Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
it has a steam page now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

it has a steam page now

It wont help

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
oh I know

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rhymenoserous posted:

it has a steam page now

But you still can't buy or download it. :psyduck:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
The Steam release is where the goal posts for "event that will save the game" reside these days. Despite that it seems like what little of the games fan base is left have accepted the inevitable after the recent layoffs.

Watching Wildstar fail was entertaining when the grognards responsible for its poor design were still running the show. Now all the top level management grognards have moved on to more prestigious and higher paying positions, people without connections like Timetravel have been laid off, and all thats left is a sad shell of a game with a despairing playerbase and some already overworked employees trying to keep the ship from sinking. Its just depressing at this point and a sad reminder of how hosed up the games industry is. Hopefully NCSoft will humanely pull the plug on this mess sooner than later.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

No the wildstar players can fester in it. If not for wildstar failing hard after the tera debacle we could have gotten Project HON. :colbert:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Seeing this post inspired me to fire up Reddit and see who r/Wildstar is doing these days. One of the most recent posts is a player census using the /who tool. Total number of sub max level characters logged on Saturday evening? 900. Ouch.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

CoffeeBooze posted:

Seeing this post inspired me to fire up Reddit and see who r/Wildstar is doing these days. One of the most recent posts is a player census using the /who tool. Total number of sub max level characters logged on Saturday evening? 900. Ouch.

You left out the best part which is the reply.

quote:

I remember that, but data can change, don't remember if it was roughly the same or not.
But I got exile numbers :)
860 players leveling certainly isn't bad, and people say most people play at 50, so why dont we add 60% to that
1376 50s...
We add those up, and we get...2236 players online at prime time (as an estimate, no proof as I guestimated the 50s) which is higher than say...RIFTS numbers on STEAM.

Of course let's just add an arbitrary 60% to that and make up some more numbers and then say it's great!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If they actually do ditch the faction barrier and unlock all race / class combos, I will definitely throw some money their way to show support for increased casualization.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The wildstar server would generate more revenue at this point if it was wiped to make a CoH revival server.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Frankly these days the Star Citizen omnishambles is far funnier and promises to last much longer.

Wildstar is basically an android match-three app that never breaks top 1000, compared to the money-burning supernova of SC.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
All jokes aside it would be nice if someone, somehow, could turn this mess around. Not for the sake of the game or devs, but rather for the housing system.

The housing system is seriously top notch and is probably hands down the best on the market at the moment. During the short time I was subscribed at release and a small period after I saw some absolutely insane stuff made with it. Seeing it go away means that no one will be as likely to copy a similar system down the road.

I mean, you can build literally just about anything with it. We're talking everything from small cities and towns ranging from fantasy, to sci-fi, to post apocalyptic, to clubs and redneck dives, to drat near non-euclidean haunted mansions, to literal freaking platformer game style "levels" complete with unique jumping mechanics and hazards that made you run through the level to get a full set of buffs.

Now being Wildstar, the problem is that they gated it behind a horrible progression system and made it next to impossible to find player creations without an addon that the community had to make to fix their terrible planning skills. Before that you had to get direct invites to someone's house (By them spamming chat.) to know it was worth going too. Which is just...What the gently caress? If you have no real means of letting players effectively browse content why even put such a creative housing system in in the first place? You're wasting part of the potential to hook people in, there. :psyduck:

Never mind it was next to impossible to group up using their default system to build any sort of community or do any sort of social activities that could leverage the system's they had made. Like organizing a race through some death trap of a platformer someone built for rare items. Which I saw once around release and was actually pretty neat but apparently burnt the guy out on the game due to how hard it was to get going.

So while the implementation of the housing system itself was aces the implementation of access to the system was a loving dire load of poo poo. poo poo that seriously suggests they had no idea what sort of people would be appealed too by adding a well designed housing feature in. And that they just added it in because "That's what good old school MMO's do, right?".

Unguided posted:

The wildstar server would generate more revenue at this point if it was wiped to make a CoH revival server.

If they brought CoH back and somehow managed to resume development NCSoft would probably make a ton of cash. I know a few people who are still pissed that game was shut down. I don't quite get it, but it's apparent that game was like virtual crack to some people.

That they supposedly used part of the CoH servers to host Wildstar just adds hilarity on top of this mess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 24, 2016

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Wildstar had the best housing system I have ever seen in an MMO, or even most single player games for that matter. Carbine's inability to leverage it to get more players in the door is just another example of how much of a boondoggle the game is. Some of the game's designers were quite clearly very good at what they did, but management's idiotic focus on HARDCORE RAIDING just let that stuff wither on the vine. Instead housing was relegated to an easy way too farm trade skill materials and little else. A few housing items already dropped in five mans. It couldnt have been that hard to add more housing items that dropped doing PvE and PvP content as an incentive to do stuff then some kind of system where players vote for "best house" and other awards.

Its just another example of how Wildstar had some pretty solid potential that was squandered by poor management.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
People said the same thing about saving APB to save the character creator. If something is good in a game another company will just make a better game with that feature in it, no need to save the dumpster fire.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
APB did end up getting saved though, but that's mostly because the company hosed up the game so badly they went bankrupt a month after releasing it. So whatever korean F2P company bought it got a virtually brand new AAA game for like, a couple million.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

randombattle posted:

You left out the best part which is the reply.

Of course let's just add an arbitrary 60% to that and make up some more numbers and then say it's great!

Comparing it to RIFT just adds an extra layer of desperation, too.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/app/376570/discussions/

Not even /r/wildstar shills this hard.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

lmao the review pinned to the top is from Olivar, who is one of those guys who has never shut the gently caress up about the game ever. I think he was the guy who always pretended to be a Chua with his posts, too.

The comments in it are pretty much what you'd expect.

"I just fear steam users are not ready for the challenge though :D"

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

John Dyne posted:

lmao the review pinned to the top is from Olivar, who is one of those guys who has never shut the gently caress up about the game ever. I think he was the guy who always pretended to be a Chua with his posts, too.

The comments in it are pretty much what you'd expect.

"I just fear steam users are not ready for the challenge though :D"

No one is ready for the challenge of tolerating Olivar.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
There's no way those posts aren't by nc soft employees

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mormon Star Wars posted:

If they actually do ditch the faction barrier and unlock all race / class combos, I will definitely throw some money their way to show support for increased casualization.

IIRC they planned to make all classes playable as all races, the reason they weren't initially (and now probably never will) is because they'd need to make new animations which the didn't budget money/man hours for initially.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I see Olivar finally stopped posting in character as a Chua. I cant say Im surprised that he still comes across as an rear end despite having dropped that particular act.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I love that youtube video of a Warplot Olivar links to in his review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqbIl2_vuBU

Hmm yes, a completely incomprehensible clusterfuck with some utterly bored-sounding people chatting over it. Sign me up.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

This is amazing.

Either those are NCSoft employees or paid reviews. It reads like an Amazon review page to me where they all type out novels about the virtues of this new pen.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

LOL! You can't even keep your own fabricated nonsense straight. Because you're just flatout lying at this point; as you said you uninstalled it and never came back after lvl16. You never mentioned lvl25 before. Your revamped lie is still irrelevant though, because lvl25 that's not enough for you to judge the actual entirety of the game by. Since the game isn't the same thing at low levels, as it is at end game. Which is the case for your average MMO. Your credibility was low before, now it's all but gone.

If you don't even have the attention span to keep your deliberate LIES straight, then it's not surprising that something more indepth, like this, wouldn't be able to either.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

LOL! You can't even keep your own fabricated nonsense straight. Because you're just flatout lying at this point; as you said you uninstalled it and never came back after lvl16. You never mentioned lvl25 before. Your revamped lie is still irrelevant though, because lvl25 that's not enough for you to judge the actual entirety of the game by. Since the game isn't the same thing at low levels, as it is at end game. Which is the case for your average MMO. Your credibility was low before, now it's all but gone.

If you don't even have the attention span to keep your deliberate LIES straight, then it's not surprising that something more indepth, like this, wouldn't be able to either.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

It's one of the comments on one of the Steam threads. He was replying to someone who didn't like the game based on their early game experience. The funny thing is, at level 16 you've basically seen all the examples of how the end game is, so there's really no reason to not base your opinion on that. It's a game where the main thing is standing out of the fire, with more complex patterns of fire as the game progresses.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

And you've also been able to experience interrupt armor on monsters, which is just loving dumb. The idea that you're team has to be totally on the ball or else you wipe is not only an un-fun idea, it's just asking for problems. Swear to god the people who made this game gave no thought to how actual people work.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Langosta Whiteman posted:

And you've also been able to experience interrupt armor on monsters, which is just loving dumb. The idea that you're team has to be totally on the ball or else you wipe is not only an un-fun idea, it's just asking for problems. Swear to god the people who made this game gave no thought to how actual people work.

That could have been a cool thing to make encounters quicker and easier for a group really in sync but making it a hard requirement really was a idiotic move.

Every good idea had to be hosed up in some way. It's like the one design rule Wildstar followed on every component.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ModeSix posted:

This is amazing.

Either those are NCSoft employees or paid reviews. It reads like an Amazon review page to me where they all type out novels about the virtues of this new pen.

Neither! These are the insane, die hard fans that love the game no matter what and understand they need to extol the virtues of it to get anyone to actually give NCSoft money to keep it going. Check out the Pathfinder Online thread; for every lovely MMO, there's going to be a few people who sound like battered housewives.

"Oh, no, it's just going through a rough patch, it's not as bad as it seems from the outside. Really, I've been with WildStar for two years now, you just don't see the good times."

It's scary how some nerds react to a sunk cost fallacy. The brain is loving weird.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

It's true. As hard as it is to believe, the people posting on the steam board are the exact same people who post on the wildstar forums with the exact same attitude. None of them are self aware enough to realize that they sound weird enough to chase potential people away from the game.

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Swear to god the people who made this game gave no thought to how actual people work.

Oh they knew exactly how the people work... Who still play the game. They just thought there would be more of them since they're always the loudest demographic.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Source your quotes.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Anoia posted:

Source your quotes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/376570/discussions/0/364039785161043827/#c364039785164008098

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Woo boy the desperation is palpable.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Anoia posted:

Woo boy the desperation is palpable.

It's funny because none of that has to do with my main point. Which you keep cowardly dodging and running away from. Which is that you foolishly passed judgement on the game's entire experience (in comparison to WOTLK's experience) before you even saw it play out. Which goes back to my point about you having a poor attention span. Since you can't even keep up with a simple argument, and are easily distracted.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

It's funny because none of that has to do with my main point. Which you keep cowardly dodging and running away from. Which is that you foolishly passed judgement on the game's entire experience (in comparison to WOTLK's experience) before you even saw it play out. Which goes back to my point about you having a poor attention span. Since you can't even keep up with a simple argument, and are easily distracted.

I imagine this is how Ignatius Reilly would argue about MMOs

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was very drunk last week and decided to see what this game was like now that it's F2P. After launching the game, I was met with the authenticator screen. Said authenticator was paired with a phone I haven't had in forever. After a quick search, it's way too much effort to remove the authentication from an account.
It's as if the game itself was telling me not to play.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I haven't played this bad game in about a yeart but when I had to remove my auth I just sent them a support email and it was removed in about 20 mins without any more questions. I agree that is probably more effort than it is worth though.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

I was very drunk last week and decided to see what this game was like now that it's F2P. After launching the game, I was met with the authenticator screen. Said authenticator was paired with a phone I haven't had in forever. After a quick search, it's way too much effort to remove the authentication from an account.
It's as if the game itself was telling me not to play.

Sorry Cupcake, but clearly youre not hardcore enough for Wildstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

mike12345 posted:

I imagine this is how Ignatius Reilly would argue about MMOs

WildStar was made for him.

I bet he'd play a Chua.

• Locked thread