Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I like the sketchy shading thay've added. It's a big part of Miuras artsyle and something I felt the movies where missing. They're kind of almost getting there with this 3d cg thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's still got that Japanese stiffness that most of their CGI has, but now it looks like the FFT: War of the Lions movies, of which the sketchy lines distract enough that I don't really mind.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LordMune posted:

There's a fancy new trailer.

Looks like they might have a new shader going on that mitigates the PlayStation 2 quality of it all a bit. The brief shot of Farnese's group shows that they're not afraid to use a bit of color either, which is nice as most adaptations have gone for fairly drab color schemes.
Yeah that is a big improvement.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
HIrasawa still got it after all these years.

The animation doesn't mesh as well as I would have liked but it looks like its getting there.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Still looks a little janky, but I like it! Though, really, if they do the arc justice, I'll automatically like it.

I don't know about you guys, but with the short burst of awesome Rickert chapters, getting off the boat and now this, I actually think it's a good time to be a Berserk fan. :toot:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

oh hey suddenly I'm a little bit excited for the new series

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I don't want to get my hopes up a whole lot, but this:

Awesome Welles posted:

Miura himself will be an executive supervisor for the series
is very promising, and I think we might already be seeing his influence in the bold color choices for the characters. He's never been credited for anything but the "Original Work" on any other adaptation AFAIK.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like it. The colors are a little flat still but everything else looks fine.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I feel like putting up July 4th celebrations for the summer premiere more than anything else. This will be good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

that guy made a dumb post about Dark Souls combat

Berserk is cool

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I feel like putting up July 4th celebrations for the summer premiere more than anything else. This will be good.

Friend, what is your avatar from? It is for a project.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LordMune posted:

There's a fancy new trailer.

Looks like they might have a new shader going on that mitigates the PlayStation 2 quality of it all a bit. The brief shot of Farnese's group shows that they're not afraid to use a bit of color either, which is nice as most adaptations have gone for fairly drab color schemes.

Holy poo poo that's a huge improvement

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I have hope.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Really liking the updated look they've got going. It won't just be shaders. It's hard to say for certain but looking at how the cross hatch shading didn't move on a 1:1 level with the models there's at least some separate overlay being done there (unless I'm just misinterpreting what I'm seeing) but that's not surprising. I'd be willing to bet the first trailer we saw was from pre-production and more of a proof of concept, test footage affair.

Ccs posted:

I like it. The colors are a little flat still but everything else looks fine.

Flat colours are pretty much the concession you have to make in CG if you don't want it looking, you know, heavily CG. It's really impressive, honestly. Other than the faces which, while great looking, still scream 3D model the bodies look 2D to me. Puck, in fact, looks totally 2D. I'm really curious as to how they're making this now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They have a 2D studio on staff as well so they're probably doing some compositing of 2d and 3d. Maybe 2d eyes/faces with 3d bodies.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Butt Ghost posted:

I have hope.

Yeah, it definitely looks better.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The_Frag_Man posted:

Friend, what is your avatar from? It is for a project.
Dilbert as gently caress. I want it changed soon.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the rear end avs aren't from dilbert

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
white hat at dawn, hawks be warned, red hat at night, behelit's delight

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jiggle physics

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
So has anyone noticed the massive inspirations that Verserk had on Dark Souls 3? I know it influenced the series heavily already but there are way more references and tributes in this one it feels like. The entire undead settlement is like the Holy See, there's an enemy like Mozgus and his disciples, and there is a straight up Guts inner-monster hound beast. It's great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The stuff you do in DS3 eventually causes an eclipse and a bunch of weird monsters to appear, though they've more like ash dragons in this case.
Then again Bloodborne does that too maybe Miyazaki just loves hosed eclipses.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I mean, there is an eclipse built into every DS logo...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dark souls 1 has zodd as a boss

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Also Guts sort of in the DLC.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Sort-of? Artorias is Berserker Armor Guts.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I was happy to see lots of references to the Tower of Conviction in DS3. The evangelists look a lot like Mozgus (except they're all women) and even have an attack where they whack you with a huge book. The enemies with black hoods look like one of his underlings too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And Horace looks a lot like that dude Guts killed in that battle at the start of the Golden Age, before Griffith showed up.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
You mean Bazuso? The guy who is also the inspiration for Catarina Onion Armor?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Sort-of? Artorias is Berserker Armor Guts.

i dont see it

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

i dont see it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Doesn't have the collar and the hat doesn't have air holes but it's pretty similar.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

scary ghost dog posted:

i dont see it

i dont see it

you don't have to see it because the makers have confirmed the connection

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No similarities at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Andrast posted:

No similarities at all.

i meam the pose is the same but the armor couldnt look more different and artorias doesnt use a giant sword

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

scary ghost dog posted:

i meam the pose is the same but the armor couldnt look more different and artorias doesnt use a giant sword

The hell he doesn't. It's not dragonslayer-huge but it's big enough. Some of his moves are ripped straight from the chapter where the berserker armor is introduced, right down to the floppy useless broken arm. His backstory is pretty similar too.

He's even got the wolf.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of Berserk refs:

From some leaked shots of DS3 from a year ago, sadly the finished game didn't have all the swords stuck into the ground.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I just sort of automatically assume that any Japanese IP that features dark medieval imagery is riffing off of Berserk at this point, which is understandable considering how old the series is.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
It's also understandable considering how good the series is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Duh.

Just noticed that the Kin Larvae from Bloodborne look like the Demon Miscarriage.