Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Teaching/playing my first game of Food Chain Magnate today - anything to keep an eye out for? Any teaching videos that aren't Rahdo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

I am now tempted to set up a PBF of Eldritch so you can see the difference. I own Arkham and all its expansions, I have enjoyed it, but I know I'm not going to play it again when I can play Eldritch. When people tell you it is the same game with the same feel but much more streamlined without any loss of involvement, they are not kidding. It is more rewarding and enjoyable in every way.

Honestly, I have been thinking about picking up Eldritch Horror for some time now. One is a world map, and the other is just the town of Arkham, so it's not like they are mutually exclusive. It seems like the kind of game I would really enjoy.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Re: FCM

The first few turns are really slow, sample turns and should be treated as such. make sure to go through all the phases (even if nothing happens during them!) with the player aid out in order to let people see what's going on.

The player aid has an awesome reference of all the cards in the middle. Encourage people to use that rather than looking at cards, and if you don't want to spread the cards out on the table (only the Unique / 1x cards really need to be shown) don't worry too much about it. Make sure you don't have the typoed version (Executive VP should be 10, not 6).

Make sure people know that you need to hire somebody the turn before they are going to be used, which means advertising is tricky. Walk everyone through the selling flow:

Turn N: Recruit Marketing Trainee
Turn N+1: Play Marketing Trainee, Recruit Errand Boy, Place billboard advertising drink type.
End of Turn N+1: Advertisements tick, drink demand placed on house(s).
Turn N+2: Play Errand Boy, producing drink(s) to feed to house(s).

And the recruiting flow:

Turn N: Recruit employee. EMPLOYEE IS NOW ELIGIBLE TO BE TRAINED.
Turn N+1: Play employee. EMPLOYEE IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO BE TRAINED, because they are in play.

There are 4 standard openers in the game: turn 1 Errand Boy, Marketing Trainee, Recruiting Girl, Trainer. Doing anything else will probably lose you the game (though things open up a lot really quickly, you really really need to get your organization grown either financially or card-wise). If you don't know what to do, pick Recruiting Girl.

Definitely play with Milestones, but don't be afraid to encourage them to pick lower ($100-200) Reserve cards. It can cut a turn off the game, which is nice for new players.

Re: Rutibex & Eldritch:

You should get it, it's good and holds up better than Arkham if you're not looking to houserule, but the theme's more adventure game and less mythos horror. I recommend picking up the first expansion along with the game, it's a "flesh things out" pack that gives you a whole bunch of extra cards for the encounter decks.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

Yeah a bit, but I'm the only one that bothered to read the rules book so they stop being house rules and just ending up being "the rules" :twisted:

You recommending Edlritch Horror wouldn't be in good faith, but recommending your heavily house ruled Arkham Horror, without mentioning your house rules, or even that you have them is?

Andarel posted:

Re: Rutibex & Eldritch:

You should get it, it's good and holds up better than Arkham if you're not looking to houserule, but the theme's more adventure game and less mythos horror. I recommend picking up the first expansion along with the game, it's a "flesh things out" pack that gives you a whole bunch of extra cards for the encounter decks.

Honestly, if Rutibex plays EH, I can see one of two things happening. One is that he(?) sees it as a good game, but doesn't replace his houseruled AH, and continues to recommend it insincerely. Two is that he doesn't like it because it isn't his AH, but better.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Andarel posted:

There are 4 standard openers in the game: turn 1 Errand Boy, Marketing Trainee, Recruiting Girl, Trainer. Doing anything else will probably lose you the game (though things open up a lot really quickly, you really really need to get your organization grown either financially or card-wise). If you don't know what to do, pick Recruiting Girl.

I think this has been whittled down to two: recruiting girl or trainer. There was a thread on BGG where someone had looked at online openings and openings other than RG or trainer have basically disappeared at this point.

Also this thread on BGG has some :words: on (four-player) opening strategies:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1556001/so-you-want-be-food-chain-magnate-frame-work-4-pla

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Fair enough. I messed around a bit with MT/EB openings and really wasn't satisfied with them so I'm not that surprised.

They might still work as a way for a more experienced player to handicap, though that's a pretty C-list use.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I could see EB working as an opener sometimes if the map is really scarce on drinks, that and having an exclusive freezer is pretty nice, but 99% of the time I think RG or Trainer is the right choice. By the way, maybe it's just me and my group that didn't notice this rule the first couple of times we played, but only the CEO can manage manager-type employees, in other words for the first phase of the game you can have at most three black cards in play at once.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Honestly, I have been thinking about picking up Eldritch Horror for some time now. One is a world map, and the other is just the town of Arkham, so it's not like they are mutually exclusive. It seems like the kind of game I would really enjoy.

It is much better game, and I say that as someone that occasionally enjoys AH. All the GOOs play very differently vs the sameyness of AH. You have different focuses with each.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managed to play Factory Fun again, haven't played it in years. It's so easy to setup and play, I like the game a lot :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Managed to play Factory Fun again, haven't played it in years. It's so easy to setup and play, I like the game a lot :)

Bizarre, we just played it again, also not for years, this past week! Agreed entirely, took maybe a bit over an hour to teach to two new players, set up, play, put away.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, game is so simple to explain and play and it really feels rewarding to build these big complex complicated mazes of factories. Some people don't seem to like it for the real time elements but I've enjoyed every game of it I've had.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, game is so simple to explain and play and it really feels rewarding to build these big complex complicated mazes of factories. Some people don't seem to like it for the real time elements but I've enjoyed every game of it I've had.

The realtime stuff just governs which machine you get. And honestly, speeds up the game, it would add a lot of ap if there was, say, an auction instead.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Jedit posted:

I am now tempted to set up a PBF of Eldritch so you can see the difference. I own Arkham and all its expansions, I have enjoyed it, but I know I'm not going to play it again when I can play Eldritch. When people tell you it is the same game with the same feel but much more streamlined without any loss of involvement, they are not kidding. It is more rewarding and enjoyable in every way.

I know you were making a point, but I'm up for an AH PBF just to see what all the fuss is about.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

You won't know the true meaning of fun, until you buy Fields of Fire. You too, Broken Loose.

Broken Loose posted:

See, what makes Crackbone a good poster is that he knows that there is a point where it's appropriate to recommend Space Hulk, no matter how bad the game is considered. He knows not just that logic will have his back but also that it'll be precisely what was requested. None of this "I need a party game about the Founding Fathers played with sock puppets for more than 5 players --> Arkham HorrorFields of Fire" universal recommendation crap.

I'm talking to you right now like you're not a gimmick, because for gently caress's sake I'm so making GBS threads tired of gimmicks. If you are a gimmick, it's the least funny gimmick I have seen in my 14 years in this godforsaken self-exile to this particular jewel-encrusted hellhole of the internet, and I have seen some poo poo. You're not even the first of your kind-- I could think of a dozen YCS posters back in 2007 using the same gimmick. If you're actually a gimmick, just stop posting. Go back to EvE Online where you came from, go gently caress with Goonswarm in whatever war they're doing, troll the Star Citizen thread, whatever. Just leave.

If you're not a gimmick, then do us all a favor (including yourself) and never recommend Fields of Fire again. Even Eldrith HorrorFields of Fire second edition is strictly superior and is coming pretty soon, really, this time I'm not lying-- literally the same game but better. There will never be a circumstance where FoF is the "best" game for a recommendation like how Space Hulk might eventually be the best game for somebody's recommendation. No one likes it, even ironically.

'Ia! Ia! FoF Fhtagn!

What happened to your Russian Civil War with Vodka and a crocodile AAR, BTW?

EDIT:

theroachman posted:

I know you were making a point, but I'm up for an AH PBF just to see what all the fuss is about.

Stelas did it.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 23, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

'Ia! Ia! FoF Fhtagn!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up a copy of Fields of Fire. I just wish I could find a copy at a reasonable price. Even for obscure board games it is one of the harder ones to find.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

taser rates posted:

I could see EB working as an opener sometimes if the map is really scarce on drinks, that and having an exclusive freezer is pretty nice, but 99% of the time I think RG or Trainer is the right choice. By the way, maybe it's just me and my group that didn't notice this rule the first couple of times we played, but only the CEO can manage manager-type employees, in other words for the first phase of the game you can have at most three black cards in play at once.

Well that's kind of an important rule that we haven't been playing with.

While on the topic of FCM questions, is it possible to put in houses that straddle tiles? If so, how are distances measured for these tiles?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Big McHuge posted:

Well that's kind of an important rule that we haven't been playing with.

That's a huge game-affecting rule that is mentioned multiple times - it's a shame you missed it but on the other hand now you can re-discover the game :v:

Big McHuge posted:

While on the topic of FCM questions, is it possible to put in houses that straddle tiles? If so, how are distances measured for these tiles?

Yes, that's 100% fine. You count distance to a restaurant starting from the nearest tile the house has at least one square in. Put another way, a house that straddles a tile border is in both tiles, or technically they can exit the house from anywhere - use whichever is closer to your restaurant when counting range.

Hope this link works it will answer your question I'm sure http://play.boardgamecore.net/fcm/help.html#help08

e: Remember that this is different than for restaurants: the lines on the restaurant corner are the only entrances (unless you have a drive-thru). You count range from the TILE the entrance is on. Being right on the border of a tile doesn't let you "skip" the tile the entrance is actually on. In a way it's like your restaurant is really only a 1x1 square disguised as a 2x2 :goleft:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 23, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Are there any games about running a movie studio? It seem like it would be perfect for a heavy euro style thing but I can't find any.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

Are there any games about running a movie studio? It seem like it would be perfect for a heavy euro style thing but I can't find any.

There's this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/904/dream-factory

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Rutibex posted:

You could use arkhan horror with eldritch horror and a bunch of mini pnp boards to play each city as a smaller game in an overall eldritch horror campaign

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Banana Man posted:

You could use arkhan horror with eldritch horror and a bunch of mini pnp boards to play each city as a smaller game in an overall eldritch horror campaign

A bold idea, fairly tempting!

However, I already have Talisman as my go-to "massive bloated game that shouldn't even be played". I've never actually been tempted to get the expansions for Arkham, the game feels big enough as it is.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wait? You don't own the AH expansions? loving poser.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Fat Samurai posted:

Didn't think anyone cared. I might be in quite comfortable situation irl (namely, leeway to do stupid poo poo and keep stuff lying all around the place) to revive it pretty soon. I definitely have all the game state data noted down for such an occurence.

[edit] Also, I have a plenty of vodka and various slavic moonshines stocked, but that goes without saying.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 23, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Quote is not edit

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PBS Newshour posted:

The Producer: 1940-44 is exactly what you're asking for. It was released at Spiel last year. Looks gorgeous, but the game didn't grab me on first glance and apparently there's some huge issues with the rules translation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jedit posted:

The Producer: 1940-44 is exactly what you're asking for. It was released at Spiel last year. Looks gorgeous, but the game didn't grab me on first glance and apparently there's some huge issues with the rules translation.

Oh man, this looks cool. Hopefully they get those rule issues fixed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Millenium Blades was a hit with my group, although weirdly enough I was a bit cold on it, but probably because I didn't realize just how much math I needed to do. There's definitely a lot of looking at cards, figuring out how to get one to work, and figuring out what your theoretical maximum score is, keeping in mind things like order of cards played. It kinda made me flash back to those times in high school where I would go to a math competition or something (yes, these are real things), but overall more fun. I'd definitely play it again, and the real time aspect is done really well, and like most other L99 games there are a poo poo ton of setups and variants so it definitely has some longevity if you enjoy the base game.

Also the box is sorta cheaply printed since I think some text is already rubbing off. Not sure if this also applies to the cards since I sleeve them, but you should still probably sleeve the cards because they will get manhandled a LOT.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GrandpaPants posted:

Also the box is sorta cheaply printed since I think some text is already rubbing off. Not sure if this also applies to the cards since I sleeve them, but you should still probably sleeve the cards because they will get manhandled a LOT.

Are there any sleeves that aren't hella expensive that don't slide off each other?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

Are there any sleeves that aren't hella expensive that don't slide off each other?

I don't know what the standard for hella expensive is, but the answer is likely no. I think matte sleeves slide less, but they're also more expnensive. The 800 or so you'd need will cost about $50?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm just going to use penny sleeves and not stack the deck super high. And refill it when needed. Might sleeve as I play and put sleeved cards at the bottom of the pile next game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The one time I played Arkham Horror like 8 years ago remains the worst 6 hour boardgame experience I've ever had.

e: gently caress, pretend I quoted one of those people talking about Arkham Horror.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Lichtenstein posted:

Didn't think anyone cared. I might be in quite comfortable situation irl (namely, leeway to do stupid poo poo and keep stuff lying all around the place) to revive it pretty soon. I definitely have all the game state data noted down for such an occurence.

[edit] Also, I have a plenty of vodka and various slavic moonshines stocked, but that goes without saying.

You should do an LP of Fields of Fire.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The one time I played Arkham Horror like 8 years ago remains the worst 6 hour boardgame experience I've ever had.

e: gently caress, pretend I quoted one of those people talking about Arkham Horror.

So, I run a tight ship when I moderate AH. I will also admit that event cards are a read to yourself thing, resolve and talk to your neighbours about it when it's not your turn.

All you really need to know as a player is how skills, combats and closing gates works. You wanna accumutate things and close gates. Faster rather than not. Don't die (but if you do, it's not like you're out of the game.)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Andarel posted:

The first few turns are really slow, sample turns and should be treated as such. make sure to go through all the phases (even if nothing happens during them!) with the player aid out in order to let people see what's going on.

The player aid has an awesome reference of all the cards in the middle. Encourage people to use that rather than looking at cards, and if you don't want to spread the cards out on the table (only the Unique / 1x cards really need to be shown) don't worry too much about it. Make sure you don't have the typoed version (Executive VP should be 10, not 6).

Make sure people know that you need to hire somebody the turn before they are going to be used, which means advertising is tricky. Walk everyone through the selling flow:

Turn N: Recruit Marketing Trainee
Turn N+1: Play Marketing Trainee, Recruit Errand Boy, Place billboard advertising drink type.
End of Turn N+1: Advertisements tick, drink demand placed on house(s).
Turn N+2: Play Errand Boy, producing drink(s) to feed to house(s).

And the recruiting flow:

Turn N: Recruit employee. EMPLOYEE IS NOW ELIGIBLE TO BE TRAINED.
Turn N+1: Play employee. EMPLOYEE IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO BE TRAINED, because they are in play.

Definitely play with Milestones, but don't be afraid to encourage them to pick lower ($100-200) Reserve cards. It can cut a turn off the game, which is nice for new players.

taser rates posted:

Thanks for these - game went really smoothly! Three of us were obliterated by a fourth who just got a couple key milestones early and then hung in until the end because he rushed an early Zeppelin (because Zeppelin) and could just generate a ton of drinks. Good, good game, dang, though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The General posted:

So, I run a tight ship when I moderate AH. I will also admit that event cards are a read to yourself thing, resolve and talk to your neighbours about it when it's not your turn.

All you really need to know as a player is how skills, combats and closing gates works. You wanna accumutate things and close gates. Faster rather than not. Don't die (but if you do, it's not like you're out of the game.)

To be fair, the owner of the game had never actually played it before. He thought he read and understood the rules, but he was wrong. To add to it, a bunch of us had invited our SOs to experience a 'games day' for the first time so it was a terrible experience all around. Basically every turn consisted of someone saying 'ok, can I do this?' and then we all watched TV for 5-10 minutes while the owner frantically flipped through the rule book to find the answer. I don't remember much about the game, but I think somehow my character ended up instantly going insane and spending the entire grueling game locked inside an asylum or something. Obviously I don't remember the rules, but I remember thinking it was like landing on a 'lose 5 tuns' spot when each turn lasts an hour, making an already painful experience even worse.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That's not just about AH though is it?

Played Cyclades for the first time last night. The auction mechanic was neat (although shuffling the god boards was unnecessarily annoying) but I ended up being crushed with no way to get back up - the bonus from Apollo just isn't big enough to make it worthwhile. Making losing players sit out a turn sucks. Is it worth trying again?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
That feeling when you are barely able to understand the rules of Twilight Struggle yet and playing the AI to try to figure out the absolute basics, being challenged and trying to figure out how card A interacts with card B and get a better sense of how to predict someone else's cards but you're still so bad that the AI is a good challenge...

...and someone on your friends list tells you STOP PLAYING THE AI, IT'S SOOOO BAD

*looks at record against AI*

*sighs and shuts down game*

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I don't want to play against randoms anyway, so it sounds like you have friends who are telling you "I'm going to crush you every single game but you should play me anyway". I'm playing with friends who are also crap at the game, but if I didn't have them to play against, I'd play against the A.I.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Playing Arkham Horror with a moderator definitely improves the experience, especially if they can set up the game beforehand for a 3-4 hour single-game event, rather than trying to wedge it into a whole day of gaming. At the same point, I have not played in a few years, and I don't feel the need to ever play it again. I mean, I would play it if someone else wanted to, but only if everyone else has played it before so it doesn't take forever. I'd rather spend 3-4 hours learning a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Just play Eldritch.