Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't understand why anyone would preorder a phone. They're not going to be rare, and unless it's an iphone it will probably get a price drop as soon as the early adopters all get theirs.

It comes with a cloth map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
No one should get an HTC 10, the Moto X is still the best phone of 2015-current.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No one should get an HTC 10, the Moto X is still the best phone of 2015-current.

It's huge. Also kind of funny bringing up Moto after the horror stories coming out about their support over the last year or so. That seems infinitely worse than the bad customer support tales in here.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Lol

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Buying a Lenovo phone is an even worse idea than buying that HTC.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm quite happy with my Sony Z5 compact :shobon:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

But Lenovo makes great laptops and cell phones are just like tiny laptops. :downs:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

SwissCM posted:

Jesus Christ

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So far my new Moto X was shipped from Cincinnati to Alaska, and now to China on its journey to reach me. I'm in Texas.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

Jesus Christ

Never change smythe. You are the treasure this thread needs and deserves.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Smythe posted:

Jesus Christ

What do you think we can do to make people only buy Google-branded Androids? Assuming we agree with you, not even the logistics is there.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

SwissCM posted:

I love my z5 and having played with my brother-in-law's compact I get why you'd like it.

Please note I am not in America so my experience may not be indicative of yours.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What do you think we can do to make people only buy Google-branded Androids? Assuming we agree with you, not even the logistics is there.

What do you mean by 'logistics'?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Did I miss a memo about SMS authentication ruining America?

I'm on T-Mobile so anything that requires a cellular connection is risky behavior.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I finally upgraded my wonderful relay 4g, the last drat phone with a keyboard I could really find, to a 5x. It works great for a dirty no keyboard phone. Mostly just want to also say whatever million updates that happened between launch and when I got this sure seems to have ironed out any bugs people were having at first. I haven't had a single issue yet.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I'm on T-Mobile so anything that requires a cellular connection is risky behavior.

"It doesn't work, but at least it's cheap!"

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LethalGeek posted:

I finally upgraded my wonderful relay 4g, the last drat phone with a keyboard I could really find, to a 5x. It works great for a dirty no keyboard phone.

I'm so confused. You could've bought a blackberry Priv and had a keyboard phone.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Concentration camps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

The food may be terrible but the portions are generous.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

RZA Encryption posted:

T-Mobile suited my needs, like a baws :smug:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SB35 posted:

I'm so confused. You could've bought a blackberry Priv and had a keyboard phone.

Pretty sure those are twice as much and those dinky little keyboards are Meh. Mainly the price steered me away from that one.

I've been on sidekicks since they came out so I've always used the landscape keyboard phones. Got good enough to touch type on them. It really weirds people out if you look at them and type on a cell at the same time. Imma miss that

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

dissss posted:

I mean where do you expect to get to get the production necessary to substantially replace the Android device field with mostly Nexuses? Raw materials have to be discovered and harvested, factories aren't quick to spin up, and like hell your now-jilted competitors will even sell theirs to you at above market rates.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Droid Washington posted:

So far my new Moto X was shipped from Cincinnati to Alaska, and now to China on its journey to reach me. I'm in Texas.

Screenshot of tracking please. I have to see this.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I mean obviously they just forgot to install the spyware on it before it left the factory, so it's making a quick trip back for that.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I mean where do you expect to get to get the production necessary to substantially replace the Android device field with mostly Nexuses? Raw materials have to be discovered and harvested, factories aren't quick to spin up, and like hell your now-jilted competitors will even sell theirs to you at above market rates.

Or every android phone just runs stock.

I don't understand why they don't to be honest. They're just making more work for themselves. They have to hire teams of developers to make the UI to go over stock android, then they have to keep everything up to date. I just don't get it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't understand why they don't to be honest. They're just making more work for themselves. They have to hire teams of developers to make the UI to go over stock android, then they have to keep everything up to date. I just don't get it.

MBA is a hell of a drug.

Also that wouldn't stop OEMs and carriers from taking between a year and never to get not even new features but actual security updates.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

It would be nice to even get updates. My maxx was done with updates within...4 months? A lot of people here recommended it at the time and shortly after I got it Motorola was like nope sorry that's it. Nothing else. I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot, but it still irks me.

When Samsung is kicking your rear end on that front you know you've hosed up.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Quick question for the thread: I have a Nexus 5X, currently up to date on everything. I like having my notification content hidden on my lockscreen, but still visible. Is there a way to have that without the "content hidden" message?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

On Terra Firma posted:

Back in the gingerbread days Android looked like hot garbage, so OEMs did that to differentiate themselves. Its just spiraled out of control since then. Also, like Windows, if they didn't skin android there'd be no way for OEMs to differentiate their product and it'd be even more of a profitless race to the bottom on hardware like also with Windows OEMs.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

On Terra Firma posted:

When Samsung is kicking your rear end on that front you know you've hosed up.

Another plus to having an unlocked Samsung, AT&T is terrible at pushing out updates, and worse at actually making sure they work before doing it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Klowns posted:

Another plus to having an unlocked Samsung, AT&T is terrible at pushing out updates, and worse at actually making sure they work before doing it.

That you had to import and you can't actually exercise the warranty if you need to.

Samsung hates America and you shouldn't endorse their behavior with money.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

That you had to import and you can't actually exercise the warranty if you need to.

AT&T gives a year of warranty for imports, at least with the S7 Edge.

I always get my warranty through SquareTrade anyway.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
okay hopefully somebody can help with a frustrating problem im having

so i created a japanese google account, added it to my accounts on my phone, set the vpn to japan, opened up the play store and switched over to my newly created account and had access to the japanese play store.
i was able to download an app successfully but when i opened the play store back up again it was the english play store and now no matter what i do i cant get back to the japanese play store.
ive removed the account and re-added it numerous times, cleared the play store cache, cleared the play store data but nothing has worked.
any ideas???

tia

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
You need to change your address in Google Payments to a Japanese one and then wait like an hour.

If you have a Japanese credit card or something, sometimes buying and then refunding an app using that will make it change faster.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

They still make some of the best hardware out there though even if their software blows.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

On Terra Firma posted:

They still make some of the best hardware out there though even if their software blows.

And when you can plug the hardware directly into your nervous system we can stop factoring in the software.

EDIT: Actually we couldn't; we'd still have to deal with Samsung's APIs and I wouldn't put it past them to make their own snowflake mind-machine interface. Man, now I'm pretty sure ditching their UI wouldn't actually help much.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 25, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

And when you can plug the hardware directly into your nervous system we can stop factoring in the software.

EDIT: Actually we couldn't; we'd still have to deal with Samsung's APIs and I wouldn't put it past them to make their own snowflake mind-machine interface. Man, now I'm pretty sure ditching their UI wouldn't actually help much.

I replaced my nervous system with Tizen and now 난 진짜 다 잘못해! 아 어떻게!?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I know and it's killing me. I've been obsessively weighing my options with what's out there including the HTC and everything I want/need leads me back to the S7. It's...insanely frustrating.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

On Terra Firma posted:

I know and it's killing me. I've been obsessively weighing my options with what's out there including the HTC and everything I want/need leads me back to the S7. It's...insanely frustrating.

I'd say Nexus, because I'm a broken record, but if you can, wait until I/O for new models and probable discounts on old models.

Also the odds are decent HTC doesn't make it through their three-year Nexus contract under their own funding and Google straight-up buys them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also the odds are decent HTC doesn't make it through their three-year Nexus contract under their own funding and Google straight-up buys them.

Because owning a phone OEM worked out so well for Google once already.