Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's another contradiction: picture the kind of person who is always bringing up "common sense".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Danger posted:

What I appreciate about Tezzor's reading of the prequels is that they seem to affix the character of 'George Lucas' within his tracing of the film. It's all very post-structural.

the Galactic Senate would have been a successful government : if it weren't for the corrupting influence of bad people, such as Sheev :: the Star Wars prequels would have been good movies : if it weren't for the corrupting intentions of dumb people, such as George Lucas

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezzor posted:

You know for a dude who pretends to comprehend dialectics you sure don't seem to know what a contradiction is. Hey Tezzor you claim that this film as intended regularly violates logic and common sense. But check it: the intention that the separatists were pure evil violates logic and common sense owwwwned

You are going mad again. I wrote that the Seperatists in the movie are not all evil.

So did George Lucas: "There are heroes on both sides."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Because the federation has a seat in the senate, they were freely and democratically elected to that position.

We are to presume every other member represents a planet/race, why should we immediately assume otherwise for the federation?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

We are to presume every other member represents a planet/race, why should we immediately assume otherwise for the federation?

Why are you being a dense loving idiot about this?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Again, you've lost track of any relevant argumentation. This is a pattern with you.

In the movie The Phantom Menace, a space corporation that invades sovereign peoples is shown to have a seat in the supreme governmental body of the galaxy. This is explicitly to represent the the interests of the corporation, not any planetary population. The script clarifies this:

I don't know why I have to clarify this children's movie for you. They say that the senator represnts a corporation, not a planetary population. You've went onto tangents about fantasy scenarios where Disney controls a US state because you're unable to answer a simple question: does a corporation having a seat in government show that the government is dysfunctional?

didn't you argue during the TFA bickering that only the film itself matters, not any deleted scenes or revised scripts?

Anyways, what you quoted merely implies that Valorum does not recognize his position [at this time], and that Lott Dodd is a [senator] for the federation. There is still little to believe the senator for this alien race is any less democratically elected than anyone else in the [galactic] senate.

quote:

The answer is yes. The Republic is dysfunctional. Corporations blockading sovereign peoples is legal under Republic law:

These are bad things.

Illegal yet frowned upon, so the republic sent negotiators to settle the blockade. This doesn't imply that the republic is fine with blockading republic planets. And it doesn't imply corruption when the head of the senate is deposed of after the senate passes a vote of no confidence against his stalling. Padme did not pass that vote by herself.

quote:

I don't know why you struggle with basic plot information and political ethics.

Says the person arguing in favor of disenfranchisement and manipulation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what is anime toliet slaves?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why are you being a dense loving idiot about this?

That doesn't answer the question

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
I was reading the old SW thread and it's funny how many people have changed their tune on the prequels.

the prequel debate has been going on for almost 4 years now. It will never end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

The character Supreme Chancellor Valorum identifies the Senator from the Trade Federation as the Senator from the Trade Federation.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The character Supreme Chancellor Valorum identifies the Senator from the Trade Federation as the Senator from the Trade Federation.

Is it impossible for the Trade Federation to be composed of that race's planets, ala a corporate version of a United Nations of Earth? Do we see that race in other senate seats?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

Says the person arguing in favor of disenfranchisement and manipulation.

Disenfranchisement and manipulation is what the Trade Federation attempted when they tried to coerce the democratically elected leader of Naboo into handing her government and her constituents to the Trade Federation.

Opposing the Trade Federation's attempts to coerce democracies is not disenfranchising. Denying the vote to compromised governments is not disenfranchising.

What is disenfranchising is granting a nondemocratic entity, such as the Trade Federation, a seat on a supposedly democratic senate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Disenfranchisement and manipulation is what the Trade Federation attempted when they tried to coerce the democratically elected leader of Naboo into handing her government and her constituents to the Trade Federation.

Opposing the Trade Federation's attempts to coerce democracies is not disenfranchising. Denying the vote to compromised governments is not disenfranchising.

What is disenfranchising is granting a nondemocratic entity, such as the Trade Federation, a seat on a supposedly democratic senate.

Denying them after the blockade is fine. I'm arguing that the existance of a representative from the Federation is not itself an example of corruption.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You are going mad again. I wrote that the Seperatists in the movie are not all evil.

So did George Lucas: "There are heroes on both sides."

they are all evil from everything we see. you bring the common sense that surely all those trillions of people can't be evil into it, but we do not see this. the title crawl may tell and not show us that they are not all evil, but that's such laughable contradictory bullshit that not even his contemporary anime toilet slave Rick McCallum bought it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I always saw the Senate scenes as more of a comment on the inherent flaws of bureaucracy than actual corruption. Sure, they could probably take away the Trade Federation's vote but all kinds of procedural things would have to be done, motions and votes, etc. , and by the time it happened the whole crisis would be over anyway. That's what happens with the blockade, the Senate decides it will need to take time to investigate the situation but practically there just isn't any time to do that. They're willing to potentially let people starve to death as long as the proper procedures are followed.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neurolimal posted:

Denying them after the blockade is fine. I'm arguing that the existance of a representative from the Federation is not itself an example of corruption.

A corporation cannot be democratic. The closest equivalent to this is something called a syndicate, and it is not compatible with terms like "trade federation" or with placing blockades on those who refuse to engage in "free trade". The "Senator from the Trade Federation" is a reference to the old joke "the Senator from Wall Street" or "the Senator from Boeing" etc. which has been used to imply intense corruption and corporate capture for decades. In the Star Wars Republic, there is literally a Senator from Wall Street, which is super mega bad, and if you do not think so then I find your moral philosophy not only lacking but repugnant.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

someone photoshop this great and consistently held point with mace windu head and palpy's monster face

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's another contradiction: picture the kind of person who is always bringing up "common sense".

.... Thomas Paine?

Was it Thomas Paine?

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Side note, how hosed is your planet if a trade blockade is enough to start killing off your population?

You have the resources of an entire world at your disposal and you can't properly feed/medicate/fix whatever the problem that was killing the humans on Naboo was?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I always saw the Senate scenes as more of a comment on the inherent flaws of bureaucracy than actual corruption. Sure, they could probably take away the Trade Federation's vote but all kinds of procedural things would have to be done, motions and votes, etc. , and by the time it happened the whole crisis would be over anyway. That's what happens with the blockade, the Senate decides it will need to take time to investigate the situation but practically there just isn't any time to do that. They're willing to potentially let people starve to death as long as the proper procedures are followed.

The central political problem with the prequels is not bureaucracy but a rejection of bureaucracy. They keep voting Palpy more power so he can get around procedures and Get Ir Dun

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

A corporation cannot be democratic. The closest equivalent to this is something called a syndicate, and it is not compatible with terms like "trade federation" or with placing blockades on those who refuse to engage in "free trade". The "Senator from the Trade Federation" is a reference to the old joke "the Senator from Wall Street" or "the Senator from Boeing" etc. which has been used to imply intense corruption and corporate capture for decades. In the Star Wars Republic, there is literally a Senator from Wall Street, which is super mega bad, and if you do not think so then I find your moral philosophy not only lacking but repugnant.

So, a corporate-controlled race should not be in the senate (in your opinion). That doesn't explain why that race's representative proves that the senate is corrupt, it just proves that race has a lovely government.

(I recognize the joke, but thats usually utilized to reference the overwhelming influence corporations hold. We never see this in the film; when they attempt to blockade a fellow ally they are sent negotiators to give them a civil way to stop doing it, then when it actually comes to senate action they are outvoted in deposing Valorum and acting against Gunray's aggression. Their strength as a federation is proven in the trilogy, but we never see that strength enter the senate's politics.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

Is it impossible for the Trade Federation to be composed of that race's planets, ala a corporate version of a United Nations of Earth? Do we see that race in other senate seats?

The character Supreme Chancellor Valorum identifies the character Senator Palapatine when he states, "The Chair recognizes the Senator from the sovereign system of Naboo."

Valorum specifically calls attention to the fact that Naboo is a "sovereign system." However, he very pointedly does not refer to the Senator from the Trade Federation as sovereign. Presumably, this is because the Trade Federation are not sovereign. As such, the Trade Federation do not represent a planet or a race, rather they represent a federation. (Furthermore, the Trade Federation refer to themselves as a federation.)

Now, I will grant you that there are alternative ways to read this. It's possible that Valorum purposely omitted to mention that the Trade Federation are sovereign, perhaps out of spite. I do not think this is likely, both because Valorum seems to maintain proper decorum throughout the proceedings, and because Senator Palapatine, the Sith Lord himself, speaks credit to Valorum's integrity. We can trust Sheev.

The other reading is that Valorum simply forgot that the Trade Federation were sovereign, perhaps because he's an idiot. But Tezzor can explain much better than I can.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 24, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

Corporations are undemocratic. Giving a senate seat to a corporation, putting them on the same level as sovereign democracies, is likewise undemocratic and furthermore corrupt.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd read it as a jab at their lack of participation in the senate outside of affairs regarding them; it stands to reason that a corporate-controlled race would choose to shirk alliance duties that don't affect them. Effectively the Sergio Osmena of the galactic senate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Corporations are undemocratic. Giving a senate seat to a corporation, putting them on the same level as sovereign democracies, is likewise undemocratic and furthermore corrupt.

Should the citizens of the Federation not be allowed representation? Would this be more or less corrupt? More or less democratic?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Schwarzwald posted:

This is why the UN doesn't allow monarchies to be represented I guess

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bob Quixote posted:

Side note, how hosed is your planet if a trade blockade is enough to start killing off your population?

You have the resources of an entire world at your disposal and you can't properly feed/medicate/fix whatever the problem that was killing the humans on Naboo was?

They weren't merely blockaded for very long - the invasion is what led to that kind of trouble as the population were moved into camps and presumably most farming and industry ceased.

I don't remember any dialogue from before the invasion about the people of Naboo dying. I'm willing to be corrected, of course.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You guys know that "corrupt" is a word that means a thing beyond "something an anarchist teen would get mad at," right? Like if there was a scene where Valorum was getting paid off by the space ching chongs that would be an example of corruption. A government being imperfect and using occasionally using force is not the same as corruption.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

Should the citizens of the Federation not be allowed representation? Would this be more or less corrupt? More or less democratic?
The Trade Federation does not have citizens, by virtue of not being sovereign. Furthermore, even if they did have citizens, they would not have representation by virtue of being a federation, which is not a form of government that gives it's citizens representation.

What the Federation does have are slaves. Slaves are inherently disenfranchised, and the keeping of slaves is inherently undemocratic.

Because they are not a sovereign state, the Trade Federation having a seat on the galactic senate is corrupt.
Because they are not a democracy, the Trade Federation having a seat on the galactic senate is undemocratic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzor posted:

This is why the UN doesn't allow monarchies to be represented I guess

The UN is not a senate.
The UN is also not a democracy.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor what are your favorite movies

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The Trade Federation does not have citizens, by virtue of not being sovereign. Furthermore, even if they did have citizens, they would not have representation by virtue of being a federation, which is not a form of government that gives it's citizens representation.

What the Federation does have are slaves. Slaves are inherently disenfranchised, and the keeping of slaves is inherently undemocratic.

Because they are not a sovereign state, the Trade Federation having a seat on the galactic senate is corrupt.
Because they are not a democracy, the Trade Federation having a seat on the galactic senate is undemocratic.

The republic also has slaves. Do you not remember the pivotal character of Dexter Jettster, Bigoted Slavemaster of the Galactic 50's?

It's more representation than not giving them a representative. And I doubt the senate goes through the trouble of cleansing the local government of every member's planets.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Schwarzwald posted:

Battle droids are not slaves. They are evil technology, goofy and worthless, inherently distinct from the good ones, and not important. Your prophet actually said these things

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Schwarzwald posted:

The UN is not a senate.
The UN is also not a democracy.

The UN is a democracy and the other distinction is a semantic quibble. Rome had a Senate and actual, non-cartoon character slaves - as did the US, at one point

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tezzor posted:

Battle droids are not slaves. They are evil technology, goofy and worthless, inherently distinct from the good ones, and not important. Your prophet actually said these things

Technology used to create a slave army is evil technology. There's not even a contradiction here.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Technology used to create a slave army is evil technology. There's not even a contradiction here.

The battle droids themselves are evil technology.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

The republic also has slaves. Do you not remember the pivotal character of Dexter Jettster, Bigoted Slavemaster of the Galactic 50's?

This is true. I'm not defending the republic, quite the opposite. The fact the the republic permits slaves is a bad thing. The fact that the republic allows the Trade Federation a seat on their senate is also a bad thing.

Neurolimal posted:

It's more representation than not giving them a representative.

It actually isn't. In fact, the members of the trade federation have exactly as much representation in either circumstance.

Granted, the Trade Federation itself has more representation if they have a seat on the senate, but the individual members still don't a vote.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"I like technology, I use technology, but at the same time I understand the failings of technology. You can’t rely on technology for everything so I have this dual nature in the movies: the friendly human good technology of Artoo and Threepio and the evil technology of the battle droids."- a direct quote from George Lucas

When did we stop pretending that he said these things to trick us, Ferrinus? Can I get a timecode in GMT when this happened

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzor posted:

Rome had a Senate and actual, non-cartoon character slaves - as did the US, at one point

It is not a good thing that slavery was legal in the US.

Likewise, that slavery was legal in the fictional Galactic Senate is also not a good thing.

Tezzor posted:

"I like technology, I use technology, but at the same time I understand the failings of technology. You can’t rely on technology for everything so I have this dual nature in the movies: the friendly human good technology of Artoo and Threepio and the evil technology of the battle droids."- a direct quote from George Lucas

When did we stop pretending that he said these things to trick us, Ferrinus? Can I get a timecode in GMT when this happened

I don't see how that contradicts anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was ambivalent about calling these things slavery because it minimizes real slavery by comparing it to the use of worthless idiot cartoon robots, however in George Lucas's mind later seeing the guy who enslaved you as a child is "interesting" and "like seeing an old teacher from high school" so if he's minimizing it why not just follow the leader

• Locked thread