Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

literally no one would ever expect trusting patches to be the correct solution to any quest and i love them for making it a possible solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Your Computer posted:

I think it would be a bit weird and out of nowhere for Priscilla to be eaten. There are a bunch of references to her with stuff like the Corvid enemies and other abominations who tell each other stories of her and her haven for beings with no place to go.

Yea that and the fact that the painting itself just doesn't appear to be there anymore is leading me to believe that it's been hidden away somewhere and ol' Big Al just learned of her through the dreams.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

ShadowMar posted:

literally no one would ever expect trusting patches to be the correct solution to any quest and i love them for making it a possible solution

Not only possible, but optimal

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a cop posted:

Jailer's robes (drops off the dudes who sap your hp bar) + loin cloth = butt pops out

Thank you. Now I can sleep tonight.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Thank you. Now I can sleep tonight.

np. It also pops out every time you jump and let go of the stick, so you don't roll when you land, like so

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is the Storm-dudes main gimmick really to gently caress up my camera and then fire-breath-oneshot me from outside visual range?

You really shouldn't lock on in the dragon phase of that fight. Well, except when he takes off to do his lightning spear attack, then lock onto him so you can dodge it when he throws. If you turn around and run at the start of the animation for either of the fire breath attacks, you can avoid them. (I never had any trouble with the first phase so long as I stood about 10-20 feet in front of the dragon's head with an unlocked camera, the tells are super obvious and nothing is really hard to dodge or avoid. I think you can just sprint away from him to get out of everything at this distance if you're being super cautious.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Let's take a moment to appreciate the best Souls waifu (who was not eaten, because that is a dumb theory)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Do they ever describe how Aldrich "devours" people or is it some magical thing?

I just figured he like, physically ate their flesh and magically made himself look like whoever he ate.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gnumonic posted:

You really shouldn't lock on in the dragon phase of that fight. Well, except when he takes off to do his lightning spear attack, then lock onto him so you can dodge it when he throws. If you turn around and run at the start of the animation for either of the fire breath attacks, you can avoid them. (I never had any trouble with the first phase so long as I stood about 10-20 feet in front of the dragon's head with an unlocked camera, the tells are super obvious and nothing is really hard to dodge or avoid. I think you can just sprint away from him to get out of everything at this distance if you're being super cautious.)

that's pretty far away. Just stand like pretty much in front of his head. Yeah everything has big tells and wind ups except maybe the one rear back into lunge stab, but you want to be in close so you can rush in and hit the neck while it's low. Like the grounded fire breath, if you run in you can get a bunch of hits in and do a huge chunk of damage.

You also don't even have to lock on when he flies, just manually track the camera. He always does the same movements, so it's easy. You can stay stationary and then roll at the right time, then rush to where he lands (again always in the same direction/distance).

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hey, lore nerds

:siren: go look at the fires you put out in farron my dudes :siren:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it seemed to me like locking on was ideal because he doesn't do the fire attack much if you stay close to his head. Staying close to it's head is the big thing.

That fight sucked. Probably my least favorite boss.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
I decided to try out a gimmick a friend of mine on Steam mentioned.

I went to the Cathedral of the Deep on a new character and never unlocked the front door to the Cleansing Chapel Bonfire. I went all the rear end-end way around to the very end of the level and unlocked the left door shortcut instead, the one next to the covenant located in the level. When that happened I asked a buddy if they wanted to do stupid poo poo, so I started summoning him and then started summoning dark spirits of any flavor while having a Giant's Seed activated, along with the dried finger.

What this basically meant was that I set up a really lovely obstacle course that people could NOT puzzle out for the most part. They kept wailing at the front door to the Cleansing Chapel and then ultimately black stoned out. There were a few smart ones. These ones I incorporated into my league of Tour Guides, eventually. Some of them came and just attacked me and had to be put down after an exchange of furious emotes.

My buddy then decided to go get the full Armor of the Sun set and got two torches and became a tour guide, pointing people and helpfully guiding them through Takeshi's Challenge. The most interesting group of four phantoms actually went berserk and started attacking each other. The lone survivor greeted me at the bonfire with a collapse emote and then became the second tour guide, until unfortunately the giant decided that he was very tasty.

I'd like to think it was a great social study.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Garin posted:

I decided to try out a gimmick a friend of mine on Steam mentioned.

I went to the Cathedral of the Deep on a new character and never unlocked the front door to the Cleansing Chapel Bonfire. I went all the rear end-end way around to the very end of the level and unlocked the left door shortcut instead, the one next to the covenant located in the level. When that happened I asked a buddy if they wanted to do stupid poo poo, so I started summoning him and then started summoning dark spirits of any flavor while having a Giant's Seed activated, along with the dried finger.

What this basically meant was that I set up a really lovely obstacle course that people could NOT puzzle out for the most part. They kept wailing at the front door to the Cleansing Chapel and then ultimately black stoned out. There were a few smart ones. These ones I incorporated into my league of Tour Guides, eventually. Some of them came and just attacked me and had to be put down after an exchange of furious emotes.

My buddy then decided to go get the full Armor of the Sun set and got two torches and became a tour guide, pointing people and helpfully guiding them through Takeshi's Challenge. The most interesting group of four phantoms actually went berserk and started attacking each other. The lone survivor greeted me at the bonfire with a collapse emote and then became the second tour guide, until unfortunately the giant decided that he was very tasty.

I'd like to think it was a great social study.

Being the tour guide here was an amazing psychological experience.

Occasionally you'd have the people who'd just break down and go apeshit and start attacking any phantom they'd see. Sometimes people would just run at me and start stabbing until I ran off into the level or killed them. Other people would see the friendly chap with the dual torches pointing and beckoning and follow me for a jog. The amount of people who developed stockholm syndrome for me due to our shared harrowing experience of running The Gauntlet meant that basically none of them wanted to attack me at the end; they'd either start an honor duel with Garin(the host) or surrender entirely to the gimmick and join me as assistant tour guides.

I knew every time I'd made a true friend when they'd follow me out of the final room and past the drop down to the beginning of the maze.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 24, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

Just realized my first mistake was employing the ancestral technique of going for a dragons legs.
Hes got like 90% damage reduction there.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Do they ever describe how Aldrich "devours" people or is it some magical thing?

I just figured he like, physically ate their flesh and magically made himself look like whoever he ate.

now that he's a blob of necrotized flesh, I would guess that he just engulfs them into his body and digests them

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can tell getting rank 2 Watchdogs is gonna be awful. What's the best place to farm swordgrass from mobs?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Some dude summoned me as a sunbro in the postpontiff pvp area then he summoned a dark spirit. So I stood there and watched the darksunbro kill him for being bad and dumb. He didn't even try and banish me even though I just stood there and occaisionaly ran to the other side of the plaza. Me and the darksunbro emoted over his corpse until I returned to my world. GOTY

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

gtrmp posted:

now that he's a blob of necrotized flesh, I would guess that he just engulfs them into his body and digests them

oh, so he's tetsuo

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Sun Princess Ring's health regen is pretty great, if y'all haven't tried it. Gives you enough passive regen that you can take a weak hit on the chin without worrying about losing an estus.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After about ten (non-consecutive, thank god) hours of trying, I have beaten Dancer right after Vordt. My rear end does not look nearly as good as hers did in her pants. It was all for naught.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Kind of didn't want to beat Dancer on my first try since I wouldn't get to see her booty again

DAncer got cake

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Finding that all the mage-bros I've been summoning have been incredibly powerful and awesome on my NG+ playthrough

cheetah7071 posted:

After about ten (non-consecutive, thank god) hours of trying, I have beaten Dancer right after Vordt. My rear end does not look nearly as good as hers did in her pants. It was all for naught.

Seriously though, easily one of my top 10 videogame butts :allears:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I look forward to rushing down the next boss so I can trade in her soul and discover with the rest of you just how lovely her swords are

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I saw somebody running around with a flamey sword and an icey sword and they looked like a baby pontiff, are those specific weapons or just the gems you can apply to most any weapon? Because :3: they were killing it in fashion souls

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I AM BRAWW posted:

Kind of didn't want to beat Dancer on my first try since I wouldn't get to see her booty again

DAncer got cake

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bogart posted:

The Sun Princess Ring's health regen is pretty great, if y'all haven't tried it. Gives you enough passive regen that you can take a weak hit on the chin without worrying about losing an estus.

Stacking Sun Princess with a blessed shield(and possibly a throwaway blessed weapon in an extra slot if you want to go all-in) gives you insane regeneration that outpaces poison's DoT.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Turns out there's not much you can do to a person turtling up hard with a Havel's shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09xmhsvIuU

The only way to beat this that I can think of is attacks that go through shields, but those aren't exactly common.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I saw somebody running around with a flamey sword and an icey sword and they looked like a baby pontiff, are those specific weapons or just the gems you can apply to most any weapon? Because :3: they were killing it in fashion souls

Sounds like Pontiff's sword, yeah.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 24, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^I just got one of the Pontiff soul weapons and its a fuckoff huge great sword, definitely something different, the other one says Ultra Greatsword so there's no way it's smaller

This is the wrong end show us the other end

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It might be Dancers' sword instead then.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

This is the wrong end show us the other end

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Finally, a real reason to give this thread the 5 it deserves

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Getting Storm King to phase 2 several times despite his best efforts to obscure my vision through his incredibly large model and clipping attacks through the dragons head with no effect, im in no mood to dodge frame-perfect for 10 minutes straight.
Since he and Ludex 2.0 are the only things i havent killed yet, im pretty much done with the game now.
Wish i had started with UGS or at least broadsword, but going with a dex build and spear kinda sucked all remaining will to do a second playthrough right out of me.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The flyingg things near Dragonslayer Armour look a lot like the top part of the Bed of Chaos huh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nameless King being a stumbling block I'm not really surprised by, but I'm astonished people are saying Champion Gundyr is a wall. I killed him in like 4-5 tries

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You should PvP

http://plays.tv/video/571c93899b9569ab2b/help-me-

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't like the mask part of this helm at all, it looks super stupid... which is such a shame because I tried it for the first time now and you get this huge flowing veil which is just barely visible and it looks spoopy as heck.

Want that veil for fashion souls, don't want to cage up my pretty face :( 0/10

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Nameless King being a stumbling block I'm not really surprised by, but I'm astonished people are saying Champion Gundyr is a wall. I killed him in like 4-5 tries

What weapon / skillset did you use?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What weapon / skillset did you use?

+10 heavy spiked mace. I'm sure that the weapon wasn't the important part, the spiked mace is pretty mediocre. More importantly, I think I had 40 vigor by that point and a giant stack of estus. He can't do poo poo if you're right behind him iirc so just roll forwards against literally every attack and then punish with either damage or estus depending on what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly rolling forwards beats like half the bosses