Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/fffreakmtg/status/724272834277695489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Nobody watches official MtG streams because they have 3rd rate production values and because MODO sucks dick. It's not rocket science.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's for wotc to decide how to spend its marketing budget, but giving people so little time's notice is lovely.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol
https://twitter.com/fffreakmtg/status/724245424551411712

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

happy page 666

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Value?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Skyl3lazer posted:

happy page 666

HAIL SATAN!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Cernunnos posted:

HAIL SATAN!

am I doing this right

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Skyl3lazer posted:

happy page 666

HAIL SATAN! someone get me a beta unholy strength plz & ty all hail our dark lord and master

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like Wotc could make their events cheaper for then and most involved if they would just host the pt in the US. Seems like a more sane thing to do.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

odiv posted:

Is viewership of the PTs even really that high? It seems like the vast majority of people who buy Magic cards probably don't really give a poo poo about it. And of those who do, I doubt that many of them care how much the appearance fee is. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how and if the quality of play drops (or how that can even be measured). At least the WotC write-up on the changes includes the old amounts so we don't have to go hunting them down.

Ah, cold business math.

Relative to other twitch streams and esports? no way. For magic events? Yes. Back when the fight about modern PT's was on after the original "nothing but standard!" announcement and they added modern back, Helene Bergot defended the decision by pointing out the last couple modern PT's had the highest viewership of any PT's in history. I understand finally why the PT having modern is an issue, but like many who like the modern format, watching pro level play is really enjoyable. It is a false dichotomy WOTC created themselves, you can only have this high level play if the format gets significant shakeups prior to the event. The pro tour is what it is, but there is nothing stopping them from making a high level invitational event with good prize support. Have it every summer and call it the masters championship and rotate between legacy and modern every other year, draft the "blank masters" set and play the format, as is. It would be a 5th PT basically but invites can be whatever criteria they want and we get to see some good eternal format play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I don't want to say I'm better at Magic than Steve Rubin, but I think my X/0 lifetime record against him in limited speaks for itself.

X is 1. And it was a team draft.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I'm interested to see how many Magic pros (i.e. people really doing this for their profession, like the platinum ones) drop out now.

Sickening posted:

I feel like Wotc could make their events cheaper for then and most involved if they would just host the pt in the US. Seems like a more sane thing to do.

The Europeans would lose their dang minds.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

clamiam45 posted:

I'm interested to see how many Magic pros (i.e. people really doing this for their profession, like the platinum ones) drop out now.

I'd venture to bet, very few. Appearance fees aren't really where the money is in pro Magic. And if 2 or 3 thousand dollars a year difference makes it unsustainable as a pro, then it wasn't a financially viable profession in the first place.

Edit: I use the term "profession" exceedingly loosely here

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

I don't want to say I'm better at Magic than Steve Rubin, but I think my X/0 lifetime record against him in limited speaks for itself.

X is 1. And it was a team draft.

My record against Pro Tour winners is 1-0 as well based on that one time I beat Craig Wescoe in a MODO tournament.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

stinkles1112 posted:

I'd venture to bet, very few. Appearance fees aren't really where the money is in pro Magic. And if 2 or 3 thousand dollars a year difference makes it unsustainable as a pro, then it wasn't a financially viable profession in the first place.

Ah ha ha ha. Your logic is as bad as your math. Platinum players are losing ~11k/yr on this. If you wouldn't start looking at other jobs after a forced 11k/yr pay cut, you're a loving moron.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Ah ha ha ha. Your logic is as bad as your math. Platinum players are losing ~11k/yr on this. If you wouldn't start looking at other jobs after a forced 11k/yr pay cut, you're a loving moron.

I would say that if you are relying on being a magic pro as your primary source of income, you're already a moron.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Who's this guy? I like the song and hair style evolution.

https://twitter.com/mishrasfotoshop/status/724071780101423105

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

https://twitter.com/mishrasfotoshop/status/724071780101423105

That's Finkel. He used to be a fat kid with terrible hair.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 26, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

happy page 666

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I do not think evolution is the right word to describe that

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Skyl3lazer posted:

happy page 666
Hail seitan.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

stinkles1112 posted:

Platinum pros are losing about $11k a year. And I'd also wager that anyone taking a pay CUT to do the same thing (even if only 2 or 3k) would reevaluate if they're working in the right place. It seems doubly strange because it's largely a pittance from what I'd imagine WotC is pulling in-there's like 40 platinum pros total.

It really feels like they want to deemphasize competitive play and the idea of "magic pros" entirely.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

They're only trying to kill organized play so that they can disband the judge program, duh. :tinfoil:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'd love to see a balance sheet of Wizards' revenue and expenditures. Richard Garfield's Magic IP is a license to print money, but Wizards spends like a desperate company on the verge of bankruptcy and they've cut a lot of things that are important to long-term profitability. I suspect that someone promised Hasbro that Magic would keep growing at the same rate as that crazy period from Innistrad to Khans, and now that Magic is stagnating this is panic to preserve that person's job.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

Or wotc could stop being ridiculously greedy and look at the PT as a loss leader that improves the visibility of their game and makes players want to buy more singles.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Or wotc could stop being ridiculously greedy and look at the PT as a loss leader that improves the visibility of their game and makes players want to buy more singles.

The problem with that is they make no money off the secondary market and people watching the pro tour are probably not going to get excited when a deck wins to the point where they go play cardboard lottery to see if they can get the key cards for that deck.

Perhaps if they did what the Pokemon TCG does and, you know, actually reprint expensive cards aggressively?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you think the only thing that matters is immediate profit you might be able to get a job with them, so bravo.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Count Bleck posted:

The problem with that is they make no money off the secondary market and people watching the pro tour are probably not going to get excited when a deck wins to the point where they go play cardboard lottery to see if they can get the key cards for that deck.

Perhaps if they did what the Pokemon TCG does and, you know, actually reprint expensive cards aggressively?

The secondary market opens a lot packs, actually - Retailers open a lot of product to stock their shelves, and Limited is driven by players who are looking to offset the cost of the event by selling the good cards.

Hell, Limited is only really viable for Magic play at all because of the secondary market.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Let's not have the reprint policy argument for five pages again, please

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chamale posted:

I'd love to see a balance sheet of Wizards' revenue and expenditures. Richard Garfield's Magic IP is a license to print money, but Wizards spends like a desperate company on the verge of bankruptcy and they've cut a lot of things that are important to long-term profitability. I suspect that someone promised Hasbro that Magic would keep growing at the same rate as that crazy period from Innistrad to Khans, and now that Magic is stagnating this is panic to preserve that person's job.

Is there any evidence that things have slowed down since Khans? I mean for all the griping around here it was my impression that BFZ/OOG sold like gangbusters due to expedition hunters, and SoI seems to have been well received.

Count Bleck posted:

People buying more singles translates into more packs opened. As was said, it's also about raising the general visibility of your game even if you're not immediately able to tie pro tour viewers to some instant profit stream.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Anecdotaly standard attendance was down quite a bit the last six months at most shops it sounds like. I don't know how much of it was made up for in Modern / drafting. No idea on actual player counts of course because nobody knows that and only Wizards has the roughest idea.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Is there any evidence that things have slowed down since Khans? I mean for all the griping around here it was my impression that BFZ/OOG sold like gangbusters due to expedition hunters, and SoI seems to have been well received.
The thing is even if sales haven't slowed down, some business people think you need to always be growing (or cutting costs).

"Increased profits are great! How do we get even more?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Off-topic, but what are the competitive formats for Pokemon TCG? Do they have equivalents to Standard, Modern, Draft etc.?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Off-topic, but what are the competitive formats for Pokemon TCG? Do they have equivalents to Standard, Modern, Draft etc.?

They have a standard format and a modern equivalent. Those are the only formats that the Pokemon company supports. Though they so have sealed for pre-releases.

E: they also only rotate standard once a year at worlds. Their modern like format was started in 2014 and hasn't rotated so far, but no one had said it won't in the future. So it could be more like extended used to be.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

C-Euro posted:

I;ve drafted Pokemon before. it was a very, very, very bizarre experience.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Isn't it done Rochester style?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elblanco posted:

They have a standard format and a modern equivalent. Those are the only formats that the Pokemon company supports. Though they so have sealed for pre-releases.

E: they also only rotate standard once a year at worlds. Their modern like format was started in 2014 and hasn't rotated so far, but no one had said it won't in the future. So it could be more like extended used to be.

They also have a legacy like format, which is fairly new and is more like "cards from since X set onwards" over every card with a banlist

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

They also have a legacy like format, which is fairly new and is more like "cards from since X set onwards" over every card with a banlist

Yea, that's what I was calling the modern like format, which I just remembered is called expanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elblanco posted:

Yea, that's what I was calling the modern like format, which I just remembered is called expanded.

They've since added another format, called Unlimited. It's literally like 2 or 3 months new in terms of playability on the Online client.

• Locked thread