Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

any word on whether matchmaking for bluecops/watchdogs is getting looked at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Andrast posted:

What are you farming souls for?

Buying absolutely everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Merauder posted:

So just got to the Princes fight. That's certainly a thing. :stare:

Just got to there and something about the timing of their swings just wrecks me like I'm a fraction of a second off dodging all the time. Doesn't help that even if I do get an opening to punish I can only ever get a single attack in because they're so quick.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lol come on FROM this is just ridiculous, wtf. there aren't even any enemies in between there.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Yeah some of the bonfire placing choices felt really odd

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Chard posted:

lol come on FROM this is just ridiculous, wtf. there aren't even any enemies in between there.

My most rated message is "pointless?" in front of that bonfire.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weird side effect of every boss having a bonfire when you beat it, the same thing happened in Bloodborne and that was even more amusing because there were a lot less lanterns but occasionally you'd get two right next to each other when you hadn't seen a new one since the start of the zone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uhhh it's for the runback to two princes (the dragonslayer that is).

Sakurazuka posted:

Weird side effect of every boss having a bonfire when you beat it, the same thing happened in Bloodborne and that was even more amusing because there were a lot less lanterns but occasionally you'd get two right next to each other when you hadn't seen a new one since the start of the zone.

that too.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The bonfires bracketing the Irithyll bridge and the one at the Low Wall immediately before the Undead Settlement's first bonfire...

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Champion Gundyr is really hard but the fight looks so cool. Like, blocking a kick with your shield and then dodging a massive axe-slam is badass as heck.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The one of the start of Irithyll bridge is because of that fucker on it I beat it first go though

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Chard posted:

They also put a key directly in front of the locked door it goes to

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, I need to upload the video of me and Gundyr killing each other at the same time. Win is a win and it still counted so it's not like I could go back and do it properly.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The bonfire at the center of the crucifixion woods is the weirdest one

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Boomstick Quaid posted:

They also put a key directly in front of the locked door it goes to

That key doesn't spawn unless you kill the other three Lords of ember. So that's kind of the reason. I mean I guess they could pull a dark souls 1/2 and it doesn't open unless you have the other Lord souls.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Princes actually only took me a few attempts. One death on phase 1, then got to phase 2 and died immediately, one other death at phase 2 and then got it down. I did end up downing the big guy in phase 2 not realizing he's just rez again, but still managed to finish. Neat fight.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Oh good, a lift down to a Toxic swamp full of monstrocities.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

That key doesn't spawn unless you kill the other three Lords of ember. So that's kind of the reason. I mean I guess they could pull a dark souls 1/2 and it doesn't open unless you have the other Lord souls.

Really? That's disappointing. I'm not seeing any reason for them to do that, storywise, but okay, I guess.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Ometeotl posted:

If you don't like where the elevator takes you consider getting off at another floor!!

or

Try rolling

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kikkelivelho posted:

The bonfire at the center of the crucifixion woods is the weirdest one

I almost completely missed that one. It's good for running to the Crystal Sages, assuming it takes you more than one go.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Sakurazuka posted:

I almost completely missed that one. It's good for running to the Crystal Sages, assuming it takes you more than one go.

I did completely miss that one when I went through. Found it last night doing some back tracking looking for something else and was so confused.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sakurazuka posted:

Even that one saves you only like a whole fifteen seconds and all the other summons are at the other bonfire.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Ometeotl posted:

try pyromancy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Archdeacon set mentions that there are three archdeacons. One leads the Dudes of the Dank, and another is McDonnel running the Aldritch covenant. Is the third one anywhere in the game?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Internet Kraken posted:

The Archdeacon set mentions that there are three archdeacons. One leads the Dudes of the Dank, and another is McDonnel running the Aldritch covenant. Is the third one anywhere in the game?

He's mentioned on some item, but I forget what.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Btw, im not sure if this works in PvP too, but if you land any knockdown attack on an opponent (like backstab or riposte) and immediatly charge up a heavy attack (like during the animation really), you will hit him in the first vulnerability frame 99/100 times.
Since this usually staggers him, you can land a follow-up normal heavy attack 90/100 times (provided your weapon has the range to do this without moving and your not using curved swords).
Got me through the abyss watchers pretty good.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Btw, im not sure if this works in PvP too, but if you land any knockdown attack on an opponent (like backstab or riposte) and immediatly charge up a heavy attack (like during the animation really), you will hit him in the first vulnerability frame 99/100 times.
Since this usually staggers him, you can land a follow-up normal heavy attack 90/100 times (provided your weapon has the range to do this without moving and your not using curved swords).
Got me through the abyss watchers pretty good.

You can also set up sacred flames with this

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Re:bonfire chat. Does anyone agree that the longest stretch without seeing another bonfire is ithyrall dungeon? When you really think about it though if you take the shortest path between each bonfire, UT could take you like 30 seconds of running between each bonfire (assume any doors are open or bosses are defeated.)

Maybe ithyrall or grand archive have the longest before you see a new bonfire (and they double back to the original bonfire twice)

Weird bonfire placement is the new lava elevator.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Ineffiable posted:

Re:bonfire chat. Does anyone agree that the longest stretch without seeing another bonfire is ithyrall dungeon? When you really think about it though if you take the shortest path between each bonfire, UT could take you like 30 seconds of running between each bonfire (assume any doors are open or bosses are defeated.)

Maybe ithyrall or grand archive have the longest before you see a new bonfire (and they double back to the original bonfire twice)

Grand Archives, easily. What a loving nightmare. The hardest death march of the game for me.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Internet Kraken posted:

An item says he serves Rosaria. My guess is he's the non-hostile grub holding the staff that drops the red sign soapstone. The staff has the symbol of one of the saints on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Irithyll Dungeon probably but Catherdral of the Deep before you opened the first short cut on the right side of the bonfire felt like the longest to me, probably because I kept getting killed by the gank squads of those things that drop from walls/ceilings.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

argondamn posted:

There's a cool bug right now where if you take it on and off repeatedly you get instant regen ticks.

I love you

edit: if I write a macro that rapidly takes this on and off as fast as the controller inputs will allow me, is that 'fair play' :v:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

The Archdeacon skirt says that the third one gave up his faith and began worshipping Rosaria instead.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

So yeah, Aldritch was an instant summon at 49, I was getting so many I was worried that I wouldn't be able to take my covenant off in time. Absolutely nothing with Darkmoon though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I think I am missing something. I have Watchdogs Covenant equipped, and I see the symbol flashing white - which I assume means I can be summoned to defend, but how do I actually do it?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Is there a quick guide to getting all (or most) of the quests and NPC interactions completed? I missed most of that stuff initially, and I want to get that stuff in NG+. Skipping the Cathedral until I had gotten to dungeon sorta hosed some stuff up for me, so I guess I need to follow the "correct" path. And I guess there might be some NPC summons that I'll need to look for and use?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Grand Archives, easily. What a loving nightmare. The hardest death march of the game for me.

Grand Archives has like a bajillion shortcuts, though. I guess if you're dying to the three man gank squad it's kind of long, but you should have an elevator, then a ladder that takes you right to them.

Sakurazuka posted:

Irithyll Dungeon probably but Catherdral of the Deep before you opened the first short cut on the right side of the bonfire felt like the longest to me, probably because I kept getting killed by the gank squads of those things that drop from walls/ceilings.

Yeah the roof section was lovely for me the first time. NG+ I just ran past everything and ignored the loot.

Ineffiable posted:

Technically true but they have great level design, with multiple shortcuts and hidden paths.

Seems like they have some simple rules-

-bonfire at start of the zone
-bonfire after beating boss

Sometimes these are redundant, like Dragonslayer to Grand Archives, but that allows them to move encounters around without worrying about how it effects bonfire placement.

and then

-spread out horizontal zones have multiple bonfires
-compressed vertical zones have few bonfires but lots of shortcuts

Also there's some zones like Profaned Capital that really should just be considered an extension of the Dungeons (and I think is, in the bonfire travel menu)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

HaB posted:

So I think I am missing something. I have Watchdogs Covenant equipped, and I see the symbol flashing white - which I assume means I can be summoned to defend, but how do I actually do it?

You'll get automatically summoned. I was having good luck around level 30 with a +2 weapon.

Slanderer posted:

Is there a quick guide to getting all (or most) of the quests and NPC interactions completed? I missed most of that stuff initially, and I want to get that stuff in NG+. Skipping the Cathedral until I had gotten to dungeon sorta hosed some stuff up for me, so I guess I need to follow the "correct" path. And I guess there might be some NPC summons that I'll need to look for and use?

http://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's like 25 pages ago by now but yesterday someone said to look at the three flaming towers//candles in Farron Keep for some lore stuff?? I went up and used binoculars on them and I can't really make anything out other than the crenelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Brannock posted:

It's like 25 pages ago by now but yesterday someone said to look at the three flaming towers//candles in Farron Keep for some lore stuff?? I went up and used binoculars on them and I can't really make anything out other than the crenelations.

check his post history, for all the sweet lore

he's trolling. but pretty well! Got a bunch of people with some of them including me