Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
A race like this really emphasies just how dumb the Monza first chicane is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
57 cars holy poo poo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also it's a Merc leading so familiar territory for F1 fans.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Is Vadim Kogan in the race?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
John Watson is so racist :allears:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That black Mercedes down in 11th is looking a bit ominous.

I want F1 cars sponsored by chupa chups lollies.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

How did nobody smash into that stationary Ferrari?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nice to see Ferrari loving up at Monza is a universal truth for all race series.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

gret posted:

Is Vadim Kogan in the race?

*Kogay, and I'm pretty sure he's blacklisted. Why the gently caress didn't that Ferrari go down that escape road that the marshal was directing him to? Was he trying to make it to pit lane for a quick fix on his BLOWN ENGINE? Jesus.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LOL pit lane's so tight and congested they had to use a dolly to turn e Nissan so it could squeeze out of the pits.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You know what would make F1 more exiting? Big spikes that come up though the ground which lift the car up.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Have a lottery where the team doesn't know if it will get a lift or an impaled driver during the race.

I'm sure Bernie would approve.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
would certainly add additional pressure on hitting your marks.

Attention: Former Manor F1 driver Will Stevens was driving the W racing team Audi during the first stint.

edit: it's car 28.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 24, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
lol Bentley are the Ralf Schumacher of GT.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
impossible with DRS

https://twitter.com/F1/status/724225146517512192

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

not really

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
wicka I likes ya but this is why you invite shitstorms. Maybe elaborate on why you feel that way???

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

With DRS, Shumi would've just opened the flap and breezed past on the finish straight. No way Alonso could've defended from that short of straight up blocking or intentionally falling behind at the detection point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

nsaP posted:

wicka I likes ya but this is why you invite shitstorms. Maybe elaborate on why you feel that way???

i don't think the results of races are different just because they are watched by different people. DRS has been around for awhile and it has quite clearly not ended close battles. if anything it has encouraged them. how often have you seen the trailing car get a slightly worse exit from the corner prior to the DRS line and been unable to make the pass? it's not a guaranteed overtake button unless the trailing car is massively faster, which is kind of the point.

if anything you should ask mr hefe why a battle between two closely matched cars would be ruined by DRS given the literally zero examples of that occurring

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

With DRS, Shumi would've just opened the flap and breezed past on the finish straight. No way Alonso could've defended from that short of straight up blocking or intentionally falling behind at the detection point.

that's actually kind of impossible given the imola layout of the time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

that's actually kind of impossible given the imola layout of the time

With how close he was I'd say there was enough track left to get his nose in front before the timing line.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

With how close he was I'd say there was enough track left to get his nose in front before the timing line.

no I mean there was a 90 degree chicane in the middle of the start/finish straight. none of the imola straights were long enough for DRS to be that useful.

surely someone can provide an example of a late race battle for the lead being ruined by DRS if that's such a common scenario

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It being next to impossible to overtake without a massive time advantage because of dirty air was much, much more serious and damaging a problem than whatever DRS is.

DRS isn't about giving the car behind an advantage. It's about trying to neutralize the effect of turbulent air which gives the car in front an inherent advantage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
furthermore that race is overrated as poo poo and I can name like at least ten races in the horrible DRS era that kick that race's rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone who claims that F1 was better in 2005 than it is now should be brutally and insanely murdered. That season was so overrated at the time because of the novelty of Ferrari not winning everything. I hate that stupid no-tire-changes rule so much.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
It's such a shame what F1 has become, I hope we can one day go back to the glory days of the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2006 was a great season. 2005 sucked rear end

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Honestly one of my favorite seasons was 2008, two teams that could win any weekend plus a few other competitive cars that were able to challenge and got wins too, it was a great fun season, unlike the last 3 or 4 including this one which have been completely loving awful.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lol it's Imola. You can't pass anyway.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Norns posted:

Schumacher made a pretty nifty pass against Senna for the lead in 1994.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
A Mclaren won ahead of a Mercedes.

Something you won't see this season in F1.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Norns posted:

Of course you can pass, you can pass at any track if you're brave and good enough provided you got the car.

Just ask Montoya and his performances in Monaco.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

gret posted:

:vince:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Attention Americans! There might be a scheduling problem on NBCSN for the Russian Grand Prix, due to Leicester City going for the Premier League title at around the same time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
lol. It won't be the decider on May 1st, it will probably go down to the wire and be decided on the 15th of May. It's because they are playing Man U which is the only team the yanks care about.

For those not following this story, It's like if Haas were in for a real shout of winning the WCC next year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gret posted:

Schumacher killed Senna, just like he killed everything else good in F1.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Senna: didn't know how to steer a car, dead
Schumi: bravely headbutts a big rear end rock that had the audacity to stand in his way, still alive

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

lol. It won't be the decider on May 1st, it will probably go down to the wire and be decided on the 15th of May. It's because they are playing Man U which is the only team the yanks care about.

For those not following this story, It's like if Haas were in for a real shout of winning the WCC next year.

that might be an understatement, tbh

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

be nice wicka posted:

that might be an understatement, tbh

Leicester City = Brawn GP

Team literally on the brink of dropping out of the top level of the sport one season, shows up with a change of management structure at the beginning of the next and blows everyone away whilst the usual top runners are tripping over in bouts of hilarious drama and stupidity.

Also in this scenario I guess Tottenham Hotspur are Red Bull (showing up in the runners up spot thanks to a late season surge, and everyone hates them).

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Leicester City = Brawn GP

Team literally on the brink of dropping out of the top level of the sport one season, shows up with a change of management structure at the beginning of the next and blows everyone away whilst the usual top runners are tripping over in bouts of hilarious drama and stupidity.

Also in this scenario I guess Tottenham Hotspur are Red Bull (showing up in the runners up spot thanks to a late season surge, and everyone hates them).

arsenal are williams

• Locked thread