Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Wasn't the working assumption that Ray dumped the bodies of his victims in Elephant Butte Lake? Given how far levels of the lake have dropped in recent years, have there been any renewed attempts to locate/recover remains there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I grew up in England, so the idea that you can stand on a normal residential street and on the other side is an endless silent moonscape really puts the zap on my head. Walk far enough into the desert and anything you leave there might as well be on Mars.

I grew up in the desert so this isn't even weird to me. Stretches of hot nothing are comforting; big cities make me feel dirty and crowded. The pic below was very close to my old house. I live in this massive city in the Northwest right now but god I miss the desert.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Apr 24, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Centripetal Horse posted:

As someone already pointed out, you ought to be. Even without psycho killers qu'est-ce que c'esting their way around the dunes, the desert is loving deadly.

Pretty, too, though.

Infinity by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Dimming by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Man I can't wait to go back there.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Beautiful, guys.

I have some bad news, the last two parts will most certainly be slightly delayed at this point. I just had a 30 minute wrestling match with a mastiff that is at least 4/7 my body weight on my job and I did not escape injury. I'll type what I can.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Wasn't the working assumption that Ray dumped the bodies of his victims in Elephant Butte Lake? Given how far levels of the lake have dropped in recent years, have there been any renewed attempts to locate/recover remains there?
Yes, I think so, and I don't actually know the answer to that. One would assume.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Scathach posted:

I grew up in the desert so this isn't even weird to me. Stretches of hot nothing are comforting; big cities make me feel dirty and crowded. The pic below was very close to my old house. I live in this massive city in the Northwest right now but god I miss the desert.

It's really unfortunate all the hosed up stuff that's happening to the deserts in the US and how most of it is happening because people just don't care. Lot's of greedy ranchers and developers are basically putting fences and gates around public land and saying it belongs to them because no one is out there enforcing it. The whole Bundy cattle thing and Malheur occupation was really the least of it, there's hundreds of thousands of acres out in Oregon and Nevada that's basically been stolen by ranching conglomerates from the American people and that's kinda hosed up.

Here's a picture my friend took from Eastern Oregon, pretty much the only man made thing you can see is our car way in the distance.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Pike_County_shootings

8 family members shot dead. Some of them in their beds. One of them sleeping next to her 4 day old baby :smith:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Scathach posted:

I live in the western Mojave. It's fairly civilized here. By that I mean we have a mall, stores, things of that nature.

But get far enough outside of town, and, well, there's not much going on. The silence is what really becomes oppressive, even more so than the heat. You find yourself listening, straining for something, anything, to break that monotonous, awful silence.

Here in California people treat the desert like it's their own garbage bin. They neither know or care about the unique ecological niche they're defiling. People dump everything out here, from furniture to animals. Once a year there's a big 'clean up the desert day' where all sorts of local groups get together to pick up as much trash as possible. They haul out literal tons of garbage. It's disgusting and sad.

I've never found any bones, but we did find what we believe is a grave marker. At the ruined foundation of what was probably a miner's house we found a slab set into the ground with numbers scrawled in the concrete. Of course we left it alone.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Droogie posted:

Beautiful, guys.

I have some bad news, the last two parts will most certainly be slightly delayed at this point. I just had a 30 minute wrestling match with a mastiff that is at least 4/7 my body weight on my job and I did not escape injury. I'll type what I can.

Yes, I think so, and I don't actually know the answer to that. One would assume.

Get well soon dude! Thanks for revitalising this awesome, creepy thread.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Rondette posted:

Get well soon dude! Thanks for revitalising this awesome, creepy thread.

Hey, thanks!

So between my wrestling match which has left me feeling like I was hit by a car and the pre-funeral stress, I took the night off from dealing with mass murder.

I have everything I need for the next part, so as I have the time I'll type and my intent is to have the next part up late tonight or early tomorrow. Don't want to leave you all hanging. I've enjoyed this thread so much I just wanted to give back to it.

Literally the reason there's not a post this morning.

Droogie has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Apr 24, 2016

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
PYF cute reasons for not posting spooky desert murder stories. :3: That aside, I hope you feel better soon and can de-stress. Don't put yourself out for the thread, but I am really looking forward to your next update.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Sarcopenia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Pike_County_shootings

8 family members shot dead. Some of them in their beds. One of them sleeping next to her 4 day old baby :smith:

They just released the 911 call for this: https://www.facebook.com/wsaz3/videos/10153701545809702/ Those poor kids, drat.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Droogie posted:

Hey, thanks!

So between my wrestling match which has left me feeling like I was hit by a car and the pre-funeral stress, I took the night off from dealing with mass murder.

I have everything I need for the next part, so as I have the time I'll type and my intent is to have the next part up late tonight or early tomorrow. Don't want to leave you all hanging. I've enjoyed this thread so much I just wanted to give back to it.

Literally the reason there's not a post this morning.

Sometimes you just have to let the mastiff have the bereavement casserole.

Take care of your fingats.

Another tale of the desert's brutality centers around Yuma, AZ. A natural trail through the desert between Sonora, Mexico and the States has been used intermittently since before the conquistadors but left almost totally undeveloped. It's called "The Devil's Highway". I'm always reminded of Luis Urrea's book of the same name when desert survival comes up.

This stretch of country's isolation made it a popular coyote route. The book investigates the deaths of a large group of immigrants, some of whom brought 1 liter bottles of Pepsi into an environment that requires a person to drink two gallons of water daily to survive it.

Temperatures hit near 120 and their disoriented guide led them in circles. The tragedy fueled national conversations about immigration reform, but this incident took place spring 2001.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

When people say a desert is hot and dry, you nod your head and say "well, duh yeah." The thing is until you really experience it..you don't really understand it. I grew up in Kentucky, but we'd do road trips (back when you could do that) through Mexico and that was hot, but it was humid. When I went to Las Vegas in June it was unbelievable, not even on the same 'hot-dry' scale as Mexico. We had this bright Idea to go out to Red Rock Canyon and maybe do the fat tourist trail. It's basically Spitting Distance from the Strip and we figured it would make an excellent day trip. So we packed up our rented burgundy Cadillac and set off. We pulled in to the Visitor Center and got out of the car. Just walking the few meters to the front door I could feel all the water in my body being pulled out by the dry hot air. It was the most singularly unpleasant heat-related sensation I've ever had. My husband and I looked at each other and we both said "We are going to die." So we spent a nice 10 minutes looking around inside the visitor center, noticed there were some crazy rear end people who managed to climb up the rocks and were *sunbathing*. We had a huge drink of water out of the water fountain...and then turned around and got back into our car and drove back to the strip.

The desert will mummify you while still alive.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A friend of mine teaches in Singapore, and a few years back he was on a school trip to South Africa, and he mentioned that some of the kids freaked out because there was just too much open space. They'd pretty much never been out of sight of skyscrapers, and suddenly here was the entire night sky on view.

I don't think I understood this until I read these last few pages. The desert is big.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Here's a picture my friend took from Eastern Oregon, pretty much the only man made thing you can see is our car way in the distance.

So did the fluffy thing just grow naturally or

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
That Death Valley Germans thing was a really good read.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yep, after following previous incarnations of this thread and this one the Death Valley Germans is still in my top 3 of stories that has been posted.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It really is. I think I revisit it about once a year. It's just so well written, and the sense of panic and hopelessness is just crushing. I think we all believe ourselves to be wiser than that, but it really does that it just takes a few simple mistakes to gently caress yourself over if you're out of your element.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Droogie posted:

It really is. I think I revisit it about once a year. It's just so well written, and the sense of panic and hopelessness is just crushing. I think we all believe ourselves to be wiser than that, but it really does that it just takes a few simple mistakes to gently caress yourself over if you're out of your element.

I hike a lot in the UK and even over here I've had a few moments of "if this weather turns or something goes wrong right now it could go very badly for me" while I'm out on the hills. I can't imagine what it would feel like in an area where there might not be another person around for few hundred miles. See also; that story earlier in the thread with the two girls who got lost off the jungle tourist trail.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I lived in Tempe, Arizona for about 3 years and camping in the desert is some of the most beautiful and fun camping/hiking I've ever done. But when I first moved out there I decided to go for a quick 2 mile run at like 10am in July. It was about 110 degrees. I thought I was going to die by the time I made it to the gas station at the half way mark. It was so hot and dry that I wasn't even sweating. Between that and finding out that they hire people to open restaurant doors from the inside so you don't burn your hands on the outside it really opened my eyes to how different the environment was.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Freudian posted:

So did the fluffy thing just grow naturally or

you've never seen pictures of wandering domo-kuns?

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I grew up in Kentucky

Have you ever been to the super southern,almost in TN parts of Kentucky during the summer? It's not unusual for it to be in the 90's and the humidity at almost 100% in the summer here in London. I'd take dry heat over smothering in the humidity. :unsmigghh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
When I was driving around dirt roads outside Tonopah, I discovered that the combination of 0% humidity and small shrubs brushing against the underside turned my car into an object with a tremendous electrical charge. Every time I got out and my foot touched the ground and my arm touched any metal part, I'd hear a tremendous SNAP and my arm would receive, often through my shirt, a shock that hurt like hell, made it twitch, and left it numb for several minutes.

That trip left me instinctively holding my keys to touch metal objects like drink cooler handles in stores for a year. The desert truly is scary.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Alaois posted:

you've never seen pictures of wandering domo-kuns?

Pretty sure that's a Bigfoot, you're just not getting a good sense of scale from the picture.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

Have you ever been to the super southern,almost in TN parts of Kentucky during the summer? It's not unusual for it to be in the 90's and the humidity at almost 100% in the summer here in London. I'd take dry heat over smothering in the humidity. :unsmigghh:

See, now I understand what those ex-NM goons earlier in the thread were talking about - being nostalgic for a horrible place. I lived twelve years in SE Kentucky, not far south of London, and I still have a perverse fondness for the place.

But talk about places where you can vanish without a trace...there are hollers back in the Daniel Boone National Forest where you can go fifty feet off the road and never be seen again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Droogie posted:

Mahood’s hunt for Bill Ewasko is the saddest thing.

LSD CURES JUNKIES
Sep 12, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

See, now I understand what those ex-NM goons earlier in the thread were talking about - being nostalgic for a horrible place. I lived twelve years in SE Kentucky, not far south of London, and I still have a perverse fondness for the place.

But talk about places where you can vanish without a trace...there are hollers back in the Daniel Boone National Forest where you can go fifty feet off the road and never be seen again.

I grew up in Hazard,London is a hell of an improvement even with the various junkies. It's pretty at least,everything else not so much.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

edit: nm.

Dang It Bhabhi! has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Apr 25, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So, uh, fair warning for anybody who wants to have a stroll through wikipedia's articles on unidentified dead people, one of their articles just straight-up opens on a big ole pic of a corpse. Which is loving pleasant. I mean, it isn't gory, but knowing it's the actual face of an actually dead guy just makes it so much creepier than even those creepy reconstruction faces.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
well, dont tell us which one, i want to play russian roulette with wiki links until i find it

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
On the topic of people disappearing in the woods, there was a case in California a few years back where (IIRC) a marijuana grower/survivalist in the emerald triangle region murdered his family and disappeared, it took them over a year of searching before they finally found that he'd shot himself a quarter mile away from where they found his truck, but the forest was so dense the initial searches missed his body and they didn't go back to the area until later because they figured he'd eluded the initial searchers and was lying low in a bunker or had fled the area.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Not the desert, and not really unnerving, but I used to fly from New England to Florida as a kid during the summers. You'd leave New England, it'd be nice and pleasant in the 70's, nice climate controlled plane ride, and then the second you step on to the tarmac it's like a loving blast furnace. Got a 1st degree burn from leaning on a car, once.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fun hater posted:

well, dont tell us which one, i want to play russian roulette with wiki links until i find it

Sorry, I forgot when I made the post. Pretty sure it's Peter Bergmann, but I'm currently not brave enough to click the link to confirm it.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Kentucky chat!

Several of these involve my Alma Mater and one happened in my home county (Daviess)! http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kentucky/8-unsolved-mysteries-in-ky/

A little more detail on the Alien one: http://ufogrid.com/beings/articles/after-ufo-sighting-kentucky-family-11-spends-terror-filled-night-battling-curious-creatures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly%E2%80%93Hopkinsville_encounter

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Apr 25, 2016

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

RNG posted:

Not the desert, and not really unnerving, but I used to fly from New England to Florida as a kid during the summers. You'd leave New England, it'd be nice and pleasant in the 70's, nice climate controlled plane ride, and then the second you step on to the tarmac it's like a loving blast furnace. Got a 1st degree burn from leaning on a car, once.

I am a South Florida native who has also spent about ten years in Las Vegas. Humidity sucks, but don't listen to the people who say, "At least it's a dry heat." All the humidity in the world doesn't make up for the gap between 94 degrees and 114 degrees. The "is uncomfortable and will kill you" curve becomes very steep somewhere a little north of 100.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

On the topic of people disappearing in the woods, there was a case in California a few years back where (IIRC) a marijuana grower/survivalist in the emerald triangle region murdered his family and disappeared, it took them over a year of searching before they finally found that he'd shot himself a quarter mile away from where they found his truck, but the forest was so dense the initial searches missed his body and they didn't go back to the area until later because they figured he'd eluded the initial searchers and was lying low in a bunker or had fled the area.

I remember reading about the New Hampshire Learjet crash when I was 10 or 11 and it creeping me out. Not so much the crash itself but the fact that the wreck went unfound for three years. Despite the crash happening with radar contact. When the crash site was found (accidentally by a survey team) it was in the area that had already been searched but the forest was so dense that a 6-ton plane with a 40ft wingspan had just disappeared into it despite everyone knowing roughly where it was.

I guess it was just a wake-up call to a kid who'd grown up used to the nice, compact, populated English semi-rural south which is all farms, villages, phone boxes and managed woodland. With people living in it. The sort of place where a Learjet could barely come down without hitting someone's house, let alone going completely undetected. The fact that the world contained places that could swallow a bizjet without trace and where breaking down in your car or spraining your ankle when hiking didn't mean an inconvenient call for the breakdown service or waiting half an hour until somone walking a dog passed by was...eye-opening at the time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I am a South Florida native who has also spent about ten years in Las Vegas. Humidity sucks, but don't listen to the people who say, "At least it's a dry heat." All the humidity in the world doesn't make up for the gap between 94 degrees and 114 degrees. The "is uncomfortable and will kill you" curve becomes very steep somewhere a little north of 100.

You could be in equatorial coastal Djibouti! Vegas heat, Florida ballsweat.

code:
Month 	 	 	 	Jan 	Feb 	Mar 	Apr 	May 	Jun 	Jul 	Aug 	Sep 	Oct 	Nov 	Dec 	Year
Record high (°F)		89.8	90.7	97	97.5	112.1	114.6	114.6	114.4	110.5	100.9	94.6	90.7	114.6
Average high (°F)		83.7	84.2	86.4	89.6	94.8	102.2	107.1	106.2	99	91.6	87.4	84.7	93
Average relative humidity (%) 	74.6 	74.7 	75.1 	76.9 	72.6 	62.6 	45.8 	48.7 	64.5 	68.3 	74.2 	71.3 	67.44

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

I feel less gross in Phoenix in 114 than I do in Orlando at 90, though. It's more dangerous, but the fact that your body can actually sweat and that moisture has somewhere to go at least FEELS nicer, even if you need to chug water constantly.

edit: And if you're from the Miami area, the air at least moves a bit from the ocean, doesn't it?

What I'm trying to say is this: Orlando weather can eat a dick

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Wasabi the J posted:

You could be in equatorial coastal Djibouti! Vegas heat, Florida ballsweat.

code:
Month 	 	 	 	Jan 	Feb 	Mar 	Apr 	May 	Jun 	Jul 	Aug 	Sep 	Oct 	Nov 	Dec 	Year
Record high (°F)		89.8	90.7	97	97.5	112.1	114.6	114.6	114.4	110.5	100.9	94.6	90.7	114.6
Average high (°F)		83.7	84.2	86.4	89.6	94.8	102.2	107.1	106.2	99	91.6	87.4	84.7	93
Average relative humidity (%) 	74.6 	74.7 	75.1 	76.9 	72.6 	62.6 	45.8 	48.7 	64.5 	68.3 	74.2 	71.3 	67.44

That seems very, very unpleasant to me. My ideal environment would be a place that's, like, 50-68 degrees all year 'round. I really love Las Vegas weather during its short winter.

theflyingorc posted:

I feel less gross in Phoenix in 114 than I do in Orlando at 90, though. It's more dangerous, but the fact that your body can actually sweat and that moisture has somewhere to go at least FEELS nicer, even if you need to chug water constantly.

edit: And if you're from the Miami area, the air at least moves a bit from the ocean, doesn't it?

What I'm trying to say is this: Orlando weather can eat a dick

Yeah, you step outside, and you have to wring out your shirt. I still hate the Vegas heat more than the Florida heat, although both pretty much suck. I am, in fact, from the Miami area, but I also lived on the Gulf coast. I have felt the mugginess. I didn't think anything of it until i moved away and came back. I tried to play some basketball after a few years out of the Florida heat, and I thought I was going to die.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
These New Mexico posts make me want to post about my neck of the woods. There was a post several months ago about the Muddy Putty death, and that wasn't too far from here. The murders accounted in Under the Banner of Heaven happened right down the road. I'll need to search the thread to see what's been gone over already. I need to learn more local history, anyway. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Speaking of eastern Kentucky, hoo boy mining accidents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_disasters_by_death_toll

I'm researching my family history and discovering that all my kinfolk who didn't farm rented land in southwest Virginia cut across the mountains to dig for coal in Letcher and what eventually became Perry and Pike counties. Fun fact: late 19th/early 20th century mining accidents lowballed death tolls because they weren't sure how many day laborers--illegal immigrants--were down in the mine when disaster struck.

Droogie, it's been a captivating read. Thanks for the write-up.