Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Andrast posted:

It's an optional boss.

Its all well and good to say that but from looking thats a bug that will keep happening to me all the way through and I would rather know what the fix is for the coop being totes hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Groovelord Neato posted:

farron keep was a cakewalk compared to similar areas in the other games i have no idea how i'm seeing so many complaints about it.

Speaking as someone who started with this game: the way Dark Souls handles status effects is awful and stupid, the way deep water works is awful and stupid, Farron Keep is the first time you encounter both in significant amounts.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

farron keep was a cakewalk compared to similar areas in the other games i have no idea how i'm seeing so many complaints about it.

The issue isn't a matter of difficulty. Complaints aren't exclusively because someone got salty.

Farron Keep is bad because it is the 3rd time they have used the concept, and it is decidedly an unfun one. It only worked in Demon's Souls because it was so thematically memorable that the audience looked past the moment by moment experience and saw the composition as a whole. Farron Keep does not have the same thing going on. It's yet-another-swamp, topped off with an apparently unrelated boss encounter. The problem is it is the same thing all over again, with nothing to justify putting the player through an unfun experience or make it memorable beyond being unfun.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

Well, regardless of his identity it's a very difficult fight kinda... out of nowhere.

Easy way to beat him is to kite him by circling around the fountain in the middle, wait for the three hit combo, and on the third delayed hit roll-dodge towards him, get a hit or two in, roll out, and repeat.

Had to use my way of white circlet because I had "improperly terminated" multiplayer sessions due to their servers crapping themselves last night, so don't try to MP if you're getting frequent disconnects.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's boring and ugly, more or less. It's not actually hard, just tedious and wearying to have to look at for the 10-15 minutes it takes to do a complete run through of the place.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Kiggles posted:

The issue isn't a matter of difficulty. Complaints aren't exclusively because someone got salty.

Farron Keep is bad because it is the 3rd time they have used the concept, and it is decidedly an unfun one. It only worked in Demon's Souls because it was so thematically memorable that the audience looked past the moment by moment experience and saw the composition as a whole. Farron Keep does not have the same thing going on. It's yet-another-swamp, topped off with an apparently unrelated boss encounter. The problem is it is the same thing all over again, with nothing to justify putting the player through an unfun experience or make it memorable beyond being unfun.

yeah its just loving tedious to do

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I killed the Pontiff dude and ran outside to begin the next area when I got invaded. I ran back a bit and shouted and emoted then we fought and killed each other with our final blows.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only actually tedious part is the last flame because the water's deep.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't see how that would affect it, but I'm really hoping that's not the case because it would take me 600k souls to remove the curse.
does any of it make any sense?! We were unequiping weapons, restarting the game, we thought having "gently caress" in the password did it because they were turned into asterisks. Summoner embered, not embered. Levels where we both didn't beat the boss, where one of us beat the boss. Leveled closer to his level and told him to stop loving leveling so much.

He thought it was his lovely router.... He got a new loving router.

In the end, when he wasn't hollowed I could see his signs and he could see mine, just not at the same time. If we both had them down, you couldn't see the other.I didn't even need to be embered and he saw my sign. I could see, in real time, when he removed a sign and put it back down.

I know it doesn't make any sense. First sucess was at cleaning chapel by the well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's a Bad Zone and is easily my least favorite part of the game, and I'm including the Demon Ruins in this equation.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because half of it feels like you're literally walking through cake to get to the next area. :v:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Cyberventurer posted:

Because half of it feels like you're literally walking through cake to get to the next area. :v:

gently caress that lovely swamp

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yea it was pretty easy

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there any way to get hodrick's armor?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

double nine posted:

is there any way to get hodrick's armor?

Yes. Complete Sirris' questline until she swears loyalty to you. Once you defeat Dragonslayer Armour, Hodrick's grave will be back in the area before Iudex Gundyr, where you can loot his armor. After you defeat Twin Princes, her own grave will be next to his, and you can get her talisman and shield from it (as well as purchasing her armor from the Shrine Handmaiden).

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's nice. That doesn't make it good. Let me requote you so you can better understand the contention.

Groovelord Neato posted:

farron keep compared to similar areas in the other games
This is the third time the poison muck convention has been used. The gameplay convention was never fun in the first place, it just worked because of the strong/memorable thematic design. DkS1 got enough guff for failing to hit the same nostalgia buttons, but it was the first revisiting. It didn't work. It still doesn't work. They should have let it go.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The middle is definitely the weakest part of the game. You go from Swamp version 3 through the generic catacomb level only to arrive at the giant turd that is the smouldering lake and the demon ruins. It's especially jarring after the strong start the game has.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kiggles posted:

This is the third time the poison muck convention has been used. The gameplay convention was never fun in the first place, it just worked because of the strong/memorable thematic design. DkS1 got enough guff for failing to hit the same nostalgia buttons, but it was the first revisiting. It didn't work. It still doesn't work. They should have let it go.

there will always be water dungeons in zelda.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak were nowhere near as bad as Farron Keep in terms of level design. Earthen Peak had a single optional muck zone you could wade through and the muck zone before the bonfire (which you could get through without being poisoned consistently if you didn't roll); every other poison area is just a poison cloud that you can sprint through easily. The fact that Dark Souls 1 had "zone with poison muck" in it does not absolve Farron Keep of being a Bad Zone.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What annoys me about Farron is that they went so overboard with the poison that they had to nerf it so that area wouldn't be completely unfun. Which means poison is basically worthless now, and toxic is only as strong as previous games' poison.

I never had a problem with Blighttown in DS1, I thought it was a cool area :shobon:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

There wasn't a "move slow as a fat man and get poisoned" level in DS2. There was only a "get poisoned" level.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vermain posted:

Yes. Complete Sirris' questline until she swears loyalty to you. Once you defeat Dragonslayer Armour, Hodrick's grave will be back in the area before Iudex Gundyr, where you can loot his armor. After you defeat Twin Princes, her own grave will be next to his, and you can get her talisman and shield from it (as well as purchasing her armor from the Shrine Handmaiden).

you can get it before you beat Dragonslayer Armor actually, just follow her questline until you get to the part where you help her kill Hodrick, then go back to the Pit of Hollows and his armor will be there

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Moreover, there wasn't a "move slow as a fat man and get poisoned while a Deer Dude who spawns Affinity every swing chases you at warp speed through it" level in DS2.

CharlestonJew posted:

you can get it before you beat Dragonslayer Armor actually, just follow her questline until you get to the part where you help her kill Hodrick, then go back to the Pit of Hollows and his armor will be there

Thanks for the correction; didn't know you could get it that early.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kiggles posted:

There wasn't a "move slow as a fat man and get poisoned" level in DS2. There was only a "get poisoned" level.

running through the spitting statues was worse than all of farron keep.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
I think Blight Town was great, but not a huge fan of Farron Keep. I remember hitting Blight Town in my first playthrough with my friend and saying "THIS is Dark Souls" because my only previous experience was playing Demon's Souls for a few hours. I went from moving super slow and methodical to feeling rushed because if you don't move quickly through the lower section of Blight Town you start taking poison damage which made me start freaking out.

I think the "poison muck" section works well for new players, but to people who have played through it, I can understand it being boring, used, and annoying more than fun.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

kikkelivelho posted:

the giant turd that is the smouldering lake and the demon ruins.

I've seen a lot of people hating on Smouldering Lake and the ruins, and I don't get it. I went there right after Wolnir and I will take Ghrus and fire demons over loving skeletons any day of the week. Baiting the ballista into killing things/unearthing treasure for me was a fun challenge and the catharsis of finally shutting that thing down was strong. I liked the boss because he's the only one thus far I've been able to kill with only sorcery and without taking a hit.

The two lava sections were annoying but only in a 'corpse dragging to retrieve my souls' way and they were entirely optional and had mediocre item rewards.

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012
I didn't invade in DeS or BB at all but it's super fun in DSIII. Maybe it's because the levels are more intentionally designed around PVP now? I'm not good at these games but I was happy about this triple kill. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC75zDt4e1Y

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

You don't say

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, I love my rapiers, but I have heard some people accusing them of being unfairly broken. However, in PVP and Co-op, no one ever seems to be using rapiers except for me. Are rapiers actually broken or are some people being babies?

Rapiers are really great for anyone who just spams R1 straightsword, but any hyperarmor move will cut right through the poke.

Calaveron posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but neither DS, DS2, BB or DS3 have managed to match the absolute (relative) terror and desolation Tower of Latria managed to inspire on me.

The ceaseless throbbing noise of Tower of Latria 3-2.....

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

running through the spitting statues was worse than all of farron keep.

After my second or third runthrough of Black Gulch, I figured out how to get through it with a minimum of hassle in about a minute. I will never be able to do Farron Keep faster, because I will always be moving like a salted snail through certain sections.

Melanion posted:

I've seen a lot of people hating on Smouldering Lake and the ruins, and I don't get it. I went there right after Wolnir and I will take Ghrus and fire demons over loving skeletons any day of the week. Baiting the ballista into killing things/unearthing treasure for me was a fun challenge and the catharsis of finally shutting that thing down was strong. I liked the boss because he's the only one thus far I've been able to kill with only sorcery and without taking a hit.

The two lava sections were annoying but only in a 'corpse dragging to retrieve my souls' way and they were entirely optional and had mediocre item rewards.

Smouldering Lake is a very "whatever" zone for me. I'd like it more if the Lightning Worm didn't have the most godawful hitbox in history and you could actually spear the thing consistently with the ballista (seriously, the bolts travel straight through its neck and head). Demon Ruins is garbage: cramped hallways with multiple strong enemies packed around every corner, fire-resistant slimes (ugh), lava death pits, and Knight Slayer Tsorig and his bullshit FUGS.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 24, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Vermain posted:

After my second or third runthrough of Black Gulch, I figured out how to get through it with a minimum of hassle in about a minute. I will never be able to do Farron Keep faster, because I will always be moving like a salted snail through certain sections.

Quickstep.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Doesnt matter if you find Farron Keep easy or whatever, hell I found it extremely easy using a bow, but I still agree it was overall a lovely area and I don't understand why it leads to the Abyss Watchers

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
This Unable to summon phantom bullshit is getting really loving old on the ps4.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

Doesnt matter if you find Farron Keep easy or whatever, hell I found it extremely easy using a bow, but I still agree it was overall a lovely area and I don't understand why it leads to the Abyss Watchers

because it was their keep that was overtaken by the swamp.

Kiggles posted:

You don't say

you can roll between every island in farron keep that is required to finish the area which is the same speed.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

because it was their keep that was overtaken by the swamp.

I thought they were like the brady bunch that travelled wherever a sign of Abyss was

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Melanion posted:

The triple ballista is the worst and the demon ruins have the look and feel of an optional Bethesda filler dungeon.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Vermain posted:

Smouldering Lake is a very "whatever" zone for me. I'd like it more if the Lightning Worm didn't have the most godawful hitbox in history and you could actually spear the thing consistently with the ballista (seriously, the bolts travel straight through its neck and head). Demon Ruins is garbage: cramped hallways with multiple strong enemies packed around every corner, fire-resistant slimes (ugh), lava death pits, and Knight Slayer Tsorig and his bullshit FUGS.

I'll be honest. I ended up dying twice trying to ballista the worm before giving up and using the sniper spot. As for the rest, I still favourably compared it to the skelly tombs above. This might have to do with my loadout, though, because Raw Estoc +6 with Great Magic Weapon chewed through absolutely everything down there and for whatever reason I one-shot Tsorig and then died four times to the black knight on the bridge above him.

kikkelivelho posted:

The triple ballista is the worst and the demon ruins have the look and feel of an optional Bethesda filler dungeon.

Difference of opinion, then. I got the delayed triple roll required to dodge the ballista in the open down fairly quickly, and I cackled like mad as I used it to to make crab kebabs. As for the other complaint, I didn't find the visuals any worse than the skelly catacombs and I liked the enemies far more.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 24, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can roll between every island in farron keep that is required to finish the area which is the same speed.
You're still missing the point. It is the same level used twice before. The comparison with DS2 is to illustrate it is actually a different take on the mechanical design of a level. Valley of Defilement gets the pass for A) being the first in the series. B) strong/memorable thematic design. DkS1, whatever. It was bad, and for what it's worth, Farron is a better "level" than Lower Blighttown. The problem is, trudging around in muck has never been fun, but this is the THIRD TIME they're doing it.

You don't have to agree, but your initial assertion made is seem that anyone's contention was a matter of it being hard. This entire time I have been trying to communicate that it has nothing to do with it being hard. It isn't. It just isn't fun. You can have fun with it, but we aren't. I never had fun with it. I definitely don't have fun with it the third time.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kiggles posted:

Actually Valley of Defilement worked because it's a good concept. Narrow islands of safe and unfettered movement surrounded by zones of restricted movement and poison. It's not instant death, but it's a nice way to kneecap the player's mobility without entirely denying them movement around the place.

Really, the only bad parts about Farron's Keep is it has slimes, which are just uninteresting wastes of time, and picking up the items after you've done everything, which is tedious. But the other enemies work well there and it's a fun place to fight invaders.

edit: It's me, I'm the poison marsh bad level apologist. I also like Dark Souls 2, and possibly the snow place with the reindeers????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I can happily do PvP and PvE, but if I try to help someone with a boss, I get told that my framerate is too low and kicked out to main menu. What gives? The game runs fine otherwise, I can even watch the bossfights progressing smoothly if I don't press the "you're out" button prompt. Does anyone know what triggers the message?