Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Steven Universe returns May 12 for In Too Deep, a four week event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfgKw030Ak

4 weeks as in 40 minutes, or way more than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Since it's starting on Thursday and not Monday, I'm thinking it's gonna be four episodes one a week.

Also, the source of the Lum avatars spreading through ADTRW is a mystery.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

Who is giving out those avatars, Im seeing them everywhere

When I followed the SU thread I made avatars all the time but I haven't been in That thread since that last had new episodes but I'll make you one if you want something.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Jack Gladney posted:

4 weeks as in 40 minutes, or way more than that?

I think it's going to be two episodes back to back the first week, then one a week for the following three weeks.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Gann Jerrod posted:

I think it's going to be two episodes back to back the first week, then one a week for the following three weeks.

I'd rather it be a week long "bomb" than that; at least the bomb is more upfront about not getting more episodes for a while.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gaunab posted:

I'd rather it be a week long "bomb" than that; at least the bomb is more upfront about not getting more episodes for a while.

Well, we're getting "Summer of Steven" starting in June after "In Too Deep" in May and continuing into June so if there is a break between those two blocks then it's going to be like, a few weeks at most.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Just realized that Jessica Walter played a villain-of-the-week in Mystery Incorporated. Is it harder to keep one's vocal range when screaming? Because that's how I recognized her (she totally sounded like Mallory Archer for about five seconds). Also, what's up with her characters having such messed-up relationships with their son?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

shadowvine118 posted:

'Anybody have any predictions on what the trend for children's' programming will be by and through the 20's? I'm guessing the trend of shorter length episodes will continue. Will kids even watch traditional television by then?

Guy Mann posted:

In the post-network television world everything is a Bee & Puppycat-esque kickstarter fiasco of tiny episodes and long production cycles that will make people pine for the days of Gravity Falls' release schedule.

the anime industry is going to claw its way out of the abyss by taking over the streaming market. their business model is actually perfectly suited to it, and they're moving in that direction

Applewhite posted:

Bee & Puppycat's failing wasn't its long production cycle, but the fact that it distilled all the most boring and inscrutable parts of Adventure Time into a single show.

the word you're looking for is 'twee'

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 24, 2016

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

When I followed the SU thread I made avatars all the time but I haven't been in That thread since that last had new episodes but I'll make you one if you want something.

Do they still post alot of fan art in the SU thread?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

max4me posted:

Do they still post alot of fan art in the SU thread?

Occasionally. It's not pages upon pages of nothing of fanart, especially not now that SU is back on track.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a shame, but at least he had a rich career. Check out what IMDB says he starred in. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5131154/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_16

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

the anime industry is going to claw its way out of the abyss by taking over the streaming market. their business model is actually perfectly suited to it, and they're moving in that direction
the business model that revolves around bluray sales at exorbitant prices to otaku?? they're hosed

anime piracy's far too rampant and easy and they've shown no interest in fighting it to take advantage of the streaming medium in any way

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Isn't most anime nowadays simulcasted by Crunchyroll?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yea and people pirate it anyway

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Now he can hang out with Lionel Wilson and they can both demand Muriel to get them some dinner.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

icantfindaname posted:

the word you're looking for is 'twee'

If only being obnoxiously twee was the only sin of Bee and Puppycat. If only.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah Jesus you weren't kidding, I'm four minutes into the first episode and this is the first time I've ever wanted to beat a cartoon to death.

e: this is like what an alien who hated people would make if you described Steven Universe to them.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 24, 2016

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

X_Toad posted:

Just realized that Jessica Walter played a villain-of-the-week in Mystery Incorporated. Is it harder to keep one's vocal range when screaming? Because that's how I recognized her (she totally sounded like Mallory Archer for about five seconds). Also, what's up with her characters having such messed-up relationships with their son?

If I recall correctly, she was also on Law and Order SVU murdering children so her waitlisted grandson could take their place at an elite daycare, so sometimes she's got their back. :sun:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neeksy posted:

If only being obnoxiously twee was the only sin of Bee and Puppycat. If only.

I'm not sure exactly what you guys were expecting from a cartoon called loving "Bee and Puppycat"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I quite liked the pilot for Bee and Puppycat but after that is was diminishing returns and a doubling down on twee. The slow release pace has not helped things and it just makes the money I threw at kickstarter seem even more wasted.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I thought that was lost to the bowels of Kickstarter Hell like so many projects that I'm so glad I held off on funding and can't mention the name of for fear of throwing this thread terminally off topic.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 24, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This isn't as substantive as the other criticisms of it, but I liked the art style in the pilot and really don't like the art style they switched to after that.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yea and people pirate it anyway

People pirate lots of poo poo, but Hulu, Netflix and crunchyroll have a ton of Anime. Why bother pirating when it's so convenient to just stream it. It's not like Anime is the exception, people just love the hassle of downloading pirated media over just hitting play on their smart tv? Not likely.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

People pirate lots of poo poo, but Hulu, Netflix and crunchyroll have a ton of Anime. Why bother pirating when it's so convenient to just stream it. It's not like Anime is the exception, people just love the hassle of downloading pirated media over just hitting play on their smart tv? Not likely.
You dont have to torrent to pirate anime, my brother who's still in high school watches almost all anime over sites like kissanime which are streaming but pirated

Also the other obstacle to online streaming being a business model for future animation is where the money will come from. Netflix and Hulu are pretty much eating money to make their original series (and I know Netflix's profits are shrinking Y2Y as is their library of content). Internet ad revenue has and continues to be total poo poo. Since we're talking about Bee & Puppycat I should point this out: it's been a year since Cartoon Hangover has posted a new cartoon. Look at how they're having to make do just to keep the channel afloat financially. Countdowns countdowns countdowns 107 facts 107 facts 107 facts lists lists lists lists. And when all else fails, showing content from other channels like Senpai Club. They're one of the highest-subscribed animation channels on Youtube and despite that, ad revenue is so poo poo on Youtube that they have to put out a ton of non-animation content just to collect as much of it as they can to... maybe make a profit??? (except they needed Kickstarter to do Bee & Puppycat in the first place..)

I'd say we're still about 5-10 years out from Netflix/Amazon/Hulu dipping seriously into the animation market beyond 1-2 shows a year and maybe that's when we talk about a post-television world for animation. Currently Netflix has Bojack Horseman and their deal with Dreamworks, Amazon has a kids show called Danger & Eggs in production, and Hulu... uh...... they had The Awesomes at one point??? they dont seem to give a gently caress I guess

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 24, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

raditts posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you guys were expecting from a cartoon called loving "Bee and Puppycat"

I'd agree if it wasn't for the pilot setting up expectations

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Quest For Glory II posted:

You dont have to torrent to pirate anime, my brother who's still in high school watches almost all anime over sites like kissanime which are streaming but pirated

Also the other obstacle to online streaming being a business model for future animation is where the money will come from. Netflix and Hulu are pretty much eating money to make their original series (and I know Netflix's profits are shrinking Y2Y as is their library of content). Internet ad revenue has and continues to be total poo poo. Since we're talking about Bee & Puppycat I should point this out: it's been a year since Cartoon Hangover has posted a new cartoon. Look at how they're having to make do just to keep the channel afloat financially. Countdowns countdowns countdowns 107 facts 107 facts 107 facts lists lists lists lists. And when all else fails, showing content from other channels like Senpai Club. They're one of the highest-subscribed animation channels on Youtube and despite that, ad revenue is so poo poo on Youtube that they have to put out a ton of non-animation content just to collect as much of it as they can to... maybe make a profit??? (except they needed Kickstarter to do Bee & Puppycat in the first place..)

I'd say we're still about 5-10 years out from Netflix/Amazon/Hulu dipping seriously into the animation market beyond 1-2 shows a year and maybe that's when we talk about a post-television world for animation. Currently Netflix has Bojack Horseman and their deal with Dreamworks, Amazon has a kids show called Danger & Eggs in production, and Hulu... uh...... they had The Awesomes at one point??? they dont seem to give a gently caress I guess

I think YouTube screwed over animation by changing how ad revenue was calculated. It used to be based on views, but now it's about length of time spent watching or something. Great for people who talk over videogames, bad for animators.

I had no idea it had been over a year since CH posted a new cartoon, though! Jeeze. I don't know why they insist on using traditional animation for their web cartoons. There's no shame in Flash/Toon Boom when you're that strapped for cash, guys....

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think the big issue right now is that the money for kickstarting traditional animation for a full series isn't really there. A lot of people whining about the KS don't seem to understand how expensive and time consuming TV quality traditional animation can be to make, and I get the feeling that there would be even more complaining if they switched to cheaper vector animation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They also undercut themselves on the Kickstarter in my opinion, especially when you take out the fulfillment funds from the donation total. It's pretty fuckin tough to get an animation Kickstarter funded unless you undercut.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I'd agree if it wasn't for the pilot setting up expectations

Yeah, the pilot was a great set up. We got to meet Bee, see her personal goals in life, and see her start working towards solving each of them. Plus her first little adventure was set up well to give the show a nice mix of slice of life and action and a hint at romance. And then after the kickstarter, a lot of her agency was lost real fast

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

I think the big issue right now is that the money for kickstarting traditional animation for a full series isn't really there. A lot of people whining about the KS don't seem to understand how expensive and time consuming TV quality traditional animation can be to make, and I get the feeling that there would be even more complaining if they switched to cheaper vector animation.

Yeah, just over 10 years ago the biggest cartoon on the internet was made by two brothers and they animated and voice acted everything themselves while still putting out shorts on a weekly basis.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And it was also able to seed in story arcs too (The formula), granted the arc was a load of nonsense (Because it was Strongbad Freaking Emails) but that is largely moot!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 24, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, just over 10 years ago the biggest cartoon on the internet was made by two brothers and they animated and voice acted everything themselves while still putting out shorts on a weekly basis.

It's kinda telling that the only other major survivor of that era of Internet Animation is freaking Neurotically Yours, and well the quality and output for that one is pretty pathetic(2 weeks per episode, almost always 2 minutes or less in length, and most of the time the subject matter doesn't benefit at all from being animated, not to mention the creator is a wishy-washy moron)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Every one of those cartoons is the same. Stupid squirrel talks in a high pitched voice about things the narrator doesn't like while the girl just stands there having boobs.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The biggest cartoon on the internet should have been Space Tree the Space Tree.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Eskimo Bob is the early 00's equivalent of Flesicher's Popeye cartoons.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I must be weird since I didn't even like the pilot of Bee and Puppycat. Even then it felt like someone took GIR from Invader Zim and filtered it through the more twee elements of Adventure Time to make the protagonist, then doubled down on trying to be melodramatic in the 2nd part with ~fairytale tragedy backstory~ but without having gone through enough development to get anybody to care whether or not the characters succeed or fail.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

Every one of those cartoons is the same. Stupid squirrel talks in a high pitched voice about things the narrator doesn't like while the girl just stands there having boobs.

That guy must be 40 years old by now

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

drrockso20 posted:

It's kinda telling that the only other major survivor of that era of Internet Animation is freaking Neurotically Yours, and well the quality and output for that one is pretty pathetic(2 weeks per episode, almost always 2 minutes or less in length, and most of the time the subject matter doesn't benefit at all from being animated, not to mention the creator is a wishy-washy moron)

All the actual talented people got real animation jobs. The Brothers Chaps and the Cicieregas worked on Gravity Falls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

All the actual talented people got real animation jobs. The Brothers Chaps and the Cicieregas worked on Gravity Falls.

Thanks for reminding me this exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

What happened to LegendaryFrog? When I was 10 he was the king of Newgrounds - he must have faded into total irrelevance.

(The only other guy I remember is Egoraptor, who is now a Youtube sensation that pays other people to animate for him).