Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sitting in Anor Londo, grinding out souls and theoretically ears. I accidentally aggro the second knight, and as he lightning slams my lifeless body to the stairs, "You are being summoned to another world" pops up on the screen and I remember that I never took off the Darkmoon Covenant after the last time I tried to bluecop.

Sorry I couldn't help you, whoever you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Farron is the 4th half speed movement zone in a From game. Or is the joke here that everybody is repressing all Shrine of Amana memories?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Farron is the 4th half speed movement zone in a From game. Or is the joke here that everybody is repressing all Shrine of Amana memories?

agreed, they should add instadeath pits and homing soul missile snipers all over farron keep

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Where can I buy more Oni Greatarrows?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ometeotl posted:

Where can I buy more Oni Greatarrows?

The maiden sells them after you give her Easterner's Ashes I believe.

Damon Gant
Mar 1, 2015

Azazell0 posted:

Here's a question from someone who hasn't played the previous games: is Yorshka a returning character? Her whole character is pretty mysterious.

She is meant to be reminicent of Priscilla.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

requires zero upgrades

right weapon got me through nearly the entire game

no dragons, no giants, only bops to the head with a wooden stick

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, though I've switched to the dark sword post Dragonslayer, mainly just for a bit of variety.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Fereydun posted:

agreed, they should add instadeath pits and homing soul missile snipers all over farron keep

There's too much terrain to block the soul arrows.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Need crystal crab in some late game area that casts spells in addition to being a crab.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Soooo my friend got me this for my birthday. Haven't had the chance to check it out yet. I'm a huge fan of the series. DS1 was my favorite and DS2 was... Okay. How well does this stack up against its predecessors? How much Bloodborne snuck it's way in to this one?

Is this good and should I be excited to dive in?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone having success with a heavy armor/greatshield/huge weapon build? It's going to require a lot of Str and Vitality to do and I'm not sure if it'll be worth it since this game likes to give you the finger for blocking.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stringbean posted:

Soooo my friend got me this for my birthday. Haven't had the chance to check it out yet. I'm a huge fan of the series. DS1 was my favorite and DS2 was... Okay. How well does this stack up against its predecessors? How much Bloodborne snuck it's way in to this one?

Is this good and should I be excited to dive in?

They took notes from Bloodborne and the areas in 3 are a lot like it (linear overall but with lots of shortcuts and hidden paths). There's also a lot more eldritch and culty poo poo going on than the other two. imo best souls game in the series despite whatever gripes I have with it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's at least one boss that looks like it was a BB design that ended up in the wrong game.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
So....farming infusion gems sucks in this game. They should have made them have a far higher drop rate.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Aldrich Faithful are a rude bunch. They won't even let a man drink in peace

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

It's a Bad Zone and is easily my least favorite part of the game, and I'm including the Demon Ruins in this equation.

Actually Farron Woods and that whole forested area is probably some of the best level design of its type I've seen. I love how both the Crucifixion Woods and Farron Keep are big, sprawling zones, but still feel Souls-like, particularly because there's encumbering mud to slow you down. They are visually gorgeous; Blighttown's world of endless shadows and purple was okay, but it was less visually interesting than even Valley of Defilement 2 and that was really just a big hazy purple sea of muck. Farron Woods has tons of subtle colors, natural tones, a wide variety of enemies, and tons and tons and tons of cool stuff to find and incentive to not just explore, but also take on challenging enemies.

It's a great zone for co-op as well, since large groups can mitigate the dense packs of enemies. You spent most of Blighttown being poisoned as well; my only issue is that it's a lot less easy to farm purple grass before the swamp zone, so poison is actually dangerous if you aren't using the healing miracle to cure the status. It's still more an annoyance than an active threat.

Farron Keep is the series' best swamp zone.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Who was it that said Gotthard Twinswords were the best in this thread? I've been trying them in NG+ and, uh, the moveset doesn't seem to be any good.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Farming for ears hasn't been as bad as I expected. I got like 10 in an hour yesterday. I managed to get over 300 item find with the Gold Serpent Ring +1, Symbol of Avarice, Crystal Sage Rapier in my left hand, and popping a Rusted Coin each time. I started deprived and haven't put a single point into luck, so I have 10 base. I just kill the two knights on the stairs since the red eye dude has more hp and is a slightly further run.

I'm up to 20 now total. 4 of them are from treasures in the world (there are 2 you can get off corpses, and since I'm in NG+ I was able to grab them a second time) and the other 16 are all from drops and haven't really been that bad. My other suggestion is to do it in short bursts, to make it less soul crushing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fact they still don't have the guts to make poison actually be dangerous says a lot about Farron Keep as an area in my opinion. If your area is built on gimmicks that are little more than a nuisance to the player (forced slow movement, poison that barely does anything) and don't provide any actual challenge, it's not a good area. I wouldn't say it's irredeemable or anything, but I just don't see what substance the gimmicks provide.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 24, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

requires zero upgrades

Nah you want to upgrade them because you also need those for the crabs.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like how the color palette switches between zones, each zone having a distinct color palette makes traveling through the world less tedious and gives you something to remember each zone.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
So everyone says greatswords need some love, but as invader (not fight clubs, just being a dickwraith and holding up players trying to play through the story) they seem to be the only viable option. If you aren't using one you'll get smashed over the head by one. Guys with greatswords, giant machetes, etc can kill my darkblade guy easily. My success rate went up tremendously when I moved onto a great machete weapon.

Seeing lots of guys also hide for ages and ages and ages. At one point I was invading in Catacombs, hiding behind the rock next to the bridge near boss and the guy took about 15 minutes to show up (when I invaded, everything was dead up to the rats) before I blasted him into the pit with chaos firestorm.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Farron keep was bad because it was kind of boring once you knew enough to quickstep through muck and snipe the npc invader, just wander around while poisoned and occasionally kill an easy mob or two and hope that you know how to keep track of where you're going because lmao at having visual reference points.

Catacombs were cool though and smouldering lake's biggest fault was being a lesser version of the catacombs.

e: also the smouldering lake crabs can eat my fuckin poo poo. gently caress those crabs. gently caress the loot that i fought those crabs for. i hate them!!

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 24, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Alright, these two dragons in the castle are pissing me off. I've killed a boatload of dragon knights, and I have yet to get a dragonslayer bow. There a corpse somewhere that might have one?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Alright, these two dragons in the castle are pissing me off. I've killed a boatload of dragon knights, and I have yet to get a dragonslayer bow. There a corpse somewhere that might have one?

Jump off the bridge to the left, wander about in the buildings for a bit. You'll get to a part where you can attack one of the dragons' abyss-infected claws from relative safety. Doing so will eliminate both of them permanently.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what makes the Chaos Blade better than a Sharp Uchi + 10? I feel like I'm missing something because I have 40 dex and its AR is way lower

poo poo, really? I might have to take another look then. I left my uchigatana at +9 because I was so drat sure the chaos blade would be doing more damage. I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed if it turns out I've been wrong this whole time :ohdear:

edit: here's a comparison between the chaos blade and uchigatana in my game, with 18str/40dex. The base AR on the uchi is higher, but even with the uchi being sharp the chaos blade has much better scaling.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 24, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I've heard bleed is supposed to be really good in this game. What are some weapons that take advantage of that, and what infusion path do you send them down to maximize the bleed potential?

Control Volume posted:

Farron keep was bad because it was kind of boring once you knew enough to quickstep through muck and snipe the npc invader, just wander around while poisoned and occasionally kill an easy mob or two and hope that you know how to keep track of where you're going because lmao at having visual reference points.

Yeah Farron Keep is just super dull. Sure doesn't help that about the only remotely dangerous enemies are the vicar priests solely because their loving trees could oneshot me from full health. Well them and the jump kick satyrs, but they are nowhere near as bad. Otherwise its just chopping through slugs, basilisks and tiny groups of satyrs. Fun.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Hamsterlady posted:

Farming for ears hasn't been as bad as I expected. I got like 10 in an hour yesterday. I managed to get over 300 item find with the Gold Serpent Ring +1, Symbol of Avarice, Crystal Sage Rapier in my left hand, and popping a Rusted Coin each time.

With 40 luck, Gold Serpant +2, and all that gear I still usually get 1-2 an hour. Apparently you can dual wield the Rapier for even MORE discovery. That's my next move.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

GodspeedSphere posted:

Apparently you can dual wield the Rapier for even MORE discovery. That's my next move.

:stare: Whaaat?

I've got to try this.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
At least with Farron, is that in subsequent playthroughs with a map and knowing where your going and which items you need, it only takes about 10 mins to zip through it. Shrine of Amana was always a pain in the dick. I guess Blighttown and NF in BB are both relatively easy to navigate once you know where you're going.

I guess the moral of the story is gently caress Shrine of Amana forever.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Lothric Castle boss spoilers

+ Shooting these seems to have no effect on the boss health bar
+ They have smaller health bars than the boss, but not really that small (in both of my fights the host + other phantom killed the boss before I killed this)
+ Tested all 3 greatarrows and as usual dragonslayer owns bones compared to the other two
+ They only become available for shooting during the second phase, and you probably need to have the boss knock down a wall for you to shoot through as well
+ I did try shooting both of them, damage was the same on both
+ If someone wants to summon me (L67/full-up weapon) and tank DSA forever maybe we can find out what happens if one/both of these dies, prob cs where Ornstein descends from heaven and gives you a helmet with plume nothing or simply the boss dies.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 24, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Viperix posted:

At least with Farron, is that in subsequent playthroughs with a map and knowing where your going and which items you need, it only takes about 10 mins to zip through it. Shrine of Amana was always a pain in the dick. I guess Blighttown and NF in BB are both relatively easy to navigate once you know where you're going.

I guess the moral of the story is gently caress Shrine of Amana forever.

Shrine of amana is actually incredible fun if you resolve to not use a bow, it turns from a long drawn out slog to an extremely fast hectic gauntlet

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah Farron Keep is just super dull. Sure doesn't help that about the only remotely dangerous enemies are the vicar priests solely because their loving trees could oneshot me from full health. Well them and the jump kick satyrs, but they are nowhere near as bad. Otherwise its just chopping through slugs, basilisks and tiny groups of satyrs. Fun.

I'd say that the zone's sheer size and the fact that you have to go wandering to all of its corners to deal with the torches, so the combination of the varied enemy groups, the poison effect, and your capacity to indulge in greed and go after shinies just off the beaten path, all contribute to an overall challenge. Like all the other swamps, its' largely a war of attrition. It's certainly harder than Blighttown's swamp overall, which is quite easy to traverse with the ring and the trolls are the only really dangerous mobs in the area.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I upped a wolf knight greatsword to +10 and I basically slept through Lothric Castle. The endgame seems a bit easy so far.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Equipping sun princess ring and ancient dragon greatshield will give you a just-about higher regen than the poison's ticks can take away so keep that in mind if you want to explore Farron Keep hassle-free.

I think what detracts away from FK is the lack of a Rusted Iron Ring that would take away the mobility penalty in swamps. It was a godsend in the original DS. If such a ring existed in DS3 I'm sure a lot of the complaints would go away.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Whats the best infusion for a Dark Sword, I hear you can get crazy AR out of it somehow.

Also if I hit up NG+ then can I still get the normal versions of the upgradable rings? Probably a stupid question but this is the same game that hosed me out of someones questline because I went to a bonfire too fast.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Whats the best infusion for a Dark Sword, I hear you can get crazy AR out of it somehow.

My 30 int 30 faith guy has 440 AR on his chaos +10 dark blade, I can't remember if that's with the fire clutch ring or not.

If you infuse it with a dark gem, does that make it a Dark Dark Sword?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Came up with (unoriginal) stupid gimmick, no one will fight me they all just want to wave and then run into the fog. (spent literally minute on the face likeness)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Which area is worse, Smoldering Lake or Irithyll Dungeon?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My 30 int 30 faith guy has 440 AR on his chaos +10 dark blade, I can't remember if that's with the fire clutch ring or not.

If you infuse it with a dark gem, does that make it a Dark Dark Sword?

Actually, I tried doing that. It just becomes a "Reinforced Dark Sword"

Fromsoft!