Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr Dog posted:

I have to wonder why no-name Dude In Armor boss Dragonslayer Armor is so incredibly difficult. The dude was very frustrating until I found out he was a roadblock for almost everybody.

He doesn't have any lore significance or any big buildup he's just kinda ... in your way all of a sudden.

You never played DS1 or 2 huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've done SL1 all boss challenges in 1 and 2, and I will tell you that this is the hardest of the three boss wise. I think Bloodborne has harder bosses though, especially in the chalice dungeons, I never did the DLC either which supposedly has the hardest bosses.

A big part of how difficult the game will be for you on your first playthrough is how you build your character. My first character I basically leveled up to use whatever random weapon I came across and the game was really difficult cause I was at almost base VGR. I think leveling up VGR first is definitely the best option in this game and makes it a lot easier. My first playthrough of DkS1 was a lot like that too and I made the game more difficult than it should have been. And then with DkS2 I didn't put points in ADP and the game felt much more difficult than 1, although now I'd rate them about the same.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You never played DS1 or 2 huh

but it isn't ornstein and isn't his armor.

i thought when people said the boss name it was gonna be a huge spoiler but it wasn't.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes it very explicitly is

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did you not go to the secret area?

or play ds2.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought when people said the boss name it was gonna be a huge spoiler but it wasn't.

Isn't the description on the shield that they melted down his armor to make it or something?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Thnaks to MrLonghair for the Deacons farming suggestion, I've got the ten dregs I need to get Great Deep Soul. Time to gently caress off from that wretched covenant and invasion haven forever!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

did you not go to the secret area?

read the description of the boss soul and the items you get from the boss soul

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I AM BRAWW posted:

IS USING CARTHUS BLOODRING (+iframe or w/e) USEFUL ONLY WHEN UNDER 30% OR CAN I USE IT WITH GOOD EFFICIENCY IF MY WEIGHT IS ABOVE 30% BUT BELOW 70%

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE UNDER 30% poo poo YOU loving RETARD JUST STAY UNDER 70%

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I seriously have no idea how to co op him. His room seems blocked from the rest of the level.

It's just random whether it actually works or not. There's no rhyme or reason to whether you get to actually help people co-op or if you just give them the hard mode version of the boss with inflated HP while not being able to do anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ornstein died in ds2.

the soul explicitly states there's nobody in the armor.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Do pyro spells scale off int or just pyro reinforcement and rings?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

ornstein died in ds2.

the soul explicitly states there's nobody in the armor.

Yes, but it does explicitly state that it IS his armor reanimated and modified

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, noted giant axe and greatshield user Ornstein, of course...

He does use lightning, sure, but that's very explicitly the Correct Dragon Strat in-universe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, but it does explicitly state that it IS his armor reanimated and modified

i'm curious how i collected it elsewhere though.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Brannock posted:

Ooh, is the Black Blade supposed to be Sir Alonne's weapon or is it someone else's?

I figure it's just a random blacksteel katana with the usual dark souls muddle history/mixed timelines/change of language over time thing going on.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No it very explicitly isn't. Ornstein's armour shows up in Archdragon Peak on what is very likely Ornstein's corpse.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The description of the greatshield includes

"The shield offers high protection to lightning, which the Dragonslayer commanded as his own, and its Skill has faint echoes of the Dragonslayer's own fighting style."

Considering said skill is a shield bash and Ornstein didn't use a shield at all, that alone is enough to say that the Dragonslayer that armor belonged to was not Ornstein. Dragonslayer is a pretty general term.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

argondamn posted:

I've done SL1 all boss challenges in 1 and 2, and I will tell you that this is the hardest of the three boss wise. I think Bloodborne has harder bosses though, especially in the chalice dungeons, I never did the DLC either which supposedly has the hardest bosses.

A big part of how difficult the game will be for you on your first playthrough is how you build your character. My first character I basically leveled up to use whatever random weapon I came across and the game was really difficult cause I was at almost base VGR. I think leveling up VGR first is definitely the best option in this game and makes it a lot easier. My first playthrough of DkS1 was a lot like that too and I made the game more difficult than it should have been. And then with DkS2 I didn't put points in ADP and the game felt much more difficult than 1, although now I'd rate them about the same.

Nobody is talking about SL1 difficulty. Part of how difficult the bosses are is dependent on the resources you have too. IMO the bosses in 3 are probably slightly mroe difficult in terms of moveset, but you have so much estus and your roll takes so little endurance that despite the bosses being stronger you can still gently caress up a lot and beat them. A lot of the bosses in this game i one shot because despite loving up and getting hit with their moves a lot i oculd just chug estus and spam dodge roll and still kill it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Vermain posted:

It's just random whether it actually works or not. There's no rhyme or reason to whether you get to actually help people co-op or if you just give them the hard mode version of the boss with inflated HP while not being able to do anything.

I've never seen this bug in ~100 summons now. Can you get autosummons? Maybe From is assigning certain people certain bugs.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Brannock posted:

Ooh, is the Black Blade supposed to be Sir Alonne's weapon or is it someone else's?

It's the Berserker Blade in DS2. Don't remember if it predates that game, though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just found this movie called Solomon Kane from about 2012 and it's literally Dark Souls the movie. It rocks all night long.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Brannock posted:

Yes. Well some other samurai that visited irithil/profaned castle. Whatever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What level should I be around Road of Sacrifices?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm curious how i collected it elsewhere though.

As I understood it, the armor was reanimated by the weird skeleton dragon thing and copied elements of its master's moveset and behavior while being its own distinct "thing"

I think this was mostly because Miyazaki didn't want to do the exact same boss a third time, so kept the visual elements while changing the style.

As for the set you find in the optional place, the lore there is weird. I mean, he died in DS1, and then again in DSII, but his armor set in the optional place makes it sound like he never died at all and never fought anyone in DSII

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, regardless of his identity it's a very difficult fight kinda... out of nowhere.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

WaltherFeng posted:

Bloodborne still has the best looking weapons in the series. They are so wonderfully brutal because they are designed to rip apart giant monsters rather than swordfighting,

gently caress yeah it does. That game just looks cool enough that I'm considering getting a PS4 (that and, inevitably, ff15 and some other random stuff). Just got through watching an LP of it and I was consistently amazed at not only the move sets (transformations!) and the assets but also just the animations of the weapon for the moves (looking at you scythe/amygdala arm).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mr Dog posted:

I have to wonder why no-name Dude In Armor boss Dragonslayer Armor is so incredibly difficult. The dude was very frustrating until I found out he was a roadblock for almost everybody.

He doesn't have any lore significance or any big buildup he's just kinda ... in your way all of a sudden.

that boss was the most satisfying to learn to beat solo, because he is such a motherfucker but his attack patterns are fairly predictable, and when i would die it was only frustrating if the death was from the floating poo poo-angels firing their poo poo volleys into the arena when i was at low health or something. any time i died to the actual boss, it was always because i mistimed a block or a dodge and it was really my bad.

he is a big shitwrecker to just be plopped in between dancer and the princes with no real build-up. my guess is he was like penetrator from 3-1 in that he was just a tough boss that was in your way because he was tough and not because he was somehow fitting into the bigger narrative. it is kind of weird though, because pretty much every other boss (and even most of the mini-boss style harder-than-normal enemies in a level) all tie back into whatever is happening in the game.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Wagrid posted:

No it very explicitly isn't. Ornstein's armour shows up in Archdragon Peak on what is very likely Ornstein's corpse.

this. It's not Dunkstein, doesn't even seem close. seems like all 3 kingdoms across the 3 DS games had an assload of dudes in the Dragonslayer profession

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Minor spoiler for some final boss moves

I wish the weapon you make from his soul would function like it does in the fight with him. Like using the weapon are would transform it from a sword to a staff then a curved sword and back again. Give you some balance jack-of-all-trades thing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Emalde posted:

Homing Crystal Soulmass and just use Pyromancy for everything else, basically. It still scales on your raw INT investment and is much more reliable than anything you're getting in the sorcery side of things.

Okay well same question for pyromancy. I throw the great chaos orbs at my feet if I think someone will roll at me but I'm at a loss what else is useful.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Has anyone tried Salt and Sanctuary? I got it thinking it might hold me over before DSIII was released but didn't get really into it. Is it something worth giving a second try to?

I like it plenty, it has some flaws but it's a great deal of content for a game that costs less than 20 bucks. It's also a game where I generally think it gets better the longer it goes on; while the last levels have kinda crummy level design, the game's movement mechanics rapidly expand as you enter the endgame and it turns it into a really sweet Castlevania-style game with some Souls style mechanics stuck on.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Vermain posted:

It's... maybe I'm not understanding the complaint, but for Wolnir in specific you can't summon in his room (it's the hallway outside) and phantoms can't enter that room, but when the host triggers the boss fight it takes them right to it. Unless that's the glitch, where you don't get transported?

e; maybe the phantom gets summoned at the exact moment the host triggers the boss fight?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As for the set you find in the optional place, the lore there is weird. I mean, he died in DS1, and then again in DSII, but his armor set in the optional place makes it sound like he never died at all and never fought anyone in DSII

Were O&S part of the illusion of Anor Londo or were they real?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like it plenty, it has some flaws but it's a great deal of content for a game that costs less than 20 bucks. It's also a game where I generally think it gets better the longer it goes on; while the last levels have kinda crummy level design, the game's movement mechanics rapidly expand as you enter the endgame and it turns it into a really sweet Castlevania-style game with some Souls style mechanics stuck on.

Did they patch in a map yet?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

Well, regardless of his identity it's a very difficult fight kinda... out of nowhere.

I didn't think he was that bad, honestly. Just kind of another "Big dude with big sharp thing to brain you with," not that bad after Nameless King or Abyss Watcher. Still killed me a few times, mind, he's no pushover, but the only thing that really threw me off was when the fire butterflies would attack and throw off my timing trying to dodge his haymaker swings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As I understood it, the armor was reanimated by the weird skeleton dragon thing and copied elements of its master's moveset and behavior while being its own distinct "thing"

I think this was mostly because Miyazaki didn't want to do the exact same boss a third time, so kept the visual elements while changing the style.

the ornstein and smough you fight in ds1 are illusions.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Anybody know offhand a list of mobs you can dress up as in the game? Really wanna try this

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the ornstein and smough you fight in ds1 are illusions.

Huh, never heard that lore before. How does an illusion drop a great soul anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

DS1 Ornstein was probably an illusion conjured by Gwyndolin (the DS3 helmet mentions him leaving the cathedral. Seems like it was the real Smough though). As for his DS2 appearance the options there seem to be a) cameo with no lore significance after all b) DS3 retcons it c) not Ornstein after all d) the flow of time in Lothric is distorted blah blah blah. Pick your poison.

Considering you visit Anor Londo in DS3, which had a bunch of statues of Ornstein, it seems pretty plausible that whoever made Dragonslayer Armour (probably a scholar at the Archives) had access to information/a depiction of Ornstein.