Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

CJ posted:

Nobody is talking about SL1 difficulty. Part of how difficult the bosses are is dependent on the resources you have too. IMO the bosses in 3 are probably slightly mroe difficult in terms of moveset, but you have so much estus and your roll takes so little endurance that despite the bosses being stronger you can still gently caress up a lot and beat them. A lot of the bosses in this game i one shot because despite loving up and getting hit with their moves a lot i oculd just chug estus and spam dodge roll and still kill it.

I mean, In DkS1 you could easily get access to 20 estus by taking down a chump boss at the beginning. And DkS2 let you carry around a million lifegems. You don't need to roll as much in either of those games because hardly any enemy attacks as frequently as the ones that do in DkS3.

Also don't forget the bosses that literally can't hit you in the first two games if you just strafe around them to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Huh, never heard that lore before

So what about the Ornstein is DS2?

it's been batted around that Old Dragonslayer is Ornstein having gone with Gwynevere and Flann. Id have to look again see how they came to that conclusion but that seems to be the prevailing opinion. His use of Dark attacks is interesting as well

edit: i've always heard the "O&S are part of Gwyndolin's illusion" theory as the main one. seems like it works well enough, especially with DS2 and now DS3

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Anybody know offhand a list of mobs you can dress up as in the game? Really wanna try this

Probably won't work so hot when there's a random hollow with sparks coming off them standing around :(

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think I give up on PvP. I'm not good at it anyways much less when every single attempt is a 3v1 Brazzers squad. :sigh:

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Can you farm titanite scales in this game? I grabbed the holy sword instead of the dark pyromancy snake and I'd like it to not be a waste.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe ornstein is just a codename and he's played by different actors every movie

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Groovelord Neato posted:

the ornstein and smough you fight in ds1 are illusions.

Ornstein was at least, which had been a common theory for a long time. Smough's stuff mentions that he was the last knight to stay at his post.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of lore, I am still trying to piece together the lore of the Dragons in DSIII. The dragons in DSII were fakes, that much is clear. But I do not quite get if the dragons in DSIII are "real" dragons or not. I know Ocerios was experimenting with Dragon hybrids, but that seemed to be more from Seath remains than anything else.

Like, one of the reasons I immediately assumed the armor belonged to Ornstein is because the four knights of Gwyn killed all the dragons. There are no dragons after Ornstein and Gough were done with them. I always saw, lorewise, Dragonslayer as a term that never went beyond Gwyn's knights.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of lore, I am still trying to piece together the lore of the Dragons in DSIII. The dragons in DSII were fakes, that much is clear. But I do not quite get if the dragons in DSIII are "real" dragons or not. I know Ocerios was experimenting with Dragon hybrids, but that seemed to be more from Seath remains than anything else.

Like, one of the reasons I immediately assumed the armor belonged to Ornstein is because the four knights of Gwyn killed all the dragons. There are no dragons after Ornstein and Gough were done with them. I always saw, lorewise, Dragonslayer as a term that never went beyond Gwyn's knights.

There's an Everlasting Dragon in DS1, the NPC for the Path of the Dragon covenant

So there seems to be at least one if not more. As the flame fades, maybe they show up again or rise again or something

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

TheHoosier posted:

it's been batted around that Old Dragonslayer is Ornstein having gone with Gwynevere and Flann. Id have to look again see how they came to that conclusion but that seems to be the prevailing opinion. His use of Dark attacks is interesting as well

edit: i've always heard the "O&S are part of Gwyndolin's illusion" theory as the main one. seems like it works well enough, especially with DS2 and now DS3

The description of his armour in DS3 mentions Ornstein abandoning a cathedral to search for the Nameless King, which could be either the cathedral of Anor Londo, or the Cathedral of Blue. I'm inclined to believe that we never actually fight the real Ornstein in the series, and the dark stuff in DS2 implies that it's also some kind of illusion.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TheHoosier posted:

There's an Everlasting Dragon in DS1, the NPC for the Path of the Dragon covenant

Well yeah but that is the last one ever. How did he make more?

TheHoosier posted:

So there seems to be at least one if not more. As the flame fades, maybe they show up again or rise again or something

But the dragons were pre-the age of flame. The cycle should have no influence on their return

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Awesome Andy posted:

Can you farm titanite scales in this game? I grabbed the holy sword instead of the dark pyromancy snake and I'd like it to not be a waste.

Well you can eventually buy them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All the "dragons" we see are drakes, besides maybe the King of Storms.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
poo poo, my game crashed for the first time trying to gather up people for the dancer of boreal valley. Does that count as a dick disconnect?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Hamsterlady posted:

I've heard conflicting reports of whether Patches kills him or if he will save him in a case where Siegward can't but Patches can, but seeing as how he becomes hostile to you if you attack Greirat, I'm inclined to believe the latter.

I sent Patches to save him, and it didn't work out.

It went like this. I met Siggy in the kitchen, killed Pontiff Whatshisname and sent Greirat to the snow town late because I had forgot to do it before the boss. Next, I went into the dungeon, only to remember that chubby would be in the prison and not in the town to save Greirat. So I told Patches where to find his friend. Patches first was all like "I would really like his stuff", but when told where Greirat went, he dropped the act and was concerned.

Greirat did not show up again after I killed Yhorm together with the fatman. I checked the sewers, and sure enough, he was dead with the spider ladies. The shrine hag took his ashed and stash, and Patches doesn't mention it. :shrug:

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

Fargin Icehole posted:

poo poo, my game crashed for the first time trying to gather up people for the dancer of boreal valley. Does that count as a dick disconnect?

I'd hope not, the games been crashing for lots of people lately.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah but that is the last one ever. How did he make more?

But the dragons were pre-the age of flame. The cycle should have no influence on their return

No idea. I don't know if the dragons in DS3 are Aldia's creations run amok or actual dragons emerged from hiding. Pretty interesting that Oceiros was able to Trogdor himself as well. If nothing else, the dragons have left a permanent mark on the world despite being dead. Again, no idea. Interesting stuff though

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There are no fake dragons, if the game calls them dragons they're loving dragons. Wyverns are also dragons. The intro lied.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Donnerberg posted:

I sent Patches to save him, and it didn't work out.

It went like this. I met Siggy in the kitchen, killed Pontiff Whatshisname and sent Greirat to the snow town late because I had forgot to do it before the boss. Next, I went into the dungeon, only to remember that chubby would be in the prison and not in the town to save Greirat. So I told Patches where to find his friend. Patches first was all like "I would really like his stuff", but when told where Greirat went, he dropped the act and was concerned.

Greirat did not show up again after I killed Yhorm together with the fatman. I checked the sewers, and sure enough, he was dead with the spider ladies. The shrine hag took his ashed and stash, and Patches doesn't mention it. :shrug:

Someone mentioned that Patches only saves him if you haven't bought the onion armour off him yet and he still has it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

argondamn posted:

There are no fake dragons, if the game calls them dragons they're loving dragons. Wyverns are also dragons. The intro lied.

explain the ancient dragon in DS2

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're really old dragons

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wasn't Sinh a legit dragon?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

TheHoosier posted:

No idea. I don't know if the dragons in DS3 are Aldia's creations run amok or actual dragons emerged from hiding. Pretty interesting that Oceiros was able to Trogdor himself as well. If nothing else, the dragons have left a permanent mark on the world despite being dead. Again, no idea. Interesting stuff though

Maybe this is contradicted somewhere, but my theory on Oceiros is that he got his hands on whatever was is left of Seath's Lord Souls fragment after all this time. It would make sense considering his form and the Lord Souls always seem to be involved in the creation/governance of whatever the Lordran equivalent for that cycle is.

WrightOfWay posted:

So is Kalameet. The Stone Dragon is DS1 is a descendent of the Everlasting Dragons, rather than a survivor.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

BillmasterCozb posted:

Aldo was being i dwinkus experimenting on giant souls to try to make a dragon cause dragons are immortal but instead he made a big fuckup that looks like a dragon but has the soul of a giant. Or something

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

Aldia made a dragon so convincing that a cult developed around it.

If it looks like a dragon and talks like a dragon it's a dragon.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was kind of weird that Oceiros's "baby" is named Ocelotte, while Shanalotte is the Emerald Herald in Dark Souls 2's real name and she was also some kind of dragon-spawn creation

Maybe there's also a DkS2 connection there

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

BillmasterCozb posted:

I guess ill spoiler this but you're right pretty sure that's an Aldia combination. drops a giant soul for gently caress's sake. I dont remember which NPC it was, probably the Emerald Herald, but they essentially straight up admit that he's fake

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches
When this dropped, a friend of mine mentioned leaving messages as a minor advantage to get free heals, and I gave him poo poo for soliciting Likes before immediate doing just that and really enjoying it. So Dark Souls social networking- what are some of the more popular messages you've left? I've noticed, in my case at least, goofier stuff gets rated a bit more than actual helpful warnings of ambushes and such. "visons of guts..." in front of the Greatsword spot on Farron Swamp is so far my highest rated.

And speaking of, when proceeding from the Crystal Sage boss room, I saw a message in front of a bridge along the lines of "visions of planned encounter..." that had over 100 ratings but didn't know what that was about. Anyone know?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BillmasterCozb posted:

No joke most stuff in DS2 is literally "A wizard did it" because Aldia was always loving around and doing mad science experiments on stuff. If you bother killing the ancient dragon it drops a giants soul so it's something Aldia made from one of them. You can find a pile of giants corpses in his mansion above the acid pit too so it's possible they were failed experiments or just something he hosed around with to understand the curse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since I've been getting lucky with Darkmoon summons on this guy, I might try to actually take advantage of Darkmoon Blade when I get it.

How are weapon buff builds this time around? Would it be worth it to go like 40 Dex/40 Faith if DMB is the only scaling miracle I plan to use?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TheHoosier posted:

I guess ill spoiler this but you're right pretty sure that's an Aldia combination. drops a giant soul for gently caress's sake. I dont remember which NPC it was, probably the Emerald Herald, but they essentially straight up admit that he's fake

The queen pretty much says it.

Event hough she's evil, least she's straight up honest with that one.

Something like false idol.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CasualMaleXL posted:

When this dropped, a friend of mine mentioned leaving messages as a minor advantage to get free heals, and I gave him poo poo for soliciting Likes before immediate doing just that and really enjoying it. So Dark Souls social networking- what are some of the more popular messages you've left? I've noticed, in my case at least, goofier stuff gets rated a bit more than actual helpful warnings of ambushes and such. "visons of guts..." in front of the Greatsword spot on Farron Swamp is so far my highest rated.

And speaking of, when proceeding from the Crystal Sage boss room, I saw a message in front of a bridge along the lines of "visions of planned encounter..." that had over 100 ratings but didn't know what that was about. Anyone know?

My most popular one was minutes after the game launched I put down "You don't deserve this..." next to Crestfallen 3.0 and it got up to about 600 positive votes by the time I finished.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

argondamn posted:

The Dragons in DS2 were absolutely fakes

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

My most popular one was minutes after the game launched I put down "You don't deserve this..." next to Crestfallen 3.0 and it got up to about 600 positive votes by the time I finished.

Im bummed out that My 1k+ got deleted cause I was an idiot and didnt protect it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Is there any negative to bashing granny upside the head for the early Dancer fight?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I believe so, but it was also in a very indeterminate point in history

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Is there any negative to bashing granny upside the head for the early Dancer fight?

Not really a downside but kind of pointless because Dancer will gently caress you up real bad

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
What do you do when you're up against 2 or 3 people who are up your rear end so hard that you just don't have the stamina to keep dodging and running to get enough space to even do anything? Eventually I run out of stamina and I seem to get chain-stunned until I'm dead. I just spent a ~2 minute battle where I got maybe 5 attacks in because I was too busy trying to avoid someone's attack that was already coming at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not really a downside but kind of pointless because Dancer will gently caress you up real bad

As long as it doesn't do anything lame like ruin yet another questline, then I'm willing to take that chance :getin: