Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HIJK posted:

That's why these books feel like a DnD campaign, he's just describing what people are doing in cinematic terms which is how you get poo poo like "a grin that was nothing like a smile" or whatever.

If I was in a DnD campaign that was this boring and involved creepy fairy-sex I would leave.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PJOmega posted:

Hey, Bridge 4 (5?) had plenty of character development. The people who ran it? Less so.

I want Shen to be a PoV character.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

He's really funny.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well let's hope so.

Aug 15, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want Shen to be a PoV character.

Chapter Title: Voidbringer Tendencies

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've been busy writing about real art this week, if anyone was wondering.

But lol:

quote:

Since Imre was such a haven for music and drama, you might think I spent a great deal of time there, but nothing could be further from the truth. I had been there only once. Wilem and Simmon had taken me to an inn where a trio of skilled musicians played: lute, flute, and drum. I bought a short beer for ha’penny and relaxed, fully intending to enjoy an evening with my friends….

But I couldn’t. Bare minutes after the music started I practically fled the room. I doubt very much you’ll be able to understand why, but I suppose I have to explain if things are to make any sense at all.

I couldn’t stand being near music and not be a part of it. It was like watching the woman you love bedding down with another man. No. Not really. It was like….

It was like the sweet-eaters I’d seen in Tarbean. Denner resin was highly illegal, of course, but that didn’t matter in most parts of the city. The resin was sold wrapped in waxy paper, like a sucking candy or a toffee. Chewing it filled you with euphoria. Bliss. Contentment.

But after a few hours you were shaking, filled with a desperate hunger for more, and that hunger grew worse the longer you used it. Once in Tarbean I saw a young girl of no more than sixteen with the telltale hollow eyes and unnaturally white teeth of the hopelessly addicted. She was begging a sailor for a sweet, which he held tauntingly out of reach. He told her it was hers if she stripped naked and danced for him, right there in the street.

She did, not caring who might be watching, not caring that it was nearly Midwinter and she stood in four inches of snow. She pulled off her clothes and danced desperately, her thin limbs pale and shaking, her movements pathetic and jerky. Then, when the sailor laughed and shook his head, she fell to her knees in the snow, begging and weeping, clutching frantically at his legs, promising him anything, anything….

That is how I felt, watching the musicians play. I couldn’t stand it. The everyday lack of my music was like a toothache I had grown used to. I could live with it. But having what I wanted dangled in front of me was more than I could bear.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, except those two situations are nothing alike. It's pretty lovely to compare Kvothe desperately wanting to be part of something he's lost to a girl who isn't in a right state of mind and being taken advantage of. Or even that first situation, where he compares a mutual relationship between two people vs. a passion he develops on his own or with a group of people. I mean, what, is music suddenly going to lose interest in him and walk out or something? He just needs to be more proactive about it for him to "get it back" or whatever.

edit: am I learning to read this correctly now? The writing does look shittier and shittier the closer I look at it.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Music is such a slut, messing around with those loving jocks when I'm the only one who really loves her

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Right. Rothfuss tries to convey a really deep, really strong feeling of need there. But he uses terrible examples of other random characters instead of, say, something from the Kvothe backstory. Maybe a little tidbit from his kid life or something. That could have been nice. Nicer, in any case.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's crazy that he manages to write about music in a way that sorta conveys that he is almost completely unfamiliar with it. Like if a deaf alien came down from deep space and tried to describe music to his deaf alien buddies.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's crazy that he manages to write about music in a way that sorta conveys that he is almost completely unfamiliar with it. Like if a deaf alien came down from deep space and tried to describe music to his deaf alien buddies.

This is true. One of the scenes that I remember best is the one where he plays the difficult piece as if it's easy and the easy piece as if it's difficult.

I just laughed the whole time because it was so ridiculous. I figured it was one of those things that you'd only really pick up if you have a deep background in music though?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If Rothfuss has ever played an instrument beyond beginner level I'd be stunned. He writes like a person who daydreams about how awesome it'd be if they could pull out a guitar and play his favorite songs on it at a whim. The only serious musicians who freak out when they hear music and can't be a part of it are... well none, unless they have some sort of mental issue because pretty much any talented musician is able to sit and enjoy listening to others perform. Unless it's awful, but you don't have to be a musician to be put off by badly performed music.

It's just one of the (many) things Rothfuss writes about Kvothe that makes no sense unless his goal is to paint Kvothe as a completely hosed up and/or severely elitist rear end in a top hat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's just one of the (many) things Rothfuss writes about Kvothe that makes no sense unless his goal is to paint Kvothe as a completely hosed up and/or severely elitist rear end in a top hat.

Remember that Kvothe grew up around musicians, and then when they were all brutally murdered he used music as a coping mechanism for depression and insanity. He quite clearly has an unhealthy level of attachment to the ability to make music.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

Remember that Kvothe grew up around musicians, and then when they were all brutally murdered he used music as a coping mechanism for depression and insanity. He quite clearly has an unhealthy level of attachment to the ability to make music.

But this is not how a traumatized musician would react to hearing music after making traumatic associations with it. It just doesn't quite make sense.

Like this line:

quote:

The everyday lack of my music was like a toothache I had grown used to. I could live with it. But having what I wanted dangled in front of me was more than I could bear.

This is the reaction someone has to not having access to their iPod. This someone who passively listens to music and wants to listen to it all the time. A mindless consumer, an aural glutton.

Musicians can make their own music wherever they go, even if it's just humming. In fact a musician will likely be a person who constantly taps rhythms, hums songs, recalls lyrics out of no where, and actively seeks out other musicians to learn from them. (Source: I've been a singer for 15 years and I do all of this.)

If Kvothe was as musically literate as Rothfuss wants him to be then music would be something he makes as an unconscious act. If you've been raised on it, as a child, then it's a part of you and you don't just stop making music because you're traumatized. It's totally internalized, music ceases to be a product you make and becomes something that lives inside your bones. You can't stop doing music just because your parents died. It would be impossible. Music lives inside you, it takes you over, it grows inside you like a tree, even if you don't take care of it. You inhale music and breathe it out.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that Rothfuss is a musical illiterate that thinks listening to an mp3 player is any way comparable to the act of making music. It isn't.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 30, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

Even if he used it as a coping mechanism he didn't keep up with it and he sure as hell doesn't regularly have that sort of reaction to music he can't be a part of. I played an instrument as a little kid and continued up through college. I haven't played for years and I still do things such as tap out music like HIJK mentioned. His reaction about not being able to be a part of music is impossible for someone of his supposed skill level.

Rothfuss's writing in regards to music is terrible and almost as bad as his poetry.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even if he used it as a coping mechanism he didn't keep up with it and he sure as hell doesn't regularly have that sort of reaction to music he can't be a part of. I played an instrument as a little kid and continued up through college. I haven't played for years and I still do things such as tap out music like HIJK mentioned. His reaction about not being able to be a part of music is impossible for someone of his supposed skill level.

Rothfuss's writing in regards to music is terrible and almost as bad as his poetry.

Kvothe is a musical prodigy. He found the "sad" note.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The music poo poo makes a lot more sense when you keep in mind that Kvothe is Rothfuss's D&D bard and any music he would have played would've been done by announcing "I play a mournful dirge on my pan flute" and rolling a d20 to see just how mournful it is

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Evil Fluffy posted:

And we all know how he feels about poetry!

Rothfuss has admitted on his blog that he has no musical ability or aptitude. It explains a lot about why he understands it so poorly. If he wrote what he knew from experience, Kvothe would be Manet, staying years at a college without graduating because of complacency and lack of desire to progress.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The music poo poo makes a lot more sense when you keep in mind that Kvothe is Rothfuss's D&D bard and any music he would have played would've been done by announcing "I play a mournful dirge on my pan flute" and rolling a d20 to see just how mournful it is
With the sad note saying "sad" a natural one.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It was a Move Silently check in three parts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 21: “She shrugged easily.”

In Chapter 47, “Barbs,” Kvothe summarizes his first few months or so in the University. He makes a little money, becomes friends with the interchangeable Wilem and Simmon, and he and Ambrose get into spats. He also begins to cultivate his growing notoriety by spreading rumours about himself. Kvothe continues to have spats with Ambrose, and notes that he was underestimating him.

quote:

You see, my dramatic entrance to the University had made quite a stir. I’d made my way into the Arcanum in three days instead of the usual three terms. I was the youngest member by almost two years. I had openly defied one of the masters in front of his own class and avoided expulsion. When whipped, I hadn’t cried out or bled.

On top of everything else, I had apparently managed to infuriate Master Elodin to such an extent that he had thrown me off the roof of the Crockery. I let that story circulate uncorrected, as it was preferable to the embarrassing truth.

All together, it was enough to start a steady stream of rumor around me, and I decided to take advantage of it. Reputation is like a sort of armor, or a weapon you can brandish if need be. I decided that if I was going to be an arcanist, I might as well be a well-known arcanist.

So I let slip a few pieces of information: I had been admitted without a letter of recommendation. The masters had given me three talents to attend, rather than make me pay a tuition. I had survived for years on the streets of Tarbean, living off my wits.

I even started a few rumors that were pure nonsense, lies so outrageous that people would repeat them despite the fact that they were obviously untrue. I had demon blood in me. I could see in the dark. I only slept an hour each night. When the moon was full I would talk in my sleep, speaking a strange language no one could understand.

Basil, my former bunkmate from Mews, helped me start these rumors. I would make up the stories, he would tell a few people, then together we would watch them spread like a fire in a field. It was an amusing hobby.

But my ongoing feud with Ambrose added to my reputation more than anything else. Everyone was stunned that I dared openly defy a powerful noble’s firstborn son.

There’s nothing particularly comic about Kvothe’s spreading of rumours, let alone satirical. One yearns for Baudolino and company fabricating the kingdom of Prester John and adding whatever they thought was cool at the time:

Baudolino posted:

For the rest, they had only to repeat what had been thought and said in previous years, with some embellishments. The land of Prester John dripped honey and was brimming with milk—and Rabbi Solomon was delighted to find echoes of Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy—the land knew neither serpents nor scorpions, the river Physon flowed there, which emerges directly from the Earthly Paradise, and in the land were found ... stones and sand, Kyot suggested. No, Rabbi Solomon replied, that's the Sambatyon. Shouldn't we put the Sambatyon in here, too? Yes, but later. The Physon flows from the Earthly Paradise and therefore contains ... emeralds, topazes, carbuncles, sapphires, chrysolite, onyx, beryls, amethysts, Kyot contributed. He had just arrived and didn't understand why his friends displayed signs of nausea. (If you give me one more topaz I'll swallow it, then poo poo it out the window, Baudolino cried.) By now, with the countless blest islands and paradises they had visited in the course of their research, they were all fed up with precious stones.

Abdul then proposed, since the kingdom was in the East, to name rare spices, and they chose pepper. Of which Boron said that it grows on trees infested with snakes, and when it is ripe you set fire to the trees and the snakes escape and hide in their lairs. Then you approach the tree, shake it, the pepper falls from the branches, and you cook it in some process that nobody knows.

"Now can we put the Sambatyon?" Solomon asked. "Oh, go ahead," the Poet said, "then it's clear that the ten lost tribes are on the other side of the river. Yes, let's mention them explicitly, so Frederick can also find the lost tribes and add another gem to his crown." Abdul observed that the Sambatyon was necessary because it was the insuperable obstacle that thwarts the will and heightens desire. In other words: jealousy. Someone proposed also mentioning an underground stream rich in precious stones, but he refused to pursue the idea, for fear of hearing someone say topaz again. On the testimony of Pliny and Isidore, they decided instead to place salamanders in those lands, snakes with four legs that live amid flames.

"It only has to be true and we'll include it," Baudolino said, "so long as we're not telling fairy tales."

Chapter 48, “Interlude—Silence of a Dfferent Kind” returns to the present briefly, and is abruptly from Bast’s point of view until dialogue begins. Bast is afraid of the silence surrounding Kvothe. This of course contradicts the text, which is mostly about Kvothe speaking. He isn’t even silent with Bast, so this passage is nonsensical when it’s followed by self-aggrandizing.

quote:

A year ago he had been fearless as any sane man can hope to be, but now Bast feared silence. Not the ordinary silence that came from a simple absence of things moving about and making noise. Bast feared the deep, weary silence that gathered around his master at times, like an invisible shroud.

quote:

Kvothe had a bite or two before he spoke. “Onward then. Music and magic. Triumph and folly. Think now. What does our story need? What vital element is it lacking?”

“Women, Reshi,” Bast said immediately. “There’s a real paucity of women.”

Kvothe smiled. “Not women, Bast. A woman. The woman.” Kvothe looked at Chronicler. “You have heard bits and pieces, I don’t doubt. I will tell you the truth of her. Though I fear I may not be equal to the challenge.”

Chronicler picked up his pen, but before he could dip it, Kvothe held up a hand. “Let me say one thing before I start. I’ve told stories in the past, painted pictures with words, told hard lies and harder truths. Once, I sang colors to a blind man. Seven hours I played, but at the end he said he saw them, green and red and gold. That, I think, was easier than this. Trying to make you understand her with nothing more than words. You have never seen her, never heard her voice. You cannot know.”

Kvothe motioned for Chronicler to pick up his pen. “But still, I will try. She is in the wings now, waiting for her cue. Let us set the stage for her arrival….”

In Chapter 49, “The Nature of Wild Things,” Kvothe continues this theme with an aside about how the woman he loved was a wild thing who must be approached carefully:

quote:

As with all truly wild things, care is necessary in approaching them. Stealth is useless. Wild things recognize stealth for what it is, a lie and a trap. While wild things might play games of stealth, and in doing so may even occasionally fall prey to stealth, they are never truly caught by it.

So. With slow care rather than stealth we must approach the subject of a certain woman. Her wildness is of such degree, I fear approaching her too quickly even in a story. Should I move recklessly, I might startle even the idea of her into sudden flight.

So in the name of slow care, I will speak of how I met her. And to do that, I must speak of the events that brought me, quite unwillingly, across the river and into Imre.

At the beginning of every term, students at the University must go through admissions again to determine their tuition fee. This is all summarised rather briefly. During Kvothe’s examination, Hemme pursues his grudge against Kvothe, and as a result the tuition fee is more than Kvothe can afford. He doesn’t want to borrow money from his friends, and he’s hiding his poverty from them anyways, he can’t get credit from the respectable moneylenders, and pickpocketing is too risky since he would be expelled at best. He resolves to find a moneylender “for desperate people,” or a loan shark to put it bluntly. Predatory moneylenders have a made-up fantasy name, “gaelet,” because “moneylender” is apparently too prosaic for this subversive fantasy epic. This will take him to Imre, the town near the University, and this for some reason deserves a chapter break.

In Chapter 50, “Negotiations,” Kvothe heads to Imre, and describes its culture. It’s proximity to the “governing hub of the Commonwealth,” Tarbean, and the University make it an affluent town. Many potentates with interests in Tarbean actually live in Imre, since it’s just two days of travel away. It’s still not explained why the Inquisition does nothing about the University, by the way. It’s also a centre of arts and music, which is distressing to Kvothe:

quote:

Since Imre was such a haven for music and drama, you might think I spent a great deal of time there, but nothing could be further from the truth. I had been there only once. Wilem and Simmon had taken me to an inn where a trio of skilled musicians played: lute, flute, and drum. I bought a short beer for ha’penny and relaxed, fully intending to enjoy an evening with my friends….

But I couldn’t. Bare minutes after the music started I practically fled the room. I doubt very much you’ll be able to understand why, but I suppose I have to explain if things are to make any sense at all.

I couldn’t stand being near music and not be a part of it. It was like watching the woman you love bedding down with another man. No. Not really. It was like….

It was like the sweet-eaters I’d seen in Tarbean. Denner resin was highly illegal, of course, but that didn’t matter in most parts of the city. The resin was sold wrapped in waxy paper, like a sucking candy or a toffee. Chewing it filled you with euphoria. Bliss. Contentment.

But after a few hours you were shaking, filled with a desperate hunger for more, and that hunger grew worse the longer you used it. Once in Tarbean I saw a young girl of no more than sixteen with the telltale hollow eyes and unnaturally white teeth of the hopelessly addicted. She was begging a sailor for a sweet, which he held tauntingly out of reach. He told her it was hers if she stripped naked and danced for him, right there in the street.

She did, not caring who might be watching, not caring that it was nearly Midwinter and she stood in four inches of snow. She pulled off her clothes and danced desperately, her thin limbs pale and shaking, her movements pathetic and jerky. Then, when the sailor laughed and shook his head, she fell to her knees in the snow, begging and weeping, clutching frantically at his legs, promising him anything, anything….

That is how I felt, watching the musicians play. I couldn’t stand it. The everyday lack of my music was like a toothache I had grown used to. I could live with it. But having what I wanted dangled in front of me was more than I could bear.

I promised myself I wouldn’t simply turn this into a riffing session, but passages like this tempt me. I could just post a smiley and be done with it. The image is compelling enough, but it’s more off-putting than anything, partly because of the anachronism. The passage is shocking after the volume of tepid description, which qualifies it as effective at least. But two problems are clear:

First, Kvothe’s association of music and instruments with a (defiled) female body is off-putting as opposed to insightful, since it’s not used very little for narrative. It’s also odd since teen Kvothe has been basically asexual up to this point, even his interactions with Denna was quite chaste. How does this relate to him being raped in Tarbean? Rothfuss explores mature subjects, but the story’s essays into sexuality are clumsy to say the least.

Second, that’s not how anyone yearns for music.

After these psychosexual musings, Kvothe arrives at the door of Devi the moneylender:

quote:

A gaelet would simply have you beaten, or robbed, or both. This was not smart. I was playing with fire.

But I didn’t have any better options. I took a deep breath, squared my shoulders, and knocked on the door.

I wiped my sweaty palms against my cloak, hoping to keep them reasonably dry for when I shook Devi’s hand. I had learned in Tarbean that the best way to deal with this type of man was to act with confidence and self-assurance. They were in the business of taking advantage of other people’s weakness.

I heard the sound of a heavy bolt being drawn back, then the door opened, revealing a young girl with straight, strawberry-blond hair framing a pixielike face. She smiled at me, cute as a new button. “Yes?”

“I’m looking for Devi,” I said.

“You’ve found her,” she said easily. “Come on in.”

[...]

“Please,” she said, gesturing to the desk. “Have a seat.”

She settled herself behind the desk, folding her hands across the top. The way she carried herself made me rethink her age. I’d misjudged her because of her small size, but even so, she couldn’t be much older than her early twenties, hardly what I had expected to find.

Devi blinked prettily at me.

Devi is amiable, but is not willing to lend just the trifle Kvothe needs. She will only led four talents.

Kvothe’s fiscal troubles will occupy many pages, but for the moment we have :siren: a story element that employs the fantastical :siren:

quote:

“Okay,” I said, resigned. “Where do I sign?”

She gave me a slightly puzzled look, her forehead furrowing slightly. “No need to sign anything.” She opened a drawer and pulled out a small brown bottle with a glass stopper. She laid a long pin next to it on the desk. “Just a little blood.”

I sat frozen in my chair, my arms at my sides. “Don’t worry,” she reassured me. “The pin’s clean. I only need about three good drops.”

I finally found my voice. “You’ve got to be kidding.”

Devi cocked her head to one side, a tiny smile curling one edge of her mouth. “You didn’t know?” she said, surprised. “It’s rare that anyone comes here without knowing the whole story.”

“I can’t believe anyone actually…” I stalled, at a loss for words.

“Not everyone does,” she said. “I usually do business with students and ex-students. Folk on this side of the river would think I was some sort of witch or a demon or some nonsense like that. Members of the Arcanum know exactly why I want blood, and what I can do with it.”

“You’re a member of the Arcanum too?”

“Former,” she said, her smile fading a little. “I made Re’lar before I left. I know enough so that with a little blood, you can never hide from me. I can dowse you out anywhere.”

“Among other things,” I said, incredulously, thinking of the wax mommet I’d made of Hemme at the beginning of the term. That was just hair. Blood was much more effective at creating a link. “You could kill me.”

In the end it’s rather tepid, even if leads to the most interesting conflict in the second book. Consider that this is the same motif as the "pound of flesh" from Merchant of Venice, but there's barely any horror or tension to it, even in the next book. She's a bloodsucking moneylender, but the narrative will not go anywhere with this. Kvothe declines for the moment, but he has to get the money for tomorrow, and intends to get it from his friends. But he happens to pass by a pawnshop which he happens to enter. He asks for a suitable lute, and when handed one he covertly un-tunes it so he haggle down the price.

quote:

To all appearances I held the lute casually, carelessly. But in my heart I was clutching it with a white-knuckled fierceness. I cannot hope for you to understand this. When the Chandrian killed my troupe, they destroyed every piece of family and home I had ever known. But in some ways it had been worse when my father’s lute was broken in Tarbean. It had been like losing a limb, an eye, a vital organ. Without my music, I had wandered Tarbean for years, half-alive, like a crippled veteran or one of the walking dead.

He buys the lute with his meagre savings, and returns to Devi to borrow four talents. Alongside Lorren, Devi is by default one of the most interesting figures of the book. Kvothe has that problem of Mary Sue characters that everyone either loves or hates him immediately. So the ones that don’t fit this scheme end up being interesting anomalies.

quote:

I needed the tips of my fingers intact, so I pricked the back of my hand and let three drops of blood slowly gather and fall into the small brown bottle. I held it out to Devi.

“Go ahead and drop the pin in there too.”

I did.

Devi swabbed the bottle’s stopper with a clear substance and slid it into the mouth of the bottle. “A clever little adhesive from your friends over the river,” she explained. “This way, I can’t open the bottle without breaking it. When you pay off your debt, you get it back intact and can sleep safe knowing I haven’t kept any for myself.”

“Unless you have the solvent,” I pointed out.

Devi gave me a pointed look. “You’re not big on trust, are you?” She rummaged around in a drawer, brought out some sealing wax, and began to warm it over the lamp on her desk. “I don’t suppose you have a seal, or ring or anything like that?” she asked as she smeared the wax across the top of the bottle’s stopper.

“If I had jewelry to sell, I wouldn’t be here,” I said frankly and pressed my thumb into the wax. It left a recognizable print. “But that should do.”

Devi etched a number on the side of the bottle with a diamond stylus, then brought out a slip of paper. She wrote for a moment then fanned it with a hand, waiting for it to dry. “You can take this to any moneylender on either side of the river,” she said cheerfully as she handed it to me. “Pleasure doing business with you. Don’t be a stranger.”

I headed back to the University with money in my purse and the comforting weight of the lute strap hanging from my shoulder. It was secondhand, ugly, and had cost me dearly in money, blood, and peace of mind.

I loved it like a child, like breathing, like my own right hand.

JUST ROTHFUSS THINGS

quote:

I learned things of a less academic nature as well. Some of my Arcanum bunkmates taught me a card game called dogsbreath. I returned the favor by giving an impromptu lesson in psychology, probability, and manual dexterity. I won almost two whole talents before they stopped inviting me back to their games.

ROTHFUSSIAN ANACHRONISMS

quote:

Imre was a haven for the arts. There were musicians, dramatists, sculptors, dancers, and the practitioners of a hundred other smaller arts, even the lowest art of all: poetry. Performers came because Imre offered what every artist needs most—an appreciative, affluent audience.

This is a bizarre attitude in a pre-modern oral culture, but it’s not actually the first such instance:

quote:

My father stood for a second or two looking off into space and tugging at his lower lip. Finally he shook his head. “Can’t remember the end of that last line. Lord but I dislike poetry. How can anyone remember words that aren’t put to music?” His forehead creased with concentration as he mouthed the words silently to himself.

Poetry employs things like meter and rhythm that make it musical. The word “lyric” even originates from poetry: Ancient Greek sang or recited lyric poetry accompanied by a lyre.

It doesn’t make sense even in the narrative, since Kvothe and his father come from a theatrical background where they acted out plays in verse. I suppose it’s an ironic jab, but it’s a strange attitude considering how much the genre owes to poetry.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 10, 2017

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
The weird hatred of poetry only contributes to the overall vibe that Kvothe is just a modern 20-something nerdy dude from a middle class background stuck in a fantasy setting. It doesn't make sense for the setting or for the character's background as a performer. Doesn't Ambrose recite poetry at some point and Kvothe has another snarky thing about how much he hates it? I can't remember this part of the book very well, partly because it's been a year since I read it and partly because Ambrose is just such a boring, dull antagonist. We're supposed to hate him for being an smug aristocrat even though Kvothe is equally as elitist about everyone and everything he encounters.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Shakespeare's greatest ambition as an artist was to be recognized as a poet of merit. His plays were his business, one of the ways he earned a living. The fact that they're recognized as some of the greatest works in the English language owes to his incredible skill as a poet. A musician would have an even higher opinion of poetry, particularly a lyricist. I'm not sure it even makes sense from a worldbuilding standpoint that a troupe of well-educated traveling entertainers would express a dislike of poetry as an art form. You could get the same effect by having Kvothe be really snooty and picky about what he considers to be good poetry, and it would make sense to look down on someone for liking hokey or halfassed poetry (as he sorta does in the first Ambrose meeting), but hating poetry itself makes no sense for Kvothe or for his father.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I never bothered exposing myself to much fantasy so I dunno if this is typical in the lower rungs of the genre, but Kvothe is really loving unlikable, good grief.

Drizzt Do'Urden might have been functionally invincible but from what I can remember from his books I've read (over fifteen years ago) at least the guy kept an open mind about things.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Oxxidation posted:

I never bothered exposing myself to much fantasy so I dunno if this is typical in the lower rungs of the genre, but Kvothe is really loving unlikable, good grief.

Drizzt Do'Urden might have been functionally invincible but from what I can remember from his books I've read (over fifteen years ago) at least the guy kept an open mind about things.
It's in first-person. First person has the advantage of exposing the reader to the narrator's unique voice, which is really useful if you're good enough to be funny, charming, or witty, as then the reader comes away thinking the character is clever and well-realized. But it also has the opposite effect when the character is annoying, opinionated, prejudiced, or wrong. Used properly this can still be an advantage if, say, you're not supposed to think the character is right, and you're using the first-person narrator's obvious mistaken opinion as the basis for dramatic irony. Or if the character isn't supposed to be likeable because they're an antihero or you're making a point. The problem is that this can backfire on you if it isn't done right because the reader will blur the distinction between the character's opinion and your own if you aren't really good at establishing their voice and making clear when they're being an rear end in a top hat, and will think you are the rear end in a top hat.

Most genre fantasy is in third person. This insulates the author from a direct association with the thoughts of the characters and to some extent allows the blame for being unlikable at the feet of the specific character that annoys the reader. But it can also isolate the reader from realizing what an unrealistic dick a character is, because they're not always getting a sense of what the character is thinking. And a bad writer can also use this to disguise the fact that they're compelling a character to do something that doesn't really make any sense or isn't motivated by anything. Kvothe can't just go to Imre in a first-person narrative because he needs to have an actual reason to be there, since he's relating his own thoughts and history.

Kvothe being unlikable just comes down on whether you think he was supposed to be unlikable. Since he's narrating this himself in his own future we'd probably expect some kind of narrative wink or outright recognition that past-himself was an immature prick.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Minor detail out of all of this crap, but:

quote:

The everyday lack of my music was like a toothache I had grown used to. I could live with it.
Anyone who has ever had a toothache knows that it doesn't work this way. You don't get used to it. poo poo gets worse, you now have an abscess and you double-over in agony until it's removed/released.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ohvee posted:

Minor detail out of all of this crap, but:
Anyone who has ever had a toothache knows that it doesn't work this way. You don't get used to it. poo poo gets worse, you now have an abscess and you double-over in agony until it's removed/released.

Errrr, people normalize pains all the time, including toothaches.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; depends on the type/cause of toothache.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, Kvothe's weird-rear end hatred of poetry really soured me on the guy, I'm not going to lie. Which may have been the intention, to have him still have shades of being an elitist prick?

Also jivjov, (and I'm being honest here, because I do like you; you're a pure soul), do me a favour and pick up Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, it's a fraction of the length of one of Rothfuss' book and it completely blows it out of the water: Wolfe can do in six pages what Rothfuss takes a hundred to do, I garuntee.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yeah, but pure what?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kvothe's attitude toward poetry is the same one that every Intro to Creative Writing student who signed up to get asspats for their bad fiction has when the TA tells them it's part of the curriculum

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 1, 2016

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah, Kvothe's weird-rear end hatred of poetry really soured me on the guy, I'm not going to lie. Which may have been the intention, to have him still have shades of being an elitist prick?

Also jivjov, (and I'm being honest here, because I do like you; you're a pure soul), do me a favour and pick up Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, it's a fraction of the length of one of Rothfuss' book and it completely blows it out of the water: Wolfe can do in six pages what Rothfuss takes a hundred to do, I garuntee.

What, are you Anna Stubblefield?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Does he ever change his mind about that or are you supposed to assume it's the character's bias and a personal flaw? Seems weird for a student of name/word magic to dismiss poetry.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ague Proof posted:

Does he ever change his mind about that or are you supposed to assume it's the character's bias and a personal flaw? Seems weird for a student of name/word magic to dismiss poetry.

He never changes his mind about it, but there's no indication that we're meant to see it as a personal flaw either.

That is to say, it is a personal flaw, but it's Rothfuss's flaw, not Kvothe's.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Last night I had a hard time falling asleep, so I read some Whitman. "Passage to Orient". It's flawed. It's Whitman's trademark magniloquence, but brought down by some unimaginative Orientalism.

Now I reading about what it really means to be poor.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My Creative Writing TA was forced to share an office with a guy who put up a Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven" poster and he made sure to point out that it was not poetry when I met him during office hours.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 22: “I shrugged nonchalantly...”

While reading the last entry, you may have noticed that we’re through 50 chapters of The Name of the Wind, plus a short prologue. The whole book is 92 chapters, plus a short prologue and epilogue.

This may sound unbelievable, but it’s true. You’ve read an (admittedly uneven) critical summary of the first 50 chapters. You will likely have noticed that barely anything has happened in terms of story. The book has plenty of incident and happenstance, but barely anything substantial. At the end, we’ll have some fun by comparing the plot structure of The Name of the Wind to some other books.

Now, as for Kvothe being utterly unlikable, the problem is much more deeper than it might seem: the very structure of the prose works to make Kvothe not just unlikable, but worse, uninteresting. Earlier described Rothfuss’s prose as “plodding”. This is probably isn’t completely accurate. His prose is usually limp.

Here is an illustrative example of the tone:

quote:

For the first time in years, I used one of the tricks Ben had taught me for calming and sharpening the mind. It was harder than I remembered, but I did it.
[...]
I spent the rest of that night opening the doors of my mind. Inside I found things long forgotten: my mother fitting words together for a song, diction for the stage, three recipes for tea to calm nerves and promote sleep, finger scales for the lute.

Consider the rhythm of the first sentence. How does “I used one of the tricks Ben had taught me” sound? It’s very even. “Use” is very utilitarian when paired with “trick”. “Calming and sharpening the mind” are actually at odds, since both words have very different connotations: “calming” as a word is suitably stretched out, while “sharpening” is very harsh and, well, sharp. Paired together, the effect is indiffererent. “The mind” stops the sentence rather definitely. The whole sentence ends up being stretched out but even.

Rothfuss composes every single sentence of first-person narration in the same even tones. There’s no rise or fall. Every line flows in the same rhythm, from one to next. There is never a sense of ambiguity, incompleteness, discomfort, and so on. Often he has a snappy little sentence to tie things up, like “I was a fool,” just to make sure things end on a flat note.

This is how Kvothe is characterised: through self-contented prose. With 700 pages dominated by Kvothe’s ego, the effect is obscene.

The evenness of Rothfuss's prose means that it reads easily but is immensely dull. This is partly why reviewers and fans can read these book yet say nothing about them. It’s easily consumed.

Let’s go back to Chapter 47. You can observe yourself how even the rhythm is throughout this passage:

quote:

I studied in the Medica, learning more about the body and how to heal it. I practiced my Siaru with Wilem and helped him with his Aturan in exchange.

I joined the ranks of the Artificery, studying how to blow glass, mix alloys, draw wire, inscribe metal, and sculpt stone.

Most evenings I came back to Kilvin’s workshop to work. I chipped casings off bronze castings, washed glassware, and ground ore for alloys. It was not demanding work, but every span Kilvin gave me a copper jot, sometimes two. I suspected there was a great tally board in that methodical mind of his, carefully marking down the hours each person worked.

I learned things of a less academic nature as well. Some of my Arcanum bunkmates taught me a card game called dogsbreath. I returned the favor by giving an impromptu lesson in psychology, probability, and manual dexterity. I won almost two whole talents before they stopped inviting me back to their games.

I became tight friends with Wilem and Simmon. I had some few others, but not many, and none so close as Wil and Sim. My swift rise to E’lir alienated me from most of the other students. Whether they resented or admired me, most students held themselves apart.

And there was Ambrose. To deem us simply enemies is to lose the true flavor of our relationship. It was more like the two of us entered into a business partnership in order to more efficiently pursue our mutual interest of hating each other.

It’s limp. There’s no force to it. Every sentence follows another too evenly. The prose papers over all of these hardships with a sense of self-contentment. This is what Rothfuss achieves with his prose.

The next chapter is also a good example. In Chapter 51, “Tar and Tin”, Kvothe is learning the art of magic runes. He’s also found a place to practice music in a solitude: a closed-off and overgrown courtyard. While practicing, Kvothe hears the sounds of someone moving in the courtyard. He investigates and finds a large drainage grate that had caused a noise earlier. It’s covered in magic runes, which apparently keep it from being opened. Kvothe happens to be humming a song, and realises that it he can set magic runes to music. This moment of realization allows him to master sygaldry, but is running out of time to make money for Devi.

Again, observe the rhythm of the prose:

quote:

Sygaldry, simply put, is a set of tools for channeling forces. Like sympathy made solid.

For example, if you engraved one brick with the rune ule and another with the rune doch, the two runes would cause the bricks to cling to each other, as if mortared in place.

But it’s not as simple as that. [...]

I studied my sygaldry under Cammar. The scarred, one-eyed man was Kilvin’s gatekeeper. Only after you were able to prove your firm grasp of sygaldry to him could you move on to a loose apprenticeship with one of the more experienced artificers. You assisted them with their projects, and in return they showed you the finer points of the craft.

There were one hundred ninety-seven runes. It was like learning a new language, except there were nearly two hundred unfamiliar letters, and you had to invent your own words a lot of the time. Most students took at least a month of study before Cammar judged them ready to move on. Some students took an entire term.

Start to finish, it took me seven days.

How?

First, I was driven. Other students could afford to stroll through their studies. Their parents or patrons would cover the expense. I, on the other hand, needed to climb the ranks in the Fishery quickly so I could earn money working on my own projects. Tuition wasn’t even my first priority anymore, Devi was.

Second, I was brilliant. Not just your run-of-the-mill brilliance either. I was extraordinarily brilliant.

Lastly, I was lucky. Plain and simple.

I stepped across the patchwork rooftops of Mains with my lute slung across my back. It was a dim, cloudy twilight, but I knew my way around by now. I kept to the tar and tin, knowing that red tiles or grey slate made for treacherous footing.

There’s an even tone, and the flat note of “Lastly I was lucky. Plain and simple”.

And notice again one of those transitional gaps which Rothfuss includes and which don’t make much sense when Kvothe is continuously narrating his actions.

quote:

Hesitantly, I curled a hand around one of the cool metal bars and pulled. The heavy grate pivoted on a hinge and came up about three inches before stopping. In the dim light I couldn’t tell why it wouldn’t go any farther. I pulled harder, but couldn’t budge it. Finally I gave up and dropped it back into place. It made a hard noise, vaguely metallic. Like someone had dropped a heavy bar of iron.

Then my fingers felt something that my eyes missed: a maze of grooves etching the surface of the bars. I looked closer and recognized some of the runes I was learning under Cammar: ule and doch.

Then something clicked in my head. The chorus of “Ten Tap Tim” suddenly fit together with the runes I’d been studying under Cammar for the last handful of days.

Ule and doch are
Both for binding
Reh for seeking
Kel for finding
Gea key
Teh lock
Pesin water
Resin rock

Before I could go any further, sixth bell struck. The sound startled me from my reverie. But when I reached out to steady myself, my hand didn’t come to rest on leaves and dirt. It touched something round and hard and smooth: a green apple.

I emerged from the hedge and made my way to the northwest corner where the apple tree stood. No apples were on the ground. It was too early in the year for that. What’s more, the iron grate was on the opposite side of the small courtyard. It couldn’t have rolled that far. It must have been carried.

[...]

Later that night I fit the rest of the runes to music. It took a few hours, but when I was done it was like having a reference sheet in my head. The next day Cammar put me through an extensive two-hour examination, which I passed.

Chapter 52, “Burning,” concerns Kvothe’s demanding schedule, lack of money, and a class on advanced magic. Kvothe is so busy that his friends are warning of burnout. Literally, they say “burn out”. The phrase does become rather fitting when the scene shifts into the class for advanced magic, where Master Elxa Dal has the students engage in duels. These involve the students trying to mentally light the opponent’s candle by transferring heat while keeping their own candle unlit . The students bet on these covertly so Kvothe, desperate for money, handicaps himself for a duel. This escalates when his opponents gets to choose the source of the heat they’ll transfer, which is extremely dangerous. The battle of wills ends with Kvothe barely outlasting his opponent. Kvothe wins two talents, and Master Elxa Dal offers the obligatory kindness expected from a mentor character. Kvothe’s interchangeable friends then persuade Master Kilvin to ban him from the workshop to prevent burnout. We end with a pseudo-mysterious note when Kvothe, still in need of money, asks his friends what they know about “the Eolian”.

This chapter is very heavy on dialogue:

quote:

Elxa Dal stood between two medium sized braziers. In his well-trimmed beard and dark master’s robe, he still reminded me of the stereotypical evil magician that appears in so many bad Aturan plays. “What each of you must remember is that the sympathist is tied to flame,” he said. “We are its master and its servant.”

He tucked his hands into his long sleeves and began to pace again. “We are the masters of fire, for we have dominion over it.” Elxa Dal struck a nearby brazier with the flat of his hand, making it ring softly. Flames kindled in the coal and began to lick hungrily upward. “The energy in all things belongs to the arcanist. We command fire and fire obeys.” Dal walked slowly to the other corner of the room. The brazier at his back dimmed while the one he walked toward sparked to life and began to burn. I appreciated his showmanship.

Dal stopped and faced the class again. “But we are also servants of fire. Because fire is the most common form of energy, and without energy, our prowess as sympathists is of little use.” [...]

Three span ago, Dal had started making us compete against each other. He called it dueling. And though it was a welcome break from the monotony of lecture, this most recent activity had a sinister element too.

A hundred students left the Arcanum every year, perhaps a quarter of them with their guilders. That meant that every year there were a hundred more people in the world that had been trained in the use of sympathy. People who, for one reason or another, you might have to pit your will against later in life. Though Dal never said as much, we knew we were being taught something beyond mere concentration and ingenuity. We were being taught how to fight.

Did you notice how Rothfuss just used the term ”medium sized braziers”?

quote:

Fenton grinned, knowing his advantage. “No source.”

I grimaced. All we would have to draw from was our own body heat. Difficult in the best of circumstances, not to mention a little dangerous.

I couldn’t win. Not only was I going to lose my perfect rank, I had no way to signal Sovoy not to bet my last two jots. I tried to meet his eyes, but he was already caught up in quiet, intense negotiations with a handful of other students.

[...]

Fenton and I moved wordlessly to sit on opposite sides of a large worktable. Elxa Dal set two thick stumps of candle down, one in front of each of us. The object was to light your opponent’s candle without letting him do the same to yours. This involved splitting your mind into two different pieces, one piece tried to hold the Alar that your piece of wicking (or straw, if you were stupid) was the same as the wick of the candle you were trying to light. Then you drew energy from your source to make it happen.

Meanwhile the second piece of your mind was kept busy trying to maintain the belief that your opponent’s piece of wicking was not the same as the wick of your candle.

If all of this sounds difficult, believe me, you don’t know the half of it.

The chapter has redeeming qualities to it, since it involves Kvothe engaged in a genuine if minor struggle. But again the flaws impress more. First, a new mentor offering kindness has become formula by now, which is unforgivable in a story explicitly priding itself in its unconventionality. Second, after the duel Kvothe has to hide so that no one will see how shaken it left him, which ends up equating Kvothe’s desperation with vanity.

quote:

Five minutes passed with the whole class quiet as stones. Most duels lasted no longer than a minute or two, one person quickly proving himself more clever or possessed of a stronger will. Both my arms were cold now. I saw a muscle in Fenton’s neck twitch spastically, like a horse’s flank trying to shake loose a biting fly. His posture went rigid as he suppressed the urge to shiver. A wisp of smoke began to curl from the wick of my candle.

I bore down. I realized that my breath was hissing through my clenched teeth, my lips pulled back in a feral grin. Fenton didn’t seem to notice, his eyes growing glassy and unfocused. I shivered again, so violently that I almost missed seeing the tremor in his hand. Then, slowly, Fenton’s head began to nod toward the tabletop. His eyelids drooped. I set my teeth and was rewarded to see a thin curl of smoke rise from the wick of his candle.

Woodenly, Fenton turned to look, but instead of rallying to his own defense he made a slow, leaden gesture of dismissal and lay his head in the crook of his arm.

He didn’t look up as the candle near his elbow spat fitfully to life. There was a brief scattering of applause mixed in with exclamations of disbelief.

Someone pounded me on the back. “How bout that? Wore himself out.”

“No,” I said thickly and reached across the table. With clumsy fingers I prized open the hand that held the wicking and saw it had blood on it. “Master Dal,” I said as quickly as I could manage. “He’s got the chills.” Speaking made me realize how cold my lips felt.

But Dal was already there, bringing a blanket to wrap around the boy. “You.” He pointed at one of the students at random. “Bring someone from the Medica. Go!” The student left at a run. “Foolish,” Master Dal murmured a binding for heat. He looked over at me. “You should probably walk around a bit. You don’t look much better than he does.”

[...]

“What we saw today was a prime example of binder’s chills. The body is a delicate thing and a few degrees of heat lost rapidly can upset the entire system. A mild case of chills is just that, chilling. But more extreme cases can lead to shock and hypothermia.”

quote:

Actually, in the commotion that followed Fenton’s collapse I had slipped out and had a frightening few minutes in a back hallway. Shivers that were close to seizures had made it almost impossible to stay on my feet. Luckily, no one had found me shaking in the hallway, my jaw clenched so tight that I feared my teeth might break.

But no one had seen me. My reputation was intact.

Dal gave me a look that told me he might suspect the truth. “Come over,” he made a motion to one of the still-burning braziers. “A little warm won’t hurt you.”

I didn’t argue. As I held my hands to the fire, I felt myself relax a bit. Suddenly I realized how weary I was. My eyes were itchy from too little sleep. My body felt heavy, as if my bones were made of lead.

With a reluctant sigh I pulled my hands back and opened my eyes. Dal was looking closely at my face. “I’ve got to go.” I said with a little regret in my voice. “Thanks for the use of your fire.”

“We’re both sympathists,” Dal said, giving me a friendly wave as I gathered my things and headed for the door. “You’re welcome to it any time.”

In addition, there, the chapter contains one truly stunning passage about poverty and also serves as a good example of Rothfuss’s weak dialogue. In this case it’s the consistent anachronism of it: at times characters will speak like modern Americans. This extends from modern phrasing to characters not using titles to address each other. There is little sense of the fantasy or of historicity.

Together with the absolute evenness of tone, it’s one of the many factors that make these books so damnably twee.

quote:

Later that night in the Mews, Wilem opened his door to my knocking. “I’ll be damned,” he said. “Two times in one day. To what do I owe the honor?”

“I think you know,” I grumbled and pushed my way inside the cell-like little room. I leaned my lute case against a wall and fell into a chair. “Kilvin has banned me from my work in the shop.”

Wilem sat forward on his bed. “Why’s that?”

I gave him a knowing look. “I expect it’s because you and Simmon stopped by and suggested it to him.”

He watched me for a moment, then shrugged. “You figured it out quicker than I thought you would.” He rubbed the side of his face. “You don’t seem terribly upset.”

I had been furious. Just as my fortune seemed to be turning, I was forced to leave my only paying job because of well-intentioned meddling by my friends. But rather than storm over and rage at them, I’d gone away to the roof of Mains and played for a while to cool my head.

My music calmed me, as it always did. And while I played, I thought things through. My apprenticeship with Manet was going well, but there was simply too much to learn: how to fire the kilns, how to draw wire to the proper consistency, which alloys to choose for the proper effects. I couldn’t hope to bull through it the way I had learning my runes. I couldn’t earn enough working in Kilvin’s shop to pay back Devi at the end of the month, let alone make enough for tuition too.

“I probably would be,” I admitted. “But Kilvin made me look in a mirror.” I gave him a tired smile. “I look like hell.”

“You look like beat-up hell,” he corrected me matter-of-factly, then paused awkwardly. “I’m glad you’re not upset.”

Simmon knocked as he pushed the door open. Guilt chased surprise off his face when he saw me sitting there. “Aren’t you supposed to be, um, in the Fishery?” he asked lamely.

I laughed and Simmon’s relief was almost tangible. Wilem moved a stack of paper off another chair and Simmon slouched into it.

“All is forgiven,” I said magnanimously. “All I ask is this: tell me everything you know about the Eolian.”

ROTHFUSSIAN WISDOM

It's time for one of those passages!

quote:

It was true of course—I had been neglecting my friends even more than I had been neglecting myself. I felt a flush of guilt wash over me. I couldn’t tell them the full truth, that I needed to make the most of this term because it would very likely be my last. I was flat broke.

If you cannot understand why I couldn’t bring myself to tell them this, then I doubt you have ever been truly poor. I doubt you can really understand how embarrassing it is to only own two shirts, to cut your own hair as best you can because you can’t afford a barber. I lost a button and couldn’t spare a shim to buy a matching one. I tore out the knee of my pants and had to make due with the wrong color thread for mending. I couldn’t afford salt for my meals, or drinks on my rare evenings out with friends.

As many have already pointed out, this isn’t poverty. It’s financial instability. It’s once again an example of how the story’s class criticism boils down to entitlement.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 16, 2017

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
The salt bit in that last quote is kind of weird. I think you'd be more worried about having food to begin with rather than flavoring. Salt's not even a particularly expensive commodity. I think Rothfuss heard somewhere that back in Ye Olden Days, salt was "valuable," but he never bothered to read any proper history, so he doesn't understand why. Salt was valuable because it was a great trade good: you could gather it in bulk relatively easily, you can move it around fairly easily, and you can sell it practically anywhere. But it wasn't usually something expensive or considered a luxury. If you can afford meals at all, you can probably afford salt, barring environmental constraints (I think some parts of west/central Africa had really high prices for salt in the 18th century?). Besides, Kvothe is presumably not buying salt in massive quantities so he can use it for preparing food for winter or salting his daily catch of fish. He's just cooking with it and maybe adding some to his regular meals. This is a really pedantic point to be going on about, but it's just such a dumb, bullshit detail.

Grenrow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah my assumption was that salt at this tech level would be used as a preservative rather than a flavoring agent, but I doubt Rothfuss gave it that much thought.

Setting aside how laughable Kvothe's theme park account of poverty is in comparison to real world poverty, it doesn't even make sense when compared to Kvothe's own experiences. Dude lived homeless on the streets of brick-smashing and rape, but now suddenly real poverty is bumming drinks off your friends when you go to a restaurant and feeling embarrassed because you can afford to repair your clothes, just not in the specific color you'd want. It's like it's not even the same character talking

• Locked thread