Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Well, everyone will be playing green black control where I play now. Both variants are pretty annoying. Feel like black white is bad against them and it's going to be that plus esper dragons everywhere and grundy games forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, WB is good at controlling the game and then winning when your opponent is frustrated and has run out of spells. The BG decks don't run out of spells.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
lsv getting torn apart by last year's standard deck

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lancelot posted:

lsv getting torn apart by last year's standard deck

I feel like the 12:4 land/spell ratio didn't really help.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brought the GB Rites deck to a GPT today. Go 1-3 and a bye with losses against Jund, Temur Ramp (getting them down to 1 in both games before they gain 10 life with a Offshoot+Nissa's Renewal, multiple times) and WW. When the deck craps out, it craps out hard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No more modern PTs (again)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lets Pickle posted:

Even if it is, what cards are even playable that exile instant/sorceries? I guess if the deck gets to be too much people will start playing Invasive Surgery/Pick the Brain against it. That seems like pretty sick tech if you can get Delirium.

EDIT: It looks like the Bant Company deck plays 2 Invasive Surgery in the board.

I mean exile the creatures, leaving no way for it to actually win.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Here's the whole Premier Play announcement: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptsoi/2016-and-2017-premier-play-updates-announced-at-ptsoi-2016-04-24

Modern gone as a PT format, as mentioned. Still around in PTQs though.

Pretty big Hall of Famer and Platinum pro appearance fee related changes.

Worlds prize pool goes way up, $500k in 2017 with $100k for the winner.

Starting PT Honolulu PTQs, paper RPTQs award four slots regardless of size. One extra European RPTQ (Italy).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its like they realized "oh poo poo, our HOF is too big now, cut everyone's pay!"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GoutPatrol posted:

Its like they realized "oh poo poo, our HOF is too big now, cut everyone's pay!"

lol yup. Waiting for the day they realize they can't give them all PT invites but still want some of them to come.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What does the value loop for Finkel's deck look like, and how much mana is needed to do it in one turn?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Woah Finkel lost to Bant Company? LSV also lose?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dark Petition for Seasons Past -> Seasons Past to get back a tonne of stuff including Dark Petition. Since Seasons Past goes back to your library you can do it again any number of times. The loop costs 8 mana but it gets you a lot of stuff.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Alaan posted:

Woah Finkel lost to Bant Company? LSV also lose?

Yeah, they were bad matchups for both of them. Finkel's deck was a next-level meta deck; it beats the anti-CoCo decks rather than the CoCo decks. I guess this is why the rest of the team did so poorly; Finkel 6-0ed in draft so was able to avoid most of the CoCo decks, whereas the others came up against more CoCo in the lower brackets.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

How thick is the playmat? Debating pulling the trigger on the Hanna, Ship's Navigator.

It's normal playmat thickness.

Now I'm going to have to get a playmat protector, though.

Do they even make those?

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 24, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

kizudarake posted:

It's normal playmat thickness.

Now I'm going to have to get a playmat protector, though.

Do they even make those?

A playmat sleeve if you will...

You can buy a tube case for them but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So they've stopped teasing upcoming sets during the PT?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

So they've stopped teasing upcoming sets during the PT?

They normally do that on the last day of the PT, don't they?

So probably later today.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

They normally do that on the last day of the PT, don't they?

So probably later today.

They didn't last pt, as far as i remember

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Announcements for sets vary pretty wildly. There was almost a two month difference between khans and battle announcement.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The Platinum changes seem really bad for younger pros that don't have a regular job and a few of them are already talking about quitting

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The Platinum changes seem really bad for younger pros that don't have a regular job and a few of them are already talking about quitting

I mean the entire platinum gravy train was something obviously not sustainable, and probably shouldn't have ever existed

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think this is well considered. Preparing for and going to a PT is a very time-consuming process. And you can't just guarantee you'll get an outstanding result. The appearance fee is supposed to soften the blow to pros, and now it's basically dead. People can't just sacrifice two weeks of work, or school, or whatever, for no recompense.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ah good, Bant Company in the finals.

Good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Ah good, Bant Company in the finals.

Good.

eh, the sheer variety of decks in the top 8 makes me be less hateful towards Bant CoCo making finals

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
{Insert picture of Blizzard jizzing their pants over this OP update.}

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lol i think andrea mengucchi just killed himself on accident

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol i think andrea mengucchi just killed himself on accident

Perfect way to end the Pro Tour. Mengucci dies to incorrect blocking.

Edit: There was actually no way for Mengucci to live if Steve was smart. Even if none of his creatures die in combat, he just activates Abbey post-combat to force the Avacyn flip for the win.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Jeez, Wizards is doing everything it can to kill organized play. I mean there's a bit of hyperbole there but cutting around 90% of the incentive to make it to the Professional level is a pretty stupid move. I wonder how much of this is coming from the new CEO and how much has been in the works for a while.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Bant Company loses. I kinda wish it has run so I could have played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5GXbk58R0

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

qbert posted:

Perfect way to end the Pro Tour. Mengucci dies to incorrect blocking.

Edit: There was actually no way for Mengucci to live if Steve was smart. Even if none of his creatures die in combat, he just activates Abbey post-combat to force the Avacyn flip for the win.

"if Steve was smart" seemed to be asking a lot judging the way he navigated those last two games

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Top 8ed states with Brad Nelson's ramp deck.

I put this together too, it's a fun rear end deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Skyl3lazer posted:

"if Steve was smart" seemed to be asking a lot judging the way he navigated those last two games

He punted one game by getting ahead of himself and going on tilt from there. He even admitted in the interview that he screwed that game up hard. I don't know what you think he did wrong in game 4.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well modern should start the steady decline of getting cheaper since it won't have a PT. WOTC seems to have pulled a :master: with the eldrazi winter to justify pulling it from the PT. Actually I don't believe WOTC is that competent, but it does seem very convenient.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm legitimately happy that there seem to be ways to beat every deck in the meta, even if no one was playing flaying tendrils this weekend and Tokens decks took advantage.

We might finally be in a world where there's more than 3 top decks at any one time!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

Well modern should start the steady decline of getting cheaper since it won't have a PT. WOTC seems to have pulled a :master: with the eldrazi winter to justify pulling it from the PT. Actually I don't believe WOTC is that competent, but it does seem very convenient.

i did not watch the coverage and will not so I am going to assume that they are pulling modern for Pauper PTs. I will not hear anything to the contrary

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I mean, it always seemed like the money involved in Magic is pretty paltry to begin with (particularly given it costs thousands to play on a professional level since you have to fly everywhere and buy meta-decks constantly).

Hell, Frank Lepore didn't even show up to the PT because he went to attend another event he was hoping would lead to him getting a full-time job that presumably pays better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Well modern should start the steady decline of getting cheaper since it won't have a PT.

God willing. Did they actually state that three bad months of Modern play were enough to take it off the PT? If so :lol:

VV Sample size of 1 and all, but the thought of watching people play Magic on camera has almost no appeal to me. Obviously there are people who do enjoy it though.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 24, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is viewership of the PTs even really that high? It seems like the vast majority of people who buy Magic cards probably don't really give a poo poo about it. And of those who do, I doubt that many of them care how much the appearance fee is. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how and if the quality of play drops (or how that can even be measured). At least the WotC write-up on the changes includes the old amounts so we don't have to go hunting them down.

Ah, cold business math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

God willing. Did they actually state that three bad months of Modern play were enough to take it off the PT? If so :lol:

Pros bitching was a part of it I assume. Standard makes wotc the most money and I assume they were looking for a reason to begin with.

Hell, the only reason they brought it back was because of its popularity. Considering they then made the format worse than it has ever been before at the height of its popularity was mind boggling.

Actually no, it's clear now. Someone has finally decided that they don't know how to shake up the format without loving it up.

• Locked thread