their territory. Just taking a city and then having the enemy take it back will reduce the population so much that it's effectively crippled, not to mention your ability to instantly loot all of the Great Works while you're still in control and having every building roll for survival twice. While you're doing this, you can be hitting them with Great Musicians if there are any to be had but really they're just icing on the cake. gently caress up (and raze if possible) 2-3 of their largest cities and they'll never be able to recover before they're drinking your bluejeans and smoking your sunglasses.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's pretty common to go from 300 tourism to 1200 in a relatively short period, the late game multipliers are pretty crazy. Finishing Aesthetics counts for a lot too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The White Dragon posted:

This happens without mods, too! :eng101: It's just unbelievably, extremely rare. In the thousand-something hours I've played this game, I've seen it happen like twice.

In the 800 hours I've played, one time I saw it happen to the Incans. I was wondering why there were just 7 civilizations in the game until I figured it out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's pretty common to go from 300 tourism to 1200 in a relatively short period, the late game multipliers are pretty crazy. Finishing Aesthetics counts for a lot too.

that feel when you pass cultural heritage sites and then build a hotel

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Brazil is another great option for a culture win if you can get yourself in a position to churn out Golden Ages.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thank you for all the culture advice everyone. I finally did it!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Paul.Power posted:

Brazil is another great option for a culture win if you can get yourself in a position to churn out Golden Ages.

Banking every scrap of Faith you can, in preparation for blowing it all on chaining a hundred-year Carnival to passively overwhelm the remaining culture holdouts is pretty loving awesome if you can pull it off.

Yes, I really like clicking End Turn/watching numbers go up and I'm aware that this is an indicator that I am but a hollow shell of an immortal dictator!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

LonsomeSon posted:

Banking every scrap of Faith you can, in preparation for blowing it all on chaining a hundred-year Carnival to passively overwhelm the remaining culture holdouts is pretty loving awesome if you can pull it off.

Yes, I really like clicking End Turn/watching numbers go up and I'm aware that this is an indicator that I am but a hollow shell of an immortal dictator!

100 year carnivals sounds like my kind of oppressive regime.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I'm looking to mod the game a bit more for my next go, but augh there's just so much crap to sift through and I have no idea what's actually good or not.

First, is there a good mod for stretching out the eras somewhat? I mean, basically something that will make research slower comparative to production. I'd like to be able to do more within each era, instead of my new swordsmen being obsolete by the time they reach the front lines. I saw a couple mods like this in the Steam Workshop, but I dunno if they're any good or if they'll just break the game.

Second, are there any clear goon favourite map scripts? I have PerfectWorld3 and Tectonic Map Script, any opinion on those? Mainly wondering if there are any recommended newer ones that improve on those somehow. Also I'm currently playing in a Tectonic map, and it feels like some civs are being strangely passive and doing very badly eventhough they have plenty of room to expand, and I've been wondering if it's maybe the map script breaking the AI somehow.

I'm eyeing the CBP, but it seems a little intimidating to be honest. I'm a big babby and like my Civ easy-ish, though I guess I could just swallow what little pride I have and play on Warlord or whatever if I try CBP. But even apart from the difficulty concerns, I'd prefer something that doesn't quite mess with the game that extensively.

I also don't want new civs, I already have enough trouble deciding what I wanna play out of the vanilla choices. Hell, forcing myself to not play Shoshone is hard enough, because god drat I love Pathfinders to an unreasonable degree.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

CBP owns

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nordick posted:

So I'm looking to mod the game a bit more for my next go, but augh there's just so much crap to sift through and I have no idea what's actually good or not.

First, is there a good mod for stretching out the eras somewhat? I mean, basically something that will make research slower comparative to production. I'd like to be able to do more within each era, instead of my new swordsmen being obsolete by the time they reach the front lines. I saw a couple mods like this in the Steam Workshop, but I dunno if they're any good or if they'll just break the game.

Second, are there any clear goon favourite map scripts? I have PerfectWorld3 and Tectonic Map Script, any opinion on those? Mainly wondering if there are any recommended newer ones that improve on those somehow. Also I'm currently playing in a Tectonic map, and it feels like some civs are being strangely passive and doing very badly eventhough they have plenty of room to expand, and I've been wondering if it's maybe the map script breaking the AI somehow.

I'm eyeing the CBP, but it seems a little intimidating to be honest. I'm a big babby and like my Civ easy-ish, though I guess I could just swallow what little pride I have and play on Warlord or whatever if I try CBP. But even apart from the difficulty concerns, I'd prefer something that doesn't quite mess with the game that extensively.

I also don't want new civs, I already have enough trouble deciding what I wanna play out of the vanilla choices. Hell, forcing myself to not play Shoshone is hard enough, because god drat I love Pathfinders to an unreasonable degree.

1. There are mods that increase research cost, but there are issues with some of them and how Civ itself is setup. If you use the 1000% research cost one it doesn't also extend the turns by 1000%. Now I don't recall if base civ increases unit cost as time goes on, but CBP certainly does. Deleting a worker should not net me 10 more gold per turn, but due to increased research costs + normal game speed it happens. This also effects things you don't normally consider; such as cost of buildings and units overtaking your economy until you can get up to guilds for wealth generation. -- Example; Normal Speed, Research Cost 1000%. By 2000 AD I'm still no where near you'd normally be, but the game is calculating unit costs as if I should be. This also means that you will see the AI be a huge negative gold per turn amounts.

2. I normally play on the communitas (spelling?) map.

3. CBP does change a lot, but I wouldn't really call it harder than base Civ. It is setup to account for the AI not being very good at the game to some extent.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For game speed, you can just play on Epic.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Nordick posted:

I use the Historic time scale mod and really enjoy it. It basically keeps production times the same, but stretches research out into Marathon lengths, plus a few other balancing tweaks to make it fun to play with that. I heard about it (I think) from the Reddit game where the AIs were all playing each other, and actually fought ancient-era warfare because they had the time to build ancient units and use them effectively.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Every time I win a cultural victory I have a mini heart attack because the victory screen has a nearly identical color palette to the defeat screen

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Maguoob posted:

1. There are mods that increase research cost, but there are issues with some of them and how Civ itself is setup.
Yeah, I figured it's probably not quite as simple as it sounds, which is why I was wary of just grabbing the first mod that I came across.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For game speed, you can just play on Epic.
I do, but it slows research and production in equal measure. I'm looking for something that doesn't slow production as much, so there's more to accomplish within each era.

Peas and Rice posted:

I use the Historic time scale mod and really enjoy it. It basically keeps production times the same, but stretches research out into Marathon lengths, plus a few other balancing tweaks to make it fun to play with that. I heard about it (I think) from the Reddit game where the AIs were all playing each other, and actually fought ancient-era warfare because they had the time to build ancient units and use them effectively.
Alright, thanks, I'll give this one a go. Looks like it has at least some measures to deal with the issues instead of just cranking the research costs up and callig it done

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and give CBP a whirl as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

I do, but it slows research and production in equal measure. I'm looking for something that doesn't slow production as much, so there's more to accomplish within each era.

If you want there to be more to accomplish, then you'll need more content to provide things to accomplish. There's only so many units and buildings to build, only so many cities to conquer. If you just want more time to use your era-appropriate military units, then the game speed modifiers should mostly accomplish that, as they expand the number of turns it takes to obsolete a given unit type without changing how much that unit can do in a single turn. Sure, it takes longer to build each unit, but changing that would probably have balance repercussions. I mean, do you want to get swarmed by an endless carpet of AI swordsmen?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I mean, do you want to get swarmed by an endless carpet of AI swordsmen?
Well I can just have my own endless carpet of swordsmen to meet them, so sure why not? :v:

I mean, being able to have bigger wars with earlier era units is one of the things I'm looking for here. Building my cities up more before getting new poo poo to build is another. When I run out of stuff to build I can just start converting hammers to wealth, since the mod Peas and Rice linked to makes that option available way earlier. The vanilla slower game speed options are not what I'm after; I would know this because I've tried them. Waiting 20 turns to build the simplest unit is really tedious, let alone building up an army big enough to do something with.

So in summary, those "balance repercussions" you mention are in fact what I'm looking for here. Is this mod something I'll be using always from here on out? Maybe not, but it's something I want to try out.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

I was certain there was a mod called 'Production/Tech Rebalance' that did exactly what you're asking for, but I can't return any results for it...other than me talking about it two years ago. It was a pretty good mod because it was so simple (like, 10 lines of code) that you could finetune it to your demands. When I was googling it I did find this thread which says how you can edit the files yourself: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=477209

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The big problem with any mods that balance production, science and warfare in such a way that lower tech units are viable for longer is that it makes Domination, the by far easiest victory condition to achieve, even easier. It's a bit like playing with Keshiks on epic speed. In a normal game, Keshiks will be viable for a limited amount of time, epic stretches it out and most of the mods I've seen to make lower tech units viable for longer amounts of time make extends it out even more.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tegan and Sankara posted:

I was certain there was a mod called 'Production/Tech Rebalance' that did exactly what you're asking for, but I can't return any results for it...other than me talking about it two years ago. It was a pretty good mod because it was so simple (like, 10 lines of code) that you could finetune it to your demands. When I was googling it I did find this thread which says how you can edit the files yourself: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=477209
Thanks, this might prove useful if I want to tune things a bit.

Cynic Jester posted:

The big problem with any mods that balance production, science and warfare in such a way that lower tech units are viable for longer is that it makes Domination, the by far easiest victory condition to achieve, even easier. It's a bit like playing with Keshiks on epic speed. In a normal game, Keshiks will be viable for a limited amount of time, epic stretches it out and most of the mods I've seen to make lower tech units viable for longer amounts of time make extends it out even more.
This is a good point, but not a very relevant one for me because I usually don't really care about a domination victory anyway. :shrug: I'm sure it'll make it a lot easier in general to leverage any powerful early tech UUs so that I can snowball into an unstoppable superpower from there, but I don't mind that since like I said earlier I like my Civ easy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, and stuff like unit experience not being balanced at all so you can easily take cities in the ancient era with your mob of range 3, double-shooting archers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

Yeah, and stuff like unit experience not being balanced at all so you can easily take cities in the ancient era with your mob of range 3, double-shooting archers.

You can easily take cities without Bombard Logistics archers in the ancient era, and it's honestly kind of hard to get enough EXP for them in a timely manner unless you're playing on Marathon. Archers OP though, you can take AIs on Quick/Immortal with an archer phalanx plus like one barbaric, club-swinging warrior to scream in the empty streets of a burning city just to let everyone know that yes, you do own it now.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Machado de Assis posted:

Download link for this is dead, anyone got another? Alternatively, what mods are worth looking into for someone that has only played vanilla but is more interested in bugfixes and minor tweaks than major reworks (AI improvements in particular would be cool).

I rearranged my MEGA drive and must have accidentaly deleted it. I'm away at uni at the moment, and my only local copy of the modpack is back home so it will be a few weeks before I can re-upload it, at which point it's probably worth recompiling it as the CBP will have updated quite a bit.
I am running into issues whereby my Civ is just crashing randomly on my main pc when trying to set up the compile, for very hard to diagnose reasons so idk what my succes rate will be.
If anyone else feels like having a try:

1. Download Lynne's CBP multiplayer modpack from CivFanatics (without EUI)
2. Extract the mods from the MODS folder in that you your Civ 5/MODS directory
3. Also install any other mod to include in the pack to the directory
4. Download and install MPMPM from civ fanatics, instructions to use it and get civ 5 to work with it are in the relevant thread
5. Load up a civ 5 mod game with all the required mods and Firetuner running the background
6. Use Firetuner to run the compiler (You may have to remove the .dll from the Community Balance Patch and keep hold of it prior to loading the mods)
7. Go to the generated Mp_MODSPACK in steam/civ5/assets/dlc, check all the mods copied over, if not then do it manually.
8. Copy the .dll from the Community Balance patch into the root directory of MP_MODSPACK
9. The modded gamestate that is the result of all the mods in MP_MODSPACK should be used by default whenever you start a normal multiplayer or singleplayer game

The only thing that makes this process tedious is Civ 5's slow loading times, so if you have an SSD it should be a relatively quick process.

You could in theory use the EUI version of the CBP modpack but it causes a lot of desyncs in multiplayer so unfortunately it's probably not worth using it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are everyone's Set Ups for games? Usually I do Continents Plus or Pangaea Plus depending on if I want a navy, Great Plains is also fun. Aged to 3 Million, low sea level. Sometimes if I want to dominate easily I'll pick a map type that goes well with a specific Civ.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are everyone's Set Ups for games? Usually I do Continents Plus or Pangaea Plus depending on if I want a navy, Great Plains is also fun. Aged to 3 Million, low sea level. Sometimes if I want to dominate easily I'll pick a map type that goes well with a specific Civ.

Small Continents Large+. I prefer when they're actually continents and not just really big islands in an archipelago, but sadly, this almost never happens :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Fractal is and will always be the best map type.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you plunder an enemy citadel, does it cease to damage adjacent units?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Peas and Rice posted:

If you plunder an enemy citadel, does it cease to damage adjacent units?

I would assume so, but have not checked -- that would seem to fall under the general "plundered tiles don't provide any benefit" rule.

Incidentally, citadels damage units that are hostile to the civ that owns the tile the citadel is on. And tile ownership rules can be unpredictable. Be careful about plopping down a citadel near an enemy city if you aren't confident you can hold the city once captured. If you lose the city, you'll probably lose the citadel as well as the city re-claims its former territory...which will make re-taking the city a lot harder.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, Carthage is super good in CBP now. Free harbors supercharge any remotely good coastal start because of the food and gold and the 200 gold you get for settling nets you a free worker for every city. The UB/UU are sort of ignorable, but their econ play is so good. Skip roads, lean on harbors and get even more money from just settling cities. Carthage with a Whale start is one of the most busted things I've ever played. 4f/1s/1g from the get go is deliciously busted in the early turns and thanks to the settling gold, you can afford to buy out all the whale tiles as soon as you have the pop to run them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I would assume so, but have not checked -- that would seem to fall under the general "plundered tiles don't provide any benefit" rule.

It's this. I've had plenty of times when barbarians spawned beyond one of my dumb citadel luxury-grabbing chains, and when they plunder it, it stops doing damage.

• Locked thread