Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'd love to try one of those, but I just know it can't handle my mutant Florida grass. I switched from a gas powered Craftsman to a 56V Ego unit and I've been really pleased with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
This 65" UHD TV:

It's out of stock all over the place because the 2016 models are coming out, but I was able to snag one for $900. The brightness drops off a little at the corners, but overall I'm pretty impressed with the picture quality. Getting this thing wall-mounted is going to be interesting.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've been seriously impressed with Vizio TVs lately. They're great for the price.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're like double the weight of the big brands though, which is unfortunate for my setup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do they keep trying to add software to TVs. The Netflix/Youtube whatever apps are always terrible. TV companies don't know how to do software. It's why Roku/Apple TV are still so popular.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
My 55" vizio weighs 35 lbs so I don't think that's accurate.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rolo posted:

I've been seriously impressed with Vizio TVs lately. They're great for the price.

I thought they were a big brand these days? They get put on the high-end screen comparison sites.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

My 55" vizio weighs 35 lbs so I don't think that's accurate.

Oh, I meant in 42" (the max for the room I'm shopping for), not necessarily in general. I haven't looked at others.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do they keep trying to add software to TVs. The Netflix/Youtube whatever apps are always terrible. TV companies don't know how to do software. It's why Roku/Apple TV are still so popular.

The Netflix app on my TVs (a Vizio and a Bravia) is way better than the one on my Apple TV. Granted it's a first generation ATV but still, the difference is huge.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess Vizio finally realized that, because their upcoming models just do it all through Google Cast instead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

I guess Vizio finally realized that, because their upcoming models just do it all through Google Cast instead.

Yeah my Bravia is just basically Android.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Mu Zeta posted:

In addition to being slow as hell, my Samsung is actually incapable of doing anything "smart" until it finishes its DRM handshake or whatever with official Samsung servers, which takes anywhere from 2-30 minutes after power on. :mad:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

But it sucks if you have loads of trees and you need to trim after a windy day or a storm.

Uhh it's meant for cutting grass only, not trimming trees.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We picked up a Vizio for the bedroom last year, a 32" smart TV. We got one of the models that has an issue that Netflix makes it restart after a few minutes of watching anything :(

Fortunately Pandora and IHeartRadio work fine so I just hooked up my old PS3 to it for Netflix. Not enough wifi reception in the room for my Amazon TV stick either.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
with chromecast and the DirecTV app, my old, unused smartphone is now a TV/netflix/hulu/hbogo/etc. universal remote.

Next Step is to get it a wireless charging station for ultimate, unnecessary convenience.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think TV companies build apps into their TVs to trick old people into thinking that buying the TV is how you get the service. "Jimmy has the Net Flicks, and he watches it all the time! This TV has it, lets get it."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The issue was the weak rear end CPUs they put in them originally couldn't handle the apps. Over the last couple of years at least the high end sets have had more powerful ones that do fine.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Things I bought at an upstate flea market:
-dad hat that says "leave me alone"
-black sabbath t-shirt
-biker jacket someone painted "AC/DC" on the back of
-yellow sports walkman (with original headphones and a cassette of Like A Virgin)
-novelty "bomb bags"
-Pokemon cards

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a new grill brush because my old one was crap.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The issue was the weak rear end CPUs they put in them originally couldn't handle the apps. Over the last couple of years at least the high end sets have had more powerful ones that do fine.

Yeah, my Sharp Aquos that I picked up two years ago runs Netflix and Youtube just fine for me. It had issues with Netflix at first, but I realized it wasn't actually the Netflix app, it's that the built in wifi has a really lovely range. I moved the wireless router to a different spot in the house and have had zero issues with it since. My only complaint is that the TV won't interface with my NAS so I can't stream from it. That wasn't really why I set up a NAS so it wasn't really a total loss, just would have been a cool benefit.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Things I bought at an upstate flea market:
-black sabbath t-shirt
-biker jacket someone painted "AC/DC" on the back of
-yellow sports walkman (with original headphones and a cassette of Like A Virgin)
-novelty "bomb bags"
-Pokemon cards

You buy real real good things.

Also please post pictures of:

quote:

-dad hat that says "leave me alone"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

AnimalChin posted:

You buy real real good things.

Also please post pictures of:

You got it:

Bonus pic of my jacket:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

11 months after I bought an electric car, and 4 months before I move out of this apartment, I have finally completed the epic permits-and-plans-and-mother-may-I quest to install a charger at home.

It is not the right charger and so it charges more slowly than it might otherwise, but it works, so I'm not going to gently caress around with it at this point.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AC Lightning DC is my favourite orchestra.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

AC Lightning DC is my favourite orchestra.

Their use of Thunder Strikes is epic.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

11 months after I bought an electric car, and 4 months before I move out of this apartment, I have finally completed the epic permits-and-plans-and-mother-may-I quest to install a charger at home.

It is not the right charger and so it charges more slowly than it might otherwise, but it works, so I'm not going to gently caress around with it at this point.

Is the red tape from the apartment complex or the city?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bonus pic of my jacket:

Return it, it's backwards.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpartanIV posted:

Is the red tape from the apartment complex or the city?

The building owners somewhat, but mostly the city and PG&E. PG&E's standard for installation of separate EV meters changed while we were mid-process, apparently, so everything got screwed up. I could have made it go faster, if I had been willing to be more annoying, but antagonizing my landlords didn't seem like a great plan.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Aphrodite posted:

Return it, it's backwards.

That's not a mirror, I framed a picture of me in my new jacket.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

I've never made popcorn over a stove before. How do I make sure the popped kernels are not getting burned while the rest of the ub-popped kernels are popping?

The trick is to heat the oil first. Put in the oil and three unpopped kernels. After all three of those kernels pop then add your big scoop of kernels, give it a brief shake to coat them with the ho oil, and put the pot back on the heat. Take it off the heat when the rate of popping starts to slow (this happens very quickly). Walla, perfect popcorn every time!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Voila

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Viola

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
It's 'Waldo' you British idiot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm not a musician.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Walla ackbar

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

a-salami bacon

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
walla bacon a salami

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bonus pic of my jacket:

When you said someone had painted AC/DC on the back, I had anticipated a much less well executed paint job. It looks great!

I got back from my first vacation in many years last week, it was a cruise.

I purchased the premium drink plan before getting on, which is a good choice. It gets you whatever mixed drinks you want, almost all the wine, any beer except Chimay and...wait...

Muthafuggin Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. As much of it as you want.

As much.

As I wanted.

I can't afford that stuff in real life and I ensured that I got my money's worth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A pint of lager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think I might have worked on Freedom of the Seas. It's fairly large.