Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just realized I never played Bully, which is strange, because I was a huge Rockstar fan around the time it came out. Here's to hoping it doesn't look like blurry flabby rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

enojy posted:

Just realized I never played Bully, which is strange, because I was a huge Rockstar fan around the time it came out. Here's to hoping it doesn't look like blurry flabby rear end.

Even if it does, it's easily the best game they've ever done, slightly edging out Vice City.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ugh I didn't even notice Bully, can't ignore it at that price.

RIP Rockstar Vancouver, you are missed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

after researching, stardust vanguards has no bots so the only mode you can play single player is a horde mode vs the AI designed and balanced for co-op. not gonna get it even though its cool.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is Short Peace on ps3 any good? I'm down for side scrolling action, but what exactly is it?

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Nickoten posted:

I'm eyeing Beyond: Two Souls and Alien: Isolation. For $11 a piece they don't seem like bad buys. Any opinions at those prices?

Alien: Isolation is pretty good. I stopped playing it for a while and tried to get back and was clueless where I left off. Some of the "go here" markers on your map are goofy/clunky.

But it's a great retro Alien 1 tech vibe game. It looks fuckijg beautiful though. The strange part, if you play the game right, you should never see the Alien.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

I almost want to make a thread about this, because so many PS2 and PSX/N64 games have wide screen options and like, who the gently caress was playing them in wide screen in the late 90s early 00s? What wide screen TVs were there even?

Widescreen was popular in Japan quite a while before it was in the West. Most of the best games were made there back then, and we benefit from it now, i guess.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

This flash sale looks pretty amazing, and I'm not entirely sure what to choose aside from maybe doom classic and dead island goty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

There were wide screen CRTs that no one had cause they were even heavier than 4:3 ones and had insane curvature. Not to mention projectors.

I had a widescreen 26" SD CRT back in the day, it took two people to carry it to my room. HD CRT's were like twice as heavy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

I almost want to make a thread about this, because so many PS2 and PSX/N64 games have wide screen options and like, who the gently caress was playing them in wide screen in the late 90s early 00s? What wide screen TVs were there even?

They existed but were definitely on the obscenely expensive side at that time, DVD's were made to take advantage of them since I think 1997 although there were a few holdouts like Criterion (who had their stuff in widescreen but not anamorphic) because DVD Players kind of sucked at dealing with them in the early days and would ruin the picture quality.

But yeah, Japan got in on it pretty fast, there were even some anamorphic LaserDiscs released in Japan.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

This flash sale looks pretty amazing, and I'm not entirely sure what to choose aside from maybe doom classic and dead island goty.

sleeping dogs and wolfenstein

this goes to anyone who hasn't played either

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What's the best way to purchase Wolfenstien on Ps4, isn't there a doc expansion pack?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The expansion pack is completely stand alone.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Seriously, if Wolfenstein TNO is on sale you get it NOW. It's a fantastic shooter that plays VERY well and has a far better and far more engaging story than any game with "Wolfenstein" in its title deserves. It's one of the best shooters I've played in the last five years.

Wolfenstein TOB (the expandalone) isn't quite as good. The shooting is still the same so that's good, but the maps, encounters, and story are all not nearly as good. That said, it's still very, VERY fun for the most part and it's worth grabbing on sale as well.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I've already got Both wolfenstein TNO and Sleepy Dogs: Digital Edition (thanks PS+)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Is Short Peace on ps3 any good? I'm down for side scrolling action, but what exactly is it?

It's a weird experiment between six (IIRC) anime films and an endless runner. Not for everyone, but I liked it enough since I got it for like 4 and it didn't overstay its welcome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

If you have a PS4 I would hold off on getting Dead Island as a remastered version is coming out in May.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

why are mark of kri and its prequel first wave ps2 games for ps4? were they groundbreaking at the time? they seem to play like generic action games with zero modern polish by today's standards

Mark of Kri was a really good showoff of what the PS2 could do for dynamic animation early on, yes. It's basically the first God of War/Arkham style brawler where you have situationally aware freeflow combat.

It's also basically Disney's Conan the Barbarian, which is why I was all over it and Rise of the Kasai on sale. :allears:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm ready for Persona3 FES to be a PS2 Classic already.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah Wolfenstein was actually pretty great, and was my contender for most underrated of the year since I think people expected it to be poo poo. It's also oddly affecting, considering its an alt-history story with mechanized Nazis.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Whats better, Singularity or Wolfenstien?

Also if Lichdom Battlemage ever goes on sale Don't even consider it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JXeX9sYYE

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'll admit, despite my backlog, pretty tempted to snag Alien: Isolation GOTY edition + Evil Within for just a hair over $40. I just know they're such obvious Halloween sale fodder, which is possibly when I'd get around to playing them.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Whats better, Singularity or Wolfenstien?
Tough call, without knowing how well TNO plays on PS3. Having played both, I'm going to say Singularity since you may eventually play TNO on PS4, and TNO will probably ruin Singularity but not vice-versa.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 23, 2016

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I haven't had any problems with TNO on ps3, and neither has my brother, who went and got most of the trophies. Also nice, yeah I'll wait a bit for a remaster. Now to struggle to get the 5 infected kill trophy on 2 platforms. Might still pick it up for ps3 eventually since I am a dumb completionist with 76% trophies for it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Metro Redux for $7 or whatever. Worth it? How linear/story-heavy is it? And does it veer more towards bleak apocalyptic FPS or survival horror FPS?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Wolfsheim posted:

Metro Redux for $7 or whatever. Worth it? How linear/story-heavy is it? And does it veer more towards bleak apocalyptic FPS or survival horror FPS?

For $7, Metro Redux is very worth it. It's very linear and story-heavy, and is a combination of both kinds of FPS you mentioned.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I made an alienation thread for hype posting about this game out on tuesday

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...0#post459071016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just remembered, TNO is the only game I've actually platinumed on PS4 so far. You can get the most difficult achievement easy (Completing the game on the hardest setting) by just doing the final stage on hard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tno had little right to be as good as it was

really it was the most fun i've had in a FPS in a while

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

Just remembered, TNO is the only game I've actually platinumed on PS4 so far. You can get the most difficult achievement easy (Completing the game on the hardest setting) by just doing the final stage on hard.

Actually I think they fixed that in the 1.01 patch. You can still do it with the 1.00 version of the game but that requires a disc copy now that PS4 downloads have the latest patch baked in.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Forgot I signed up for the mirrors edge closed beta.

They gave an extra code, if taken please quote and say taken so its obvious its taken or whatever.

I haven't even downloaded myself yet, I'll try it out later

Code: C86R-T7N3-NJ98

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

SectumSempra posted:

Forgot I signed up for the mirrors edge closed beta.

They gave an extra code, if taken please quote and say taken so its obvious its taken or whatever.

I haven't even downloaded myself yet, I'll try it out later

Code: C86R-T7N3-NJ98

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

axleblaze posted:

On that note does anyone have any opinions on Foul Play, Rollers of the Realm or Fat Princess Adventures?

Foul Play is a neat little beatemup that has the setting of everyone acting out a play. Every locale is a different set and all the enemies are dudes in costumes. The combat itself centers around a batman-esque counter mechanic that gives you different options when you counter such as throwing dudes, beating them down, or launching them into the air in order to keep your combo going. Health is also centered around a "crowd interest" mechanic where as long as you don't get too beat up, you can make a comeback by beating up more dudes.

Overall I really liked it, but I'm a beatemup fan in general. Even saying that, every level feels a bit long in the tooth. The combat is fun and all, but the enemy variance in two to three waves is sometimes really low. It's especially bad early on because not all the moves are unlocked. So there's some low points, but the boss fights are really fun which makes the game that much more interesting the more you stick with it.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

korrandark posted:

Has anyone played Blues and Bullets? How is it? The first two episodes dropped this week and I know it's already finished on Steam.

I just finished Episode 1. I like it. Graphics aren't the best but it's black and white with splashes of red so it's not really distracting. Best description of the gameplay I've seen is Telltale meets Sherlock Holmes meets Murdered Soul Suspect. There's some covered based shooting sections as well.

The main concern I've seen for holding off is that it was a year between episodes 1 and 2 being completed and noone seems to know when the remaining 3 will come out.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Mark of Kri was a really good showoff of what the PS2 could do for dynamic animation early on, yes. It's basically the first God of War/Arkham style brawler where you have situationally aware freeflow combat.

It's also basically Disney's Conan the Barbarian, which is why I was all over it and Rise of the Kasai on sale. :allears:

I wanted to play Mark of Kri when it first came out but never got around to it. I generally don't play PS2 games now because it's hard to step back so far graphically. However, I noticed the Sony store said Mark of Kri is upscaled to 1080p for the PS4. Can I expect that to make much of a difference, or will it still just look like a PS2 game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Grey posted:

I wanted to play Mark of Kri when it first came out but never got around to it. I generally don't play PS2 games now because it's hard to step back so far graphically. However, I noticed the Sony store said Mark of Kri is upscaled to 1080p for the PS4. Can I expect that to make much of a difference, or will it still just look like a PS2 game?

it will look like a ps2 game but sharper. fps will be more stable too if there were drops in the original. still probably be in 4:3 with black bars unless it had a widescreen option back then. i have a bunch of ps2 on ps4 games and they all look better than they did but very much like old games stil

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 24, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How is Beyond: Two Souls? If I liked Heavy Rain and Until Dawn will I like it? My fiancee and I like to co-op those kind of choose your own adventures

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How is Beyond: Two Souls? If I liked Heavy Rain and Until Dawn will I like it? My fiancee and I like to co-op those kind of choose your own adventures

If you liked Heavy Rain you'll probably at least enjoy Beyond.

The original PS3 version had a non-linear storytelling method which honestly kinda sucked. To my understanding the PS4 version allows you to play chronologically and if so you should do it that way.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I liked the non-linear story. Would be a bit samey chronologically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah I thought Heavy Rain was okay but Beyond is awful bar one of the endings which is hilarious.

• Locked thread