Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Fair enough then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a fair amount of optional bosses in dark souls 3 and you can also do a pretty big sequence break early on if you know what you're doing and can handle it. it's at least handled a lot better than the dark souls 2 system of 'lol i dunno get a lot of souls'

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I don't like how they restart the game everytime they open a door to cheat the in-game time instead of just doing an RTA.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I don't like how they restart the game everytime they open a door to cheat the in-game time instead of just doing an RTA.

I'm assuming that's because load times are going to vary pretty wildly in this resource hog of a game and that's just an unfortunate side effect.

DS2 "fixed" this problem by having a ten-minute unskippable credit sequence at the end of the run where the in-game timer kept running. :v:

e: The thing with Spook where you trick the game into thinking you survived a fatal fall by simply quit/restarting the game is hilarious though.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 23, 2016

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
I think that's mostly done to reset enemy positions and aggro, but it might vary from case to case.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

i agree.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It's weird that the any% runs seem to be optimized for real time, while the all bosses runs seem to go for game time.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

it should be noted that the person who organized the marathon this was a part of has been all but kicked out of the community after having been caught cheating in a run.

It seems as if the "runner" did this as a joke at their expense rather than as an attempt at passing the run off as their own.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

If looks like it isn't really RTA. I think they base it on the in game timer. I've seen them adjust their current split clock by a little when loading back in sometimes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeXReX posted:

it should be noted that the person who organized the marathon this was a part of has been all but kicked out of the community after having been caught cheating in a run.

It seems as if the "runner" did this as a joke at their expense rather than as an attempt at passing the run off as their own.
Yeah, the guy posted on Reddit that it was pretty much just a middle-finger at Chibi.

Not as big a middle-finger as when the stream got hijacked and Goatse'd after one of the organizers accidentally streamed the Teamviewer password out, but a middle finger regardless.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I was wondering if I had missed something that there was a marathon being run by and starring Chibi that people would want to participate in or watch. But apparently the whole thing exploded and the twitch account deleted so that seems about right I guess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tracula posted:

If looks like it isn't really RTA. I think they base it on the in game timer. I've seen them adjust their current split clock by a little when loading back in sometimes.

it's still kinda silly to quit out to menu for door openings.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
They should just pause the timer for loads like a lot of other PC game speedrunners do.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I was wondering if I had missed something that there was a marathon being run by and starring Chibi that people would want to participate in or watch. But apparently the whole thing exploded and the twitch account deleted so that seems about right I guess.
I didn't even know who was responsible for it until this thread explained, so I imagine there were quite a few people who got hoodwinked

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's also at least a little silly to time yourself playing a single player video game according to rules that were just kind of made up by whoever started doing it for that game first as a whole so whatever.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Was Chibi the one asked to shut up during a Tomba run on a GDQ a couple years ago?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Eldred posted:

Was Chibi the one asked to shut up during a Tomba run on a GDQ a couple years ago?

Yes. That's also like his sole claim to fame.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Eldred posted:

Sure is, also made the hilarious tweet about bringing condoms to GDQ, and also cheated on some speedrun (hence the spliced DX:HR run thing at ESM just now).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also did the iwata funeral thing

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wait he cheated on a speedrun lmao i didnt know that

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

wait he cheated on a speedrun lmao i didnt know that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BBiPeDXM0

Groovelord Neato posted:

It got so bad they made a quitout/no quitout category for Bloodborne.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hanales posted:

lol that is incredible. and actually cool. i'd much rather see people do the runs without quit abuse so they can respawn after killer falls and poo poo.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

CrashCat posted:

I didn't even know who was responsible for it until this thread explained, so I imagine there were quite a few people who got hoodwinked

I refuse to believe it was a joke because it's funnier if it was real.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

CVagts posted:

They should just pause the timer for loads like a lot of other PC game speedrunners do.

They do. Livesplit has an autotimer for DS3 which pulls from the in-game time, so it's paused on loadscreens.

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's a fair amount of optional bosses in dark souls 3 and you can also do a pretty big sequence break early on if you know what you're doing and can handle it. it's at least handled a lot better than the dark souls 2 system of 'lol i dunno get a lot of souls'

Both DS1 and DS2 have more optional bosses than DS3.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Eldred posted:

Chibi was told to "shut the gently caress up" by PJ, whom I can't imagine telling anyone to shut the gently caress up even though I saw the tweet.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

hanales posted:

Bloodborne is kind of a different since loading times were loving absurd prepatch. 40+ seconds for anything and then there were some stupid skips you could do as well.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I come bearing details of Superdogthon to raise money to get Fladervy to SGDQ to run Milla%! We're running the marathon between the 30th of April to the 2nd of May.

The schedule is located here: https://horaro.org/superdogthon2016/schedule

It might shuffle a bit between now and then, but this is the plan. I'm running Silent Hill just to completely ruin the tone in the middle of the marathon, and also rejoining for the big 4-way Lilac race for the finale! I will almost certainly lose because it's at like 5am my time and I will be completely shattered! Thrilling!

The marathon will be hosted on Johann's channel here: http://twitch.tv/johannhowitzer

Please look forward to it!

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 30, 2016

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Violently Car posted:

Chibi was told to "shut the gently caress up" by PJ, whom I can't imagine telling anyone to shut the gently caress up even though I saw the tweet.

What prompted that?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Chibi tweeted something like "wow someone messed up worse than me?" after that Crash 2 death abuse run. The tweet's deleted now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How did the crash 2 death abuse thing get screwed up?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

FirstAidKite posted:

How did the crash 2 death abuse thing get screwed up?

that was the dude who said he was gonna go crazy and kill a bunch of people someday

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

crash 2 has a bunch of death abuse to warp to check points, each time he did it he made a suicide joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_WqMMBBUMY

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lord Chumley posted:

that was the dude who said he was gonna go crazy and kill a bunch of people someday

Ah geez

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nah you guys, thats old speedrunning drama, talking about that here is incredibly illegal

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im kidding, its actually hilarious

dark souls 3 is great, but I watched some speedruns of it, and it seemed like just a lot of saving and quitting

not the greatest watch ever

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bloodborne is such a great game it saddens me all the speedruns of it suck and are mostly load screens.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I get the no timer between load screens and thats a smart decision, its just too bad people have to poo poo up runs by saving and quitting

I wish Dark Souls runs had a no S & Q any% or all bosses run, that would a good watch

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Bloodborne is such a great game it saddens me all the speedruns of it suck and are mostly load screens.
Only boring people run it unpatched, RTA it's effectively the same time if you include the storage character setup (and patched has cooler skips in general)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
nothing beats dark souls 1 all bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

scary ghost dog posted:

nothing beats dark souls 1 all bosses

The best are all the insane gimmick runs that LobosJr does for DS1.

• Locked thread