Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just invaded someone who was backwards clearing the Cathedral with Sirris, Anris AND Horace. I'm still hurting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Who is the dead guy outside of the Grand Archives?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

cheetah7071 posted:

+10 heavy spiked mace. I'm sure that the weapon wasn't the important part, the spiked mace is pretty mediocre. More importantly, I think I had 40 vigor by that point and a giant stack of estus. He can't do poo poo if you're right behind him iirc so just roll forwards against literally every attack and then punish with either damage or estus depending on what you need.

Many, many Souls players are conditioned to strafe/roll to their right while locked on, because that's moving away from their weapon hand and traditionally Souls enemies are loving awful at dealing with the player doing that. Champion Gundyr has multiple attacks deliberately designed to punish this behavior; his kicks and shoulder rams both hit super hard and are lightning fast, and he's incredibly aggressive and good at punishing attempted estus use so he puts people into panic spirals really easily. The vast, vast majority of players aren't going to have anywhere near 40 vigor so eating two or three hits from Gundyr starts putting you in serious danger mode.

Incidentally, the "strafe/roll right while locked on" habit is why Lothric knights kill people so much, because they deliberately gave them counter moves to the old "walk around the silver knight and backstab them" strat.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

snoremac posted:

Who is the dead guy outside of the Grand Archives?

The Black Hand Member Who Died

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

I AM BRAWW posted:

The Black Hand Member Who Died

Oh right. I forgot about the key on him.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

snoremac posted:

Oh right. I forgot about the key on him.

The dual sword you pick up with the key say his name that I forget but basically they are lore characters and there are three of them or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I AM BRAWW posted:

The dual sword you pick up with the key say his name that I forget but basically they are lore characters and there are three of them or something.

Dead guy is Gotthard, you can summon him for a few boss fights even so for whatever reason he decided to peace out and betray the royal family. You fight another one of the black hand in the archives as part of that three man gank squad in the courtyard. Third one is still missing.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

What's a useful way to integrate miracles into my playstyle when I've been playing like a really ordinary dex build all game? Lightning spear seems less useful than a longbow and most other stuff seems really underwhelming or situational (or heals). I basically decided on a whim to become a dex/faith hybrid once I got the archdeacon set, but all I'm really doing to take advantage of my 30 faith is sometimes using a lightning-infused astora greatsword.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

+10 heavy spiked mace. I'm sure that the weapon wasn't the important part, the spiked mace is pretty mediocre. More importantly, I think I had 40 vigor by that point and a giant stack of estus. He can't do poo poo if you're right behind him iirc so just roll forwards against literally every attack and then punish with either damage or estus depending on what you need.

Never underestimate the impact a moveset has on gameplay.
My sharp spear+9 had higher tooltip dps than all my inferior weapons, yet due to the retardedly long attack windup, incredibly narrow hitbox and what i can only attribute to thrust-resist of most bosses in the game, it was painful to use.
Not to mention i hardly ever staggered someone.

When i switched to a scimitar and sharp/+9d it, it was a breeze in comparison.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

What's a useful way to integrate miracles into my playstyle when I've been playing like a really ordinary dex build all game? Lightning spear seems less useful than a longbow and most other stuff seems really underwhelming or situational (or heals). I basically decided on a whim to become a dex/faith hybrid once I got the archdeacon set, but all I'm really doing to take advantage of my 30 faith is sometimes using a lightning-infused astora greatsword.

Use Homeward when farming :effort:

That's what I used my hard earned FTH points on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've always loved the Longsword move set so I'm glad straight swords are so good in this game.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Hey, Sacred Oath is pretty good ignoring that you can do it with the sunlight straight sword.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

RatHat posted:

Turns out there's not much you can do to a person turtling up hard with a Havel's shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n09xmhsvIuU

The only way to beat this that I can think of is attacks that go through shields, but those aren't exactly common.

My Raw Astora Sword's L2 + R1 is an uppercut that immediately staggers shield users and lets you get a critical hit for just a little bit of mana. So that's rare? Neat.

I'm still using it at l69 and beating the vast majority of people I face in pvp, its supposed ineffectiveness be damned. I'll never go passed 10str/10dex! Never!!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

cheetah7071 posted:

Nameless King being a stumbling block I'm not really surprised by, but I'm astonished people are saying Champion Gundyr is a wall. I killed him in like 4-5 tries

Only issue I really had with Champion was his second phase where he didn't really allow any time between combos. Once I had his timing down though it was pretty straightforward, just a matter or getting myself into position to hit him when he trapped in a combo pointed in the wrong direction.

I had trouble with Aldrich and then really hit the wall with Dancer, once I was past her even on the bosses I needed multiple attempts at I didn't feel frustrated - it was fairly obvious what I was doing wrong/what I needed to do to beat them. With Dancer, I think it was the odd combination of her relatively slow movement being followed by super-fast and huge attacks that really screwed me over - I really struggled to get a sense of the timing I needed to avoid her attacks. Kinda odd that she was so much more difficult than the final Lothric Castle Boss, who moves so much faster but feels easier to read/avoid than she did. To me at least.

I made it to the Flame of the First Kiln but left to explore the AD Peak, I understand the final Boss there is supposed to be super-hard, so it'll be interesting to see how I do. After that, I think I've done all the areas, so it'll be time for the Final Boss and an end to this run, though I wouldn't mind either NG+ or starting a new character to see if I can properly do the NPC stories (I never meet a third of them I don't think, and others either died or I never followed up enough on their personal quests for them to ever say anything new).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I got my Sharp Black Blade to +10 tonight.

And noticed that, with my 18/40 Str/Dex investment, Sharp was a whopping 5 damage over the normal weapon. And that the normal weapon with the str/dex bonus was equal to the Fire/Dark thing. So what the gently caress? Are AR stats just not worth loving anything in this game?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

kater posted:

I got my Sharp Black Blade to +10 tonight.

And noticed that, with my 18/40 Str/Dex investment, Sharp was a whopping 5 damage over the normal weapon. And that the normal weapon with the str/dex bonus was equal to the Fire/Dark thing. So what the gently caress? Are AR stats just not worth loving anything in this game?

From the weapons I've looked at, sharp is only really good if it already has decent dex scaling to begin with. A black blade starts out with D scaling, which probably means that refined or something will end up being better. To contrast, a sharp uchigatana with your stats will do a whole lot more damage than a non-infused one. And then a +5 chaos blade is way better than the uchi anyway :v:
e: though the uchi has the advantage of being buffable, which in some cases probably matters a lot.
second edit: the wiki says that the uchi has the exact same scaling as the black blade and the washing pole, so maybe I'm wrong? Either way the chaos blade is far superior when you have 40 dex and relatively low str.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 24, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm pretty much going all heavy at the moment, and I finally found a second heavy gem. My first one went on my broadsword. Currently debating whether to use the second on my dark sword or the Zweihander.

Or is there another weapon that would massively benefit from it?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Sharp isn't as powerful as Heavy is. Sharp doesn't remove STR scaling like Heavy does with Dex, it just splits it more towards Dex.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Got a question about the CotD area. I met Patches, tried walking across his bridge but I'd already killed the giants so that wasn't a big deal. Now he's on the other side of the gap and I can't find a way to cross it myself. Someone left a message on the opening to the right of where the bridge used to be that says "hidden path ahead', but there's no invisible walkway, just a drop (thank you silvercat ring) and I can't find any false walls on the other side of the building that might lead to Patches. Whereabouts should I be looking to get over there? This is driving me nuts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

a cop posted:

My Raw Astora Sword's L2 + R1 is an uppercut that immediately staggers shield users and lets you get a critical hit for just a little bit of mana. So that's rare? Neat.

I'm still using it at l69 and beating the vast majority of people I face in pvp, its supposed ineffectiveness be damned. I'll never go passed 10str/10dex! Never!!!!!

Guard break attacks like the straight sword art R1 and the kick don't automatically break guards, they just do abnormally large amounts of stamina damage based on the stability of the shield. There's a fight in that video where a dude does like 6 guard break kicks in a row into the shield and barely budges tankdude's stam bar, nevermind guard breaks him, so a straight sword R1 would likely do the same.

When he says shield piercing attacks, he means stuff like Shotel R2s that explicitly completely ignore shield damage reduction, but even those are likely going to be somewhat ineffective since shotel damage kind of blows and greatshield dude is a titanic fatass of a character with a million vigor and vitality so he's just going to crush you to death before you can laboriously shotel poke him.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vanrushal posted:

Got a question about the CotD area. I met Patches, tried walking across his bridge but I'd already killed the giants so that wasn't a big deal. Now he's on the other side of the gap and I can't find a way to cross it myself. Someone left a message on the opening to the right of where the bridge used to be that says "hidden path ahead', but there's no invisible walkway, just a drop (thank you silvercat ring) and I can't find any false walls on the other side of the building that might lead to Patches. Whereabouts should I be looking to get over there? This is driving me nuts.

if you're facing the bonfire, take the shortcut door to the left and then go up the lift. there's a ladder round the side of the tower - find your way from there.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Vanrushal posted:

There's a couple beams right near the ceiling that you can use to get to the other side, I'm pretty sure. It's above the fat witch lady that you fought outside, you have to jump to a -gently caress it, here's a youtube to explain it since i can't. Hopefully it's what you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTcP3X0AIG0

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kanos posted:

Guard break attacks like the straight sword art R1 and the kick don't automatically break guards, they just do abnormally large amounts of stamina damage based on the stability of the shield. There's a fight in that video where a dude does like 6 guard break kicks in a row into the shield and barely budges tankdude's stam bar, nevermind guard breaks him, so a straight sword R1 would likely do the same.

When he says shield piercing attacks, he means stuff like Shotel R2s that explicitly completely ignore shield damage reduction, but even those are likely going to be somewhat ineffective since shotel damage kind of blows and greatshield dude is a titanic fatass of a character with a million vigor and vitality so he's just going to crush you to death before you can laboriously shotel poke him.
Doesn't the estoc have a move that ignores shield like that

dark souls 3 pvp endgame right now is just havels greatshield vs. estoc

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Bardeh posted:

if you're facing the bonfire, take the shortcut door to the left and then go up the lift. there's a ladder round the side of the tower - find your way from there.

Oh goddammit, I knew that room had to have a point but I didn't think to go outside. Thank you and Gringo Heisenberg!

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
So I finally finished this game. Has a shot at being the best in the series, with pontiff sulyvahn and the nameless King being the hardest bosses.

There a good lore dump anywhere? Or somewhere that I can read up on the NPC quests? Siegward's introduction was loving awesome so I was gutted to never run into him again. Likewise running into Anri's corpse was a huge wtf moment.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

From the weapons I've looked at, sharp is only really good if it already has decent dex scaling to begin with. A black blade starts out with D scaling, which probably means that refined or something will end up being better. To contrast, a sharp uchigatana with your stats will do a whole lot more damage than a non-infused one.

This is what is so confusing to me. I started using Black Blade because at 4/5/6 it is straight better than Uchi. Are you saying that Uchi turns around eventually and has better scaling in the end? Also I ended up taking my Chaos Blade to +4 and didn't Slab it because that damage self thing seemed scary. Also it was considerably worse than a 10 Black Blade at 4, and that's without a flimsy Magic Weapon buff that I'm running.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Do people really think this has the hardest bosses? I'm at the last boss and so far there's been like 2 really hard fights and both of those are optional.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Yeah.. Hardest bosses lol.. Ancient Dragon huh?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

Do people really think this has the hardest bosses? I'm at the last boss and so far there's been like 2 really hard fights and both of those are optional.

How many really hard non-DLC fights are there in DS1 or 2?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm just now exploring the whole dungeon area in Smoldering Lake and boy, am I glad I somehow completely skipped this entire area :stare:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah.. Hardest bosses lol.. Ancient Dragon huh?

I will never, ever beat Ancient Dragon on principal alone and it's the only Souls boss I can say that about. I seriously think it's the worst fight in the entire series. While Bed of Chaos and some gimmick bosses are bad I can understand they wanted to do a gimmick. gently caress Ancient Dragon so goddamn hard forever, I have no idea what they were thinking with it.

Andrast posted:

How many really hard non-DLC fights are there in DS1 or 2?

Off the top of my head plenty but obvious stuff is O&S, Four Kings, Darklurker and Lost Sinner. I'm sure there's more. If you look at Demons Souls then there's Allant and Flame Lurker, plus Old King Doran being one of the hardest fights in the entire series if you don't cheese him.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 24, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tracula posted:

I will never, ever beat Ancient Dragon on principal alone and it's the only Souls boss I can say that about. I seriously think it's the worst fight in the entire series. While Bed of Chaos and some gimmick bosses are bad I can understand they wanted to do a gimmick. gently caress Ancient Dragon so goddamn hard forever, I have no idea what they were thinking with it.

But if you don't beat him you're missing out on the best boss in the game

E: oh dragon, not wyvern

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

But if you don't beat him you're missing out on the best boss in the game

He means the ancient dragon in DS2, not the ancient wyvern in this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Would Carthus Beacon + Pontiff's Right Eye be as good with dual-wield weapons as it seems like? If they give you extra damage per hit that you do, and the L1s seem to to multiple hits, it seems like you could stack up bonus damage pretty quickly.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
so I am stuck at cursed greatwood because none of my jolly cooperators are able to go through the fog gate. This has been happening for days now. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Byolante posted:

so I am stuck at cursed greatwood because none of my jolly cooperators are able to go through the fog gate. This has been happening for days now. Is there any way to stop this happening?

It's an optional boss.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My bad, I forgot that fight existed

I did like 3 runs of DS2 the week it came out then never touched it again

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bogart posted:

The Sun Princess Ring's health regen is pretty great, if y'all haven't tried it. Gives you enough passive regen that you can take a weak hit on the chin without worrying about losing an estus.

There's a cool bug right now where if you take it on and off repeatedly you get instant regen ticks.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Andrast posted:

It's an optional boss.

it's also how you get the transposing kiln tho, is it not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You gonna transpose that Vordt soul right away for a lovely hammer you won't have the strength to wield for another 4 hours?